Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

hessam's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Sweden

by the way, about the Khwarazmid army I promised you, I came across a great Farsi doctoral dissertation about the structure of the court and the army in the Khwarazmid Empire. I've emailed the author and asked for a copy. I'll let you know about that too.
    Last edited by hessam; September 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM.

Awesome! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hessam View Post
    by the way, about the Khwarazmid army I promised you, I came across a great Farsi doctoral dissertation about the structure of the court and the army in the Khwarazmid Empire. I've emailed the author and asked for a copy. I'll let you know about that too.
    Can you please share your findings in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...vassals-states, I would really love to know more about the Khwarizmian military, and I am sure others would too.

hessam's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post
    Can you please share your findings in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...vassals-states, I would really love to know more about the Khwarizmian military, and I am sure others would too.
    Sure thing.

Hey good work with Sweden!

Its a bit sad that Finland isn´t on the map and that there is just gonna be one town in Sweden on the campaign.
    Anyway i would like to know what the nobel houses on the sheilds of the knights and bondir are, I identified the House of Bjälbo but i'm not sure what the else is are they like the houses of Night and Day (Natt och Dag), Oxenstierna etc? Also are you gonna make a "King" unit on the early period cuz at the time of 1212 ad the king was Erik Eriksson of the "Erik house?" (Not sure how to translate it). This is not a problem on the unites, i belive Birger Jarls house Bjälbo was a big "Noble" family at that time. Points is that if you make a "King" unit The Erik house banner would be good.

You Probally realise im not that good at speaking English so sorry for that.

Yeah, King Erik and Birger Jarl will be added eventually.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

"i belive Birger Jarls house Bjälbo was a big "Noble" family at that time."
    Well yes, although there are a few problems with this:
    1 there wasn't really nobility as in the rest of Europe, instead of there being a hierarchy of ranks with different amount of lands (aproximately) your power was based on your amount of land no matter if you were a bishop; odal farmer, warrior or anything else. Anyone would've had a retinue who could. And many regions didn't have any real elites at all but were "farmer republics", with militias of farmers. Such as the upplands, and many of the harads in the "small lands" (småland) wich were incredibly small polities partly independent. (ask for more info if you want)
    That's why the noble houses amongst the knights is a bit anachronistic (probably) before 1250-1300 when the social system came to resemble the rest of Europe and a powerful dynasty (yes the one from bjälbo) came to power; before the king changed from the houses of Erik and Sverker almost by every king (usually the civil wars went like this; the Eriks got support from Norwegian nobles neighbouring Sweden, and the sverkers from the king of Denmark who supplied knights, anyone might try to enlist support of more common people who feelt threatened by the expanding royal power, like the uppland farmers supported the folkunga in 1250s, eventually when the new king died the same happened all over again, for the first half of the 13th century).

That's also why a kings unit would be quite difficouly to tie to characters, rather king of sweden and jarl of sweden units could be used (maybe), the jarl being the second most important person to the king, a kind of prime minister who led armies amongst other things. Jarl Birger Magnusson wasn't king though his son was elected such, but should logically have his own unit because of his importance compared to the numerous petty kings in the period. The kings retinue could be called riddare, knights litteraly. Even though there were more knights who were summoned by the "rusttjänst" (equipment duty roughly) they would've been titled svenner; storsvenner or småsvenner and the like. Only the king could actually knight people and there were generally just a few hundred knights at most in the realm. Logically most of them would've been kings men.

Bascily this is highlighting the problems with the various knights unit working in the same way as in the rest of europe, equipment wise nothing is wrong or I don't know about it anyways. Basicly before 1250 a lot of people, including the king have their own retinues of people who might have their own retinues, to create an army use your retinue plus allied nobles and kingdoms and conscripted farmers if you are the king.

Ask for sources, written from memory but based on Prof. Dick Harrisons book
    Last edited by Linke; October 21, 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My only request with the Swedish roster is to include a unit called Men of Dale, or Dalesmen (Dalarna), in honor of Lord of the Rings. That would be absolutely glorious. Also, a unit in the Norwegian roster called Orcadians (Orkney). My god, what have I done. xD

Medieval artwork from Norway. Mostly tier 2 and 3.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some images below are later iterations. I.e. Some of the images are from late 15th century, 4 of them are from 1520 (which is late medieval here in Norway), but could work as paintings on pavises and two that has an eastern style.
    1000-1280

First half of the 14th century

Round shields with the images below would be quite nice for Sergeants/men-at-arms. https://www.flickr.com/photos/980156...57634570914570

1300-50

Christians on the right side, ~1300

church artwork, not sure when

1450, Trondheim
    king St. Olaf, holding his ax, named Hel, 15th century

15th century

15th century Norwegian 'St Olav' sallet and spurs

One
    Two
    Tree

Owned by the Stormann Jon Marteinsson (meaning 'Great Man', basically a magnate). According to the wills at the time, "I would like to be transported with my warhorse to the place I'm going to be buried. I want to bring my full harness and all the gear that belong to it. My shield and helmet should be placed at in the church where St Olav now rest." He died at some part during the later part of the 15th century.

In 1564, Swedes consisting of 800 knekts looted the church, believing the sallet and spurs belonged to St Olav... A saint who died more than half a millennium earlier.

source:
    Frans-Arne Hedlund Stylegar, archeologist.
    http://arkeologi.blogspot.no/2011/10...avs-hjelm.html

Orkney, ~1103-1319

1520, recreation of the alterpiece. St olaf in armour
    Here is the original

Probably late 15th century judging by the armour. St Olav on the left. female saint on the right, madonna. (for the record, there are no gender specific armour)

It's hard to see exactly which period this plate armour comes form. In my opinion, the style painting doesn't look too much like 16th century. It looks darkened armour, but that could be due to degradation of the painting. No sabatons and golden polyens. He appear to have some sort of mace or scepter in his right hand.

The first link contain almost all 1300 to mid 14th century. http://imgur.com/a/lfcuB

The other two galleries contains images from late 15th to early 16th century.
    Imgur galleri, part 2. http://imgur.com/a/AtONk

Part 3. http://imgur.com/a/Pfqj3

13th and 14th century Norwegian maces.
    http://imgur.com/a/c2ZLr
    Source

PS: I'd like to be careful when looking at Part 2 and 3, specially if there is no date. The archaeology database provides no dates, so we have to take care.

For the record, the knee-long lames that continue down the thigh area, the "alamai rivets", is a sign that you're entering the 16th century. From what I've seen of 15th century versions, it only appears from the personal armourer of the Arch duke or Tyrol and the Emperor Maximilian in 1490, as you can see from the one example of the Royal Armouries of Leeds. Smaller proto versions of these types is sometimes I've seen, like the Heir to the Holy Roman Empire, Philip I of Castile, but one should be careful due to the fact that we often see Victorians "repairing" armour to the point they're non-functioning, specially this area of the armour as Ian Laspina has pointed out. To summarize, be careful and ask questions if you're unsure about a particular date.

https://collections.royalarmouries.o...ject-1225.html
    A similar back piece of that armour can be found on the drawing of a Swabian knight: http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Co...age.75855.html
    https://no.pinterest.com/pin/182325484890286609/
    http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21487

Kingly person in plate armour, 1490.

Dated 1490. St Olaf. Golden crown, red textile 'thing' ontop. Plate armour, partially covered by the red cape he helds with his left hand infront of himself. Also an axe. articulated legharness, but no sabatons.

http://imgur.com/a/7wjFJ

Extent survivals of two Norwegian kite shields.
    Late 11th century

Late 12th century, possibly older.

Kontext: http://imgur.com/a/3rMmx
    Harald Nissen also state that it had a leather cover. Additionally, that they might've been reinforced with ironstrips or bands, but he doesn't elaborate on why this might've been the case.

"På det har det igjen vært lagt et lag med lær. Det varpå denne måten riddertidens skjold ble fremstilt,treskjold hvorpå det kunne være lagt læreller pergament. De kunne også være forsterketmed jernspiler eller jernbånd."
    p.44. Norwegian.

~Wille
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unimus-UM-photo.jpg   unimus-UM-photo (1).jpg   unimus-KHM-photo (1).jpg   unimus-KHM-photo.jpg   unimus-KHM-photo (2).jpg  

unimus-VM-photo.jpg  
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 09, 2016 at 02:44 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Decanus

Some Daleskarls would be nice.

Laetus

I have been told that you are the one they call sly and i am here becous if Sweden is worse then Denmark in the campaign release of this mod i will be VERY dissapointed in you, FuzFuzFuz and my cat. And add sapmi cavalry to Sweden and Norway.

Laetus

Sly i am very glad you are considering adding the samis so im gonna try and convince you now. As you said in a reply earlier this is an empire building game and if sweden became bigger they would almost certainly be forced to press the samis into action for the manpower and just imagine how badass it would look, and moose cavalry, we need moose cavalry (i am a ridicolus man)

Again, I'm talking not the Samis living on the very North of Scandinavia, I'm talking about the guys living in what is considered modern day Finland as potential units. As interesting as Swedish Elk Cavalry will present, I don't think Samis played a significant role in military; otherwise, they wouldn't be the very beautiful and isolated culture they are known for today.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Add Santa as well!!!!!

Decanus

Just add Gustav II Adolf while you are at it.

add the Vasa also pls

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

The Vasa submarine! )

haha yes with Gustav and his Salmon Bro

Laetus

As a Swede i would really appriciate seeing a full Swedish roster in the game. Norway which will not have any of territory of its won right now have a bigger roster then Sweden which will have its own territory. If you are looking for insperation or something along the lines of that you can look at the Swedish movie and tv series Arn. And as Swedens and Norways rosters have not been so different in the past you could recoulor units like vepnere and table men and rename them and bring them to the Swedish roster.

Laetus

deleted Osprey pic due to copyright
    Last edited by Ltd.; March 11, 2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: deleted Osprey pic due to copyright

Laetus