Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 138

Thread: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

  1. #61

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    I have some ideas regarding both units and their balance.

    I´m absolutely for Imladris only having a small roster, they were a small number of elves after all.

    I´m also heavily in favour of Imladris having both the Spear & Shield and Sword units from the movie.
    I imagine them as being the crack melee unit of their roles respectively, defense and offense.
    They´d be the last of these units from the last alliance who live in Imladris.
    Balancewise they should be heavily capped.

    Since Imladris doesn´t have the numbers to field a national army, I propose the other units all being able to work as "line units",
    every unit should be able to at least hold against most other line unit. There should be exceptions of course,
    like pikes, which should do serious damage to unarmoured units.

    What are your thoughts?

    Best regards
    Imladris is a guerrilla faction that relies on ambush and hero units, we will not be giving them very many solid line infantry units, but we are still working on a revised roster.

  2. #62
    Celebon21's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    So how will the ideal campaign go for this faction? Establish the Kingdom of Eregion, defend the Valley from her enemies, and intervene in foreign conflicts with our allies? Where does it go after we reestablish hope if not super power status?

  3. #63

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by Celebon21 View Post
    So how will the ideal campaign go for this faction? Establish the Kingdom of Eregion, defend the Valley from her enemies, and intervene in foreign conflicts with our allies? Where does it go after we reestablish hope if not super power status?

    Ideal campain?....that is for you to decide

  4. #64
    Celebon21's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by cshewey View Post
    Ideal campain?....that is for you to decide

    Boo lol.

  5. #65
    Maestro1's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    I believe Imladris wasnt the best choice as a preview. Dont worry guys, Imladris won't be an elvem faction like in tatw. Let ua do our thing and youll be pleased with the tesult. Promise. Bare in mind that imladris is a house with only about 100 elves. Some camps around it, cest tout. This is a chance tl have a faction without all those standard hvy inf.

  6. #66
    Celebon21's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I believe Imladris wasnt the best choice as a preview. Dont worry guys, Imladris won't be an elvem faction like in tatw. Let ua do our thing and youll be pleased with the tesult. Promise. Bare in mind that imladris is a house with only about 100 elves. Some camps around it, cest tout. This is a chance tl have a faction without all those standard hvy inf.

    Look, they just need some type of infantry that can hold the line. A bad ass basically OP sword or spear unit... yet severely limited in numbers and recruitment would be appropriate. (However, as the Kingdom grows it should help recruitment.) I think we can all agree that Imladris should have the best units in the game. Especially with the recruitment and #'s limitations.

    We all know you guys will do great work and if we can help in anyway, let us know.

    The campaign sounds fun, I just wanted to know what the endgame was.

  7. #67

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    In description of Nírnaeth Arnoediad battle, seems that is described a phalanx in action...and an offensive version of phalanx which have broken throw enemy lines...like Alexander's phalanx...so for elves I think phalanx will be a great asset, and even from lore perspective...some royal guards...best infantry in game...only available for generals


    „Turgon had restrained the Army of Gondolin from joining in the first attack, and was able to come to his brother's assistance. Attacking the Orc army from the south, the phalanx of Turgon's guard broke through the Angband lines, and Turgon's army linked up with Fingon's. At this time, Húrin and Turgon had a friendly meeting with each other.”

  8. #68
    MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tenerife, Canary Islands
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    The pike unit should be their greatest defensive unit, im not sure why people are worried... pikes are broken OP in total war
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

    ++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

  9. #69

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by son of romans View Post
    In description of Nírnaeth Arnoediad battle, seems that is described a phalanx in action...and an offensive version of phalanx which have broken throw enemy lines...like Alexander's phalanx...so for elves I think phalanx will be a great asset, and even from lore perspective...some royal guards...best infantry in game...only available for generals


    „Turgon had restrained the Army of Gondolin from joining in the first attack, and was able to come to his brother's assistance. Attacking the Orc army from the south, the phalanx of Turgon's guard broke through the Angband lines, and Turgon's army linked up with Fingon's. At this time, Húrin and Turgon had a friendly meeting with each other.”

    Excellent point, will consider it.

  10. #70

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    I agree with the team.. that the strong sword infantry should be in Lindon not in Imladris. I don't want Imladris with same unit roster and battle tactic as Lindon. It should stay as it's in the preview. Keep it up guys!

  11. #71
    MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tenerife, Canary Islands
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by Margok View Post
    I agree with the team.. that the strong sword infantry should be in Lindon not in Imladris. I don't want Imladris with same unit roster and battle tactic as Lindon. It should stay as it's in the preview. Keep it up guys!

