Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late Roman Legionaries (lorica segmentata) submod for EB II v. 2.1b

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Late Roman Legionaries (lorica segmentata) submod for EB II v. 2.1b

The Late Roman Legionaries Submod for EB II v. 2.1b

MORE PICS: http://imgur.com/a/5vXy8

I really do hate to be that guy, you know the type: "ooh! How neato! I'm a n00b nerd who must anachronistically have lorica segmentata in the 1st century BC, because that's exactly how various Hollywood flicks and cheap documentaries on Youtube present armies of the late Roman Republic!" Well, so be it. No one is twisting your arm or forcing you to download this, so it's basically available to anyone who's interested (and there are quite a number of players here who've shown a clear interest in the idea).

This is a late Roman legions submod for Europa Barbarorum II v. 2.1b, including lorica segmentata legions from the Kingdoms submod De Bello Mundi (team leader Rhaymo grants full permission for their use). It also includes a few other minor tweaks, such as a total fix for the "throws javelins before charging" issues, the addition of Han Chinese heavy cavalry mercenaries, and the inclusion of the new EB II v. 2.2 campaign script and AI. A few other unit textures and models have also been changed (such as "equites consulares" Roman bodyguard looking Polybian rather than Camillan), but these are very cosmetic and superficial; the vast majority (i.e. 99%) of original content has been left untouched. That being said, this submod is not save-game compatible and, for that matter, will inhibit your ability to even load previous saved games. Use at your own discretion. I may or may not update this for EB II v. 2.2 when it is released; contact me if you are interested in that.

A small caveat: aside from the custom battle map, these units are only available for recruitment from the "municip city" Roman government building, which can only be built in Italy. You will not be able to recruit these units from provincial governments. They will be available only AFTER the Marian reforms have kicked in. The Han Chinese cavalry can only be recruited from certain eastern regions of the campaign map (closest one to Rome being along the Black Sea). Of course, if you absolutely must, as any faction you could always cheat and "create_unit" by pressing the "~" key if you must use/see these units in action right away. The full list of units from DBM are as follows:

Legio VI Victrix (Legionary_Victrix6)
    Legio I Italica (Legionary_Italica_ug1)
    Legio II Augusta (Legionary_Augusta2)
    Legio X Gemina (Legionary_Gemina10)
    Pretorian Cohort (Roman_Pretorians)
    Yuezhi/Han Chinese heavy cavalry mercenaries (Han_Heavy_Cavalry)

There are a lot more numbered legions from DBM, but quite honestly I'm tired of importing so many units. It's a pain in the neck.

Also, it is STRONGLY recommended that you put these new legionary units into "shield wall" formation when idle, marching, or even fighting; otherwise they don't hold their shields correctly (i.e. they hold them sideways instead of upright). To be honest, it still looks kinda funky, but it's better than nothing. I don't have any skills when it comes to editing units via programs like Milkshape 3D. Perhaps if someone else wants to do that and then provide a download link, I'd be more than happy to put it here in the OP.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING:

1) Firstly, back up your EB II mod! Just in case you make a mistake.

2) Download the .rar file either from TWC itself (only available to members with accounts here) or from the ModDB website. NOTE: you do not need both downloads, you only need one or the other. I repeat: you do not need to download both! This is a one-part installation.

3) Open and direct the .rar download towards your "EB II" folder in your "mods" folder (e.g. SEGA/Medieval II Total War/mods/EBII). DO NOT point it directly towards your data folder, as this is the folder you are saving over.

CREDITS:

I simply added a bunch of stuff from DBM by editing various files and adding some, so none of the content was created by me. The models and textures were originally created by Rhaymo from DBM, who has granted full permission to use his material.

EDIT AND UPDATE: For those who have already downloaded the mod, PLEASE DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN. There was a single typo in the "export_units" file where the field towards the bottom called "{Legionary_Italica_ug1}Legio I Italica" was missing a "{" bracket. This caused the Legio I Italica unit to have the generic "localized placement text" as its header instead of "Legio I Italica". The full description of the unit worked just fine, though. You can either redownload the mod to fix it, or, if you know what you're doing, open up the "export_unit" file and edit it yourself using Notepad++. Sorry for the inconvenience! I sincerely apologize.

2ND EDIT AND UPDATE: I have reworked the EDU stats for unit strengths and costs as pointed out by QuintusSertorius below (and via private PM), aligning the new legionaries with EB II's Marian "cohors reformata", but making the "pretorian cohort" in line with the stats for the Marian "cohors evocatae". The Chinese "Han_Heavy_Cavalry" mercenaries have also had their overpowered stats reworked and are now basically the equivalent of Baktria's "baktrioi hippeis" cavalry.

