Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    Zadar rebelled and was later sacked by crusaders. After that it was settled by even more Croats.

So
    utter nonsense.

Yes, utter nonsense, since if Zadar was again settled by Croats from the surrounding areas, that means that Croats inhabited the surrounding areas.

On another account Roman citizens defeated Croat duke that was appointed to rule in Split, simply because he was Croatian - u can read about it more in Thomas the Archdeacon works.
    That is a straw man of a special kind of straw.

Thomas is famous for making stuff up and for his own disdain towards the inland nobility, apart from that, his account is not even a description from the same period.

Split had plenty of Croatian dukes who ruled the city without issue, in fact, during this very mods start date, Split is being ruled by the Croatian noble family formerly known as Snacic and known in the future as Nelipic.

Anyway by by your account Aquileia region should be given to Austria since Slavs and Lombards who occupied wast majority of this region there were pretty much all Austrian subjects? Even many big important coastal cities were Austrian. Why have Venice at all - seriously?
    So you are putting a magraviate/march/duchy in the same league of importance as a kingdom?
    Last edited by +Marius+; February 18, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Will Crusades in this mode?

5. 6. 7. 8. 9. crusades!

Since Croatia vs. Venice discussion is kind of pointless, I allow myself to divert it and turn it into a religious flame war.

Updated the religion map:
    - minor changes to existing minorities (Christians in Tunis, Bogomils in Philippopolis/Plovdiv)
    - introduced Oriental Orthodoxy that represents the Coptic, Ethiopian and Armenian churches
    - introduced Zoroastrian remnant in the regions of Yazd, Kerman and Makran - the latter is a hint at a Zoroastrian community in Gujarat. Minority between 5%-10%, with Yazd having 15%.
    - placed stars to represent larger Jewish communities - up to 10%. Surrounding areas could have 5% Jewish minority.

Keep in mind that the minority percentages are exaggerated - this is to allow those religions to survive for a while, and sometimes to allow a player to convert to a desired religion. Also there can be multiple minorities within a region, but I did not want to make the map more confusing than it already is. I'll be keeping the exact percentages in a spreadsheet, for inside use by the team.

Feedback is welcome. I tried to represent the Jewish presence at least somewhat faithfully to reality, even though the communities might have been decimated by the mod's starting date - like communities in Constantinople, Thessalonica or the Almohad Caliphate. But there is still room for improvement, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by +Marius+ View Post
    that means that Croats inhabited the surrounding areas.
    nice, u figured it out i see

Thomas is famous for making stuff up and for his own disdain towards the inland nobility, apart from that, his account is not even a description from the same period.
    utter nonsense, Thomas writing goes as far as 1266AD so he definitely writes in the right time-frame,

also he was of "Roman" descendancy and naturally he saw the Croats and Hungarians as invaders destroying city community and autonomy, also he didn't fear writing about them this way which goes to show that Croats still hadn't had a strong control over these lands let alone cities and even less so in high society of this region.

So you are putting a magraviate/march/duchy in the same league of importance as a kingdom?
    and you are putting a weak non-independent kingdom which is kingdom only in name on the same level or even higher than Republic of Venice? There were dozens of duchies over Europe which were practically independent and many times more powerful and yet we don't have them on the map.

I really wonder why is this petty kingdom on the map at all - it could be easily included in Kingdom of Hungary, and be done with this nonsense. It would also improve overall standing and power of factions in this region - for the game.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    - introduced Zoroastrian remnant in the regions of Yazd, Kerman and Makran - the latter is a hint at a Zoroastrian community in Gujarat. Minority between 5%-10%, with Yazd having 15%.
    Should probably have a sizeable minority (no more than Yazd realistically) of Zoroastrians in Nishapur and Herat areas as Balkh was still a beacon of Zoroastrianism at the time, I believe.

Also, probably off-topic, are there any plans to look into a Timurid event?

nice, u figured it out i see
    No, you failed to notice what that implies,

Considering that I already proved through sources that both Zadar and the surrounding islands were already Slavic decades before the sack of Zadar, the fact that the Slavic populace from the surrounding area moved again to Zadar after the sack states that there was no Romanic population to be seen anywhere.

Especially considering that the closest major port city of Sibenik was not only Croat but founded by Croats and that Bribir was a crown city of the kingdom of Croatia.

utter nonsense, Thomas writing goes as far as 1266AD so he definitely writes in the right time-frame,
    Irrelevant, what matters is the dating of the events that you state as an argument, which happened earlier.

Thomas writes about Romans from Salona massively emigrating from the coastline and in the very next chapter describes those who remained in Split as trading, dealing and specifically intermarrying with surrounding Slavs.

These events were a description of something that started already in the 7th century.

also he was of "Roman" descendancy and naturally he saw the Croats and Hungarians as invaders destroying city community and autonomy, also he didn't fear writing about them this way which goes to show that Croats still hadn't had a strong control over these lands let alone cities and even less so in high society of this region.
    Nonsense, he writes very positively on the actions of Croatian kings and only goes on a negative parade once the kingdom enters the personal union and the nobles slowly start becoming magnates.

This has nothing to do with ethnical background or some proto-nationalism, he describes the Romanic citizens of Trogir in their conflicts with Split in the same manner, as well as Venetians(especially when they raze Biograd to the ground).

To state that Croats still hadn't had a strong control is laughable, it could be perhaps stated for the population of the very inner city, but everything beyond that was under absolute control of local Slavic lords.

Split had a swarm of appointed Slavic dukes that ruled with absolute impunity in Split until it finally became a part of Venice in 1411.

and you are putting a weak non-independent kingdom which is kingdom only in name on the same level or even higher than Republic of Venice?
    Nope.

There were dozens of duchies over Europe which were practically independent and many times more powerful and yet we don't have them on the map.
    Tough stuff.

I really wonder why is this petty kingdom on the map at all - it could be easily included in Kingdom of Hungary, and be done with this nonsense.
    I would have absolutely no issues with that at all, providing that Croatia(Split settlement) goes to Hungary as well.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

people have issue with Croatia
    You call other people's view utter nonsense, while you show no humility on your own part. Those are not good qualities to bring to a discussion on history.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

No, you failed to notice what that implies,

Considering that I already proved through sources that both Zadar and the surrounding islands were already Slavic decades before the sack of Zadar, the fact that the Slavic populace from the surrounding area moved again to Zadar after the sack states that there was no Romanic population to be seen anywhere.

Especially considering that the closest major port city of Sibenik was not only Croat but founded by Croats and that Bribir was a crown city of the kingdom of Croatia.
    Bribir - a pinnacle of Croatian culture; a city that had 5 streets where millions of highly cultured Croats lived and spread their influence throughout Dalmatia

Irrelevant, what matters is the dating of the events that you state as an argument, which happened earlier.

Thomas writes about Romans from Salona massively emigrating from the coastline and in the very next chapter describes those who remained in Split as trading, dealing and specifically intermarrying with surrounding Slavs.
    Ye there were only Roman girls remaining in Salona and all married Croats, and all this took exactly 1 generation, mhh, must be true

These events were a description of something that started already in the 7th century.
    massive emigration of Romans since 7th century - wow there must have been tens of millions there

To state that Croats still hadn't had a strong control is laughable, it could be perhaps stated for the population of the very inner city, but everything beyond that was under absolute control of local Slavic lords.
    and countryside was so massively populated in those times, Dalmatia really is known for its wast fields and meadows, rivers with fresh water etc.

Tough stuff.
    Whats next, "Hrvatska do Tokia"?

We all know how that one ended...
    Last edited by Fanest; February 18, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    You call other people's view utter nonsense, while you show no humility on your own part. Those are not good qualities to bring to a discussion on history.

~Wille
    How about not quoting people out of context in order to banter them Wille?

Bribir
    Ah, I meant Biograd.

Silly mistake.

- a pinnacle of Croatian culture; a city that had 5 streets where millions of highly cultured Croats lived and spread their influence throughout Dalmatia
    Someone is getting a little squiggly.

Ye there were only Roman girls remaining in Salona and all married Croats
    Considering that there were far more Slavs than Romans, it is very easy to understand what happened in the long term.

Not that complicated of a concept to figure out.

and all this took exactly 1 generation, mhh, must be true
    As stated already, this already started in the 7th century, so by the time of this mod we are talking about over 500 years.

massive emigration of Romans since 7th century - wow there must have been tens of millions there
    If 900 of 1000 leave, than the overall scope of it is not really the issue.

and countryside was so massively populated in those times, Dalmatia really is known for its wast fields and meadows, rivers with fresh water etc.
    Actually it was relatively densely populated.

Whats next, "Hrvatska do Tokia"?

We all know how that one ended...
    You are so cute;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

The moment you realize you can no longer pursue this, you insinuate nationalism.

Yet you completely failed to realize my actual agenda.

I do not care about Croatia ingame, I do not even care if it remains as a faction ingame(as I never play with it anyway), all I care about is Venice not having that province.

The entire thing could be Hungary/Bosnia/Serbia for all I care, just not Venice.
    Last edited by +Marius+; February 18, 2016 at 09:23 PM.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

STOP THE irrelevant posts about the Balkans Jan said.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Why didn't you point it all out earlier? It's all becoming a joke that after I announce it's the "final" version a million unhappy people spring out, even though they were happy before.

Alright, alright, I'll remove the Banu Ghaniya just so you stop talking about it.
    I'll remove the Ahmadilis and give the region to Azerbaijan. Give Hormuz to Salghurids.
    Rasulids are staying to represent Yemen. A decade doesn't make a difference in such a remote region.
    I wont' introduce that Minkly guy.

But after that stop with suggestions. All will be disregarded, no are going to be done. Venice vs. Croatia dispute is irrelevant until the campaign is actually done and balance can be tested.
    I just found about Ahmadilies yesterday and I noticed Hormuz the day b4 that . and I think I pointed about most of those stuff b4 lol.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Wallachia I think is justified, but what about Moldavia? I am genuinely green in that matter, but I wouldn't want to include the factions there as starting ones if they didn't have some sort of self-governance at that point in time. If anything, I wouldn't add Moldavia as Bulgarian vassal, but I would definitely do so with Wallachia - just to represent that Bulgarians had some sort of influence north of the Danube, but without overextending their reach. If I add Moldavia, then as a Cuman client state to keep the impression that they travelled very far west.

Adding Wallachia will also tingle my personal preference, as I would love Wallachia to be playable n the future. :p

And this is probably the point about the Cumans not being able to hold everything at the game start - it could be the mod's Western Rome, with the player forced to make sacrifices in order to survive.
    About Moldavia the Brodnics where 6,000 string troops of mixed Vlach and Slavs from Halych, servers of Brodnic, the cousin of the ruler of Halych, that ran south and joined the Cumans after a failed try to take over the rule of Halych. Together with Ploscanea, their leader they fought for the Cuman-Rus alliance of Cumans and Brodnics, Kievans, Chernigovans and their vassals, mainly Vladimir-Suzdal, Kursk and Gallicia-Volhynia. After the Cumans were crushed Ploscanwa and the Brodnics joined the Mongols and the leader of Kiev and his 10,000 strong army after being besieged when retreating in a stringhold gave up after Ploscanea promised them safe passage to their home. The Mongol leader instead beheaded the leader and sloughtered many of his troops, tge rest being sold into slavery. Most likely many of the Pechebeg and Oghuz vassals of the Cumans joined the Mongol horde as well. The Bolovoveni joined the Hungarians against Halych just before the Mongol invasion of Hungary. The only loyal subjects of Halych were the Berladnics living in southern Moldavia, at the border with the Cumans. Some living in Borzenland where replaced by the Teutones and the German migrants in the name of the criwn of Hungaria. I will do further research about the rest of the factions from Moldavia.

Other factions are Onut, Strasinet and Tara Romanilor in the north. I only know that the leader of Onit was an ally of Gallicia and during the Cuman invasion took refuge in Lvov. In 1285 Vladislav of Transylvania faced the second Tartar-Mongol invasion and asked the pope to send reinforcements but because they were late or not comming made use of the Orthodox troops of Dragos from Maramures that was given the right to create a mark in Moldavia and govern it in the name of Hungary as a decensive front against future nomad invasions. During this time the Jassy of around modern Iasi, former capital of Medieval Moldavia migrated together with the Cumans in Hungary and joied the army as heavy cavalry and horse archers. The Jazzy where the remnants of the Alans. The mark of Dragos was situated in north-west. He was later replaced by Bogdan from Maramures that took over the mark and proclaimed independence defeating the Hungarians sent to punish him for his deed, thus giving birth to a independent faction of Vlachs. In south-west luved the Ceangai related to the Szeklers and Hungarians or Magyars. Anyway the reference to Dragos in 1285 is wrong or it was someone else as in fact Dragos began to govern Moldavia from 1247 and Bogdan invaded and took over the country in 1363. Other dates of defeating the Tartars from Moldavia that sacked Transylvania and the establishement of Dragos are 1299, 1304 and 1359 but the accepted one is 1342 during Ludivic I of Hungary when he sent Andrey Lafki of Transylvania to defeat the Tartars and free Moldavia. In fact they wanted a buffer zone to protect the Hungarian populance.
    Last edited by Visarion; February 19, 2016 at 04:12 AM.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