    Agree completely
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

    ++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

  12. #72

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by MOS-Lukas-Dwarf View Post
    The pike unit should be their greatest defensive unit, im not sure why people are worried... pikes are broken OP in total war


    I never understand what is wrong with overpowered units....always somebody has best weapons...the questions is how much they cost, and how many of this units you can recruit? In case of this pikemen of eldar...give them to elven generals with alternative in eldar horse arcers, and you will have maybe 16 of this units...and you will risk to use them only with risk to lose a general...a good one...so why not? In DeI I play with Epirus...and my generals a those epirote pikemen...some times they can kill 1000 enemies....or you can loose your general right in first minutes of his battalion fight....a fair trade, in Rise of Mordor you have to choose to see your generals with bow cavalry killing their enemies from distance and not risking to die in close combat...or hero generals who will fight with their phalanx who will often die...like Gill-Galad.
    Last edited by son of romans; March 01, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

  13. #73

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    The mod is based on books with movie design. I would post you some pictures.

    1) From The Hobbit, we can see Elrond with a sword, before the fight.



    2) Here we can see an Imladris knight, with a spear, sure, but we can observe a sword on his belt.



    3) We can see Elrond in the Dagorlad battle with elven spearmen. We have not total security, but we can suppose that he was commanding Imladris soldiers.



    4) From The Hobbit, we can see a statue, in the Imladris entrance, representing a spearman, I suppose that this unit belongs to Imladris.



    5) We can see 2 Imladris guards with spears.



    I see swords and spears, not pikes. Would be a good idea have elvens pikemen, but there is not trace of this unit in books or movies. Phalanx not necessarily means pikemen, but could be used also for spearmen (hoplite phalanx). If you want add this unit it's ok, but don't delete units that we have in books and we can see in the movies. You could delete also Glorfindel's Bodyguards, because, to see it, it seems more appropriate for Lindon. The Imladris and Lindon rosters would be very similars. Differences would be very few. For example you can give heavy missile cavalry only to Imladris, Lindon would have Mithlond's sentinels and a stronger melee cavalry. You can also play with all light/medium units.
    Kind regards

  14. #74
    Alkar's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Valinórë
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Their magic should help to balance them. Pikes aren't really in the lore, and don't seem like they fit into Elvish philosophy. They are mentioned once as possessing bills, which is a relatively long spear with a hook on the end to pull enemy riders off of their horses. Whatever is needed for balance though is most appropriate.

    Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

  15. #75
    Maetharin's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Quote Originally Posted by son of romans View Post
    In description of Nírnaeth Arnoediad battle, seems that is described a phalanx in action...and an offensive version of phalanx which have broken throw enemy lines...like Alexander's phalanx...so for elves I think phalanx will be a great asset, and even from lore perspective...some royal guards...best infantry in game...only available for generals


    „Turgon had restrained the Army of Gondolin from joining in the first attack, and was able to come to his brother's assistance. Attacking the Orc army from the south, the phalanx of Turgon's guard broke through the Angband lines, and Turgon's army linked up with Fingon's. At this time, Húrin and Turgon had a friendly meeting with each other.”
    Many authors of fiction use the word phalanx synonymous to shieldwall.
    And from what I remember, nowhere is there any mention of any pike unit in the Silmarillion,
    so I´d say it should be taken as "close order" formation rather than a pike unit.

    3) We can see Elrond in the Dagorlad battle with elven spearmen. We have not total security, but we can suppose that he was commanding Imladris soldiers.
    This actually is a good point, Elrond was at that time already Lord of Imladris, and also had his own, if somewhat small army, as we read about in the battle of Eregion.
    I wouldn´t say it´s unlikely that he commanded these troops during the battle of Dagorlad.


    Imladris is a guerrilla faction that relies on ambush and hero units, we will not be giving them very many solid line infantry units, but we are still working on a revised roster.
    Concerning this, are CA maps even big enough to actually use guerilla tactics?
    Guerillas need either room to maneuvre, like deserts or steppes, or terrain the enemy isn´t able to follow you in.
    You may want to read Clausewitz, he may be outdated at most times, but his core statements shouldn´t be brushed aside.

    Well, whatever direction you choose to take, submods are there to satisfy any unsatisfied needs^^

    Best regards
    Last edited by Maetharin; March 02, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

    Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

    "I concur!"