Default Re: Late Roman Legionaries (lorica segmentata) submod for EB II v. 2.1b

I see that 12 people have downloaded the submod from TWC and 15 from ModDB thus far. That's great! Could anyone who downloaded these please confirm here that it is working okay for them? I'd like a little feedback, just in case you've run into any problems. As far as I know, however, the submod works just fine.

Hello great submod! +rep
    I believe that I encountered something, the unit "Legio I Italica" (from my memory on DBM) is named "unlocalised placement text". Also the Han Chinese cav don't have unit cards. (don't know if that was intentional)
    Overall great work on the submod!
    It will certainly stave off the lorica segmentata fans and people who wanted Imperial reforms for Rome!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Crap! I knew something was wrong. Thanks for pointing out those errors.

Hold on, I'm going to replace those downloads as quickly as possible with updated ones. Just hold on tight!

EDIT: I found the problem with Legio I Italica. I fixed the entry in the "export_unit" file in the "text" folder. It was missing a single "{" bracket for the header title of the unit, so the name wasn't appearing, but the short-hand description plus the main description still worked.

However, I don't know what you're talking about in regards to the "Han_Heavy_Cavalry", because the unit card works just fine for me. In the export_descr_unit file it specifically says the file location is in "f_all" folder, placed in the "UI" --> "units" folder. It says the same thing in the export_descr_unit file in the downloaded .rar folder I've provided and I even double-checked to make sure that the "Han_Heavy_Cavalry" unit card picture is in the right place. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Does the unit info picture work? When you click on the unit on the battlefield to read about it in the scroll? Does that picture not work as well? This is weird because it should be working without issue. Period.

I'm going to go ahead and redownload the whole thing with the export_unit fix, but I'm not sure how to fix the Han Heavy Cavalry unit card issue you've mentioned, because from what I can see, there is no problem.

Go into the folder "data/ui/units/f_all" and tell me exactly what is in that folder. There should be a file called "#Han_Heavy_Cavalry". If there is not a file called "#Han_Heavy_Cavalry" there then we have a big problem on our hands. That means the download is being corrupted somehow.

Huh weird. It looks like this:
    Should I download it again to see if it is resolved?

I just updated the download links in the OP, for both the TWC and ModDB options, to include the fix for the "Legio I Italica" unit's generic, incorrect header. Please redownload the mod, or alternatively, edit the "export_unit" file yourself (since the whole problem was caused by a single missing "{" bracket; that's very easy to fix).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCataphract View Post
    Huh weird. It looks like this:
    Should I download it again to see if it is resolved?

OMG. That is totally bizarre! It does NOT look like that for me. I'm not sure what happened there. Try downloading the submod again. If it doesn't work again, I'm speechless, because I simply do not have this problem on my own computer.

The Legio I Italica fix worked for me, but the Han cav unit card just isn't showing up.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anyone else is having this problem.

The Legio I Italica fix worked for me, but the Han cav unit card just isn't showing up.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anyone else is having this problem.
    I'm glad the legionary header works for you now, but I'm flabbergasted about the Chinese Han Heavy Cavalry.

Here's what mine looks like, and what yours should look like on the battle map:

Again, could you please check in the folder I mentioned "data/ui/units/f_all" and make sure their unit card picture file is located there? Could you please open up your export_descr_unit file located in the "data" folder and confirm for me that the following entry for Han_Heavy_Cavalry looks exactly like this:

Code:
    ; COMMENTS              Han_Heavy_Cavalry / Start exp: 1 / Refr rate: 0,247 / Pool cap: 3
    type                    Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    dictionary              Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    category                cavalry
    class                   heavy
    voice_type              Heavy
    banner faction          main_cavalry
    soldier                 Han_Heavy_Cavalry, 40, 0, 4.33
    mount                   horse_heavy_armour_baktria
    mount_effect            elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes              sea_faring, hide_forest, command, mercenary_unit, hardy, power_charge, free_upkeep_unit, can_withdraw
    move_speed_mod          0.9
    formation               1.8, 2.8, 3, 4.5, 4, square
    stat_health             1, 6
    stat_pri                11, 20, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr           no
    stat_sec                8, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, sword, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr           no
    stat_pri_armour         14, 8, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour         0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat               2
    stat_ground             -3, -1, -3, -1
    stat_mental             13, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist        30
    stat_fire_delay         0
    stat_food               60, 300
    stat_cost               1, 4000, 800, 173, 611, 544, 7, 231
    stat_stl                0
    armour_ug_levels        4, 5
    armour_ug_models        Han_Heavy_Cavalry, Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    ownership               f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_seleukid, f_ptolemaioi, f_baktria, f_hayasdan, f_pontos, f_parthia, f_aedui, f_arverni, f_casse, f_lusotannan, f_sweboz, f_getai, f_saba, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_pergamon, f_gandhara, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_arevaci, f_boii, f_nabatu, slave, f_bellouakoi
    era 0                   f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 1                   f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 2                   f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    info_pic_dir            f_all
    card_pic_dir            f_all
    recruit_priority_offset 7
    Notice the last bit where it says "card_pic_dir" and "info_pic_dir" and how the location is the "f_all" folder. If you have the file in the right location there should simply be no problem, unless of course the download is being somehow consistently corrupted and damaging the unit card picture file so that it doesn't work. If that's the case, that's the first time I've ever run into that sort of problem. I didn't even think it was possible. I've done submods for TATW before and I've never seen anything like this. It simply shouldn't be happening. To me it's like trying to make sense of seeing a ghost or hearing an alien transmission from outer space. Lol.

Mine's the same from what I can tell, you could check if you want.
    code
    ; COMMENTS Han_Heavy_Cavalry / Start exp: 1 / Refr rate: 0,247 / Pool cap: 3
    type Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    dictionary Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    soldier Han_Heavy_Cavalry, 40, 0, 4.33
    mount horse_heavy_armour_baktria
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, command, mercenary_unit, hardy, power_charge, free_upkeep_unit, can_withdraw
    move_speed_mod 0.9
    formation 1.8, 2.8, 3, 4.5, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 6
    stat_pri 11, 20, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 8, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, sword, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 14, 8, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground -3, -1, -3, -1
    stat_mental 13, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 4000, 800, 173, 611, 544, 7, 231
    stat_stl 0
    armour_ug_levels 4, 5
    armour_ug_models Han_Heavy_Cavalry, Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    ownership f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_seleukid, f_ptolemaioi, f_baktria, f_hayasdan, f_pontos, f_parthia, f_aedui, f_arverni, f_casse, f_lusotannan, f_sweboz, f_getai, f_saba, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_pergamon, f_gandhara, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_arevaci, f_boii, f_nabatu, slave, f_bellouakoi
    era 0 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 1 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 2 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    info_pic_dir f_all
    card_pic_dir f_all

But it doesn't bother me that much, and it's probably just my EBII botching things up.
    Last edited by TheCataphract; March 02, 2016 at 09:27 PM.

Mine's the same from what I can tell, you could check if you want.
    code
    ; COMMENTS Han_Heavy_Cavalry / Start exp: 1 / Refr rate: 0,247 / Pool cap: 3
    type Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    dictionary Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    soldier Han_Heavy_Cavalry, 40, 0, 4.33
    mount horse_heavy_armour_baktria
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, command, mercenary_unit, hardy, power_charge, free_upkeep_unit, can_withdraw
    move_speed_mod 0.9
    formation 1.8, 2.8, 3, 4.5, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 6
    stat_pri 11, 20, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 8, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, sword, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 14, 8, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground -3, -1, -3, -1
    stat_mental 13, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 4000, 800, 173, 611, 544, 7, 231
    stat_stl 0
    armour_ug_levels 4, 5
    armour_ug_models Han_Heavy_Cavalry, Han_Heavy_Cavalry
    ownership f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_seleukid, f_ptolemaioi, f_baktria, f_hayasdan, f_pontos, f_parthia, f_aedui, f_arverni, f_casse, f_lusotannan, f_sweboz, f_getai, f_saba, f_saka, f_sauromatae, f_numidia, f_pergamon, f_gandhara, f_lugia, f_bosporan, f_arevaci, f_boii, f_nabatu, slave, f_bellouakoi
    era 0 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 1 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    era 2 f_rome, f_carthage, f_makedonia, f_epeiros, f_kh, f_baktria, f_saka
    info_pic_dir f_all
    card_pic_dir f_all
    Well that basically confirms it: the picture files themsleves have somehow been damaged and rendered useless. God knows why! Or, in this case, since they're Chinese, only the supreme heavenly being Shangdi (上帝) knows why.

If you have the time and feel like solving this as much as I do (since I am incredibly curious now), you could try downloading the entire De Bello Mundi mod here at TWC (located in the Medieval II: Kingdoms mods forum like EB II). Then you could try replacing those exact unit card picture files and see what happens. It's a long shot, but probably worth a try. It would also shore up the idea that my files somehow get corrupted when downloaded.

