Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladders and siege towers too small

Default Re: Ladders and siege towers too small

i use kingdom exe with steam and i renamed my ss folder in crusades, i have resolved the problem with ladders and siege towers but now teutonic order have in campaign map rebel emblem, Lituania Aragona have 3 point and K. templar have a dragon...
    Last edited by prima legio; January 07, 2021 at 05:12 PM.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ok guys, any other possible reasons for this? I don't have steam, and my game runs through kingdoms.exe but the issue is nevertheless present. Before you ask, the entries in descr_walls and EDB are correct, our mod is built upon Bare Geomod. Thanks in advance!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prima legio View Post
    i use kingdom exe with steam and i renamed my ss folder in crusades, i have resolved the problem with ladders and siege towers but now teutonic order have in campaign map rebel emblem, Lituania Aragona have 3 point and K. templar have a dragon...
    There wasn't really a reason to rename your folders. Here is one solution to that. And here is my Stainless Steel repack that does it for you. If you use the repack then please also install the fix from that page.

Bare Geomod should have that fixed - although earlier versions had that issue mixed up. Compare your descr_walls with a recent file from Bare Geomod.

I downloaded your latest version and compared descr_walls, the entries are correct. The issue in our mod are the huge stone walls, large stone walls work fine. I tried one custom siege battle in Bare_Geomod and everything works fine there. But I noticed one difference, in GM with huge stone walls I couldn't build ladders while in our mod I can (they cannot be used against walls anyway but there shouldn't be the option to build them and the siege tower is too short)

Also in GM, in custom battles with large and huge stone walls I can choose tower level 1-3, but in our mod only 1 and 2
    Last edited by jurcek1987; May 04, 2021 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

ladders are linked to the allocated siege tower size - small and medium tower has small and medium ladders, large tower has no ladders.

The defense tower level is linked to the EDB afaik - maybe have a look there if something is missing.

Level 4 wall correctly has siege_tower_size large but for some reason medium towers are used and so ladders are available

Nothing suspicious in EDB, all walls have tower_level 1, ballista towers level 2 and cannon towers 3

Blog Entries

Maybe ask the IWTE guys - I am suspecting someone may have edited the settlement files and somehow changed the wall level there.

Thanks but we use vanilla settlement models

Blog Entries

I have had some issues with Steam over the past that edited files in mods got reversed to the initial file version that the mod had. The effect being similar to the virtual store - but then level 4 is usually never edited, so really no clue what might be happening there with you.
    Have you checked if the correct wall level has been assigned in EDB? huge_stone_wall = wall_level 4

Ok I solved the problem, phew. In our mod I use descr_walls from SS because we also use RR/RC which has, among other things, heavily modified descr_projectile. Then I tried using the unmodded descr_walls from GM in our mod and it worked flawlessly. So I just compared both files and found a typo, one } too many. So that's reason why it also happens in SS, not because of steam.

Thank you very much for your time, +rep

Blog Entries

Glad you found the issue.

Did a file compare between descr_walls from my SS repack and Bare Geomod and could only find differences in values but not in number of brackets. Could you tell me which line the surplus bracket is (best to just copy here with 5 lines before and after the bracket)? Any chance it's an issue created by RR\RC? I can imagine it would change values in there, eg fire rate and angle.

Oh I have Titanium btw so it might not be in other SS versions, though one user in this thread said it happens in SSHIP as well.

The error is here:

}
    }
    }
    }

wall
    {
    level 3
    siege_tower_size medium

Blog Entries

Yup, definitely one bracket too many - must be titanium or RR\RC based as the repack hasn't got it.

Digging this up. Seem to have a problem with ballistae being rendered cosmetic on large cities. The extra bracket described as causing the problem doesn't appear to be present.

; unit size reload_ms flaming_reload_ms
    fire_rate small 32500 31000
    fire_rate normal 32500 31000
    fire_rate large 32500 31000
    fire_rate huge 32500 31000
    }
    }
    }

wall
    {
    level 3
    siege_tower_size medium

wall
    {
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Blog Entries

It was mod specific - it's fairly easy to see if there is a surplus bracket when the file is properly formatted. Using an editor like Notepad++ actually joins pairs of brackets by fine lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It was mod specific - it's fairly easy to see if there is a surplus bracket when the file is properly formatted. Using an editor like Notepad++ actually joins pairs of brackets by fine lines:

Ah. Nvmind.

If you did solve it, it's your SS repack with the bugfix and the specific issue is ballistae towers being cosmetic in cities on campaign. Fixed the siege tower/ladder problem by, as said in-thread, changing the siege tower size for level 2 walls to medium, but the ballistae are weirding me out.
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123