Page 33 of 66 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435363738394041424358 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Libertus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

I noticed that the campaign map for the Iberian Peninsula puts provinces in an odd way. Like, Léon region includes Braga city, which was part of Portugal, while Lusitânia includes Badajoz, which would become part of the Kingdom of Léon in 1230 and after that part of the Kingdom of Castille.

So, what I'm saying here is that the developers should, if possible, reorganize provinces in the Iberian Peninsula, in order to make it more accurate. Because, after the reconquest of all of what was part of the Kingdom of Portugal, it wont hold a whole region. Because it will be divided between the Léon region and Lusitânia, which also means that won't have the bonus associated with having a complete region. And the same aplies to the Kingdom of Léon.

Also, I noticed that the capital regions will be Braga and Badajoz. But in these regions it should be Léon (Léon region) and Lisbon (Lusitânia region).

Hadn't you asked this specific question in another thread?

Simply put, the modding tool does not enable modders to move settlements or change region borders. All we can do is renaming and assigning the regions to new factions.

If we can edit the campaignmap regions in the first place, then there should be Norway and Novgorod in the first place. But we can't.

hessam's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    you can tweak existing ones, but I honestly think with all the banners and all that it isn't going to be that much quicker. Adding a new one in ak is like 3-4 tables. 10-15 min for a dozen.
    I'll probably do that then. Faction creation isn't that hard really it just gets repetitious and boring after a while. Since this'll be my first time creating a brand new campaign, could you point out the essential tables for that besides "campaign" and "campaigns_campaign_variables_junctions"?

Also, have you ever tried changing a separatist faction to a normal starting one? Anything special or extra I should do with them?
    Last edited by hessam; November 03, 2016 at 07:55 AM.

hessam's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Hadn't you asked this specific question in another thread?

Simply put, the modding tool does not enable modders to move settlements or change region borders. All we can do is renaming and assigning the regions to new factions.

If we can edit the campaignmap regions in the first place, then there should be Norway and Novgorod in the first place. But we can't.
    Ain't that the dream?

Quote Originally Posted by hessam View Post
    I'll probably do that then. Faction creation isn't that hard really it just gets repetitious and boring after a while. Since this'll be my first time creating a brand new campaign, could you point out the essential tables for that besides "campaign" and "campaigns_campaign_variables_junctions"?

Also, have you ever tried changing a separatist faction to a normal starting one? Anything special or extra I should do with them?
    You don't. Just make sure they're not marked as rebels in 'factions' and they are not a civil war faction in 'factions_civil_war_setup'.

hessam's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post
    You don't. Just make sure they're not marked as rebels in 'factions' and they are not a civil war faction in 'factions_civil_war_setup'.
    Cool. I've recently started working on a Hundred Years War submod for Charlemagne map. Now I've learned that we can't add new factions to Charlemagne campaign. I was gonna create a brand new campaign so I could have as many factions as I wanted, but if I can add some of the separatists as normal factions, then I believe I'm set (I only need like 10 more factions right now).

That being said, which do you think is the better course? Create brand new campaign or tweak the factions in the existing one?

Cool. I've recently started working on a Hundred Years War submod for Charlemagne map. Now I've learned that we can't add new factions to Charlemagne campaign. I was gonna create a brand new campaign so I could have as many factions as I wanted, but if I can add some of the separatists as normal factions, then I believe I'm set (I only need like 10 more factions right now).

That being said, which do you think is the better course? Create brand new campaign or tweak the factions in the existing one?
    I've never tried to make a new campaign, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how easy or hard it is. I'm sure there's plenty of tables that need to be edited I've never bothered to look at. The main problem I see with editing AoC is simply that you're limited by the amount of factions. While you can swap some separatists into new factions, you're going to need to add some separatists for civil wars. I guess you can only work with 2 separatist factions though (like European separatists and Muslim separatists).

@You_Guess_Who
    But regarding Norway and Novgorod; could you at least add them from an aesthetical view? What I mean is, if you remove the fog on campaign map there´s a large area left (especially when it comes to Rus-Regions) but it´s ugly and empty without trees or hills. I think it wouldn´t be to difficult at least to make these regions look like a part of the map by using the campaign map editor, adding proper landscapes and just aesthetical placeholder-cities. (like in a mod for RII, would be cool for the whole map btw)
    I don´t know if it´s possible (don´t think so) but maybe armies could walk in this area if they would have an entrance to it - I mean it´s just an empty part of the map.
    They couldn´t conquer something, but you would at least have a feeling of a bigger map.

hessam's Avatar Miles

I've never tried to make a new campaign, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how easy or hard it is. I'm sure there's plenty of tables that need to be edited I've never bothered to look at. The main problem I see with editing AoC is simply that you're limited by the amount of factions. While you can swap some separatists into new factions, you're going to need to add some separatists for civil wars. I guess you can only work with 2 separatist factions though (like European separatists and Muslim separatists).
    So I can assign two separatist factions as civil war factions and change the rest to normal factions? Did I get that right or is it the other way around?