    ​Me

  16. #76

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    [QUOTE=cshewey;14857643]




    The Elves of Imladris (Preview)







    Here is a long awaited preview of our work on the Elves of Imladris. Let me begin with some notes:




    Campaign: (Beta or 1.0 releases)
    On the campaign Imladris will be one of the few campaigns set to "legendary difficulty", it may in fact be the hardest faction in the game. This is due to several key factors:

    1; Imladris will have a unique game play mechanic (Restoration of Hope) which will prohibit imladris from ANY recruitment (besides mercenaries) until "Hope is Restored" and the Elves begin to return to Middle Earth; this is accomplished by completing the quest line "Restoring Hope" culminating in the recapture of the Lost Kingdom of Eregion. Then after it's capture Imladris will be able to recruit units as normal, and they will come back to middle earth both with hope in their hearts and enduring vengeance in their swords.

    2; Imladris' roster (campaign and multiplayer) will be completely lacking sturdy line infantry, this is due to their diminishing state on Middle Earth. They will however rely on super powerful unique hero units supported by experienced and skilled guerrilla fighters.

    3; The Elves of Imladris begin the campaign with only 1 region, and are bordered by several powerful enemies. Repelling the many goblin raids will be more than a task for the small but faithful host.

    Besides it's many road blocks however we hope to make Imladris one of the most immersive and lore saturated factions!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Multiplayer:
    As mentioned in 2; above, Imladris' roster will nearly completely lack sturdy line infantry, which will make it a very difficult faction on the open field (as long as it's swift and devastating cavalry are contained), however its mighty elites and superior archers will make them a force to be reckoned with in both sieges and ambushes. Be prepared for epic last stands and heroic ambushes as the Noldor let forth their arrows in a final ploy for glory and vengeance!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Obvious Question:
    Q "What about the soldiers on the Prologue of FOTR? Why are they not in the imladris roster?

    A As a team we decided to give Imladris the bright Silver armor portrayed in the Hobbit films (IE when the Dwarves enter Imladris) from this you see the majority of the heavy units for Imladris.

    But fear not, the golden armor of the prologue is still in the game, it has been given to the Elves of the Grey Havens for their main concept (As the army in the prologue was lead by Gil Galad, King of Mithlond "Grey havens" which was the principle realm of the Noldor).


    So for Imladris you can expect to see the host of the Firstborn clad in shinning silver, garbed beneath in a flowing red, deep blue or living green.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Faction Description:


    Arda, how my heart burns as i see it wither, for my life itself is entwined with the fabric of its foundations, laid before in the yore of ages. And since before the sun was hewn from the heavenly mantle, we have fought and died for it. And through countless years we have seen all our valor and forlorn deeds be wrested into the endless dusk we now abide. Our works and labors twisted to malice - utterly corrupted. Why must what was fair be made dark? The hills and forests once gleaming in the gentle sun, scorched now in dreaded wastes under its golden glare!

    They say immortality is our gift, but truly it is our curse. Forced to watch through passing eons the unwavering decay of greed. Though we have lived through the ages, what now is our labor? Gondolin, City of Twelve Houses now lies in rubble beneath the Sundering Sea. And When Gondolin fell, its survivors fled to Eregion, but where now is Eregion? Heaped and strewn in wild wastes on the western foothills of the Misty Mountains. Proud Kingdom of the Noldor, now little more then a bereft encampment of highwaymen and bandits! And we few who escaped are here, forced to hide in this valley, singing songs of fair days little remembered, waiting till the dawning of final night. Do you see now, the vanity of our labors? Do you now understand the sorrowful mourning of our heats? Night will come, and when it does, there will be no dawn, no dew upon the emerald fields, nor silver mists on the crystal streams, only a dead silence, the echo-less cry of endless night.

    Though...though how i have forgotten! How they still shine life into our ancient hearts! Yes friend, when night comes the stars unveil, highest and fairest jewels of Ea, enthroned, reflected, em-brazened on the mystifying tapestry of the heavens! Oh what a treasure Eru has given us! For though night may dawn, the stars are an early herald, a distant and beckoning signal that light will once again crest the horizon. Now it feels as though the light of the stars is kindled a fresh in my heart, for verily we are the Eldar, the people of the Stars, and stars hold no fear of night. Their pearl banners ever illuiminating though all shadows be about them. Now, here in the forgotten north must we Eldar be as the stars, a guide for the weary traveler, and beacon of hope for the lost. Yes, there is work a foot, deeds to be done, legends yet untold still lie ahead! Now is my blood ablaze, with the eternal fire, Elbereth, Lady of the Stars be my guide in these dark days! For night looms, and the lords call, "to arms, to arms peope of the Noldor!" Great deeds await you! For not un-tried will we greet Fingolfin and Faenor in the halls of Mandos! For there we shall sing and remember above all the deeds of the Noldor these last acts of courage, forlorn bulwarks beset against the oncoming darkness! Rise, rise to the hour ye sons of Gil-Galad, the time of your fulfillment draws! Not alone will we leave men, surrounded and besieged on all fronts! For a thousand times would i die to the steel of Morgul ere i see Imladris in flames, or the Pearl Towers cast down! Nay, if thus be the future, it is not one i can abide! For with hewn helm, and tattered shield, cloven horn and broken sword would i still hold the barricades of Elbereth against our foes!

    No power hath Sauron that can extinguish the fire of the Eleni that burns within our immortal heart. If night is to be our end, then we shall be as the stars, and blaze in the midst! As they have in past wars, his legions will crumble to the fury of the Eldar, his beasts and monsters cower for their caves and dungeons when beset of our battle cries! Now alas brave people, mighty first-born, destiny calls, Valinor beckons but for burning in my heart my ears grow deaf, and silver shores must await their honored guests! For a higher calling now have they,in past they awaited refugees and weary travelers, born swiftly from ruin and darkness, but now shall their shores await the horns of heroes, banners proudly displayed in victory in the end of strife. For this calling now, the welcome of faithful servants, I bid you true Elves, sons of the mighty, waylay darkness, pay it no heed, but follow me now once more to battle! For at last the end of our role is upon us, our part nearly played, yet we shall make a grand finally, a tale, sung for a thousand years on the feast halls of the Valor!





    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Roster: (Campaign and Multiplayer)








    Már-liyúmë i anda ehtë -Elven Longspears-
    (Medium Spear Infantry)


    These swift and agile warriors can be a terror to both cavalry and footmen alike. For the spear is a sacred and ancient weapon of the Noldor, it is carried by elves of great skill. For this precious weapon was wielded also by their High King, Gil Galad. And so, in these brave warriors, though it be long broken, yet lives on the Spirit of Aeglos, long may it dismay the spawn of Morgoth!



    Yondor i Tulkas (Sons of Tulkas)
    (Medium Melee Infantry)




    Forsaking the heavy armor of the Noldor, those faithful to Tulkas trust in their speed and strength for protection. These warriors are capable of terrifying ambushes. They are elves armed with massive swords well capable of cutting through thick armor. Yet their swards are far dwarfed by their fearless spirits. For this, the Faithful provide the Noldorian general with swift and punishing fighters, undying reflections of the great Valar they praise!



    Már-liyúmë i Noldor -Elven Light Archers-
    (Light Missile Infantry)




    Arrows shot by elves seldom miss their target for the eyes of elves see many things that the eyes of men cannot, including the links within chain mail. Even levied elves can bring enormous accuracy to the field, with their keen longbows and far seeing eyes. And the fact that these elves lack armor only increases their ability to aim.



    Telcontari i Quendi (Imladris Rangers)
    (Medium Missile Infantry)




    Ever Watching patrols of Eriador, the rangers of the elves are always ready to bring a swift and unseen death to unwelcome guests in their lands. They use only what armor they need for short melee combat, for they trust mainly in their skills with the bow to rout the enemy. For truly what foe will stand against barrages of unseen arrows flying from trees, shot by the best marksmen left on Middle Earth?



    Lore Masters of Rivendell
    (Light Sepcial Infantry)




    Elves of deep study, and learning, they know all the songs and tales from the many ages of Middle Earth. These passionate warriors bring the full power of these ancient verses against their enemies. They forsake armor, for the armor of their songs is strong enough for them. For hymns of power sung from ancient tongues bring a strength seldom seen in the latter days, and terror unknown to their enemies.



    Roqueni i Noldor -Noldorian Horsemen-
    (Heavy Melee Cavalry)





    The elves share a special bond with horses, for theirs are the swiftest and the most loyal. Armed in the light but ornate armor of the Noldor and bearing a mighty lace, rider and steed fight together as they trample under foot the enemies of the Noldor.



    Telcontari i Noldor -Noldorian Rangers-
    (Heavy Missile Infantry)



    The heavy rangers of Imladris are a force of untold power. While most rangers forsake heavy protection, these elves bear armor made for swift movement. Its flowing leather creases enable the archer to move with ease as he bends his bow to the avenging of kin! Whilst these patrol no shadows go unseen and no foe escapes.



    Heruin va Luva (Lords of the Bow) -Imladris Noble Bowmen
    (Heavy Missile Infantry)





    The archers of the Noldor are nigh indomitable. Their excellent armor accompanied by their amazing skill with the bow enables these ancient warriors to overcome nearly any foe at range. These expert archers however are also no strangers to the sword, and when out of ammo they will more then happily take to the front lines with their other Noldorian companions.



    Herur i Ranyalohtari (Imladris Noble Rangers) Elladan and Ellrohir Bodyguards
    (Heavy Missile Cavalry)




    Led by the sons of Elrond, the finest of Imladris' rangers ride upon swift steeds, their accuracy and speed make them excellent skirmishers, while their armor and skill makes them excellent fighting cavalry. These two skills combined with the power of the elves makes these warriors an excellent, well rounded company of soldiers.



    Aranduri (King's servants) -Elrond's Bodyguards
    (Very Heavy Pike Infantry)




    Amongst the finest of defensive warriors, the Pike-Guards of Imladris can hold a line against nearly any opponent. Their strong armor and long spears combined with their individual battle experience makes these warriors a great force to be reckoned with. Their prowess being so mighty has attained them a spot among the personal guard of King Elrond, Lord of the Last Homely House. The strength in their hearts will long ward any assault upon it's fair lands!



    Calim et Avathar (Light out of the darkness) -Glorfindel's Bodyguards
    (Super Heavy Melee Cavalry)





    Once strong sons of mighty Elven lords, who fell in defense of the Hidden City, now sent back, ten fold the terrible and mighty in wrath and power, a light blazing in the midst of shadows. They bear the heraldy of the House of the Golden flower upon their ancient armor, and their shields and lances reflect the shinning sun as they ride forth in the end of day! True knights of the first-born, chosen by Glorfindel for their skill and valor. With the light of Elbereth within their hearts these men would follow their captain even to the tower Barad Dur itself!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Race and Faction Traits (Campaign)


    (Race traits - Elves)
    (Imladris, Grey Havens, Woodland Realm, Lothlorien)


    Firstborn: Being the eldest and most powerful beings in Arda, the elves do not suffer attrition or penalties from Squalor.
    (Immune to attrition, immune to squalor, and civil revolts. Faster movement speed on campaign and battle maps)

    Light of Valinor: As the shadow grows many of the elves return to Aman to live their endless lives with the Valar in the Undying Lands. This both draws many away who would otherwise fight under your banner, but also fills those who remain with an even greater hatred of the darkness.

    (-2% to population growth, increased building costs and time, battle morale bonus against all orc factions)

    (Faction Traits (Imladris)

    Fire of the Eldari:

    • Unbreakable moral against Orc factions (However cannot make peace with these factions ever)

    • Inablilty to recruit until hope is restored


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Missions and Quests:

    "Resting Hope"

    My Lord, I bring grave tidings! Another caravan has left for havens, taking many of our finest warriors with it, so few of us remain now to fight against the shadow. Our people leave because they have lost hope, hope that the light of Elbereth would once again shine on their lands. Oh how accursed it is to dwell in this darkness, but perhaps they need not mourn in vain. For perhaps with hope, lamentation may be turned to fury, and far off journey may yet turn homeward bound! Glorfindel has ridden to rally those still on the road to return back to Rivendel to fight, his cause would be much aided with sweet news.

    While the brave captains Elledan and Elrohir keep the orcs of the mountains outside of our valley, let us lead what remains of our forces on a forlorn, yet unexpected mission. Lead our armies to the kingdom of Eregion and slaughter the orcs encamped there. While a great hoard of goblins no doubt awaits your army within the broken walls, perhaps with swift feet and cunning thought we may catch them off guard and recapture our beloved city! If it could be done, Glorfindel would doubtless return with a great host to aid in our endeavors. But be sure to scout ahead, we must not give them a chance to bolster their defense, and we must not be waylaid on the road. Stealth is of the essence, but their is much to gain, and much at risk.

    Rewards
    Ability to recruit tier 1 elven units.

    Character added to Faction: "Glorfindel Lord of the Golden Flower" with the Calim et Avathar bodyguard and an army of elves.

    Additional Effects: $$$ (something like $5000), Population growth % increase. Tech advancement + 3% or so



    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    WIP Armor:



    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Be assured, more previews are soon to come!


    since they wont be able to recruit elves till hope is restored can you add a feature were they can get militia units of men to fill out the armies or something along those lines pls

  17. #77

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    [QUOTE=Northern-Ranger;14873738]
    Quote Originally Posted by cshewey View Post




    The Elves of Imladris (Preview)







    Here is a long awaited preview of our work on the Elves of Imladris. Let me begin with some notes:




    Campaign: (Beta or 1.0 releases)
    On the campaign Imladris will be one of the few campaigns set to "legendary difficulty", it may in fact be the hardest faction in the game. This is due to several key factors:

    1; Imladris will have a unique game play mechanic (Restoration of Hope) which will prohibit imladris from ANY recruitment (besides mercenaries) until "Hope is Restored" and the Elves begin to return to Middle Earth; this is accomplished by completing the quest line "Restoring Hope" culminating in the recapture of the Lost Kingdom of Eregion. Then after it's capture Imladris will be able to recruit units as normal, and they will come back to middle earth both with hope in their hearts and enduring vengeance in their swords.

    2; Imladris' roster (campaign and multiplayer) will be completely lacking sturdy line infantry, this is due to their diminishing state on Middle Earth. They will however rely on super powerful unique hero units supported by experienced and skilled guerrilla fighters.

    3; The Elves of Imladris begin the campaign with only 1 region, and are bordered by several powerful enemies. Repelling the many goblin raids will be more than a task for the small but faithful host.

    Besides it's many road blocks however we hope to make Imladris one of the most immersive and lore saturated factions!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Multiplayer:
    As mentioned in 2; above, Imladris' roster will nearly completely lack sturdy line infantry, which will make it a very difficult faction on the open field (as long as it's swift and devastating cavalry are contained), however its mighty elites and superior archers will make them a force to be reckoned with in both sieges and ambushes. Be prepared for epic last stands and heroic ambushes as the Noldor let forth their arrows in a final ploy for glory and vengeance!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Obvious Question:
    Q "What about the soldiers on the Prologue of FOTR? Why are they not in the imladris roster?

    A As a team we decided to give Imladris the bright Silver armor portrayed in the Hobbit films (IE when the Dwarves enter Imladris) from this you see the majority of the heavy units for Imladris.

    But fear not, the golden armor of the prologue is still in the game, it has been given to the Elves of the Grey Havens for their main concept (As the army in the prologue was lead by Gil Galad, King of Mithlond "Grey havens" which was the principle realm of the Noldor).


    So for Imladris you can expect to see the host of the Firstborn clad in shinning silver, garbed beneath in a flowing red, deep blue or living green.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Faction Description:


    Arda, how my heart burns as i see it wither, for my life itself is entwined with the fabric of its foundations, laid before in the yore of ages. And since before the sun was hewn from the heavenly mantle, we have fought and died for it. And through countless years we have seen all our valor and forlorn deeds be wrested into the endless dusk we now abide. Our works and labors twisted to malice - utterly corrupted. Why must what was fair be made dark? The hills and forests once gleaming in the gentle sun, scorched now in dreaded wastes under its golden glare!

    They say immortality is our gift, but truly it is our curse. Forced to watch through passing eons the unwavering decay of greed. Though we have lived through the ages, what now is our labor? Gondolin, City of Twelve Houses now lies in rubble beneath the Sundering Sea. And When Gondolin fell, its survivors fled to Eregion, but where now is Eregion? Heaped and strewn in wild wastes on the western foothills of the Misty Mountains. Proud Kingdom of the Noldor, now little more then a bereft encampment of highwaymen and bandits! And we few who escaped are here, forced to hide in this valley, singing songs of fair days little remembered, waiting till the dawning of final night. Do you see now, the vanity of our labors? Do you now understand the sorrowful mourning of our heats? Night will come, and when it does, there will be no dawn, no dew upon the emerald fields, nor silver mists on the crystal streams, only a dead silence, the echo-less cry of endless night.

    Though...though how i have forgotten! How they still shine life into our ancient hearts! Yes friend, when night comes the stars unveil, highest and fairest jewels of Ea, enthroned, reflected, em-brazened on the mystifying tapestry of the heavens! Oh what a treasure Eru has given us! For though night may dawn, the stars are an early herald, a distant and beckoning signal that light will once again crest the horizon. Now it feels as though the light of the stars is kindled a fresh in my heart, for verily we are the Eldar, the people of the Stars, and stars hold no fear of night. Their pearl banners ever illuiminating though all shadows be about them. Now, here in the forgotten north must we Eldar be as the stars, a guide for the weary traveler, and beacon of hope for the lost. Yes, there is work a foot, deeds to be done, legends yet untold still lie ahead! Now is my blood ablaze, with the eternal fire, Elbereth, Lady of the Stars be my guide in these dark days! For night looms, and the lords call, "to arms, to arms peope of the Noldor!" Great deeds await you! For not un-tried will we greet Fingolfin and Faenor in the halls of Mandos! For there we shall sing and remember above all the deeds of the Noldor these last acts of courage, forlorn bulwarks beset against the oncoming darkness! Rise, rise to the hour ye sons of Gil-Galad, the time of your fulfillment draws! Not alone will we leave men, surrounded and besieged on all fronts! For a thousand times would i die to the steel of Morgul ere i see Imladris in flames, or the Pearl Towers cast down! Nay, if thus be the future, it is not one i can abide! For with hewn helm, and tattered shield, cloven horn and broken sword would i still hold the barricades of Elbereth against our foes!

    No power hath Sauron that can extinguish the fire of the Eleni that burns within our immortal heart. If night is to be our end, then we shall be as the stars, and blaze in the midst! As they have in past wars, his legions will crumble to the fury of the Eldar, his beasts and monsters cower for their caves and dungeons when beset of our battle cries! Now alas brave people, mighty first-born, destiny calls, Valinor beckons but for burning in my heart my ears grow deaf, and silver shores must await their honored guests! For a higher calling now have they,in past they awaited refugees and weary travelers, born swiftly from ruin and darkness, but now shall their shores await the horns of heroes, banners proudly displayed in victory in the end of strife. For this calling now, the welcome of faithful servants, I bid you true Elves, sons of the mighty, waylay darkness, pay it no heed, but follow me now once more to battle! For at last the end of our role is upon us, our part nearly played, yet we shall make a grand finally, a tale, sung for a thousand years on the feast halls of the Valor!





    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Roster: (Campaign and Multiplayer)








    Már-liyúmë i anda ehtë -Elven Longspears-
    (Medium Spear Infantry)


    These swift and agile warriors can be a terror to both cavalry and footmen alike. For the spear is a sacred and ancient weapon of the Noldor, it is carried by elves of great skill. For this precious weapon was wielded also by their High King, Gil Galad. And so, in these brave warriors, though it be long broken, yet lives on the Spirit of Aeglos, long may it dismay the spawn of Morgoth!



    Yondor i Tulkas (Sons of Tulkas)
    (Medium Melee Infantry)




    Forsaking the heavy armor of the Noldor, those faithful to Tulkas trust in their speed and strength for protection. These warriors are capable of terrifying ambushes. They are elves armed with massive swords well capable of cutting through thick armor. Yet their swards are far dwarfed by their fearless spirits. For this, the Faithful provide the Noldorian general with swift and punishing fighters, undying reflections of the great Valar they praise!



    Már-liyúmë i Noldor -Elven Light Archers-
    (Light Missile Infantry)




    Arrows shot by elves seldom miss their target for the eyes of elves see many things that the eyes of men cannot, including the links within chain mail. Even levied elves can bring enormous accuracy to the field, with their keen longbows and far seeing eyes. And the fact that these elves lack armor only increases their ability to aim.



    Telcontari i Quendi (Imladris Rangers)
    (Medium Missile Infantry)




    Ever Watching patrols of Eriador, the rangers of the elves are always ready to bring a swift and unseen death to unwelcome guests in their lands. They use only what armor they need for short melee combat, for they trust mainly in their skills with the bow to rout the enemy. For truly what foe will stand against barrages of unseen arrows flying from trees, shot by the best marksmen left on Middle Earth?



    Lore Masters of Rivendell
    (Light Sepcial Infantry)




    Elves of deep study, and learning, they know all the songs and tales from the many ages of Middle Earth. These passionate warriors bring the full power of these ancient verses against their enemies. They forsake armor, for the armor of their songs is strong enough for them. For hymns of power sung from ancient tongues bring a strength seldom seen in the latter days, and terror unknown to their enemies.



    Roqueni i Noldor -Noldorian Horsemen-
    (Heavy Melee Cavalry)





    The elves share a special bond with horses, for theirs are the swiftest and the most loyal. Armed in the light but ornate armor of the Noldor and bearing a mighty lace, rider and steed fight together as they trample under foot the enemies of the Noldor.



    Telcontari i Noldor -Noldorian Rangers-
    (Heavy Missile Infantry)



    The heavy rangers of Imladris are a force of untold power. While most rangers forsake heavy protection, these elves bear armor made for swift movement. Its flowing leather creases enable the archer to move with ease as he bends his bow to the avenging of kin! Whilst these patrol no shadows go unseen and no foe escapes.



    Heruin va Luva (Lords of the Bow) -Imladris Noble Bowmen
    (Heavy Missile Infantry)





    The archers of the Noldor are nigh indomitable. Their excellent armor accompanied by their amazing skill with the bow enables these ancient warriors to overcome nearly any foe at range. These expert archers however are also no strangers to the sword, and when out of ammo they will more then happily take to the front lines with their other Noldorian companions.



    Herur i Ranyalohtari (Imladris Noble Rangers) Elladan and Ellrohir Bodyguards
    (Heavy Missile Cavalry)




    Led by the sons of Elrond, the finest of Imladris' rangers ride upon swift steeds, their accuracy and speed make them excellent skirmishers, while their armor and skill makes them excellent fighting cavalry. These two skills combined with the power of the elves makes these warriors an excellent, well rounded company of soldiers.



    Aranduri (King's servants) -Elrond's Bodyguards
    (Very Heavy Pike Infantry)




    Amongst the finest of defensive warriors, the Pike-Guards of Imladris can hold a line against nearly any opponent. Their strong armor and long spears combined with their individual battle experience makes these warriors a great force to be reckoned with. Their prowess being so mighty has attained them a spot among the personal guard of King Elrond, Lord of the Last Homely House. The strength in their hearts will long ward any assault upon it's fair lands!



    Calim et Avathar (Light out of the darkness) -Glorfindel's Bodyguards
    (Super Heavy Melee Cavalry)





    Once strong sons of mighty Elven lords, who fell in defense of the Hidden City, now sent back, ten fold the terrible and mighty in wrath and power, a light blazing in the midst of shadows. They bear the heraldy of the House of the Golden flower upon their ancient armor, and their shields and lances reflect the shinning sun as they ride forth in the end of day! True knights of the first-born, chosen by Glorfindel for their skill and valor. With the light of Elbereth within their hearts these men would follow their captain even to the tower Barad Dur itself!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Race and Faction Traits (Campaign)


    (Race traits - Elves)
    (Imladris, Grey Havens, Woodland Realm, Lothlorien)


    Firstborn: Being the eldest and most powerful beings in Arda, the elves do not suffer attrition or penalties from Squalor.
    (Immune to attrition, immune to squalor, and civil revolts. Faster movement speed on campaign and battle maps)

    Light of Valinor: As the shadow grows many of the elves return to Aman to live their endless lives with the Valar in the Undying Lands. This both draws many away who would otherwise fight under your banner, but also fills those who remain with an even greater hatred of the darkness.

    (-2% to population growth, increased building costs and time, battle morale bonus against all orc factions)

    (Faction Traits (Imladris)

    Fire of the Eldari:

    • Unbreakable moral against Orc factions (However cannot make peace with these factions ever)

    • Inablilty to recruit until hope is restored


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Missions and Quests:

    "Resting Hope"

    My Lord, I bring grave tidings! Another caravan has left for havens, taking many of our finest warriors with it, so few of us remain now to fight against the shadow. Our people leave because they have lost hope, hope that the light of Elbereth would once again shine on their lands. Oh how accursed it is to dwell in this darkness, but perhaps they need not mourn in vain. For perhaps with hope, lamentation may be turned to fury, and far off journey may yet turn homeward bound! Glorfindel has ridden to rally those still on the road to return back to Rivendel to fight, his cause would be much aided with sweet news.

    While the brave captains Elledan and Elrohir keep the orcs of the mountains outside of our valley, let us lead what remains of our forces on a forlorn, yet unexpected mission. Lead our armies to the kingdom of Eregion and slaughter the orcs encamped there. While a great hoard of goblins no doubt awaits your army within the broken walls, perhaps with swift feet and cunning thought we may catch them off guard and recapture our beloved city! If it could be done, Glorfindel would doubtless return with a great host to aid in our endeavors. But be sure to scout ahead, we must not give them a chance to bolster their defense, and we must not be waylaid on the road. Stealth is of the essence, but their is much to gain, and much at risk.

    Rewards
    Ability to recruit tier 1 elven units.

    Character added to Faction: "Glorfindel Lord of the Golden Flower" with the Calim et Avathar bodyguard and an army of elves.

    Additional Effects: $$$ (something like $5000), Population growth % increase. Tech advancement + 3% or so



    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    WIP Armor:



    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Be assured, more previews are soon to come!


    since they wont be able to recruit elves till hope is restored can you add a feature were they can get militia units of men to fill out the armies or something along those lines pls

    Imladris will have a decent starting army and it wont take all that long to complete the quest so as long as you dont let the goblins own you in teh early game you should be fine and able to recruit fairly soon. But to the question, no, only very sparce mercenary recruitment will be allowed at this point, but thanks for the input.

  18. #78
    Maetharin's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    Could those who wish to, and those who already did, quote the actual [Preview] put it into spoiler tags instead?
    Less redundancy and a better overview would ease keeping track of the whole thread.

    Oh and don´t forget all the space we´d save

    Best regards
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

    Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

    "I concur!"

    ​Me

  19. #79
    Alkar's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Valinórë
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    It's a bit cumbersome to quote very long walls of text/images, the "Hide" tags are probably best. (Confession: I've never used them before either. )

    Oh wait, LOL, someone just said this one post up. Please delete this then.

    Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

  20. #80

    Default Re: [UPD 20 FEB 16] Preview: Elves of Imladris

    I just thought with their link to the Dunedain they might of been able to get some but it dont matter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •