Thread: What's the go-to submod nowadays?

Default What's the go-to submod nowadays?

Hey guys,

I think I'm going to give SS a go again and it will be my first time in a long while. I haven't really played since the days of Point blank's excellent RR/RC compilations.

Looking for something that is an improvement on vanilla not anything that drastically changes the gameplay of the mod. Something like RR/RC would be perfect. Also looking for something that is polished and relatively bug-free.

Also are there any compilations that include Caesar Clivus's excellent Battle for the Baltic mod? I know that's for 6.4 and I've always been a big fan of his work.

Love NCAA football? Go here.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: What's the go-to submod nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    Hey guys,

I think I'm going to give SS a go again and it will be my first time in a long while. I haven't really played since the days of Point blank's excellent RR/RC compilations.

Looking for something that is an improvement on vanilla not anything that drastically changes the gameplay of the mod. Something like RR/RC would be perfect. Also looking for something that is polished and relatively bug-free.

Also are there any compilations that include Caesar Clivus's excellent Battle for the Baltic mod? I know that's for 6.4 and I've always been a big fan of his work.
    Hi Asparagus,

Firstly, as far as BFTB, its not been included in any new mods, due to Caesar not being about for a long time, it also has a different map, than pretty much any other mod.

As far as new sub mods, I would check out SSHIP and Titanium, these offer improvements over 6.4, different units and factions, feel free to check out each.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have nothing but good things to say about SSHIP, a spectacular mod. It would be unfair by calling it a submod, it's more like a remake. A huge upgrade on vanilla SS. Titanium is great as well, you can't go wrong with either.

I was looking at the Titanium subforum. Isn't it still in alpha?

What would you say the main difference between SSHIP and Titanium is?
    Last edited by Asparagus; January 28, 2016 at 07:44 PM.

Love NCAA football? Go here.

SSHIP is much more polished than Titanium
    SSHIP campaign starts around 1142 IIRC and offers some different factions like Pisa, Rūm, Serbia and Zangids while missing Genoa, Teutonic Order and Kwarezm.

Titanium has 2 campaigns one starting at 1100 that features a Zirid Ifriqyian faction and another starting at 1139 with nascent Kingdom of Portugal
    Titanium campaigns only reach till the Black Plague ca1350 while there is another campaign being developed to cover from 1300+

Both submods add Abbasids and Georgia factions but remove Timurids

EDIT:

hadn't realised SSHIP released a new version recently, they do have an extra campaign now

I've been playing Titanium, I like it better then SSHIH or whatever. It just has more features in my opinion. I found the history mod to just add a lot of text that wasn't making my gameplay experience any more immersive. Just harder to understand.

Just out of curiosity: What kind of text do you refer to?

I just play vanilla Stainless Steel 6.4 I don't enjoy any of the submods. They all end up doing something I really don't like at all.

I quite enjoy Byg's Grim Reality V. I have tried Historical Improvement Project, and it's quite authentic, certainly an upgrade, but I prefer BGRV's attempt to simulate the feudal system of lordship, and placing some real limitations on the player rather than pretend these things existed in the unit descriptions. (Also, 12 turns per year makes starting campaigns in the spring an important consideration, and allows more time for characters to influence their faction's status.) It does take a lot of reading the instruction manual to fully comprehend causes and effects, so casual strategy gamers would be better served downloading HIP in my opinion.
    Last edited by Dauntless07; February 11, 2016 at 09:45 AM.

SSHIP

Titanium is actually extremely stable, don't let the "alpha" title dissuade you. There are just a bunch of other new features that are to be added to the mod which will take a while to complete. Big patches come out every few months or so.