Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...m8?usp=sharing

Flags requested are completed with the following notes:

Seville -- Held by the Almovarid Dynasty at the time. Marked accordingly.
    Salerno -- Done
    Milan -- Done. Biscione is a little early. But by far the most iconic.
    Bishopric of Metz -- Done
    Genoa -- Done (All of the Northern Italian states are still strictly speaking part of the Kingdom Of Italy, which is a part of the H.R.E.)
    Lower Lorraine -- Done
    County of Rouergue -- Held by Counts of Toulouse. Marked as such.
    Taifa of Denia -- Generic Islamic circular art.
    County of Champagne -- Held by Counts of Blois
    County of Bourges -- Likely the Viscounty of Bourges at the time. Added later crest of that family.
    Archdiocese of Reims -- Archbishop of the time was from the Chateau du Loir family. But I used the Reims city crest as it seemed less militaristic.

Re-Added the English wyvern pulled from the Bayeux Tapestry. I just think it looks 'period' and am partial to it.

Wow, that was amazingly fast. Thanks

@athos,

For Saxons, Normans, and Ottonians (Germans), I would stay away from using viking flat round shields because you don't ever see those in artwork. Viking style flat round shields are only ever found as late as the end of the 10th century in Scandinavia, and by then people moved on to using the kite shield in main land Europe. If you want to feature a sort of round shield, use the Carolingian style concaved round shields where you actually do see those in artwork. You can also get away with featuring Carolingian styled units as well if you want an earlier look. Saxons would resemble the Franks from not only the artwork, but there is literature evidence where Mercia attempts to modernize itself to rival the Franks.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4778/14023/

What can I say? I'm excited to see you picking this up, and glad to support the effort.

When it comes to the unit cards. Are you looking for generic? Or specific to each faction? And if so, what are you primary selectable factions?

Its generally accepted that round shields were still in use in 1066. See the link to Bayeux Tapestry panel 72 for an example.
    https://legioilynx.files.wordpress.c...el72_part1.jpg

Even English Heritage (the people who maintain the battlefield and museum) refers to their usage:
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/l...ponry-of-1066/

Thanks slytacular, the germans of this period are something I'm really lacking information on. Will definitely make some changes, especially like the idea of them continuing to use carolingian styles. There does seem to be a preponderance of evidence showing anglo saxons using round shields tho.

As for the unit cards Archangel, they should just fit in with what you've done already. So French, German, Spanish, Italian, Norman, Muslim, English, Norse, Slav and Celtic. They are really good so far, just really need those mid tier units with chainmail and lower quality helms to fill a gap.

Only a helmet change is going to be very hard to distinguish on card form. Likewise on the battlefield there won't be much visual difference. I can do a padded armor tier. Which in game would also present an obvious step between Tier 2 and 3.

The requested tiering with Linke went like this.
    1. Low (Shield only)
    2. Levy (Helmet and Shield)
    3. Regulars (Armor. Helmet and Shield)
    4. Elites (All Above + Capes. Specific unit to each faction.)

To pick your brain. What are your thoughts on unique units to add flavor and accentuate a specific strength like Medieval 2. (Some of these cards already exist)

England - Huscarls (2H Armored Axemen)
    Normandy - Knights (Heavy Horse Spear)
    Norway - Vikings (An extra powerful Axe+Shield Unit. Possibly Aquatic?)
    Spain - Jinete (Light Horse. Javelin and Sword)
    France - Armored Crossbowmen
    Moors - Mounted Archers (Light Cav) with a spear backup. But no Heavy Cav.
    Welsh - Super Skirmishers
    Germany ... (?Paladins? Heavy Sword Cav.)
    Slavs - Armored Horse Archers

Ya I need a unit between the levies and the regulars that has chainmail and a helmet. I guess just give them all round or oval shields depending on the faction. Definitely down to add in unique units too

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel565 View Post
    Only a helmet change is going to be very hard to distinguish on card form. Likewise on the battlefield there won't be much visual difference. I can do a padded armor tier. Which in game would also present an obvious step between Tier 2 and 3.

