Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The House of Caves

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The House of Caves

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse
    .. 'uncanny' ... has a hidden subtext in that the 'fate' of Valens is not that of the known versions but an uncanny one indeed . . .
    Why can't I say I'm surprised by this 'revelation' about the new novel's plot and its subtext in some way related to the 'uncanny' fate of our poor Valens?

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse
    To my surprise, Book III, The House of Caves, has already received its first review by a Stephen Flanagan:

This is the conclusion of Francis Hagen's brilliant "Janus Eagle " trilogy and what a conclusion it is. It's hard to describe the book without giving away too much of the story. Enough to say it is darkly beautiful and although anyone who has read Francis's other works will probably be able to see where it is going you will need to follow the story to its glorious conclusion. I really can't recommend this trilogy highly enough.

I am delighted to say the least!
    Once again: why can't I say I'm surprised by the news about the good reviews concerning the great (really great) novels by SBH?

Am I a new Nostradamus or some reincarnation of the Cuman Sybil, or, am I just a common reader? A reader taken by the inherent magic of the pages skilfully chiseled by SBH? .. just a reader, reading with passion the stories he would like being able to think and write?

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Renatus, I am in awe of your ability to conjure up these references.
    Thank you very much but you're not exactly a slouch in that regard yourself!

However, for me, 'uncanny' still resonates the best - especially in that as far as the novel goes, it use has a hidden subtext in that the 'fate' of Valens is not that of the known versions but an uncanny one indeed . . .
    Hmm, do I get a hint of the supernatural here?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Oh no, nothing like that. The Valens I am playing with in the novel is a character out of his depth and doing the best he can. He is a man overwhelmed by events yet who struggles to rise above them despite his inadequacies. His fate is one which he deserves and which allows him a return to his orchards . . . in a manner of speaking . . .

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

His fate is one which he deserves and which allows him a return to his orchards . . . in a manner of speaking . . .
    Or a point of view ...

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oh no, nothing like that. The Valens I am playing with in the novel is a character out of his depth and doing the best he can. He is a man overwhelmed by events yet who struggles to rise above them despite his inadequacies. His fate is one which he deserves and which allows him a return to his orchards . . . in a manner of speaking . . .
    Any time he writes, I feel the absolute need of knowing the plot, what is the fate of the emperor? How does he die? .. Or better: does he die during the battle? .. And .. in which way? Who is the killer? Is it the fate? .. Or are they the Goths the the true killers? .. Or both? .. Or, .. maybe, .. somebody else? .. And who? .. And why? All in all: How many names can have the fate? .. How many masks can wear Death before doing her job? ..

.. Dammit, He's better than Silvio Berlusconi in advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Any time he writes, I feel the absolute need of knowing the plot, what is the fate of the emperor? How does he die? .. Or better: does he die during the battle? .. And .. in which way? Who is the killer? Is it the fate? .. Or are they the Goths the the true killers? .. Or both? .. Or, .. maybe, .. somebody else? .. And who? .. And why? All in all: How many names can have the fate? .. How many masks can wear Death before doing her job? ..

.. Dammit, He's better than Silvio Berlusconi in advertising!

You better believe it!

I have just finished Book 5 of The Last Kingdom and love them.
    Hmmmm, I don't think I'll be going past the first Last Kingdom novel. The vikings are grunts, and I find it not all that authentic in terms of history. I have read a couple of such period pieces I thought were good.

Warriors of the Dragon Gold....Ray Bryant

Of the Ring of Earls.....Juliet Dymore
    Last edited by wulfgar610; April 24, 2016 at 04:18 AM.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Now the beginning of the next work rises and all those threads spun in both these previous works unravel on that great battlefield known as Adrianople. A work I am tentatively calling 'Hadrianople or The Uncanny Flame' - the astute among you should spot the origin of the subtitle!
    I am going back more than two years to ask whether this is still work in progress, has been abandoned or is due to appear soon.

It's on hold as I am almost finished writing the first book to deal with the 'Barbarian Conspiracy' in 367 AD. 'The Unquiet Shore' will be published this Summer and follows the fortunes of Flavius Sabinus, commander of the Numerus Barcariorum Tigrisiensum, newly posted to northern Britain. Among other things, it will explore why the Atecotti ended up enrolled in the Roman army. Once that story is complete, Hadrianople will finally beckon.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing 'The Unquiet Shore', when it comes out. Do keep us posted. When you refer to 'the first book to deal with the "Barbarian Conspiracy"', do you mean that there will be more or is it that you are the first to tackle the subject? I also look forward to seeing your take on Adrianople.

Now for the nit-picking! When you say 'Tigrisiensum', do you mean 'Tigrisiensium'?

Thank you, Renatus - I was typing too quickly as usual!

It's the first book in a series which is set in the events of that great conspiracy and will follow the fortunes of Flavius Sabinus. Adrianople will then follow and finally wrap up all the characters I have been writing about in the various novels since The Nowhere Legion was published back in 2012!

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

That's interesting. We shall have to see what takes Sabinus from the shores of North Britain to the plains of Western Turkey. Not a Tigris barge, I suspect!
    Last edited by Renatus; May 31, 2018 at 04:43 AM.

Now that would be an epic journey!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123