Thread: Next historical total war campign map design

Default Next historical total war campign map design

I like Rome 1, Med 2 and Empire because of thier campaign maps are more sandbox. I hate shogun 2, rome 2, attila. Their campaign map occur "corrdiors" . Region havent enough zone . I can choose advantage foothold on map. Hill ,river, woods. I wan to old campign design.. The total war game tunrnparadox eu map..

Default Re: Next historical total war campign map design

The "corridor" map is actually more historically accurate. Armies could not just march in straight line from A to B. They have to follow routes.

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    The "corridor" map is actually more historically accurate. Armies could not just march in straight line from A to B. They have to follow routes.
    This very true. Controlling possible routes of march was historically incredibly important. For an example of how effective controlling of routes can be very decisive, research Napoleon's Italian campaign and the prelude to the Battle of Rivoli.

I do think however this feature would be more engaging if the map was a lot more zoomed in, where we could have multiple routes of advance for a somewhat small area whereas atm its one route for quite a large area which diminishes the strategic depth this feature would have in my opinion. This also leads to certain cities being more strategically important than if the map was more open, for example Aquileia guards pretty much the only route into North Italy along the Adriatic, and as such was a very important city to hold, and played an important role in blunting Attila's invasion of Italy following his Gallic campaign.

I want to see less cliffs. It's insane how there's almost no beaches because someone decided to make the spots where you can't land look like that. It's innacurate and looks ugly. This brings me to point 2: NO INSTA-TRANSPORTS. Go back to the old formula: you need a fleet to transport armies.
    I also want smaller cities, in Attila and Rome 2 cities look like we're in the present, not in a time where one city with a million people was one of the biggest in the world not an average one.

There were corridors in Rome 1 in the important areas.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Rome 2 ,Attla map already have just straight line from A to B. Biggest City , mountains .. Unrealistic map . Rome1 ,Med 2 map designe more realistic. Attila ,Rome 2 region zones are narrower. It is silly. Just Generate unit move A from B city. Because CA couldnt proper AI.. laziness.. Anyone dont get taste new total war. Rome 1, Med 2, empire are best total war for fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngazi View Post
    There were corridors in Rome 1 in the important areas.
    But not all. Just Italy.

Rome 1 and Med 2 have the WORST maps among all Total War games and you like them? Wow.

Shogun 2 map by far the best IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Falcon View Post
    Rome 1 and Med 2 have the WORST maps among all Total War games and you like them? Wow.

Shogun 2 map by far the best IMHO.
    well you dont express your opinion humbly at all, personally i like the med2 map, for me it's not all about how good trees or mountains look

if they combined shogun 2 map looks with med 2 map practicality it would perfect

EDIT: moded med2 campaign map is almost on par with rome2/attila

Ohh guys. I dont mention looking or graphics ((((

I'd rather the macro whole-world map be more like risk. I have these two armies in province X. Then, if you invaded that province, you'd zoom in and there'd be a "campaign" map, where each force slowly moved along roads, streams, and through valleys till they met somewhere and fought a battle.

That way, you'd have a whole new setting to have real-time strategy in. Do you wait on one side of a river for them to approach united or do you rush forward and fight the enemy while they're divided.

This would also give rise to "scouts" being important. Imagine if you DIDNT know where the enemy armies were ALL THE TIME when they were in your province. You might have to actually scout forwards with a splinter force to find the enemy (and maybe you get ambushed, or set up an ambush)

It's totally silly that we use entire armies to ambush with. It's more realistic that a small raiding party or scouting force comes upon a large enemy army and sets up a carefully organized ambush to take them out