The requested tiering with Linke went like this.
    1. Low (Shield only)
    2. Levy (Helmet and Shield)
    3. Regulars (Armor. Helmet and Shield)
    4. Elites (All Above + Capes. Specific unit to each faction.)

To pick your brain. What are your thoughts on unique units to add flavor and accentuate a specific strength like Medieval 2. (Some of these cards already exist)

England - Huscarls (2H Armored Axemen)
    Normandy - Knights (Heavy Horse Spear)
    Norway - Vikings (An extra powerful Axe+Shield Unit. Possibly Aquatic?)
    Spain - Jinete (Light Horse. Javelin and Sword)
    France - Armored Crossbowmen
    Moors - Mounted Archers (Light Cav) with a spear backup. But no Heavy Cav.
    Welsh - Super Skirmishers
    Germany ... (?Paladins? Heavy Sword Cav.)
    Slavs - Armored Horse Archers
    Yes please.

Might be an idea to have a few of these available as mercanaries as well? Re HRE units
    Swabian mercenaries saw action against the Normans under Leo IX as an example.

Have you considered giving no factions, or very few, spear/lance cavalry? As has been put down before, knights rarely used couched lances at this time. Spears were more often thrown overhead to harass and skirmish with the enemy before a charge was made into a disrupted formation, but the prevalence of the shield wall made high middle ages charges impossible. Exceptions to this would be maybe the Almoravids, who had used light bamboo lances on their fast cavalry since the Rashidun Caliphate. Both they and any Iberian factions would have Jinetes, so for unique units I'd consider imported Berber noblemen skrmishers, like Numidian Nobles in that they're a versatile medium cavalry. My concern is that the magical bonus versus cavalry spears have always ruined balancing, and most of the time it simply isn't historically accurate to see knights with lances at this time. Horse archers would be seen more often in Sicily than in Spain, because of Byzantine influence.

But to be clear with what I'm thinking and to give an example, look at the Amorican Knights/Cavalry in Age of Vikings, or the Westphalian cav (I forgot their name) in vanilla AoC. They have three extra-powerful throwing spears that do instantly lethal damage to cavalry, good melee stats, and swords. That's basically where cavalry is at in this age, and because of the Normans being everywhere they brought this cavalry with them. It would basically be the standard West European heavy cav unit, with appropriate factions getting the elite versions of these units. William the Conqueror's knights were an experienced and trained retinue, the Sicilian Normans were experienced mercenaries, etc.

I don't have ideas for all the factions, but iirc the Vikings were known to have men skilled at firing bows and going into melee. Maybe a unit similar to the Avar tribesmen, but wielding an axe/shield instead of a spear, with excellent stats would be appropriate? Aforementioned Berber Nobles would work too, or elite slave soldiers. Easiest answer for the Welsh would be longbowmen, but it could also be really annoying Jinete-like skirmisher cav, just more Celtic-looking. Or Celtic factions in general could get better light/medium cavalry, but no heavy cavalry, and few heavy infantry.

Provide credible sources to back up your claims and I'll take it into consideration.

Actually adding in faction based milites at the moment so i will post some screenshots of how I'm differentiating all the various french contingents.

Excited to see progress. Still aiming to be out for Xmas ?
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

Ya gonna try. I feel like Linkes original unit plan was a bit generic so I'm adding in alot more faction specific units which has slowed down the whole thing a bit, but it will be worth it in the end.

Good plan.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

Just a question for the diplomacy I noticed in the screenshots. Would it be more game play appropriate in having the Duchy of Normandy as a tributary of France instead of a puppet, otherwise as I noticed everybody in France declares war on Saxon England?

Any updates so far?

Ya I had to change Normandy to make them a defensive ally, I'm currently in the middle of a move to new place so I havent been able to work on the mod but I'll get back into it soon.

keep up the good work dude

Hey Athos! I have seen that you are going to include several kingdoms of Taifas in this mod and I supposse that also the Almoravids. So if you need help with the flags and for suggestions for the units you can contact with me

is there a working version released for mod? just curious

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by I2ain_2_Battle View Post
    is there a working version released for mod? just curious
    Sorry, not yet.