Thread: Historical question concerning allied troops between Marian reforms & Social war

Default Historical question concerning allied troops between Marian reforms & Social war

We all know that Polybian army included 50% percent allied troops and majority of cavalry (I suppose). After Marius started his famous reforms, hastati, principes & triarii (pilles) kept their name only, their equipment was mostly standardized ("clone" romans of Uderzo & Goscinny), cohort became basic tactical unit. This system won wars with Cimbri, Pontus and Numidians. Then the Social War happened and after two years of bitter fighting most of italic peoples received roman citizenship, becoming eligible to serve in roman army as true romans, armed in fashion of Gaius Marius. (Antesignani came later with Caesar, I suppose)

I wonder what happened with allied troops between Marian reforms and Social war, and how would you represent this time in EB2?

Should pedites extraordinarii and equites extraordinarii remain recruitable together with samnite infantry, fighting for decade beside marian legionaries against Teutons and Mithridates?
    Or should they recsocial uieve new "marian-style" nit after marian reforms, armed in similar fashion as romans? This unit would carry most of the fighting during Social War. In this case I propose that equites extraordinarii remain recruitable too. Keep in mind that those units should dissapear after Social War.

What do you think?

Default Re: Historical question concerning allied troops between Marian reforms & Social war

The extraordinarii seem to disappear before the marian reforms.
    In my playthrough, they are not recruitable after you give rights to the Socii. I am not sure this makes much sense though.

Default Re: Historical question concerning allied troops between Marian reforms & Social war

I remember discussion about 'imitation legionaries' here on EB2 forum. Idea was to create new unit model that would represent numidian, seleucid and pontic troops armed in roman fashion/trained by roman/sertorian advisers. It would also represent poorly trained legionaries hastily recruited for social war. Perhaps it should represent allied troops between marian reforms and social war?

I think that unit is still planned. Some sort of Levy Cohort similar to the Cohors Sociorum. Large number of soldiers with many types of equipment.