I'll give it a try mate and I'll see what happens.
    Though I'll get back to you tomorrow, downloads on my toaster take years.
    Last edited by TheCataphract; March 02, 2016 at 09:51 PM.

I thought I already gave you EBII-compatible EDU values for all these units? The original values you had were overpowered, and the costs were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I thought I already gave you EBII-compatible EDU values for all these units? The original values you had were overpowered, and the costs were wrong.
    I must have lost them somehow, during the loss of content when the forum got rolled back. As for costs of units, I based each of the Roman segmentata units on that of the "cohors evocatae", since it seemed like the regular "cohors reformata" were too inexpensive. The Han Heavy Cavalry might be way too overpowered, but that's because I didn't bother to fiddle with their stats like I did the Roman units. Perhaps I should have done that for the Han Heavy Cavalry, but I think I simply forgot to do so at the last moment.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Well that basically confirms it: the picture files themsleves have somehow been damaged and rendered useless. God knows why! Or, in this case, since they're Chinese, only the supreme heavenly being Shangdi (上帝) knows why.

If you have the time and feel like solving this as much as I do (since I am incredibly curious now), you could try downloading the entire De Bello Mundi mod here at TWC (located in the Medieval II: Kingdoms mods forum like EB II). Then you could try replacing those exact unit card picture files and see what happens. It's a long shot, but probably worth a try. It would also shore up the idea that my files somehow get corrupted when downloaded.
    Unit_info pictures are different from unit pictures, I am fairly certain that the unit_info picture is missing. In any case nice job.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Unit_info pictures are different from unit pictures, I am fairly certain that the unit_info picture is missing. In any case nice job.
    Thanks. Actually, neither the "unit_info" or "unit" pictures are missing from the folder in my downloadable .rar file. They're simply not working! And I'm not sure why that is the case. It's the oddest thing I've ever come across in regards to modding. I need others to download the mod and provide feedback here, because I need to know if this is a problem that only TheCataphract is having, or that everybody is having. If it's a problem that everyone is having, then it baffles me as to why this is happening.

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Just resave them in Photoshop or som,ething if they're in wrong format

Quote Originally Posted by Rafkos View Post
    Just resave them in Photoshop or som,ething if they're in wrong format
    They might have somehow been converted into the wrong format for TheCataphract, but they're certainly in the right format for my version of the game with the submod. It's the same exact format as the new Roman legionary pics, for that matter.

On another note, if anyone who is experienced in scripting would like to help with this submod, please speak up! I'd love to have the campaign_script edited to create brand new Imperial Reforms after the Marian Reform event. I lack the skills to do that sort of thing, so for the time being these units are available with the Marian reforms. However, ideally they should be available only at the very end of the EB II timeline, when the calendar arrives at 1 AD or thereabouts, since lorica segmentata style laminar plate armor did not exist until the 1st century AD. For some that might be an intolerable wait, but it would be more historically accurate. EB II is a mod for those who have to have a lot of patience anyways.

2ND EDIT AND UPDATE: I have reworked the EDU stats for unit strengths and costs as pointed out by QuintusSertorius below (and via private PM), aligning the new legionaries with EB II's Marian "cohors reformata", but making the "pretorian cohort" in line with the stats of the more elite Marian "cohors evocatae". The Chinese "Han_Heavy_Cavalry" mercenaries have also had their overpowered stats reworked and are now basically the equivalent of Baktria's "baktrioi hippeis" cavalry. You will need to redownload the submod if you want to use the reworked stats, but doing so will make your current campaign (if you've started one) unable to load. Any edits to the export_descr_unit file renders previously saved games unplayable, unfortunately. If you've already started a campaign, go ahead and keep playing if you like, but I would suggest re-downloading the submod sooner rather than later to have stats that are more compatible with EB II, not DBM.

Hi
    Game crashes when loading some battles.Without submode EB II to work correctly.Someone has the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by lprow28 View Post
    Hi
    Game crashes when loading some battles.Without submode EB II to work correctly.Someone has the same problem?
    Are you sure that's the fault of my submod? And not EB II's general problem with bugs? Do certain units not work at all for you? Try playing custom battles using one type of new legionary only, for each battle, and see if the game crashes consistently for one of them. For instance, start a custom battle using only Legio VI Victrix, then another battle using only Legio I Italica, so on and so forth, etc. From what I can tell it works fine on my end.

Sure.. EB2 without bugs..and battles crashes with the original EB2 units, but after submode installation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast