Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Eagles General Discussion Thread

Default Rise of the Eagles General Discussion Thread

Hello. I'm currently working on a napoleonic mod for this excellent title and I've decided the time has come to show something, to instill some interest and maybe try to get somebody else interested in the project should anybody wish to help. I'll try to update as often as possible.

The campaign map is set in 1806 and it starts from the confrontation of the Fourth Coalition against the French Empire and the Confederation of the Rhine. It is my intention to get the end date set to 1821 and have at least 12 turns per year. At present I'm concentrating on the strat map and all that is concerned with the map. Next I'll move to the units and the battle mechanics themselves.

Have a look at the early menu

Faction selection. You surely miss some minors, but for now they'll do. It all depends how much free time I get to complete them and if RL comes interfering. Note that I didnt modify the regions yet.

and the main UI, all the rest is going to be changed obviously

and the strat models

Captain

Diplomat

This is all for now, Next step, getting new banners.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [WIP] Rise of the Eagles - a Napoleonic mod for MTW2

Looks cool. Good luck! +rep

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

This is looking really good so far Sirlion! Really looking forward to the release in the future!
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

Thank you. Please note that the quality of the textures here doesnt represent the final product, because I'll modify the models to a better degree, and also because I'm showing strat models which require far smaller textures, and not battle models.

Regardless, British Captain

Austrian Captain

Sexy Wurttembergian Captain

Prussian Captain

Bavarian Captain, temporary helmet until I figure out how to duplicate captain models (but it may work too)

Kingdom of Italy \ Italian Captain

Last edited by Sirlion; February 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM.

If you explain to me what expanding the map to Asia would accomplish it would be interesting. I have zero interest in world wars. Machineguns and tanks made war extremely boring and artificial.

Absolutely not. I asked you "why" I should do that. I'm not wasting time on irrelevant things. And please stop bothering me via PM with nonsense. Learn some manners while you're at it.

Great work! If the map were to be expanded at all, based on what's seen in the minimap, I'd say adding a little South and West to include all of Spain and Portugal would be most logical, with Trafalgar and Gibraltar on the map. That would also connect the Mediterranean and Atlantic, as well as putting Southern Italy in play. But it looks great so far, gonna keep an eye on this one!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    Great work! If the map were to be expanded at all, based on what's seen in the minimap, I'd say adding a little South and West to include all of Spain and Portugal would be most logical, with Trafalgar and Gibraltar on the map. That would also connect the Mediterranean and Atlantic, as well as putting Southern Italy in play. But it looks great so far, gonna keep an eye on this one!
    I believe he is using the vanilla map, and that the minimap is simply zoomed in on that screenshot.

The map has not been worked on already, I'm focusing on strat models and units in general to see how long it takes and to learn the mechanics of MTW2 modding. It will most likely be the same as vanilla but double in size and without Africa / morocco in it. Most likely I'll cut pieces of the Ottoman Empire as it is not relevant in this era. We'll see.

First combat unit, French Grenadiers. I apologize for the quality of the image but Milkshape is bugged and wont render the unit properly, this has always happened, it is a well known error.

The plume

I'd like to point out that this is no copy-paste material. Took me about 8 hours straight but the base was solid enough. Will it work in battle? Dont know, but at least it was converted to .mesh properly. Shako texture courtesy of PdGuru (I owe a lot to that gentleman!)

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Most likely I'll cut pieces of the Ottoman Empire as it is not relevant in this era.
    There was a Russo-Turkish war (1806-1812) and Anglo-Turkish war (1807-1809) and both are considered as part of the Napoleonic Wars. In both cases the results had influence on the balance of powers during the Napoleonic period. The Ottoman Empire controlled the Bosphorus and Dardanelles straits which had great strategic importance for all major powers of that period. I agree that it was not a major player during that era, but then some of the little german factions which you already included were even less important in comparison.

There were many "sub wars" shall we say, not including the war of 1812 between US and Britain, or Sweden against Britain, however these wars were of little importance or even on paper only. Including every war fought during the period IMHO doesnt really grant realism. The german states are important because of the nationalist movements that were born in Germany during the period and that is a particularly relevant topic that exploded in 1848. Also these factions participated in all of the conflicts till the very end and formed the main defense force against invaders for France in central Europe. Ottoman role however decreased a lot after 1807 - which is basically the start of the campaign - and they had many more problems at home, sultan deposed, massacre of their new elite troops by the janissary etc. I will include them thats for sure, however I feel their role on the campaign map should be very restricted. We'll see.

Domesticus

Very nice!

Congratulations Sirlion!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    There were many "sub wars" shall we say, not including the war of 1812 between US and Britain, or Sweden against Britain, however these wars were of little importance or even on paper only. Including every war fought during the period IMHO doesnt really grant realism. The german states are important because of the nationalist movements that were born in Germany during the period and that is a particularly relevant topic that exploded in 1848. Also these factions participated in all of the conflicts till the very end and formed the main defense force against invaders for France in central Europe. Ottoman role however decreased a lot after 1807 - which is basically the start of the campaign - and they had many more problems at home, sultan deposed, massacre of their new elite troops by the janissary etc. I will include them thats for sure, however I feel their role on the campaign map should be very restricted. We'll see.
    You can include them as a non playable faction with a non expansionistic campaign ai, such as the papal ai label, so they'll guard their borders against invasions and make trade with other factions, but never try to conquer anyone else.

Do you have plans to include Byg's Grim Reality or anything similar, with supply lines and wagons needed to keep armies fed on the march? That mechanic is the closest I can think of to emulating things like Napoleon's invasion of Russia without specifically scripting it as an event.

That was my intention, yes. However I'd need to integrate it first and I know nothing about scripting so it will take some time. Plus there are many versions of that mod and some have dead links. Which version would you suggest?

New battle UI interface. Criticism accepted.

Centenarius

What a nice mod! good job Sirlion + rep. About that battle UI, i like it very much it is so colorful!; just my opinion
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Thank you. While I'll wait for paleologos' help on the main grenadier model, I'm working on the strat models and, in the meantime, I decided to spend the afternoon in a useful manner, making some new heads.

Last edited by Sirlion; February 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I like how your models look painted. It's a nice aesthetic.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast