Thread: Your Impressions of AI?

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Default Your Impressions of AI?

The most important thing in TW games for me is the AI, and its one of the biggest reasons why I'm not playing the Attila or Rome II.
    So I'm wondering whats your impressions of AI for this mod.

But first, mine;
    Until now, I've seen AI being mostly defensive against other AI or player, except rebels even when they have big armies and good money

I think Line of sight stuff values of all characters (including spies) was lowered and I'm wondering if thats affecting the AI in a bad way?
    I mean they keep trying to put Spies in my regions but not attacking.

On "Very Hard" difficulty, 1st turn Epirus and Romans make Ceasefire for example, and many others also accept peace very easily.

Well let's say thats for start, they wanna make money first etc but I've played Romans -Normal difficulty- for like 45 years and very rarely got attacked
    Even when Gauls had the biggest army in the world they sent 1 stack for attacking a rather weaker city, Genova I think, (I had big army on Mediolanium) even thou I see they had more than 3 full stacks nearby Massilia (Greek city)
    And I kept making buildings and money which is about to pass 1 million so I've stopped playing for now.

Anyway I'm playing Seleucids on VH atm and will see if things will be different later on. (Its same as Normal diff atm)
    That being said idk whats the effects of difficulties on RTW.

Ps. AI is still better than Attila's I believe. Because there they would run away and let you take their cities when see you a bit stronger.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; January 28, 2016 at 05:11 AM.

Default Re: Your Impressions of AI?

Well obviously vanilla AI isn't the best but I think these forts that have rebels inside are confusing the AI

Click to view content: 

After a failure they were back to horsing around

Click to view content: 

Summary is:

I keep seeing that AI failing againts rebel armies and repeat the same again and again.
    So problem isn't that AI being passive but getting confused by the amount of rebels.

Only Rome and (maybe Carthage) seem to be doing well against them and expand their borders.
    I was expecting a challenging campaign with Seleucids tbh but didn't have it in ~20-25 years so maybe will start a new game that doesn't have most of the forts.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; February 02, 2016 at 11:25 AM.

Now I'm playing Carthage on Very Hard difficulty (on RTW: Alexander) and have some Good news!

With the help of this "Fort-immobilized spy removal" guide I've removed those spies, so the already empty or emptied forts were disappeared after I've ended my turn.
    Then AI was tended to better because as I suspected those Forts -that have some rebels inside- were confusing the AI and for some reason they would focus on them rather than towns, which was slowing down their progress. (Well, not all factions but still)

Therefore I hope that now AI will consolidate itself much faster and will focus on player more, eventually.
    But there is just one thing that I don't understand: Why Epirus makes peace with Rome on turn 1 and become passive afterwards? (They don't accept my Ceasefire thou)

Maybe it's a bit early to talk yet, will see
    Last edited by SharpEyed; February 02, 2016 at 06:18 PM.

I wasn't playing the game for some months and now I'm again with my unfinished Carthage (VH) campaign.
    And given about 40-45 years into it.

Unfortunately Epirus is still relatively passive, apart from moving its armies back and forth a bit. Still not at war with Rome and still have those 2 cities in Italy's bottom.
    And me finished off the Numidians but still at war with Spain and Romans, thou probably will finish off the first one soon.

Now that I have the north of the Spain (except North-West) Romans keep sending full-stack armies towards me.
    Only problem is that they send 1 army at a time (that I can defeat) which seems to be the main problem of the AI.

I've seen 2 armies that each is at the doorstep of one city at the same time but it's the first time I've seen such thing happened and still not 2 army per city.
    Unless I don't sally out the turn they besiege.

Tired/Weary, Wounded/Lame etc traits (Which AI seems to get them often) might have an effect on this as well but doubt they are the main problem.

- - - -

And there is something off about signing a peace treaty as well..

For example I've driven away Greeks from Sicily and not have any border with them but they didn't sign the treaty without me giving some money.
    They lowered the money they want, in some years but still.
    Last edited by SharpEyed; June 06, 2016 at 07:34 AM.

Mass permanent forts will butcher campaign AI. EB2 had this problem and they had to remove all of them as a result.
    The AI just cant seem to deal with that many of them.