regarding religions map, I suggest making Crimea part-Tengri/part-orthodox instead of pure Orthodox. Byzzies lived mostly in the south of peninsula anyway and the plains were in control of nomads.

Artifex

Or part orthodox, part tengri and part catholic as the Genoans from the XII century onward established or developed the local cities, ports and citadels... in Crimeea and near the Danube Delta. For instance, Caffa, Soldaia, Lusta, Yalta (Caulita), Balaklava (Cembalo), Cetatea Alba (Montecastro), Kilia (Licostoma), Ismail (Licovrissi) and Enisala (Eraclea, Yeni-Sale). The last four fell under the rule of Basarab I of Wallachia during the late XIII-th century.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

yep, I kinda agree though Catholicism should have a very minor presence, because iirc Genoesian cities and fortresses started appearing en masse starting from the 2nd half of 13 century.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    About Moldavia the Brodnics where 6,000 string troops of mixed Vlach and Slavs from Halych, servers of Brodnic, the cousin of the ruler of Halych, that ran south and joined the Cumans after a failed try to take over the rule of Halych. Together with Ploscanea, their leader they fought for the Cuman-Rus alliance of Cumans and Brodnics, Kievans, Chernigovans and their vassals, mainly Vladimir-Suzdal, Kursk and Gallicia-Volhynia. After the Cumans were crushed Ploscanwa and the Brodnics joined the Mongols and the leader of Kiev and his 10,000 strong army after being besieged when retreating in a stringhold gave up after Ploscanea promised them safe passage to their home. The Mongol leader instead beheaded the leader and sloughtered many of his troops, tge rest being sold into slavery. Most likely many of the Pechebeg and Oghuz vassals of the Cumans joined the Mongol horde as well. The Bolovoveni joined the Hungarians against Halych just before the Mongol invasion of Hungary. The only loyal subjects of Halych were the Berladnics living in southern Moldavia, at the border with the Cumans. Some living in Borzenland where replaced by the Teutones and the German migrants in the name of the criwn of Hungaria. I will do further research about the rest of the factions from Moldavia.

Other factions are Onut, Strasinet and Tara Romanilor in the north. I only know that the leader of Onit was an ally of Gallicia and during the Cuman invasion took refuge in Lvov. In 1285 Vladislav of Transylvania faced the second Tartar-Mongol invasion and asked the pope to send reinforcements but because they were late or not comming made use of the Orthodox troops of Dragos from Maramures that was given the right to create a mark in Moldavia and govern it in the name of Hungary as a decensive front against future nomad invasions. During this time the Jassy of around modern Iasi, former capital of Medieval Moldavia migrated together with the Cumans in Hungary and joied the army as heavy cavalry and horse archers. The Jazzy where the remnants of the Alans. The mark of Dragos was situated in north-west. He was later replaced by Bogdan from Maramures that took over the mark and proclaimed independence defeating the Hungarians sent to punish him for his deed, thus giving birth to a independent faction of Vlachs. In south-west luved the Ceangai related to the Szeklers and Hungarians or Magyars. Anyway the reference to Dragos in 1285 is wrong or it was someone else as in fact Dragos began to govern Moldavia from 1247 and Bogdan invaded and took over the country in 1363. Other dates of defeating the Tartars from Moldavia that sacked Transylvania and the establishement of Dragos are 1299, 1304 and 1359 but the accepted one is 1342 during Ludivic I of Hungary when he sent Andrey Lafki of Transylvania to defeat the Tartars and free Moldavia. In fact they wanted a buffer zone to protect the Hungarian populance.
    Looks like I messed things up a bit... about Brodnics and Berladnics... The Berladnics were the ones that fled from Halych and occupied a port on the Dniester messing up the trade between the Rus and the Genoese and Venetians while the Brodnics joined the Mongols in Kalka river battle... they held the lands between the Saxon merchants and the Genoese ports... securing trade... the Bolohoveni joined the siege of Halych taking the side of the Hungarians... Berladnics where allies with the Cumans and enemies of Rus... well alliances shifted very often in this part of the world and it seems they allied later with Suzdal... the Brodnics were probably mercenaries... they most likely became wealthy with securing the trade between the Saxons, Halych and their allies from northern Moldavia and the Genoese and Venetians that traded with Constantinople and Europe. Because of large sums of maney the trade brought, the great powers of the region, Halych, Kiev, Suzdal, the Cumans and later the Tartars and of cours Hungary and later the new established power of Wallachia tried to win the favourof the merchants of Saxon and Italian origin by securing their trade routes. Even Vikings traded with the Byzantines before and Caffs was the largest trading center for fur, amber, grains, wood and of course slaves... and both the Cumans and Tartars made wars to secure their most reliable trading good... human slaves, prisoners of war and innocent people from their raids of towns and villages. The lesser people tried to progfit and gave their services to the highest bidder, in our case Brodnics offered river barges and river guards.

Edit: Brodnics also guarded the Mountain passes and as they were shepherds knew all the routes from the mountains to the rivers and to the Danube so they could escort the merchants thouroughly... they also knew the ones that dwelled along the routes so that the merchants coukd stat over night... the so called Han meaning Inn... and of course they knew tge enemies... Cumans/Tartars...

I confused the Brodnics with Berladnics because in the land of the Brodnics there is the town of Barlad wich made me think the Berladnics were situated here... the pope made the same confusion in his later so I am half pardoned right? Tge above town was first mentioned in 1401...

Made some further reserach...

Brodnics their name probably came from the ancient name of the river Prut, Brutos. They were shepherds and river guards, guarding bridges and trade routes. In their territory crossed many important ruvers like Siret and Prut that came all the way from Halych. They made use of barges to transport good from the mountains to the river ports. They were also guardians of mountain passes and guides for merchants. They helped the Saxon and Polish merchants to cross the rivers or travel by them to the mouths of the Danube to make trade with the Bulgarians, Cumans, Tartars, Byzantines and later Venetians and Genoans. Their trading ports were probably Chilia, Izmail and Galati... Probably Braila too that was taken later by the Wallachians. The probably payed taxes to the Cuman and Jazzy walike people for protection and safe passage and later to the Tartars. They joined the Tartars during the battle of Kalka.

The Berladnics were the 6,000 strong contingent of mixed Vlach, Slav and Cuman subjects of Berladnic, a competitor to the throne of Halych that settled in Barlad town. Later they occupied a port on the mouths of Dniester in the detriment of the Rus. They joined the Cumans in many occasions in sacking and pillaging and probably wgere involved in slave trade as well. In 1212 they made an alliance with Suzdal.

Onut and the other northern factions were allies of Halych and Gallicia and took refuge in Lvov when the Cumans pillaged their settlements.

Other people, settled nomads:

Ceangai, related to Szeklers and Hungarians, near Bacau.

Jassy, Jazs or Iasi people near Iasi where they made their camp and a trading market, it became the greatest trading post on land. They were of Sarmatian origin. Probably remnants of Alans or Iazyges.

Edit: Bolohoveni were the ones that joined the Hungarians against Daniel of Halych or Galych in 1231. In 1235 they sack an important town of Halych together with the revolted Gallicians but their princes are taken prisoners after failing their attempt to siege Camenita. Between 1230-1240 they wage war against the Mazovian ruler. In 1241 the ruler of Halych occupies and burns down their northern towns and citadels for offering grains to the Cumans. They are pardoned when offering many gifts. The prince of Mazovia cancels his campaign of punishing them after hearing these events. In 1257 the ruler of Halych starts a campaign against the Cumans and attacks again the Bolohoveni for continuing to offer supplies to Cumans. They are pardoned once more.

Looks like the Jazs and the Cumans and their Pecheneg and Oghuz sibjects were welcomed in Wallachia, Moldavia and Bulgaria and the local populance offered them grains regardless of the consecquences and manybtimes joined them in their raids against the foreigners and in reply The Cumans and their subjects helped the Vlach against the invaders so they were protecters of the lands of the Vlach and their populance unlike the way they were seen by oyher people, invaders, mercilles thieves and marauders and in the best case mercenaries.
    Last edited by Visarion; February 19, 2016 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks for the tips regarding religion map. Did those few small additions, I'll be figuring out the exact percentages for religions behind the scenes. I updated the map, I also added religion icons this time. I wanted to keep them in base game style, but without that unnecessary, thick circle around the symbol that made it impossibly small and hard to decipher (especially the tiny menorah for Judaism...). They do look good in-game on the city bar and are easily distinguishable. I'll showcase that with the next UI reskin I am working on now.

@nnnm: no problem! thank you for your help, I just thought you knew all that before.

@Visarion: thanks for the write-up. I think that Moldavia will be best suited for an emergent faction. The reason why it will stay emergent is that it's harder to come up with a good roster for them, even more so than Wallachian one, since they can use a lot of regional Balkan AoR units. Moldavia being more sparsely populated and thus not having a very organised form of government is a tougher nut to crack.

The Religion map overall is good.

Now in the religion map you can add religion to the map in the desolated regions in Arabia and in Sahara.Just like the Rebels map.

Second have you thinked on giving other regions to have Ibadi Islam as minority? This is what I reed on the subject yesterday.

''By the year 900, Ibadism had spread to Sind, Khorosan, Hadhramaut, Dhofar, Oman proper, Muscat, the Nafusa Mountains, and Qeshm; by 1200, the sect was present in Al-Andalus, Sicily, M'zab (the Algerian Sahara), and the western part of the Sahel region as well. The last Ibadis of Shibam were expelled by the Sulayhid dynasty in the 12th century. In the 14th century, historian Ibn Khaldun made reference to vestiges of Ibadi influence in Hadhramaut, though the sect no longer exists in the region today.''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadi

And third - its secondary option
    The Philippopolis's area around the city was dominant by relions like bogomilism, but outside of it in the Rodopes mountains and Aegean Thrace it was the orthodox religion the dominant.All those regions are in the in game Philippopolis's region. So here you can personally choose to make the decision making the Philippopolis's region the only region where the Bogomilism sect is dominant. Or at least the Ratio to be 50-50%.All the moves are valid for that region.

Another province where you can make the Ratio to be 50-50% is in Sarmatia with Tengri and Orthodox.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; February 19, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks for the notes on Bogomilism, I'll keep that in mind. It certainly will have less percentages in other regions than Philippopolis, but I don't think it should exceed 50%. The only faction that should start as Bogomil is probably the emergent Bosnia.

About Ibadi Islam - I read about its spread and decided against showing it on the map itself, so it isn't too messy (it's always good to see a single-colour area to show where the religion is really dominant). I only opted to show a sizable Ibadi minority around the Persian Gulf, but the exact percentages can be made so that in certain places there is a 5-10% Ibadi minority. Although, this minority might not have that much of an impacy outside of Oman and around the Persian Gulf - at most it would have the value of "1" in "local traditions" when it comes to religious influence in a province, outside its home region.

This Post will be for the Updated Diplomacy,Starting Armies and Family Trees in Asia Minor and the Balkans after the final update on the Starting factions map.

Diplomacy

1)In 1212 the Latin empire was at war on 2 fronts - Vs Nicaea and the Bulgaria to the north.

2)The Bulgarians were at war also - the Latins and Kingdom of Thesalonica.
    Bulgaria got Non-Aggression pact with Hungary,Nicaea and the Cumans

3)Trepizond has became vassal(so make them Client State) of the Latin Empire in 1212 and was At War with the Sultanate of Rum and Nicaea.
    Trepizond got Non-Aggression pact with Georgia and the Cumans

4)Despotate of Epirus was at war with the Kingdom of Thesalonica and Morea and vassal(so make them Client State) of Venice and trading with it.

5)Serbia neutral with its neighbors,but bad relationships.

6)Morea and Kingdom of Thesalonica - vassals of the Latin Empire.

7)Wallachia to be vassal of Bulgaria and be at war with the Latins and Kingdom of Thesalonica

8)Sultanate of Rum at war with Trepizond and Nicaea.
    Now With the Sultanate of Rum in 1212 there was a Civil war.And Trepizond put Gasoline to the Fire by waging war.Leo I, King of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia was at the start against Kaykaus(with whom Sultanate of Rum's faction to be) and later changed sides and allied with Kaykaus.

Upon the death of Kaykhusraw I following the Battle of Alaşehir in 1211, Kaykaus’ two younger brothers, Kayferidun Ibrahim and the future Kayqubad I, challenged his succession. Kayqubad initially garnered some support among the neighbors of the sultanate, Leo I, the king of Cilician Armenia, and Tughrilshah, his uncle and the independent ruler of Erzurum. At the same time, Kayferidun imperiled the recently acquired port of Antalya by seeking aid from the Cypriot Franks. Most of the emirs, as the powerful landed aristocracy of the sultanate, supported Kaykaus. From his base in Malatya, Kaykaus seized Kayseri and then Konya, inducing Leo to change sides. Kayqubad was forced to flee to the fortress at Ankara, where he sought aid from the Turkman tribes of Kastamonu. Kaykaus soon apprehended both of his brothers and secured the throne for himself.

During this time of considerable danger, Kaykaus negotiated a peace settlement with Theodore Laskaris, the Byzantine Emperor of Nicaea. This treaty marked the end of hostilities between the Seljuq state and the Empire of Nicaea, though Turkmen nomads continued occasionally to trouble the border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...on_the_Meander

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaykaus_I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayqubad_I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_I,_King_of_Armenia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armeni...dom_of_Cilicia

Now to simulate this (we talked before)Rum can have some unrest problems and low Integrity armies.

9) Nicaea to be at war with the Latin empire,Sultanate of Rum and Trepizond and Non-Aggression pact with Bulgaria.

Now To the Family trees of the Factions in the Balkans and Asia Minor and Starting Armies.

1)Bulgaria

Other Nobles:
    Strez - probably Boril's brother - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Skopia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strez

Alexius Slav - Boril's cousin - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army between the cities of Thessaloniki and Plovdiv in the mountain pass in Sredets region.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexius_Slav

Alexander Asen - Boril's cousin - 20 years old
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90...81%D0%B5%D0%BD

Ivan Asen II - Boril's cousin - 23 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Asen_II_of_Bulgaria

Make all of them with low loyalty.

Ruling party:
    Boril Asen - Ruler - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in the capital Turnovo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boril_of_Bulgaria

Anna Annisia - Queen - She was also the queen of the deceased Tzar Kaloyan in 1207.She had 2 kids from Kaloyan - a boy Vitleem and a girl Maria.

Make Strez and Alexius Slav younger than Boril and older than Ivan Asen II and Alexander Asen.

2)Serbia

Ruling party:
    Stefan I (the First-Crowned) - Ruler - 47 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in Nish
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_the_First-Crowned

Eudokia Angelina (or Eudocia Angelina) - wife of Stefan I - 38 years old - died in 1211
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudokia_Angelina

Stefan Radoslav - 20 years old - son
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Radoslav_of_Serbia

Stefan Vladislav - 14 years old - son
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan...slav_of_Serbia

Saint Sava II/Predislav - 12 years old - son
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sava_II

Give Serbia at a start a the priest ''Saint Sava I'' between the 2 Serbian regions.Sava was the brother of Stefan I
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Sava

For other Nobles - haven't researched yet.

3)Despotate of Epirus

Ruling party:
    John Doukas - Died in 1200ad - 75 years old.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D...sebastokrator)
    Zoe Doukaina - John Doukas's wife - died (no info for age)

Michael I Komnenos Doukas - Ruler - 42 years old. - bastard son of John Doukas - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in the capital Dyrrachium
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_I_Komnenos_Doukas

Michael II Komnenos Doukas - bastard son of Michael I Komnenos Doukas - 6 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...omnenos_Doukas

Constantine Komnenos Doukas - son - 40 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consta...omnenos_Doukas

Theodore Komnenos Doukas - son - 32 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Komnenos_Doukas

Manuel Doukas - son - 25 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Doukas

Theodora - daughter - 24 years old
    Irene - daughter - 25 years old
    Anna - daughter - 22 years old

4)Latin empire

Ruling party:
    Henry of Flanders - Ruler - 36 years old (No wife) - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in the capital Constantinoplis.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_of_Flanders

Eustach of Flanders - - brother of Henry ,younger than him - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Cyzicus
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustach_von_Flandern

Other Nobles:

Gérard de Strřm - I got no Information for him,only that he was the duke of Duchy of Philippopolis from 1208 to 1221/8 ad - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Philippopolis.

