Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMPERIA ET BARBARI presentation and feedback

Default IMPERIA ET BARBARI presentation and feedback

This is a presentation of the Playable factions.

For the main campaign the Avars, Magyars, Hara Huna, Gepides, Iazyges, Gaetuli, Makouria, Parskahayastan, Aguank and Kushanshas are made playable with campaign victory conditions enabled.

For The Last Roman DLC Campaign, the factions are modified and no new ones are playable.

For the Age of Charlemagne DLC, the factions are modified and no new ones are playable.

Default Re: IMPERIIS ET BARBARORUM - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

Very good work, keep it up.
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

Default Re: IMPERIIS ET BARBARORUM - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

Hi, Your mod seems to be good i tried it just a little and look good. But i have a question. I like, unlock all unit quickly and same thing for IA. So where do i must edit your files in Pack File Manager, which line ? Or do i just need a random 2X tech rate on steamworkshop and edit it by myself ? Thx for your answer.

Sorry for my poor English.

Elianus's Avatar Ordinarius

Cot dayum! I was thinking about returning to Attila this morning and I saw this thread. Outstanding, can't wait to try your new piece of work, friend.
    ''Πας μη Έλλην, βάρβαρος.''

Tryggvi's Avatar Libertus

IMPERIIS ET BARBARORUM
    I'm sorry, what does it mean? As far as I know, in Latin, 'Empires and Barbarians' should be 'Imperia et Barbari'.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicate Strawberry View Post
    Very good work, keep it up.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Elianus View Post
    Cot dayum! I was thinking about returning to Attila this morning and I saw this thread. Outstanding, can't wait to try your new piece of work, friend.
    Look forward to your feedback, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhuss View Post
    Hi, Your mod seems to be good i tried it just a little and look good. But i have a question. I like, unlock all unit quickly and same thing for IA. So where do i must edit your files in Pack File Manager, which line ? Or do i just need a random 2X tech rate on steamworkshop and edit it by myself ? Thx for your answer.

Sorry for my poor English.
    Hi Pyrrhuss

Thank you, I understand you

Most units are available from level-2 buildings and up, and I have disabled almost every unit upgrade (availability) via technology research. This is due to the short time span of the campaigns. Units can be made available from level-1 buildings. But it requires a lot of editing in the building_units_allowed_tables

cheers
    iutland

Quote Originally Posted by Tryggvi View Post
    I'm sorry, what does it mean? As far as I know, in Latin, 'Empires and Barbarians' should be 'Imperia et Barbari'.
    My Latin is not very good and the name could be incorrect. If other people can confirm what you are writing, the mod name can be edited.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Imperiis would be 2nd Declension (Neuter) Dative or Ablative plural, Barbarorum is 2nd Declension Genetive plural. You want 2nd Declension nominative plural, which is "Imperia et Barbari".

Although really Imperia refers to autocratic authority, not to an empire per se. Just like Vasileia in Greek refers to sovereignty, not to a nation/kingdom per se. Since the concepts are slightly different, it's difficult to translate, as you understand there was no defined nation with borders: the Empire in the minds of the Romans was a concept of their authority, not of what lands actually constituted that empire.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; March 05, 2016 at 09:34 AM.

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

Just played a little bit for now. What I can say, this is come piece of work! I'll be looking forward for more updates on this mod.

+rep for making just the mod I was looking for .

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Imperiis would be 2nd Declension (Neuter) Dative or Ablative plural, Barbarorum is 2nd Declension Genetive plural. You want 2nd Declension nominative plural, which is "Imperia et Barbari".

Although really Imperia refers to autocratic authority, not to an empire per se. Just like Vasileia in Greek refers to sovereignty, not to a nation/kingdom per se. Since the concepts are slightly different, it's difficult to translate, as you understand there was no defined nation with borders: the Empire in the minds of the Romans was a concept of their authority, not of what lands actually constituted that empire.
    Thanks for the explanation, +Rep to both of you

Quote Originally Posted by xxxMoRaVexxx View Post
    Just played a little bit for now. What I can say, this is come piece of work! I'll be looking forward for more updates on this mod.

+rep for making just the mod I was looking for .
    Thank you

Default Re: IMPERIA ET BARBARI - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

This mod now needs its own hosted forum.
    Last edited by Ritmas; March 05, 2016 at 11:57 AM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: IMPERIA ET BARBARI - a major overhaul modification of Attila Total War. Initial release v1.0, 2016-03-04

There is no proof for Makuria already existing at 395 AD. If i remember right its capital Dongola wasnt even founded yet.
    You should just went with already existing Nobadia instead if you want a playable Nubian faction.
    And btw., why are the Gaetuli a playable faction? Afaik they dont even existed at that time anymore.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; March 05, 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    There is no proof for Makuria already existing at 395 AD. If i remember right its capital Dongola wasnt even founded yet.
    You should just went with already existing Nobadia instead if you want a playable Nubian faction.
    And btw., why are the Gaetuli a playable faction? Afaik they dont even existed at that time anymore.
    Dear Linus

As far as I can research with my humble skills, I can't find any evidence that the Makourian/Makurian tribe did no exist after the collapse of Meroë around 350 AD.

The Gaetuli is playable because I decided they should be so. Fortunately, I'm free to make such a decision

Mr. Thomas A. Lessman has produced some rather interesting World History Maps, which places both Makuria and Gaetuli tribes/people on the African continent in 400 A.D.

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/ima...-Hem_400ad.jpg

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

Since I'm not enlightened enough to question his research, could I kindly ask you to contact Mr. Lessman and let him know that he got it wrong?

Thank you
    iutland

PS. What was your experience playing IEB??

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Iutland View Post
    Dear Linus

As far as I can research with my humble skills, I can't find any evidence that the Makourian/Makurian tribe did no exist after the collapse of Meroë around 350 AD.

The Gaetuli is playable because I decided they should be so. Fortunately, I'm free to make such a decision

Mr. Thomas A. Lessman has produced some rather interesting World History Maps, which places both Makuria and Gaetuli tribes/people on the African continent in 400 A.D.

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/ima...-Hem_400ad.jpg

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

Since I'm not enlightened enough to question his research, could I kindly ask you to contact Mr. Lessman and let him know that he got it wrong?

Thank you
    iutland
    Those maps are not entirely professionaly researched, especially when its about more obscure factions. Let me summarize the situation in late antique Nubia very quickly:

We have the Nubians, who tried to penetrate into the Nile valley since atleast the first century BC, eventually even earlier. With the weakening and death of Meroe, which was something between 350 and 370 AD, eventually even 400 AD, if one consider the El-Hobagi culture as a late phase of the Kushite kingdom, they were finally able to settle between the first and the sixth Nilecataract. The first recorded political entity is Nobadia in the far north of modern Sudan, which transformed itself from a rather loosley organized chiefdom to a proper kingdom during the fifth century. Nobadia was in constant fighting with the Blemmyes, and in around 450 AD they expulsed the Blemmyes from their capital at Talmis/Kalabsha, making them the ruler of the whole territoy between the first and third cataract.

About the situation further south we are much less well informed, since we lack both indigenous and external written sources. As already mentioned, Dongola hadnt been founded yet, and we dont know when the political entity we call Makuria had been founded. There are assumptions that pre-Christian Makuria matches with the El-Zuma culture, but all in all we are just way to bad informed about that area.
    Even further south it gets even worse. We know that Soba, the latter capital of Alodia, existed already in Meroitic times, but we dont know its role in post-Meroitic times. All we know is that it was massively enhanced in the sixth century, eventually parallel to the christianization of Alodia.

Conclusion:
    Nobadia is the only plausible Nubian faction for a 395 AD campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Iutland View Post
    PS. What was your experience playing IEB??
    Sry, but i dont really play Attila except of a couple of MP matches during some rare occasions.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; March 05, 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Wow! This was really something! Great job! You should get your own hosted forum for this!

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Look great, I will try it later. No Steam version?
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Those maps are not entirely professionaly researched, especially when its about more obscure factions. Let me summarize the situation in late antique Nubia very quickly:

We have the Nubians, who tried to penetrate into the Nile valley since atleast the first century BC, eventually even earlier. With the weakening and death of Meroe, which was something between 350 and 370 AD, eventually even 400 AD, if one consider the El-Hobagi culture as a late phase of the Kushite kingdom, they were finally able to settle between the first and the sixth Nilecataract. The first recorded political entity is Nobadia in the far north of modern Sudan, which transformed itself from a rather loosley organized chiefdom to a proper kingdom during the fifth century. Nobadia was in constant fighting with the Blemmyes, and in around 450 AD they expulsed the Blemmyes from their capital at Talmis/Kalabsha, making them the ruler of the whole territoy between the first and third cataract.

About the situation further south we are much less well informed, since we lack both indigenous and external written sources. As already mentioned, Dongola hadnt been founded yet, and we dont know when the political entity we call Makuria had been founded. There are assumptions that pre-Christian Makuria matches with the El-Zuma culture, but all in all we are just way to bad informed about that area.
    Even further south it gets even worse. We know that Soba, the latter capital of Alodia, existed already in Meroitic times, but we dont know its role in post-Meroitic times. All we know is that it was massively enhanced in the sixth century, eventually parallel to the christianization of Alodia.

Conclusion:
    Nobadia is the only plausible Nubian faction for a 395 AD campaign.

Sry, but i dont really play Attila except of a couple of MP matches during some rare occasions.
    Thank you for elaborating on the subject, explaining why Nobadia/Nobatia is more representative than Makuria/Makouria in the Attila Total War timeframe. I will give it some thoughts prior to next release, since any necessary changes are very minor.

/iutland

Quote Originally Posted by Slashas View Post
    Wow! This was really something! Great job! You should get your own hosted forum for this!
    Thanks, application for hosted mod forum is submitted now.

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    Look great, I will try it later. No Steam version?
    Thank you no hosting at Steam for the time being. Intellectual Property rights for any mod contents is to a large extent transferred to Valve, when releasing the mod at Steam (with no compensation of course).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast