Thread: Emblems of Carolingian Empire (Francia Occidentalis)

Default Emblems of Carolingian Empire (Francia Occidentalis)

Hello everyone. I'm creating the faction of the Carolingian Empire, but I can not find enough information to the emblems of the coat of arms and the flags. If anyone has some historical information or more appropriate suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Years: 850 AD - 950 AD, approximately
    Area: West France

PS: Sorry if it isn't the right place to this post.
    Last edited by Miguel_80; February 19, 2016 at 01:26 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Emblems of Carolingian Empire (Francia Occidentalis)

I know that heraldry wasn't very developed back then. Countries were less likely to have standards with coats of arms and the like, than kings and nobles were.

I was looking into a Dark Ages at one point and I believe Charlemagne had his own coat of arms that I thought of using. Perhaps you could look for it, or for the king(s) that followed him.

Exactly. Are very confusing all, and especially after the division of Treaty of Verdun (843 AD). Yet I have found an image, but I doesn't clarify much if it is West France

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

If I were you, I would just go with whichever king ruled over West Francia at the start time of your mod. As long as it looks good to you, not much else matters, as like I said, heraldry did not exist in this time period like it did later on.

I just looked at my old files and Charlemagne's coat of arms is very similar to those ones you posted, so I imagine most designs from that period in Francia which followed his death would be very similar.