Thread: A Question About Camps and Settled Factions

Icon5 A Question About Camps and Settled Factions

Hi all. I'm running through my first Romani campaign, having a blast, and I just conquered my first Camp province (a Large Camp, if that makes a difference). I have two related question about this.

1. Is it possible to change the holding from a camp to a settlement? If so, how? I've searched around the forums, and I've found how Nomadic factions can change their camps to towns, but can't find if it's possible for other factions (and Rome specifically).

2. Will it be possible to ever establish any form of government other than the Allied States? Perhaps after I convert the camp to a settlement?

If it turns out I can't convert the camp, so be it, no complaints, but if it is possible I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to how.

Thanks in advance guys.

Default Re: A Question About Camps and Settled Factions

Settled factions can't convert camps, not ever. It's specifically a feature for settling-nomads and the Bosporans, who have an affinity with the Sauromatae. This does mean you'll have no option but an Allied Oligarchy there.

You'd have to edit the last building in the EDB with some additional faction names (and not savegame compatible) if you wanted to allow other factions.

Alright then, that makes sense. Appreciate the quick response!

Which building do I need to edit and how do I do it if I want to be able to convert a camp as a settled faction?
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.

Quote Originally Posted by Seimour View Post
    Which building do I need to edit and how do I do it if I want to be able to convert a camp as a settled faction?
    It's literally the last building in the export_descr_buildings, and you add more factions to the list (or simply change it to "all").

Make sure you use Notepad++ to make the change, and back up your original. Once you've done it, you'll need to delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign for it to take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It's literally the last building in the export_descr_buildings, and you add more factions to the list (or simply change it to "all").

Make sure you use Notepad++ to make the change, and back up your original. Once you've done it, you'll need to delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign for it to take effect.
    Thanks! I tried it and it works fine. I am wondering why the hellenic factions cant convert some of the camps around them though. After all, the successors founded or refounded a lot of cities to secure their rule. Anyhow, thanks again.
    The only thing you cannot do with a bayonet is sit on it. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord,1st Prime Minister of France, Prince of Benevento.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Hello,
    Is this change still valid for version 2.2a or is there something more to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Campidoctor

Settled factions can't convert camps, not ever.
    I never know how to ask this without sounding like a curt prick, but why? Just curious as to the rationale so I can justify it to myself if and when the time comes. Also, if I can't, I'd like to second Raiuga's question in previous post on whether or not it's still the same process to change that in current versions.

They have neither the means to coerce a nomadic people to settle (they just ride away), nor the kinship to encourage them to do so.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Is there any scope for changing this using the colonist system, for certain factions? As mentioned above, the Successors come to mind as they founded many towns and cities. If the nomadic former-owners of these camps would just ride away, how about converting to a town by just building one on it? You could make the requirement for colonists as high as you wanted, seeing as you're starting from scratch population-wise.

Campidoctor

They have neither the means to coerce a nomadic people to settle (they just ride away), nor the kinship to encourage them to do so.
    I see. Thanks.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Seimour View Post

In adition to what Quintus said i am adding some info i got from these forums time ago to be able to make what you ask, i havent written down the authors of the workarround , it isnt mine, so if anyone recognice his work here let me know to add at least the credit.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EDB export_descrition_buildings

Search for "CASTLE/CITY CONVERSION BUILDINGS" at the bottom of the file. In the faction list under each building, add the faction you want to make able to convert to that list.

Note it won't work for a game in progress unless you alter the validation settings.

Code:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;; CASTLE/CITY CONVERSION BUILDINGS ;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    building convert_to_city
    {
    levels wooden_castle_to_village stone_keep_to_small_town castle_to_large_town large_castle_to_city fortress_to_city
    {
    wooden_castle_to_village castle requires factions { f_parthia, f_sweboz, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_nabatu, } and hidden_resource mixed and building_present_min_level hinterland_farms_nomadic nomfarms_three ;;;;and building_present_min_level govbospor bosphelnom or building_present_min_level govparthia parth_snt
    {
    convert_to 0
    capability
    {
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 800
    settlement_min village
    upgrades
    {
    stone_keep_to_small_town
    }
    }
    stone_keep_to_small_town castle requires factions { f_parthia, f_sweboz, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_nabatu, } and hidden_resource mixed and building_present_min_level hinterland_farms_nomadic nomfarms_three ;;;and building_present_min_level govbospor bosphelnom or building_present_min_level govparthia parth_snt
    {
    convert_to 1
    capability
    {
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 1200
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    castle_to_large_town
    }
    }
    castle_to_large_town castle requires factions { f_parthia, f_sweboz, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_nabatu, } and hidden_resource mixed and building_present_min_level hinterland_farms_nomadic nomfarms_three ;;;and building_present_min_level govbospor bosphelnom or building_present_min_level govparthia parth_snt
    {
    convert_to 2
    capability
    {
    }
    material wooden
    construction 12
    cost 6000
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    large_castle_to_city
    }
    }
    large_castle_to_city castle requires factions { f_parthia, } and event_counter does_not_exist 1
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 3200
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    fortress_to_city
    }
    }
    fortress_to_city castle requires factions { f_parthia, } and event_counter does_not_exist 1
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 6400
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

It's almost at the end of the EDB. Just put in f_seleukid, inside the brackets.

It worked. Just tested with Ptolemaics, attacked Rekem, and turned it into a prosperous large town.

There was a second change I made, however. I had to make it govallied on the conditions, for the convert buildings along with the nomfarms two and three.

Here's how you edit it to where every faction converts:

1) Download Notepad++
    2) Back up export_descr_buildings
    3) Open NP++, search for castle
    4) There is a small list for factions. Change it to all
    5) Go to nomadfarms, add gov_allied to requirements
    6) Try playing as Ptolemaioi, conquer Rekem, destroy Elite Herds building, build farms

I have modified the file myself and added the faction i wanted to be able to convert the camps ( f_kh, ) in my case. But i have added the gov_allied where they say to add it too. Sadly i cant confirm you this is working, too early in my game and i havent conquered a camp yet. Of course it seems selfexplanatory you are going to need an allied goverment type in the camp to be able to convert it.

I hope this helps.

Regards:

Melvi