I didnt Added some known political players in the latin empire Due to their Absence in the latin empire in 1212 and they were in Western Europe in 1212ad and not in the Balkans.

5)Empire of Nicaea

Ruling party:
    Theodore I Laskaris - Ruler - 38 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in the capital Nicaea
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_I_Laskaris

Anna Komnene Angelina - Queen - 38 years old (historicaly she died with 2 of her kids 1212,But I kept them Alive)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Komnene_Angelina

Nicholas Laskaris - young son (died c. 1212)
    John Laskaris - young son (died c. 1212)

Irene Laskarina - daughter - 12 years old.Its Speculated when Irene first married the general Andronikos Palaiologos, and after his death became the wife of Theodore's designated successor, the future John III Doukas Vatatzes - 1212 or 1216.So I went with 1216.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_Laskarina

Maria Laskarina - daughter - 6 years old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Laskarina

Eudokia Laskarina - daughter - 2 years old

Other Nobles:
    John III Doukas Vatatzes - 20 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in Smyrna
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_III_Doukas_Vatatzes

Andronikos Palaiologos - no info about Age - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Dorylaion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andron...of_Theodore_I)

Sabas Asidenos
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabas_Asidenos

6)Empire of Trebizond

Ruling party:
    Alexios I of Trebizond - Ruler - 30 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in Trebizond
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexios_I_of_Trebizond

David Komnenos - brother of Alexios I of Trebizond - 28 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army in Sinope
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Komnenos

Theodora Axouchina - Queen - not known age.

John I of Trebizond - 16 years old - son of Alexios I of Trebizond
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_of_Trebizond

Manuel I of Trebizond - 14 years old - son of Alexios I of Trebizond
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_I_of_Trebizond

Komnene - not known years old - daughter of Alexios I of Trebizond
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komnen...I_of_Trebizond

Other Nobles:
    Andronikos I of Trebizond
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andronikos_I_of_Trebizond

7)Kingom of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia

Leo I, King of Armenia - Ruler - 62 years old - place him with a 8 units with 75% health army in the capital Tarsus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_I,_King_of_Armenia

Sibylla of Lusignan - Queen - not known age.Probably 14
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibylla_of_Lusignan

8) Sultanate of Rum
    Ghiyath ad-Din Kaykhusraw I - died in 1211 ,Father
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaykhusraw_I

Izz ad-Din Kaykaus I - Ruler - 32 years old - son of Kaykhusraw I - place him with a 8 units with 75% health army in Malatya
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaykaus_I

Ala ad-Din Kayqubad I - 24 years old - son of Kaykhusraw I - Civil war Rival of Izz ad-Din Kaykaus I - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Ancyra
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayqubad_I

Kayferidun Ibrahim - son of Kaykhusraw I - Civil war Rival of Izz ad-Din Kaykaus I - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Iconion

other Nobles:
    Tughrilshah - Civil war Rival of Izz ad-Din Kaykaus I

Manuel Maurozomes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Maurozomes

There may be more info for the Sultanate of Rum,but i didnt had time to dig around for more.

9)Kingdom of Thesalonica

Demetrius of Montferrat - ruler - kid
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_of_Montferrat

Eustace of Flanders - regent
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustach_von_Flandern

Other Nobles:

Oberto II of Biandrate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberto_II_of_Biandrate

Berthold II, Count of Katzenelnbogen - 29 years old - - place him with a 5 units with 50% health army in Thessalonika.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertho...Katzenelnbogen

10)Morea/Principality of Achaea

Geoffrey I of Villehardouin - - ruler - 40 years old - place him with a 5 units with 75% health army crossroad just north of Corinth where the Army can go in 3 Directions - to Corinth,to Thessalonika or to Dyrrachium
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffr..._Villehardouin

Other Nobles:
    Othon de la Roche - unknown age.But he died in the 1230s.Give him around 30-35-40 years old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Othon_de_la_Roche

10)Wallachia - I got no information about that faction's members a that time.

Now With the depleted armies/units the idea is to simulate the Depletion of the man power in the Balkans and Asia Minor Because there was some never ending wars and this also will help no1 to rush the first few turns the neighboring enemies in the region and all factions to be Balanced in the area and have Fare share when fighting for survival...The Balance also takes into Account my proposal of giving the Latin empire the region of Cyzicus by taking it From Nicaean Empire.

If I missed some important info Say it guys.