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Separatist factions aren't set as rebels. Only rebels are rebels.
    Just change faction to civil wars table to exclude the faction in question.
    For changed map it is a few tables you wouldn't think of. Like religious and all that stuff. Nothing hard but very repetetive and boring (and somewhat much) work. Pm me to remind me to list all and what to do, I will see when I am home.

How are you doing with the building system for your campaign?

So I can assign two separatist factions as civil war factions and change the rest to normal factions? Did I get that right or is it the other way around?
    The factions_civil_war_setup table essentially works as a question and answer to : if there is civil war/a separatist rebellion, which faction is used as separatists? So basically, the table lists all factions that are NOT separatists/rebels (if I recall correctly), and then you assign the faction you want to have as separatists. But you can assign the same faction as separatists for multiple factions, it will just limit the kind of unit/cultural diversity of separatists across the map.

hessam's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Separatist factions aren't set as rebels. Only rebels are rebels.
    Just change faction to civil wars table to exclude the faction in question.
    For changed map it is a few tables you wouldn't think of. Like religious and all that stuff. Nothing hard but very repetetive and boring (and somewhat much) work. Pm me to remind me to list all and what to do, I will see when I am home.

How are you doing with the building system for your campaign?
    Since I only need about 60 factions (which the 50 Charlemagne factions plus separatists will cover) I'm gonna stick to Charlemagne campaign and spare myself a ton of extra work. I haven't thought about a particular building system yet. I'm organizing starting regions right now. Next is family trees and then units. As far as ui and models are concerned, I'm using MKTW material so I can't get ahead of them in that sense.

hessam's Avatar Miles

The factions_civil_war_setup table essentially works as a question and answer to : if there is civil war/a separatist rebellion, which faction is used as separatists? So basically, the table lists all factions that are NOT separatists/rebels (if I recall correctly), and then you assign the faction you want to have as separatists. But you can assign the same faction as separatists for multiple factions, it will just limit the kind of unit/cultural diversity of separatists across the map.
    Got it. If I wanna base it on general cultures, then 3 or 4 separatists will be enough. Works for me. Thanks for the info.

nice work

Medieval total war attila version
    How do you make unit cards of this mode?
    Do you have the source?

Coxy's Avatar Miles

hi guys. Just heard about this mod via mod awards. Can I take it from this thread then that at the moment if I install this mod there is no campaign? 'just' custom battles?

Thanks

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

That is correct. For now only custom battles. We are working also on the campaign, though.

I note you have the Norwegian Armies listed as a faction and assigned at the very top of the map above Sweden as if to imply there existence in the game....will these be a playable faction? how is the unusable space at the top of the map used for such?

Also what 'briefly' is there still to cover for the campaign section of the game? is it nearing or still alot of work to complete?

If Denmark will be coming as a faction soon/eventually, I'd like to suggest that the island of Bornholm is included on the map (if nothing else for the sake of historical accuracy, as the island has been there since the end of the ice age), as it was quite important during the 13th century and forward (especially from 1350 to 1450) due to being home to the castle of Hammershus, the largest medieval fortification ever built in Scandinavia. Situated 74 metres (243 ft) above sea level and deemed almost unconquerable during that time.

Historians believe that the construction of the castle began prior to 1255 as a residence for King Valdemar Sejr (Valdemar II), functioning as a base from which to launch the Danish crusades against the pagans of the Baltics. It also served as a home to the archbishop of Lund later on. But no matter who controlled it, its chief function was as a natural fortress securing and restricting access to and from the Baltic sea.

The island of Bornholm itself is located between Denmark, Sweden and Poland, and is characterized by a varied topography consisting of dramatic rock formations in the north sloping down towards pine and deciduous forests and farmland in the middle, and sandy beaches in the south. In most Total War games it is either uninhabited or forgotten, but it seems a real shame to forget it completely. At least if the historical accuracy of the world map is a concern.

Any way you look at it, it is still a pretty significant piece of land, especially considering it had one of the biggest castles of the medieval era on it.
    Here is a satellite view of the island and its location in relation to the rest of northern Europe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Just for the sake of interest, a few images of the Hammershus castle, too. Both in its current condition and images of how it looked before it was abandoned to ruin.
    Quick warning: The last two images are pretty large but I didn't want to rescale and upload them elsewhere since then they'd end up broken links a month or two from now.

We can't edit the campaign map for Attila. We lack the tools.