Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The pictorial preview of the new town and city battle-map models: Roman, Western Greek, Eastern Greek, Eastern/Semitic, and Celtic/Barbarian

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The pictorial preview of the new town and city battle-map models: Roman, Western Greek, Eastern Greek, Eastern/Semitic, and Celtic/Barbarian

Ptolemaic settlements were included before by mistake, there were bugs with them. Also they look rather weird

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The pictorial preview of the new town and city battle-map models: Roman, Western Greek, Eastern Greek, Eastern/Semitic, and Celtic/Barbarian

It is possible to do anything with Roman/western greek walls in order to fix the bug where units do not climb ladders automaticly?

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

I'm affraid it would require rebuilding the walls from scratch.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Rafkos View Post
    I'm affraid it would require rebuilding the walls from scratch.
    That's a shame. It's rather irritating having to command them to do their job twice every time you assault the walls. All the more reason to start building artillery pieces and recruiting artillery crews! Thankfully the Western Greek huge city does not suffer the same problem as the Western Greek minor/large city model. Most players will rarely besiege a Western Greek huge city, though. It's mostly just minor and large ones across the map until well after the 100th turn.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

For anyone who's interested, I've deleted all the Tumblr images and uploaded them to the Imgur hosting site instead. I've also provided links to my Imgur albums for each of these cultures and their settlements. Enjoy!

Beautiful pictures of excellent work, thanks and thanks!

Indirectly it reminded me: is it possible to view our settlement as we could in RTW? (Without a siege battle happening)
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    From that webpage:

Lol. Yeah, of course a battering ram isn't going to knock down a sturdy stone wall. That was true the world over in the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st centuries BC. Celtic oppida are not exceptions to the rule. Rammed earth and stone fortifications can still be destroyed by heavily concentrated artillery fire from pieces such as the lithoblos, palintone, ballista, and onager. If you can knock down a stone wall in Syria, you can knock down a stone wall in Gaul; one is not inherently more special than the other. These walls were built more than a thousand years before the existence of thicker walls like those in 16th-18th century "star forts" designed with low, thick, angled walls to resist gunpowder artillery barrages. As far as I know ancient Celts didn't build anything remotely as defensible or strong as a star fort, so I see this entire claim by the EB II team as incredibly dubious without further information.

In Jeff Kinard's Artillery: an Illustrated History of its Impact, he states that the Roman onager, originating as early as the 3rd century BC (although he makes it clear the Romans were slow in adopting artillery from the Greeks and Carthaginians), was able to hurl stone projectiles up to a few hundred yards (a 100 lb could be hurled 400 yards), each shot weighing up to 180 lbs (i.e. 82 kg). Even the less imposing artillery on the Roman side, the ballista (the two-handed torsion artillery piece described by Vitruvius in the late 1st century BC, in the time of Augustus), was able to fire stone ammunition weighing 60 lbs (27 kg) up to 550 yards, traveling at a speed of 115 miles per hour (185 kilometers per hour). The Jewish Roman historian Josephus tells us about the destructive power of the ballistae on both men and stone (!!!) fortifications during the siege of Jotapata in 67 AD (pp 16-17):

This was the effect of the ballista being fired; you're telling me that the lithobolos and onager (now available for recruitment in in EB II), with stone ammunition that was twice as heavy, couldn't knock down Celtic stone walls with enough heavy concentrated fire? Let's look at an example of a Celtiberian castro (hill fort), the San Cibrao de Las oppidum of northern Portugal. You think Roman artillery, which was damaging the stone walls of Jotapata, was incapable of penetrating this?

http://www.ancient.eu/article/107/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tyre_(332_BC)

Just some sources about ramming the walls. It's very efficient.

About the murus gallicus, from the INRAP:

From the museum of celtic civilization in France:

Re-enactment of Bibracte's wall:
    Last edited by Genava; October 03, 2016 at 02:26 PM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12