Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    EDIT: There is one big issue on my mind - the Kingdom of Arles. At this point it is included as a vassal of France, which is:
    a) probably better for balance and to make France a viable faction
    b) totally not historical
    Arles was incorporated into the HRE in 11th century and the Emperors were crowned Kings of Arelat. Upper Burgundy (the parts with Dijon) came under French influence early enough to warrant Burgundy as a vassal of France from the game start, but the rest of Arles remained in Imperial hands until much later. The earliest (within the mod's time frame) territorial change is the cession of Provence to the house of Anjou in 1246, and other parts - such as Lyon and Dauphine - only were incorporated to France in mid-14th century. There are three ways I think:
    1) keep Arles as a vassal of France for game balance
    2) make Arles a vassal of the HRE, but with "same blood"/confederation trait as France
    3) break Arles up into Provence and Dauphine - Provence a vassal of France, Dauphine a vassal of the HRE. This would necessitate the change of the name of the city of Lyon to Vienne or Grenoble. (or to rename Dauphine into Lyonnais, but I'm probably too lazy to make a new faction symbol)

I don't know, maybe I'm just stirring it unnecessarily, but it bothers me to no end.

Also, should Flanders start as a vassal of France?
    Yeah, it is a bit ahistorical to have Arles as a vassal of France.

Maybe just make Arles a military ally of France and the HRE? It was arguably autonomous enough not to be a vassal of either at the time. That way France should still gain the support of Arles in any conflict.

I don't think Flanders should be a vassal of France - there was influence there but no direct control.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Does anyone has some good articles about so called mini ice age? I remember that last year during classes with my students, I got scorned by my suprevisor for referring to better climate in Poland in XI century, he said that overal climate change in medieval is exaggarated and should be only used for post medieval centuries.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    So for the long term events maybe a -1 fertility to Europe around the early 1300s to reflect the mini ice age
    Why would it be limited to Europe?
    It was a global phenomenon.

Also, I personally believe that the effects of it, while significant, are exaggerated, especially for the 14th-15th centuries, the European population was still growing regardless and went up to 83 million by the 1450s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    Why would it be limited to Europe?
    It was a global phenomenon.

Also, I personally believe that the effects of it, while significant, are exaggerated, especially for the 14th-15th centuries, the European population was still growing regardless and went up to 83 million by the 1450s.
    Because Europe is the part reported as having the greatest consistent negative impact on fertility. 1300 is recorded as being around the time warm summers stopped being dependable in Northern Europe, thus impacting crop growth, and the great famine of 1315-17 was broadly contained to Europe.

Whilst there was cooling in the Magreb, Anatolia and the Levant, this would be less likely to affect fertility, as they are so warm that crops and grazing would still grow at a lower temperature. If anything, an argument could be made to increase fertility in some parts of Africa, such as the eastern edge of Africa which became more wet as a result of the Ice Age:

http://hol.sagepub.com/content/17/2/183.abstract

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Well many reports, including the one you provided, state horrific, decades long droughts in the rest of Africa.

Can't find anything about the Middle East though.

is there now a campaign version of this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    Well many reports, including the one you provided, state horrific, decades long droughts in the rest of Africa.

Can't find anything about the Middle East though.
    True, but those parts of Africa are largely those not included in the mod - Uganda would be too far east and west for inclusion in Ethiopia. I can't find anything definitive for the Middle East or the Magreb, which is why I proposed leaving those regions untouched if possible. Ditto the rest of Asia if we can't find any evidence of a general shift in fertility.

1) keep Arles as a vassal of France for game balance
    2) make Arles a vassal of the HRE, but with "same blood"/confederation trait as France
    3) break Arles up into Provence and Dauphine - Provence a vassal of France, Dauphine a vassal of the HRE. This would necessitate the change of the name of the city of Lyon to Vienne or Grenoble. (or to rename Dauphine into Lyonnais, but I'm probably too lazy to make a new faction symbol)

I don't know, maybe I'm just stirring it unnecessarily, but it bothers me to no end.
    I prefere the 3), but the 2) is better than 1).

Raimond-Béranger IV/V as well supported Louis VIII against his rival the count of Toulouse(himself supported by Aragoneses who had sequestrated R-B IV/V when he was a child ), but he was still tied to Empire, and sent as well some knights for an imperial army(in Italy). I don't remember if he participated himself, I will check later.

Just wanted to means 2) is better, but in the case the modders can...splitting Arles and make of Dauphiné du Viennois and Provence both imperial vassals is the best. Ofc its quite a secondary matter and I'm not expecting that for a first release.

Keep the good work.

btw, I post here the abstract of "Raymond-Bérenger V, the invention of Provence", I don't know if its have been translated in english. I have it in french.

Open the spoiler(the abstract have been translated by this site... http://telemme.mmsh.univ-aix.fr/pub/..._Provence.html )
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Abstract
    The reign of the count of Provence Raymond Bérenger V signifies the end of the process of territorial construction, which brought coherence to all its possessions. First “count of Provence and Forcalquier” after succeeding his parents, Raymond Bérenger V comes to power in 1216 after a period of exile in Aragon, with the backing of the bishops and a sector of the aristocracy that had remained hostile to the count of Toulouse. Meanwhile, the Midi went through a deep crisis after the loss of Peire II of Aragon in 1213, his son Jaime II being too young for immediate succession and the Capetian intervention in the Albigean Crusade taking place. The count of Provence is able not only to insure the monarchical and customary continuity of his Catalan dynasty but also to emancipate himself from his dynastic ties and from the German Empire. At the same time, he initiated a rapprochement with Popes Gregory IX and Innocent IV. He took his land back by force and organized its administration. Thanks to an entourage composed of lawyers and experts, as well as to the financial help of loyal bishops, he exercised a skillful diplomacy that involved the marriages of his daughters to the King of France Louis IX and his rival, Henry III of England. When Raymond Bérenger V died, the size of his properties and county income are therefore substantial. The count’s realm of power is being imposed upon the aristocracy, cities and subjects. The first Angevine will be able to complete this work and will find in Provence the main resources needed for the conquest of the Kingdom of Sicily and beyond. The major weakness of Raymond Bérenger’s reign, however, remains the inability to forge a lasting dynasty in Provence. The lack of a male heir weakened the political construction he initiated. During this process, Provence saw the beginnings of an administrative, political, and territorial identity. However, his successor and son-in-law Charles of Anjou restored the peripheral status of Provence when he became King of Sicily in 1265.

Last edited by VINC.XXIII; January 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Does anyone has some good articles about so called mini ice age? I remember that last year during classes with my students, I got scorned by my suprevisor for referring to better climate in Poland in XI century, he said that overal climate change in medieval is exaggarated and should be only used for post medieval centuries.
    There are many links that I could pull up that you may have found and already viewed as I am not very knowledgeable in that particular topic as you are.

I'll see if there is an article from the "trusted" school sources that you might be able to look at. I have a friend that recommended a Medieval radio site that would most likely discuss or host an article that goes into depth of the impact of the Little Ice Age.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Also Can you Add in Philippopolis in Thrace instead of Catholic minority give it Bogolilism minority to represent the Tondrakians and the Paulicianism in the Area. Those minorities lasted until the 16-17th century.

In Philipopol relatively peaceful first pass (1096) and the Second Crusade (1149), as the city was formed Latin Quarter with Western traders and craftsmen. In the Third Crusade in 1189 the garrison and many residents abandoned the city and it was conquered and plundered by the troops of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, who remained there for six months.

You can add also the Duchy of Philippopolis as rebel Faction. to represent the Latin culture in the region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Philippopolis
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4...de_gueules.svg - factional emblem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tondrakians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulicianism

And for Arles I would go for

1)keep Arles as a vassal of France for game balance and but with "same blood"/confederation trait as HRE

or

2)break Arles up into Provence and Dauphine - Provence a vassal of France, Dauphine a vassal of the HRE.But more for this 1.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; January 25, 2016 at 03:31 PM.

Hi, here are some of my suggestions...

1.) The capital of Cilicia should be Sis, not Tarsus.

2.) It would be nice if you change the rebels in Cilicia from "Turkish" to "Armenian" or at least "Greek" (something Christian please).

3.) Here is another suggestion, change the faction icon of the emergent Armenian faction to something more simple like this...

(this but without the grapes and leaves from the original one, that would be nice).

It's a smaller Armenian cross and is perfect for the emergent faction icon I think.

Updated to research version 1.6:

- Settlements: renamed Tarsus to Sis (capital of Cilician Armenia)
    - Starting factions: split Arles into Dauphine and Provence, both vassals of the Holy Roman Empire, but with the idea to have good relations with France and the ability to confederate ("same blood" trait). More historical.
    - Emergent factions: removed Dauphine; changed Benevento into Kingdom of Naples; added the Kingdom of Majorca and County of Holstein; added four Turkish beyliks to Anatolia; minor spelling change to Ak Koyunlu and Kara Koyunlu;
    - Rebel factions: minor regional assignment changes; introduced Bulgarian rebels to break up a Balkan rebel blob; renames: Lowlander to Lower German rebels, German to Upper German rebels, Slavic to West Slavic rebels, Balkan to South Slavic rebels.

That's it for now. Fertility map should come next, although it will be similar to vanilla grand campaign. Religion map changes and research will take some time, especially because it seems that religion is assigned per-province and not per-region, so I will need to assess things like presence of multiple minorities in a province and background religious influence ("local traditions" in base campaign).

No I have been reading about Crete and Rhodes and Im Finding that Venice Didn't Controlled Rhodes ,but it was semi-independent state vassal to Nicaea.So my proposal is Give the Island to Nicaea.This Will also Help Nicaea in balancing the situation vs the Latin empire and the Sultanate of Rum and as we know the Venice CAI wont be able to defend the region well because they will be too stretched thin to guard their 2 pairs of 2 regions.And the Greek faction CAI will manage to defend it because its close to their starting regions. The region was held until 1258 when Genoa took it and the Romans retook it in 1260.In 1309 Rhodes was finally was taken from the Knights Hospitallers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Gabalas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gabalas

And for Creete give them the Emergent faction as rebels Duchy/Kingdom of Candia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Candia

You can give Candia the Emblem of the Duchy of the Archipelago (if you cant find one)that was vassal to the Latin empire but there is no region to give that faction to be on the campaign map.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Armoiries_Naxos.svg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_the_Archipelago

Its odd when you see Venice rebel faction in Crete in the Campaign where in fact there were 14 Greek rebellions vs Venice and in the final 1 even the Italian colonists rebelled vs the Mother city.So this will fix the problem also.Or you can make Candia even on the Campaign map starting faction but vassal to Venice.This Will also help te Venice CAI to manage itself and dont be attacked by 10 other factions in the Balkans,in Italy vs HRE and in Asia Minor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Candia

And to comment on the subject of of the new update.

1)Now HRE have to get a lot of bad Vassals so the HRE factions dont Become the Sassanid Hydra in the vanilla Attila with its vassals.. And a lot. Now if thee is somekind of Diplomatic hate herfing of HRE Hungary,Poland England and France wont be Able to beat HRE even if they are united.

2) You remember the 30 long post to what Faction the Nish/Bdin region in the Balkans was debated to whom to go -Srbia,Bulgaria or Hungary?
    Now that there is Bulgarian rebels faction you can make the region instead of South Slavic rebels. Region was Part of the Bulgarian ethnic land until 1878 (Both Nish and Bdin/Vidin parts ) after the Russo-Turkish War (1877–78) and Nish was given to Serbia and Vidin to Bulgaria.And From then on it slowly became Serbian in the XX century.This is I think the best middle ground between the Serbs and Bulgarians. We got Serbs controlling the region and Emergent the main Serbian faction as rebels and Bulgarian rebels also.

3)Religion is shown in game assigned per-province uniting the Ratios of the religions in each region and not per-region only or per-province only.You got Tables in the assembly kit where you can give different Values for each region in the same province.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; January 26, 2016 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    So my proposal is Give the Island to Nicaea.
    That's a nice idea. Rhodes felt far-fetched as a Venitian holding to me, but I kept it due to habit.

And for Creete give them the Emergent faction as rebels Duchy/Kingdom of Candia
    Also a good idea. That is funny, because I was reading about those today (Candia, Duchy of the Archipelago etc.), but didn't add them. But it's likely the last emergent faction I want to add, it's already a lot of factions to make...

1)Now HRE have to get a lot of bad Vassals so the HRE factions dont Become the Sassanid Hydra in the vanilla Attila with its vassals.. And a lot. Now if thee is somekind of Diplomatic hate herfing of HRE Hungary,Poland England and France wont be Able to beat HRE even if they are united.
    I think it's safe to assume that all vassals south of the Alps will have very bad relations with the HRE, so they will probably decline the first call to arms or break off very fast. The southern vassals could instead only be defensive-allied, and only the ones north of the Alps would be proper vassals. I also recall Warman saying something about setting the diplomacy in a way that would make the vassals more independent, so when they declare war on each other inside of the Empire, it doesn't trigger a continental war or something.

What I want to do is first see what kinds of relations factions had historically, and then adjust this data to game balance. In the case of the HRE, balance will have to be over total accuracy I think.

2) You remember the 30 long post to what Faction the Nish/Bdin region in the Balkans was debated to whom to go -Srbia,Bulgaria or Hungary?
    Now that there is Bulgarian rebels faction you can make the region instead of South Slavic rebels.
    Alright, makes sense. It's good that you can set the "core" faction and rebel faction separately in a region. So Serbia could possibly have a "core" in Belgrade as well, even though it's controlled by Hungary at the game start.

3)Religion is shown in game assigned per-province uniting the Ratios of the religions in each region and not per-region only or per-province only.You got Tables in the assembly kit where you can give different Values for each region in the same province.
    Thanks - I'm not a startpos modder and I only glanced on a few things in the startpos file so far, still learning what means what. But it's certain I'll have to go into detail with all the religions in all regions sooner or later.

well I think the tributary states/factions as gameplay in Vannila Attila Fits the most for HRE.They can even Start waging war at each tributary state or other Factions. Also pls Dont give all tributary states of HRE between themselfs to start with non-agretion pacts,military access and trading.This Way you Got something like + 200 positive diplomatic relationships between them all.

For Everything Else in the Campaign - Vassals. For Poland Area Im not an expert how it was the situation.

For all its 850-year existence, the Holy Roman Empire remains hierarchical state entity of feudal type. HRE never managed to acquire the character of a nation-state like England or France, and never reaches high centralised power. The Empire is neither a federation nor a confederation, in the modern sense of the words, and for a long time combines elements of both forms of government. The composition of the empire is characterized by variety: large semi-independent Electorateя and duchies, principalities, counties and bishoprics, free cities, small abbeys and minor knight possessions - all they are the subjects of the empire, having different rights. The power of the emperor never reaches absolutism, and is tied with the highest aristocracy. Moreover, unlike other European countries, the inhabitants of the empire are not directly subject to the emperor, and its own ruler - secular or religious, knight or magistrate. This forms two levels of government in the country: Imperial and territorial - often contradict each other.

Each subject of the empire, especially strong countries like Austria, Prussia and Bavaria, has a large degree of autonomy in its internal affairs and certain prerogatives in foreign policy. However, the rule of state power remains an attribute of the empire and the provisions of the imperial institutions and norms of imperial law are binding (although sometimes only in theory) for all constituent state formations. For the Roman Empire was characterized by the specific role of the church, which gives the empire elements of a theocracy, though this is the first public body in Europe after the Reformation provides long peaceful existence of several religions in the country.

The development of the Roman Empire was in a constant struggle between the tendencies of disintegration and integration. The first is expressed by the larger territorial formations, gradually acquiring the character of sovereign states who seek to free themselves from the power of the Emperour and time consolidating the main factors are the imperial throne, the imperial offices and institutions (the Reichstag, the imperial court system legislative bans on the use of military force to resolve conflicts between rulers), the Catholic Church, the German national identity and imperial patriotism (German: Reichspatriotismus), rooted in the social consciousness of loyalty to the empire and the emperor as its High Representative (but not as a representative of a particular dynasty).
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; January 26, 2016 at 04:11 PM.

I agree with the tributary state system for the HRE, so at least their subjects have diplomatic options. As for diplomatic relations, I would only look into things like basic alliances, vassalage and opinion values, and leave all the trade routes and non-aggression pacts blank, so the player has the choice with whom he wants to do what. So if the HRE is composed of tributary states and maybe a handful of closer client/vassal states (elector duchies most likely?), then it should all be okay. Over the course of the campaign it would be very likely that many tributary states would break off, but some would very likely stay. If anything, Italy should have the worst relations with the HRE so they become independent early on.

As for Poland, the situation was pretty weird. After the kingdom fractured in 1138, there was a "senior duchy" established in the in-game region of Lesser Poland, where the eldest male member of the Piast dynasty would rule, and he would oversee the other duchies (Greater Poland, Silesia and Pomerania). Reality has shown that the duchies were pretty much independent of each other, and the rule of the Senior Duke was illusory. This held true in regards to Silesia that gravitated towards the HRE as time passed by, and especially when Przemysł II of Greater Poland was crowned king of Poland in 1295 - even though he only held a fraction of Polish lands. In 1212 the playable faction will be Lesser Poland (because of Kraków being regarded as the capital of all Polish lands), with good relations and at least defensive alliances with the three other duchies (Greater Poland, Silesia and Pomerania). They should have "same blood" trait and shared culture type so they can confederate, but should be free to break off.

Anyway, I applied your ideas to the maps, so updated:
    - Starting factions: Rhodes transferred to Nicaea
    - Emergent: added Duchy/Kingdom of Candia to Crete
    - Rebel: region of Nis will have Bulgarian rebels.

I don't foresee changes to those maps for a while, hope they stay like that. Things seem to be balanced between accuracy and gameplay, only the HRE situation will need careful handling.

I think it's safe to assume that all vassals south of the Alps will have very bad relations with the HRE, so they will probably decline the first call to arms or break off very fast. The southern vassals could instead only be defensive-allied, and only the ones north of the Alps would be proper vassals. I also recall Warman saying something about setting the diplomacy in a way that would make the vassals more independent, so when they declare war on each other inside of the Empire, it doesn't trigger a continental war or something.

What I want to do is first see what kinds of relations factions had historically, and then adjust this data to game balance. In the case of the HRE, balance will have to be over total accuracy I think.
    Perhaps the best way to represent the HRE historically and in a balanced manner would be to ensure that vassals can refuse to join wars without having to declare war on the HRE and loyal vassals.

After all, plenty of the members of the HRE were often able to refuse imperial calls to war without immediately being invaded by their neighbours, and the emperor was frequently force to either accept their independence or choose to initiate hostilities with them himself.

Ideally there would be a situation where when the HRE enters a war its vassals have four choices. They can join the war or declare war on the rest of the HRE as in vanilla. But they can also choose to refuse to fight but remain in the HRE or try to peacefully leave the HRE. Vassals that refuse to fight will then need to be persuaded to join the war with diplomacy in the usual manner.

Also vassals should just be able to leave the HRE at will without initiating their own war, and the remaining vassals should be unlikely to join any attempt by the central empire to subjugate these states.

As part of the process of leaving the HRE, states with good relations could get mutual military alliances, like the Lombard League, to resist the loyal imperial forces. Also one state choosing to leave or declare war on the HRE should increase the chance of neighbouring states doing the same, forming blocs within the empire.

I think if that can be implemented on some level then it would make the HRE a very unique and interesting play. Just like the emperors of the time the player would need to balance keeping the empire together with pursuing their foreign policy, and have to choose how strongly they attempt to exert the imperial will over their domains based on the other concerns they have.

It would also match the situation at the time - most of the medieval emperors spent half their time exerting the imperial authority to unite the empire to fight an external war, only to have the war immediately interrupted by domestic trouble.

Libertus

Just wanted to give you my input, to help with the research.

Starting date of this mod is 1212 and in that time ruler of Serbia was Stefan Prvovencani of Nemanjica dynasty. In regards to Serbian Regions.

Nish should be under control of Bulgarians, Serbs had it for a short while during the role of Stefans father and then they lost it and we have not regained it till late 14th century.

Belgrade should also not be ours, only later under the rule of Uros the Great have we regained Macva ( Region between Danube river and Sava river ) and Belgrade from the Hungarians. So Hungary should have Belgrade at the starting period.

Serbia should have control over Rash (Rashka ). That is our foothold since the formation of our country. Croatia should be on the border with us and Bosnia.

Here is a link to the Map, even though it is in my language you can clearly understand the names. There are Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia, and this is the map during the end of the 12th century and till 1224. Of course Nish is in our control but that is debatable.

Half of Ragusa should be Croatian and the other half Serbian. While the region above ragusa, which is Croatian in your map, should be added to Bosnians.

Now i know you have a limited numbe4 of provinces and etc so you can leave your map as it is. Its looking good and will work good too, gameplay wise. I like it, but only concern is Bosnians and Ragusa region.

Hope you read it all and thank you for that. If you need anything related to research towards the Balkans feel free to ask. Also as a note, make Croatia and Serbia be at Hostile ( not War but really unfriendly ) terms at the beginning. Rivarly and hate is still going strong even today, if not even stronger.

Yellow is Bosnia, Green is Croatia, Red is Serbia, above Serba and to the Right of Bosnia is Hungary and Dark Grey is Byzantine. This is the best map i could find.
    Last edited by Ghost9489; January 27, 2016 at 03:40 AM.

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

Ghost. It is already decided. Balkan map stays like it is. In 1212 Nish was taken by Serbs when Strez rebeled against Bulgarians. It will be retaken by Bulgarians but in 1212 it was contoled by Serbs. And Serbia will be too weak and Bulgaria to strong if Nish given to Bulgarian faction. I already showed the map but that is in vain because provinces cannot be remade as you wish. So only names and owners can be changed.

Libertus

Yea, i figured that provinces can not be changed, CA has locked pretty much of campaing map editing.

Thanks for the answer. Just wanted to give my input, but as long as there is Serbia in there, i am happy. Looking forward to playing as us for once.

Hvala na odgovoru, steta sto bosanaca nece biti