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius Silvanus Tacitus View Post
    I want to see less cliffs. It's insane how there's almost no beaches because someone decided to make the spots where you can't land look like that. It's innacurate and looks ugly. This brings me to point 2: NO INSTA-TRANSPORTS. Go back to the old formula: you need a fleet to transport armies.
    I also want smaller cities, in Attila and Rome 2 cities look like we're in the present, not in a time where one city with a million people was one of the biggest in the world not an average one.
    A city from the engine will never be as big as the cities of the hellenistic era and late antiquity. Together with suburbs, real civitas absolutely dwarf Rome 2 and Attila large settlements. The only cities that come close are Rome and Constantinople. With Attila its nice and easy because we know what the cities looked like in Roman times, Tarraco, Bordeaux, Zaragoza, and many others including literally every Italian city on the map are modern day, well known cities. One million is a ton of people.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 10, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    A city from the engine will never be as big as the cities of the hellenistic era and late antiquity. Together with suburbs, real civitas absolutely dwarf Rome 2 and Attila large settlements. The only cities that come close are Rome and Constantinople. With Attila its nice and easy because we know what the cities looked like in Roman times, Tarraco, Bordeaux, Zaragoza, and many others including literally every Italian city on the map are modern day, well known cities. One million is a ton of people.
    I meant how they look on the campaign map: they are way too big and most of all they have a big zone of influence. I know the latter is not such a big isssue anymore but the former still is. On the campaign map cities are way too big.
    On the battle map on the other hand you are right, they are too small. I also think that we need more battle-map variety: more layouts that vary according to how big the city is or what buildings are there. Right now there are only 3 levels: no walls, "basic walls" and "high walls". Although I like the unique cities I kind of wish again, as you said that they were bigger on the battle map but not on the campaign map.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius Silvanus Tacitus View Post
    I meant how they look on the campaign map: they are way too big and most of all they have a big zone of influence. I know the latter is not such a big isssue anymore but the former still is. On the campaign map cities are way too big.
    On the battle map on the other hand you are right, they are too small. I also think that we need more battle-map variety: more layouts that vary according to how big the city is or what buildings are there. Right now there are only 3 levels: no walls, "basic walls" and "high walls". Although I like the unique cities I kind of wish again, as you said that they were bigger on the battle map but not on the campaign map.
    Oh, true. Got you now. Some of them seemed too small in Empire: TW IMO though, especially resources and schools.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 10, 2016 at 02:04 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

I like the changes. There should be a vsriety of terrain in regions. A smaller nation should be able to hold out longer if it'd in compartmentslized terrain, while a strong army might br necessary if you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    I'd rather the macro whole-world map be more like risk. I have these two armies in province X. Then, if you invaded that province, you'd zoom in and there'd be a "campaign" map, where each force slowly moved along roads, streams, and through valleys till they met somewhere and fought a battle.

That way, you'd have a whole new setting to have real-time strategy in. Do you wait on one side of a river for them to approach united or do you rush forward and fight the enemy while they're divided.

This would also give rise to "scouts" being important. Imagine if you DIDNT know where the enemy armies were ALL THE TIME when they were in your province. You might have to actually scout forwards with a splinter force to find the enemy (and maybe you get ambushed, or set up an ambush)

It's totally silly that we use entire armies to ambush with. It's more realistic that a small raiding party or scouting force comes upon a large enemy army and sets up a carefully organized ambush to take them out
    Yeah ,this

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope The next Campaign map will be really bigger in scale. You must be able to choose a right position to stop ur army. You must be able to take into account particular terrain and other specs. So the map must be really zoomed in. Plus I hope they will introduce some new mechanics of city locations, city walls, villages and things like that. The present one is too weak and simple.
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

Med 2 Campaign Map
    http://tinypic.com/m/j9278z/1

Attila Camapaign Map
    http://tinypic.com/m/j927et/1

Compare

Attila 's City and Army Interaction Zone bigger
    Attila map ocuurs just few corrdior. Rome1/Med2 more corrdiors and zones.

If you are in the foothills in campign , you are in foothils war rts map.. Attila /rome 2 rts map is more rondom.

You can build fort for closed corridors in Rome/med 2. You can settled fronto of river. you can withdraw on foothill. You have advantage. Cities are very near or Your amy moving are more long in Attila/rome2. Attila/rome 2 are more lighter strategy gamethan Med /rome 1.

If Med3 have same campaign map design such as Rome2/attila /warhammer , It would be reskinned garbage..
    Med 2 Campign map is more realsitic. I talk about Anatolia.
    Last edited by CagatayKhan; March 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM.