Thread: Modding quotes

Apani's Avatar Senator

Default Modding quotes

So I just started modding quotes, I want to order the .txt file by author and book to make translation and managing easier, and also give a uniform praxis to quotes (as in, let's say "Marcus Tullius Cicero, x, x" instead of just having "Cicero, x, x" sometimes).

First I put Homer's quotes which were already formatted, then Archilochos' which were instead unclassified. So after some searching I found these documents to help me place them: 1, 2
    They can also be used to get more quotes later on. By the way, I'm not certain on praxis, but my books use things like "Fr. 1 W.", also I see the internet uses "Fr. 128 W.2" instead of "Fr. 128.2 W.". Can anybody confirm this is the correct way?
    So here is it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    {Quote_1}Odysseus, Achaea's pride and glory- famous Odysseus [...] Zeus who marshals the storm cloud loves you [...]
    {trans_1}Zeus' daughter too with the shield of thunder. Athena's eyes are shining on you!
    {Author_1}Homer, Iliad, 10.627-639, passim
    {Quote_2}There is one omen, and one only - that a man should fight for his country.
    {Author_2}Homer, Iliad, 12.243
    {Quote_3}If any of you is struck by spear or sword and loses his life,
    {trans_3}let him die; he dies with honor who dies fighting for his country.
    {Author_3}Homer, Illiad, 15.496-497
    {Quote_4}There can be no covenants between men and lions, wolves and lambs can never be of one mind.
    {Author_4}Achilles to Hector; Homer, Iliad, 22.262-263
    {Quote_5}Let him go first: Ares is a democrat. There are no privileged men on a battlefield.
    {Author_5}Archilochos, Fr. 3 D.
    {Quote_6}And by a prudent flight and cunning save a life which valour could not, from the grave.
    {trans_6}A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again?
    {Author_6}Archilochos, Fr. 13 D.
    {Quote_7}Let who will boast their courage in the field, I find but little safety from my shield,
    {trans_7}Nature's, not honour's law we must obey: This made me cast my useless shield away.
    {Author_7}Archilochos, Fr. 13 D.
    {Quote_8}Shield against shield, keep the shield-wall tight. And the gift of death they bring, let no man take.
    {Author_8}Archilochos, Fr. 22 D.
    {Quote_9}Throw forward your chest to the enemy; Keep close in the attack; move back not an inch.
    {Author_9}Archilochos, Fr. 72 D.4-7
    {Quote_10}In war, out of hospitality, we leave them their dead as a gift to remember us by.
    {Author_10}Archilochos, Fr. 184 D.
    {Quote_11}Dead men cannot hear the peoples' praise. We strive instead, alive, to win honour from the living.
    {Author_11}Archilochos, Fr. 231 D.1-4

Also, as you can see, there are two quotes from Archilochos which are actually two wildly different adaptations of the same quote.
    Personally I'd propose this translation, as it seems both pleasant and close to the original text:
    "I don't give a damn if some Thracian ape strut, proud of that first-rate shield the bushes got.
    Leaving it was hell, but in a tricky spot. I kept my hide intact. Good shields can be bought."
    Last edited by Apani; January 28, 2016 at 12:57 PM.

Laetus

Default Re: Modding quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    So I just started modding quotes, I want to order the .txt file by author and book to make translation and managing easier, and also give a uniform praxis to quotes (as in, let's say "Marcus Tullius Cicero, x, x" instead of just having "Cicero, x, x" sometimes).

First I put Homer's quotes which were already formatted, then Archilochos' which were instead unclassified. So after some searching I found these documents to help me place them: 1, 2
    They can also be used to get more quotes later on. By the way, I'm not certain on praxis, but my books use things like "Fr. 1 W.", also I see the internet uses "Fr. 128 W.2" instead of "Fr. 128.2 W.". Can anybody confirm this is the correct way?
    So here is it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    {Quote_1}Odysseus, Achaea's pride and glory- famous Odysseus [...] Zeus who marshals the storm cloud loves you [...]
    {trans_1}Zeus' daughter too with the shield of thunder. Athena's eyes are shining on you!
    {Author_1}Homer, Iliad, 10.627-639, passim
    {Quote_2}There is one omen, and one only - that a man should fight for his country.
    {Author_2}Homer, Iliad, 12.243
    {Quote_3}If any of you is struck by spear or sword and loses his life,
    {trans_3}let him die; he dies with honor who dies fighting for his country.
    {Author_3}Homer, Illiad, 15.496-497
    {Quote_4}There can be no covenants between men and lions, wolves and lambs can never be of one mind.
    {Author_4}Achilles to Hector; Homer, Iliad, 22.262-263
    {Quote_5}Let him go first: Ares is a democrat. There are no privileged men on a battlefield.
    {Author_5}Archilochos, Fr. 3 D.
    {Quote_6}And by a prudent flight and cunning save a life which valour could not, from the grave.
    {trans_6}A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again?
    {Author_6}Archilochos, Fr. 13 D.
    {Quote_7}Let who will boast their courage in the field, I find but little safety from my shield,
    {trans_7}Nature's, not honour's law we must obey: This made me cast my useless shield away.
    {Author_7}Archilochos, Fr. 13 D.
    {Quote_8}Shield against shield, keep the shield-wall tight. And the gift of death they bring, let no man take.
    {Author_8}Archilochos, Fr. 22 D.
    {Quote_9}Throw forward your chest to the enemy; Keep close in the attack; move back not an inch.
    {Author_9}Archilochos, Fr. 72 D.4-7
    {Quote_10}In war, out of hospitality, we leave them their dead as a gift to remember us by.
    {Author_10}Archilochos, Fr. 184 D.
    {Quote_11}Dead men cannot hear the peoples' praise. We strive instead, alive, to win honour from the living.
    {Author_11}Archilochos, Fr. 231 D.1-4

Also, as you can see, there are two quotes from Archilochos which are actually two wildly different adaptations of the same quote.
    Personally I'd propose this translation, as it seems both pleasant and close to the original text:
    "I don't give a damn if some Thracian ape strut, proud of that first-rate shield the bushes got.
    Leaving it was hell, but in a tricky spot. I kept my hide intact. Good shields can be bought."
    Nice! I was doing some similar stuff last night--adding in praenomen where appropriate, replacing bible verses with more modern translations, using stricter transliterations of names, etc. Do your changes show up on the loading screen? Mine don't seem to be reflected.

Default Re: Modding quotes

Quote Originally Posted by overthewater View Post
    Mine don't seem to be reflected.
    Don't forget to delete the corresponding .strings.bin file as it is this one the game actually uses. It should automatically generate new one from your edited .txt if the original is missing.