Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the return of the Gallic comitatus

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: the return of the Gallic comitatus

Thanks for quoting The Siege of Amida! It's still my preferred reading! The siege of Amida is one of the best pages not only of Ammianus' work, but also of the whole Late Roman history! It's like a colossal movie, with gigantic armies, an ancient and exotic location, wonderful landscapes, fantastic characters, innumerable episodes of drama and tragic glory, there's suspance, intrigue, history, psycology, human feelings on both sides, tragic events, action everywhere, it's like a great romance, The Siege of Amida is the PERFECT TALE!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Thanks for quoting The Siege of Amida! It's still my preferred reading! The siege of Amida is one of the best pages not only of Ammianus' work, but also of the whole Late Roman history! It's like a colossal movie, with gigantic armies, an ancient and exotic location, wonderful landscapes, fantastic characters, innumerable episodes of drama and tragic glory, there's suspance, intrigue, history, psycology, human feelings on both sides, tragic events, action everywhere, it's like a great romance, The Siege of Amida is the PERFECT TALE!
    instead of making a second Gladiator, Ridley Scott should film this great story : the siege of amida, with ammianus escaping with his fabulous horse at the end... what a script!!!

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very nice!

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Thank you Gaiten !

After more than 1200 miniatures painted, i try what i consider as a major step in my project (and in this hobby!) : creating my own figurines with 3D printing.

I'va to say, even if it is just a start, i'm so happy with the result !
    You can click here and see the legio secunda britannica i created (37 minis
    ), but here just a sample, with the illustration wich gave me the idea of the poses :

Wow, congratulation for the 3D printer. Very interesting, the number of new opportunities and ideas should be Legion.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Very nice!

Nice!

Last edited by Majorien; March 22, 2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: link forgotten

Cool! The "Feroces" are back!

Little addition to my project : a pictish warband.
    It comes form the unic set of Redbox dealing with late antiquity. If i'm not wrong, this set is its very first released. Pretty strangely, the roman opponents described with great historical accuracy on the box has never been produced... link : more ics here

Looking good!

one of my favorite unit ever (for name and shield pattern) : the equites constantiaci feroces. I wish i could recruit it in Ruina romae !! ;-)
    Hmmm ...

Ladies and gentlemen, my most beautifull unit i ever made, 100% created by me : 3D printed on my models from my historical research, and hand painted with care. The scola scutariorum prima !!

Beautiful work! I think 3D printing is the future of minature-wargaming! Great!

Good stuff!

It would be so cool if some company started making "Dark Age Action Figures", preferably in classic Star Wars size 3.75-inch, or 6-inch. Like:

Atilla the Hun in Battle Gear

Flavius Aetius in General's Outfit

Valentinian III - Emperor's regalia

Galla Placidia - Empress of the West

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post

Galla Placidia - Empress of the West

In my opinion, in this case, the main point and/or the greatest difficulty would be the .. imperial lingerie.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast