Thread: No More Winters Mod

Default No More Winters Mod

MOD CONTENT
    The MOD visually removes the season of winter. Consequently, battle will also not have any snow on the ground. The "season of winter" still exist in the game files. The mod loads the summer world image instead of the winter image. Since the game still recognizes the season of winter, you still will have the probability of snow during battles. If you like rain or snow, this mod will not change that. In fact, the mod does not alter that specific game file. So, if you currently have a climate mod, this mod will not conflict at all.

It is also possible to change the text from Winter to whatever you want. Personally I would switch Summer to Fall or Autumn and Winter to Spring. However, this would be imperfect if you do more than 2 turns per year. Whatever you choose it will be imperfect unless you come up with something out of the box. For this reason I am no rush to create a "text" file alteration.

IMPLICATIONS
    You are now free to implement as many turns per season as you would like without dealing with the "zebra effect" of the seasons. Up until now, the best soloution had been to have three turns per year to have two summers and then one winter. However, this means each turn is 4 months long. If you do not like the fact it takes you 8 months to go from Madrid to Lisbon, then this may be the MOD for you.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT
    The vast majority of battle were not fought in Winter. The weapons were not conducive to winter campaigns. Moreover, the game does not have climate attrition. You will lose little historical significance by removing winters in the game play.

FOR MODDERS
    This is a free to use open source mod. However, please do give credit. Thank you in advance.

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION
    1- Unzip the file.
    2- Extract to the Main Data Folder.
    Note: It is a movie file and load without the need to alter the user.empire_script.txt file)
    Changes to the Text File
    GENERAL INFORMATION
    It is located in the Main Data Folder:
    patch_en.pack
    If you are using a hosted mod or other mod that changes this file, they may call it Localization/ Localisation or text file. It may be part of the main file in which case you will find it listed as "Text"
    There are two files inside:
    localisation.loc and ui.loc
    STEPS TO FOLLOW
    Select
    Localisation.loc,... a table will appear. Click on "localised String." This alphabetize the list. Find "Winter" and "Summer" and change to whatever you like.
    Select ui.loc,... a table appear. click on "localised String." This alphabetize the list. Find:
    Summer||Each year lasts two turns, one turn for the season of summer and one turn for winter.
    Winter||Each year lasts two turns, one turn for the season of summer and one turn for winter.

You can change this to whatever you want it to say. I do not know if there is word limit however.
    Please leave any suggestions, questions and comments.
    Last edited by PikeStance; January 18, 2019 at 09:48 PM.

Default Re: No More Winters Mod

Excellent! Thanks for this. I considered doing something like this myself

It's true that winter was "off-season" during this time period. Armies went into winter quarters, and campaigning generally recommenced in the spring. In addition, I think that the battle map graphics for snow on the ground and on the trees look less appealing than the greener landscapes - musket smoke stand out more against a lush backdrop.

A question: which file contains the text for the season names? And also, do you know (or personally perform) any scripting for ETW? Your mod Imperial Splendour perhaps includes some. I have an idea about armies requiring raiding in towns in order to replenish their forces, and this is perhaps possible through scripting.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

It can be found in the Main,pack
    campaign>terrain> campaign_snow_mask_summer.dds and campaign_snow_mask_winter.dds
    Easier enough to mod, but the names threw me off the scent. I also thought I had to alter the battle maps, but no.
    I personally hove not scripted anything; I scripted what others have done. Through WALI, there are many things possible, but I am still learning about the potential. It is something I would love to learn to do myself, but I have so little time and so little knowledge.

I did the above on a whim because i got tired of fighting battle in the snow despite having two of the three seasons as Summer.

Anyway, if you are interested in scripting, check out this thread. The second post.

Thanks, but I meant the names for the seasons on the campaign map - like you suggested I want them to be called "Fall" and "Spring".

I'm in the same boat really. The mechanics for supply/attrition is probably the only thing I'm greatly missing from the game, so it's doubtful I'd learn about scripting ÉTW only for that.

Also, I'm guessing that not many functions are available directly to us, necessitating the use of memory injection... hmmm. I was hoping to avoid that, quite frankly. But I'll read a bit more and maybe report back.

I updated the OP to answer your question about the text file editing.

Thank you.

EDIT: Made replacement ambient tracks for the campaign map that people can use in a mod (they are in sounds_sfx.pack/sfx/ambiences). These are rain and thunder instead of cold winds.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by -Durango-; February 21, 2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Update

Hello fellow Empire enthusiasts.

It is mod award time and nominations are currently taking place. If you enjoy this mod and other known, please let it be known.

Please go here to nominate.