Thread: [Submod] Roman Recruitment

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default [Submod] Roman Recruitment

The aim of this submod is to put a bigger emphasis on the use of Auxillary units and local troops instead of relying solely on well trained core Roman infantry. Even though the implementation of the new feature, People of Rome will through its use of different population classes and the need to rely on these classes to recruit troops in itself increase the need to recruit auxillaries, heavy roman core units shouldnt be easily available in far out regions of your empire.
    This submod will increase the recruitment time (number of turns) required to recruit certain core roman units (principes, triarii etc) in order to encourage the player to make greater use of the vast number of auxillary units available for Rome.
    The further away from the Italian peninsula your empire expands, the tougher it will become to reinforce your conquering legions with fresh and well trained Roman soldiers. Not only will it take time for the reinforcements to arrive, harsh weather can also further delay them.
    Below is a map showing the different recruitment increases depending on the region you are recruiting from.
    The base recruitment time (number of turns) is 1, location of recruitment can add as much as 2 turns and harsh weather 1.

MAP:

Green: Normal recruitment
    Blue: Recruitment time +1
    Red: Recruitment time +2
    Harsh weather will increase recruitment time by 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

CURRENT VERSION:

DOWNLOAD LINK

DOWNLOAD LINK - STEAM VERSION

Other versions:

Version 1: Will decrease the recruitment time for the Red areas to +1, giving a maximum recruitment time of +2 (in case of extreme weather)
    Version 2: Will only have the weather to effect recruitment times in regions other than the italian peninsula and surrounding regions (Marked in Green on the map)

DOWNLOAD V1

DOWNLOAD V2

Notes:

Submod is save game compatible
    Submod is compatible with the PoR2 feature of Divide et Impera

Credits:
    Phalangitis for coming up with the idea, for answering all my questions, opening my eyes to the many possibilities of db editing and being a good guy.
    Last edited by Dresden; March 21, 2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: New versions

Default Re: [Experimental Submod] Recruitment mod

Updated with two new versions.
    Version 1 is the light version of the original
    Version 2 will only have extreme weather effect recruitment

Good work! Is this save game compatible?

I believe so. But sadly I dont have time to play and therefore dont have any saves with an empire large enough for the effect to apply. What you could do is, make a copy of your save and test it. If it doesnt work you wont have ruined your original save and if it does work. Then you are good to go
    If you do, I would appreciate if you notified me of your results. Then I can add it to the description.

I have been using this with great fun in my last effort.

Especially in conjunction with the upcoming Peoples of Rome-DEI integration this would be looking very promising to me. I already learned you have some doubts if this may work together seamlessly, but Peoples of Rome and this recruitment mod would be a very immersive combination in my eyes.

If you want to take a look, I also posted one picture of an emergency raised legion which was exclusively made of auxiliaries: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-(ahistorical)

PS

If some folks may be afraid using this, I found 'core legions' very useful for expanded empires. For Marian legions, 5 veterans and one eagle cohort can go anywhere on the map and defend their fortificated camp against almost any opposition. Based on this core you can build very effective legions using auxiliaries around them.