Thread: I'm visiting Iran, can anyone recommend places to visit related to ancient history?

Icon14 I'm visiting Iran, can anyone recommend places to visit related to ancient history?

Hello everyone, I have a bit of an odd question, so apologies if this isn't the right forum. I've posted this both on the Org as well as here, so feel free to remove this thread if that's against forum policy. I love EB and the Hellenistic period, and as it happens I'm planning a vacation to Iran soon. I'm sure there are some of you who are interested in the history of Persia, the Achaemenid Empire, Megas Alexandros, the Hellenistic states, the Parthians, the Sassanids, etcetera. I'll be staying there for a month, which means plenty of time to get my history fix and experience this country's completely different and exciting culture. The ruins of Persepolis are already on top of my to do list, but I'm wondering if any of you can recommend other interesting sights to see and places/events to visit.

I'll arrive in Teheran around March 28th, sadly just in time to miss the Noruz celebrations, but that can't be helped unfortunately. But Iran is a vast country with a lot to offer. I've already selected a few very cool destinations, but it's far from complete so I'd be super grateful for any suggestions or advice you can offer!

Default Re: I'm visiting Iran, can anyone recommend places to visit related to ancient history?

If you are brave enough to go to Iran, be sure to visit Bam, the ruins of Persepolis like you said, and maybe some of the museums in the country, i'm sure there are plenty.
    Last edited by DanTheMan97; January 23, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
    He's a lumberjack and he's okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day!

Default Re: I'm visiting Iran, can anyone recommend places to visit related to ancient history?

My first advice would be to ignore the post above mine, because it has nothing much to do with reality in Iran. The majority of Iranians are religiously indifferent, they welcome the foreigners even Americans and, of course, everyone is free to visit even the most isolated Zoroastrian shrine. You're only prohibited from visiting some mosques, but these are not related to what you're interested (ancient history). That's why I'll leave the medieval monuments and cities (like Isfahan and Bam) aside. First and foremost, you must visit Persepolis. In my opinion, it is the most magnificent archaeological site, which is to be expected, considering it is the ceremonial capital of first huge empire of history, that fortunately for the lovers of history, was not inhibited since her destruction from Alexander:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Your next destination should be Naqsh-e Rostam, again a magnificent archaeological site located near Persepolis, where you could see the tombs of several Achaemenid kings, as well as the famous rock reliefs of the Sassanid era, depicting the humiliation of Valerian by Ardashir.
    Then, we have Pasargadae, the first Persian capital, whose landmark is the Tomb of Cyrus II, the man who established the Achaemenid Empire. Also located close to Persepolis, since SW Iran was the ancient province of Persis, from where the Sassanids and the Achaemenids emerged.
    Basically, these the most famous and impressive ancient landmarks of Iran, but if you feel adventurous, I'd also suggest Susa, the capital of Elam and the Achaemenids, which has been excavated, but it's not as amazing as Persepolis. However, not many archaeological sites are comparable with Persepolis, are they? Finally, something a bit different. Iran is also famous for its qanat system, a brilliant way to redistribute water where it was needed. Qanat tunnels, dating back to pre-Achaemenid times could be visited in many modern cities, like Isfahan or Tehran, but if I were you, I would also pay a visit to the Kish island. Unfortunately, it gradually turns into a glamorous Las Vegas, the Dubai of Iran, but still not many know about its underground town:
    P.S. When I google Persepolis, all the results concern that mediocre film of Satrapi. Jesus, why people find the sexual frustrations of a rebel teen more enjoyable than the Persian ruins is beyond me.

Thank you Abdülmecid, fantastic post! I'll check out Naqsh-e Rostam and Pasargadae for sure. Susa seems really interesting as well, though it's a bit close to the Iraqi border (a lot of websites advise against traveling too close to it), but I might ask the local police or travel bureaus what they think about the situation. The pictures you posted look absolutely magnificent, I'm stoked to go already!

@DanTheMan97: Bam seems like a beautiful and interesting city even despite the 2003 earthquake damage, but it's close to Sistan and Balochistan Province, which is bandit country according to many websites. The UK government advices against Westerners traveling to Bam so I'm leaning towards skipping this destination.

EB2 gives you some nice suggestions. Those unique buildings some provinces have, they are probably very fun to visit and see irl (if they still exist today). Persepolis and the other stuff in persis is the obvious choices, but there's othet things in iran. I supoose it depends on how much you plan on travelling. I have heard ecbatana is nice.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

As an American I'd be a bit wary of visiting Iran unless attached to some official embassy, but if I did go I'd plan to see all the places mentioned by Abdulmecid and then after that the Sassanid-era castles like Falak-ol-Aflak (or in Persian: Dezbar, or Shapur-Khwast).

I'm sorry if I gave off a wrong vibe, I love Persian history, and the country itself, geographically and archaeologically is an amazing place. So yeah, Persepolis, Pasargadae, look into Zaranj as well, the capital of the Saffarid dynasty (900-ish AD)

So once again, sorry if i gave off the wrong impression, i'm only trying to give advice based off what I heard, and thank you @abdulmecid for correcting my apparent misinformation
    Last edited by DanTheMan97; January 24, 2016 at 04:05 AM.
    He's a lumberjack and he's okay, he sleeps all night and he works all day!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan97 View Post
    So once again, sorry if i gave off the wrong impression, i'm only trying to give advice based off what I heard, and thank you @abdulmecid for correcting my apparent misinformation
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended. Also my apologies, if I sounded too harsh or aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound_Of_Culann View Post
    Thank you Abdülmecid, fantastic post! I'll check out Naqsh-e Rostam and Pasargadae for sure. Susa seems really interesting as well, though it's a bit close to the Iraqi border (a lot of websites advise against traveling too close to it), but I might ask the local police or travel bureaus what they think about the situation. The pictures you posted look absolutely magnificent, I'm stoked to go already!
    Don't worry about Susa, southern Iraq is much safer than the northern part and not threatened by ISIL. Anyway, there was no spillover in Iran, so currently Susa is as safe as Stonehenge. The only parts of Iran that could be proven to dangerous for foreigners are Kurdistan, in the north-western extremities and mainly Balochistan, in SE, because of the existence of small terror groups there. But even in these places, tourist sites like the Bam citadel are safer than cities like Rio or Cairo. Also, in my previous post, I forgot to tell you about the Behistun inscription, a colossal inscription of Darius I, which is basically the official version of how Darius crushed the numerous revolts that followed the assassination of Gaumata and his ascension to the Achaemenid throne.
    It's a miracle of immense historical, cultural and linguistical (hadn't been for this trilingual inscription, our knowledge about the ancient Mesopotamian civilizations would have been much more limited) by Antiquity's standards and even the story of how it was first documented is also very interesting. It's located in western Iran, near Kermanshah.

EB2 sparked my interest in the Hyrkanian wall because it can be seen from space but no idea if it is easy to reach as a tourist, seems really far off from Teheran! I´m really envious by the way, it must be amazing to see all that heritage! Have a great trip!

I'd also like to see the Hyrkanian Wall, but like the Great Wall of China, with something only as wide as a single wall, I don't think it's actually visible from space. Cities look like small lit up dots when looking at Earth from outer space. What makes you think a single wall, no matter how long, would be visible? That's like saying you can see a trail of microscopic bacteria coursing up the side of your finger (I think only LSD would allow you to see that ). For instance, here's a pic of East Asia from outer space; are you honestly saying you can see something like the Great Wall of China from this distance? Maybe with a powerful telescope on board your space craft, but certainly not with the naked eye.

LOL @ North Korea compared to South Korea.

Back on topic: as an American, I might actually have to reconsider the whole fear of visiting Iran, because apparently Iran and the US are currently negotiating on establishing direct flights between each country, for the first time in 36 years.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/25/news...sm-us-flights/

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I don't think it's actually visible from space.
    Well don´t I feel silly now, I think my memory (and bad common sense) may have done me a disservice! I can however remember thinking "awesome" while reading the province description in the EB2 game, which is something that other mods do not have, so well done EB2 team!

I envy the OP because Persian women are the most lovely in the world.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=OI...istory&f=false
    Remarkable celebrated beauty.
    There's a ruin in Isfahan from 200 AD.
    "It is better to be in chains with friends , than to be in a garden with strangers." -Persian Proverb
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 27, 2016 at 05:23 PM.

I really, really would like to visit Bam one day.

On the same level, but in Turkmenistan, I would love to visit Old Nisa.

I found this forum page several years ago and I completed a lot of my travel projects (one day... I hope) with it :

http://www.anobanini.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 (some pages are empty, some links are dead, but you have a gold mine there)

I won't enter into the politics. Everyone is able to have it's own opinion about Iran through online advices and media. I would just say that I will, myself, travel alone. I don't want to have to worry about anything about my girlfriend, about the fact that we are not married but together notheless, etc.

There are several restrictions in hotels (hotels owners are fine, but they have to obey the law), and there was a time when you had to have wedding certificate to rent a room with someone. I don't know if it is still the case.

I wish not to worry about those things (I will not discuss the legitimity or not of those laws, Iran is a country, their laws, their country, their rules... if they want to change these, they are the one who will discuss about it, not me as a foreigner), but I will adapt and travel considering those.

It is foolish not to consider the laws of the country you visit. Even if you don't agree with those laws, law is law and a police officer is a law enforcement officer and the consequences are very real, as it would be in your own country.

Respect the country, respect the people, and you'll find a warm and unexpected welcome.

Khodafez !

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    I really, really would like to visit Bam one day.
    I too would like to visit Bam Margera.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I too would like to visit Bam Margera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fH28e5QI0

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but I've visited Iran now and made a little montage of what I filmed there. I mostly spent time around the big tourist cities of Teheran, Yazd, Isfahan and Shiraz. But I made side trips to the southern side of Hyrcania (Alamut Valley) and crossed the Araxes river (of Herodotan fame) valley on foot as well. Do you remember what the 'Hyrcania' map on RTW and EB1 looked like? The region totally looks like that map in real life! That said, the Iranians (or should I say Persians?) are the nicest, most friendly and hospitable people on the planet. I don't even need to visit the other countries, the contest is over!
    There was a museum where they had coins of EVERY dynasty that every ruled Persia, from Cyrus I to Alexander to Antigonus to the Safavids, all the way to the present day. I saw Cyrus' tomb, as well as glorious rock reliefs featuring Roman emperor Valerianus bound in chains, captured by the Great Shapur I. Not to mention the great ruins of Persepolis (although unfortunately my camera ran out of battery just when I reached the ruin... Curses! But the memories are great).

Hope you enjoy the montage!

Quote Originally Posted by Hound_Of_Culann View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but I've visited Iran now and made a little montage of what I filmed there. I mostly spent time around the big tourist cities of Teheran, Yazd, Isfahan and Shiraz. But I made side trips to the southern side of Hyrcania (Alamut Valley) and crossed the Araxes river (of Herodotan fame) valley on foot as well. Do you remember what the 'Hyrcania' map on RTW and EB1 looked like? The region totally looks like that map in real life! That said, the Iranians (or should I say Persians?) are the nicest, most friendly and hospitable people on the planet. I don't even need to visit the other countries, the contest is over!
    There was a museum where they had coins of EVERY dynasty that every ruled Persia, from Cyrus I to Alexander to Antigonus to the Safavids, all the way to the present day. I saw Cyrus' tomb, as well as glorious rock reliefs featuring Roman emperor Valerianus bound in chains, captured by the Great Shapur I. Not to mention the great ruins of Persepolis (although unfortunately my camera ran out of battery just when I reached the ruin... Curses! But the memories are great).

Hope you enjoy the montage!
    I''m happy you liked my country I just logged into these forums after roughly 5 or 6 years, i followed these forums regularly back when they announced EB2, however the release of that mod too so long i eventually moved on with my life and forgot all about this mod, until yesterday in the Latin class where I heard of the Latin Plural Genitive case for the first declination which is -arum and i immediately remembered the name Europa barbaroRUM xD.

I am happy to see the mod is finally released, and was going to download it when i saw this topic and i thought it was recent i hope you visit again, although unfortunately i myself don't live in Iran anymore .
    Last edited by Illidan1371; October 28, 2016 at 05:28 PM.