Thread: If Garmatia is the last Faction... do we Mod the rest now???

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default If Garmatia is the last Faction... do we Mod the rest now???

Garmatia....... why???? Of all the things they give us those nobodys that nobody wanted....

Anyway. Do we know for certain that this will be the last faction expantion that they will give us?

Because if so, I am sure that I am not the only one feeling somewhat disapointed and thinking that the factions within the game feel unfinished and to some extent almoust weirdish copies of each other. I have made some mods before, and if this truely is the last pack that is given to us then we should probably talk about how we can expand on the situation with our modding skills. What we would argue for and what we could improve and where we could possibly even work together as a team.

I have so far mainly focused on making small unit expantions for playable facions that appeard bland and boring, by adding units to the Suebi and White Huns (I have the feeling I will have to do this for the Garmatians aswell). In startpos modding and faction modding my efforts have so far focused on making the migrant gothic factions survive longer. So my expirience in modding is somewhat limited to that, especialy since I only know how to edit startpos manualy.

What I intend to do now?

Well if this truely is the last faction pack, I will take the Iazyges, Roxolani and Budinians. I will give them a Sarmatian unit overhowl, with the Budinians receiving some Slavic units and the Iazyges some Germanic units into their mix. I will also give these 3 factions the ability to settle, change their apperance into being Sarmatian. Change their buildings into being Sarmatian. Change their tech trees into the one that the Alani have. And if someone here can help me out with that - I will as a new Sarmatian Culture and "Sarmatian Paganism" religion for them, to make the Alani, Iazyges, Roxolani and Budinians stand out more as a unique cultural set and not as a mere bland copy of the Huns and Goths. I dont know how to make factions playable, and I dont know how to add a new faction which could then change into being the new seperatist faction, neither do I know how to add victory conditions or missions - so I unfortunatly cant make any of these factions playable.
    Since this would probably require some startpos editing, I would like to discuss this and other suggestion with you more closely, so we can work out a way to work together on this by sharing our work so it doesnt all constantly conflict.

I will also update my startpos mod that makes the migrator factions emergent in the Roman regions that they historicaly migrated to (example Burgundians in central Gaul) because this was my most effective mod in ensuring a longer survival for these factions. And will make it part of the changes I previously mentioned as being intended for the Sarmatian factions.

If energy remains, I will then attend to the minor factions such as Palmyra and will make unit packs such as those I made for the Suebi, to make the minor factions a little more unique.

What do you intend to do with your skills if this is the last DLC?
    Are you interested in using my work and making it part of yours?
    Are you interested in sharing your work?
    Do you think there should be a mod project to finalise the game if this is the last DLC?

Default Re: If Garmatia is the last Faction... do we Mod the rest now???

I don't understand why you are complaining. Do you expect CA to make a DLC pack of every single faction in the game? You were going to complain anyways because they cost money. Garmatia is an FLC if you don't like them you aren't paying for them at least, and they aren't "nobodies", I suggest you go read a few books on the Berbers.

Oh yeah he's complaining. But he knows how to mod, so he can at least do something - not just whining, but actually DO something. This is a "what should we mod then?" thread.

For me, thank god for Avetis and his Armenia mod. Need to wait for a while after the DLC release though.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

The Germans are coming if i may say it again: Roxolani and Budinians are just filler factions that were long gone before 395 starting date. the Buduians were exting at least from 400BC onwards and they are somehow, And Roxolani were settled in pannonia and other parts in western europe by Constantine the Great at the start of the 4th century.The Iazyges did absolutely nothing and stayed in 1 place in Pannonia until they ere assimilated into the Avars after the 570s

If You want to make a Samaritan culture pack themed mod? Do the Khazars(the ak-khazars - translated to white khazars),Avars and the Bulgarians like I did in BI by giving them Persian culture and being settled.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

are there any good mods to proper represent Caucasus, Kartli and Lazika included?
    I haven't found any tbh..

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

I will play rome2 DeI mod for now. the attila will be complete with proper mods not earlier than in a year
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post
    I don't understand why you are complaining. Do you expect CA to make a DLC pack of every single faction in the game? You were going to complain anyways because they cost money. Garmatia is an FLC if you don't like them you aren't paying for them at least, and they aren't "nobodies", I suggest you go read a few books on the Berbers.
    Hey! Got anything to add? Got any modding skills? Got anything at all? Well then....

I might have only been making mods for arround a year or two now... but that makes me feel confident enought to tell you to go bother someone else with your childish crap!

Here is the tutorial section:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Resources

I suggest you start with unit modding. Thats at least where I started boy. Come back once you have something relevant to say or ohohohohoooo something to actualy even do!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    are there any good mods to proper represent Caucasus, Kartli and Lazika included?
    I haven't found any tbh..
    You would say a Caucasian faction besides Armenia should be made playable amongst the Eastern factions Culture set?

Do you know more about the Caucasus and it`s inhabitants during that time period?

Asking out of interest, would be nice to know as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    The Germans are coming if i may say it again: Roxolani and Budinians are just filler factions that were long gone before 395 starting date. the Buduians were exting at least from 400BC onwards and they are somehow, And Roxolani were settled in pannonia and other parts in western europe by Constantine the Great at the start of the 4th century.The Iazyges did absolutely nothing and stayed in 1 place in Pannonia until they ere assimilated into the Avars after the 570s

If You want to make a Samaritan culture pack themed mod? Do the Khazars(the ak-khazars - translated to white khazars),Avars and the Bulgarians like I did in BI by giving them Persian culture and being settled.
    So you would say that the Roxolani and Budinians should be removed as factions completly from the game or replaced with two new ones?

I thought the Bulgars and Avars (caucasian) appeard much later?

Well the Avars were the Uar and Honni tribes inside the white huns and some of them were with Attila ' huns.The Khazars as well.For the Bulgarians there were countless documents from Armenia that they were already in Eastern Europe just north of the Caucasus region as early as the 3rd century. CA did the most idio tic move when representing the huns in TW:Attila -all units of the nomadic factions are with Mongolian faces and with modern Hungarian names for the generals -+ 2-3 names that are Bulgarian from that era like Avitohol ,Alcek and Ziezi.

The truth is most of the nomads in that time were Indo-European not Turkic looking and speaking nations.The nomadic elites were Turkic but the mass of the people were Indo-Europeans.
    The White and Red Huns that formed The Hephtalite empire were the last Indo-European nomadic political movement before Sassanid Persia and the Turkic khaganate defeated them in the mid 6th century and forced them to migrate to Northern India and Pannonia in Europe. The states formed in Pakistan-Afghanistan region lasted until the Muslim Arabs overran them in the late 7th century. And the Avars that led the nomads from Central Asia survived till Charlemagne overran them.

The Khazars in the 5th century AD had heavy Alani influence with their roots as nation is in modern Afghanistan where 2 million Hazara people still live there. After the expansion of Tang China in Central Asia in the late 6 - 7th century there was big migration of Turkic tribes into the nomadic Khazarian teratory where the Turkic element dominant over the Indo-European Iranian speakers.

Now for the Bulgarians I can write at least 1000 letters long text about them.Right now I will stop here because I'm typing from my phone.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    You would say a Caucasian faction besides Armenia should be made playable amongst the Eastern factions Culture set?

Do you know more about the Caucasus and it`s inhabitants during that time period?

Asking out of interest, would be nice to know as much as possible.
    well, I must say I am not very well-versed in the history of Caucasus at that time, more about its Medieval period, yet I've traveled there and seen myself one of the first Christian temples in the world, in Georgia, built just during the time-frame of the game, when St. Nino brought Christianity to Georgia and it became one of the first countries in the world to officially adopt it as state religion. This region is very badly represented with hideous "sassanid-type" eastern rosters and it saddens me to think this would remain so (without mods at least). It's definitely much more important to the world history than the obscure garmatians or whatever (who already had a culturally-correct roster anyway)
    Last edited by Beregond; February 19, 2016 at 08:32 AM.

Hey! Got anything to add? Got any modding skills? Got anything at all? Well then....

I might have only been making mods for arround a year or two now... but that makes me feel confident enought to tell you to go bother someone else with your childish crap!

Here is the tutorial section:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Resources

I suggest you start with unit modding. Thats at least where I started boy. Come back once you have something relevant to say or ohohohohoooo something to actualy even do!!!!

The only one acting childish here is you. All I said was that you were complaining (which you were) and I never said anything about your godly modding skills, why do you got to be so hostile? Showing off your skills and telling me I got none....there is nothing more childish, and btw I do mod but just not in total war, mostly Skyrim.

I actually Support your modding ideas and I am happy that we have modders that provide the community with more factions and extras to the game.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

So you would say that the Roxolani and Budinians should be removed as factions completly from the game or replaced with two new ones?
    Yes. The Roxolani and Budinians should not be in Attila Total War. I am 100% certain of this. It's a simple case of CA looking for names to fill up the campaign map with.

During this point of history the steppe was the playground of the Alani and Huns. The forest steppe (western/northern Ukraine and Belarus) was where the Proto-Slavic tribes lived, and to the north of them were the Baltic tribes...who once inhabited a vast stretch of territory as far east as modern day Moscow.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Seems like they are finally dumping this game too. This is sad. I wanted to play Gupta Empire of India, which was the wealthiest and most powerful empire on earth in this time...not to mention it had the largest navy and army on earth as well (numbering around 800,000-1,000,000, the empire and clients combined). Would've been really nice to play
    Last edited by General Maximus; February 19, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

I think everyone wanted it to be Armenia, but there was a decent mod for that already. Right now I find the African units a little bland (seem to be similiar to the middle eastern ones) so maybe garamatians are an ok faction to buff.

My big problem with DLC and flc in general is that these faction's often die off early in a campaign when the AI plays them, I almost wish that no faction could go extinct for like 50 turns at least (unless the player does it)

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

I'm interested in playing Garamantia. They're a civilization that thrived, adapted, rivaled the Egyptians in many ways. But, they vanished from existence. All that remains are fragments of their civilization. Why not play them?! Hopefully they'll add some interesting cultural traits and a handful of units.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    But, they vanished from existence. All that remains are fragments of their civilization.
    Archaeological research on them starts to get going tho. The Italians are very eager in excavating Garama and the surrounding settlements and only very recently (end of 2014) they have published four fat reports on their arcaheological investigations in that area. Garamantia slowly starts to turn into a tangible culture, leaving the mythical state in which it had been before. There is still much to learn about them though, especially about the aspects which are relevant for Total War (Clothing and warfare).

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Seems like they are finally dumping this game too. This is sad. I wanted to play Gupta Empire of India, which was the wealthiest and most powerful empire on earth in this time...not to mention it had the largest navy and army on earth as well (numbering around 800,000-1,000,000, the empire and clients combined). Would've been really nice to play
    Sindh, the Gupta , Kushan and Harsha empires, will be playable in my Barbarian Invasions mod.Dont worry.The unit roster is done for a long time.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; February 20, 2016 at 01:53 AM.