Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

I know you mostly want Croatia to have a second province, so the other ideas are only to compensate Venice for their loss. Your ideas cause more trouble and introduce inaccuracies for the sake of one province, so I'll refrain from following them.

a) as you mentioned earlier yourself, Duchy of Milan wasn't created until 1395.
    b) Verona got under Venetian control in 1405. They could be independent at the start of the game, why not, but that means that Milan will need to be there 180 years ahead of time. Depends on feedback of others as I'm hesitant to break up the Lombard League at the moment.
    c) with the amount of differences on Attila map and the proper medieval borders (look at Spain, Poland, France, Serbia etc.), cities are more important than the shape of the provinces. Hence, since there will be Zadar in Dalmatia, it will be Venetian as it was in reality at that time - land around it is irrelevant. What I wanted to do though, was to make the province with Zadar into a Croatian "core" province, so if Croatia is eliminated, it will be possible to resurrect it there, as well as in Zagreb.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; February 14, 2016 at 04:43 AM.

I'm a tad curious... what buildings will Venice and Genoa have? Given both of their maritime wealth and the fact that neither province is a "capitol" it seems basically impossible to have them be both productive and able to exert some maritime influence.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    Depends on feedback of others as I'm hesitant to break up the Lombard League at the moment.

Bah with Venice in the Balkans.
    Bah.

Also, the Slavonia province, perhaps instead of Zagreb or Sisak, you could put Varaždin as the city instead, as it received a royal city charter already in 1209, prior to the games start date, unlike Zagreb.
    Last edited by +Marius+; February 14, 2016 at 02:42 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by +Marius+ View Post

Bah with Venice in the Balkans.
    Bah.

Also, the Slavonia province, perhaps instead of Zagreb or Sisak, you could put Varaždin as the city instead, as it received a royal city charter already in 1209, prior to the games start date, unlike Zagreb.
    https://youtu.be/U74s8nFE7No?t=13s

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; February 14, 2016 at 07:43 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Nevermind this, the parliament was being held at Zagreb, Zagreb is the city for the province.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Maaannn I wabt more videos from Pixelated Apollo so hurry up guys and release some more factions! I viewed all of his and Warrior of Sparta's You Tube stuff!

Updated maps: cities, provinces, starting factions, emergent factions, rebels.

Few notable changes:
    - new icons for factions: Ireland, Wales, Croatia
    - new factions: Kingdom of Cyprus, Principality of Antioch, Kingdom of Jerusalem (broken up the blobby Crusader States), Uyunid Emirate
    - emergent factions moved to starting factions: Principalities of Morea and Thessalonica (vassals of Latin Empire), Principality of Wallachia (vassal of Bulgaria)
    - new emergent factions: Kingdom of Valencia, Duchy of Milan, Prince-Bishopric of Strasburg
    - a few new, less generic icons for rebels based on ornaments, dynasties or factions not present on any map.

Many thanks to all the people giving feedback and suggestions! I think I implemented at least some of those that looked decent.

I wish this was the last update... (yeah I said that a lot of times). Just so that Warman could do some startpos stuff without worrying that it's gonna change. There's still the dreaded religion map waiting for an update. I'll get there.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Heynjve! Glad you slashed the Crusade Blob!

Good job with Croatia!

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

Idea for maps!

convey province Riga ---> faction Livonia (new faction)
    convey province Gyulafehervar ---> faction Teutonic Order

Mission: Impossible - land barter
    Tom Cruise shocked

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Giving gyulafehervar to the TO would be like giving the whole of Transylvania to them. The TO was not present for very long in the kingdom of Hungary and they were there only in the southern region, in the Saxon area. Transylvania was hugely important for the Kingdom of Hungary not only because of the Hungarian population there but because it was one of the major suppliers of salt ( to a great extent also to Europe ). Salt was sometimes as much worth as gold

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    Updated maps: cities, provinces, starting factions, emergent factions, rebels.

Few notable changes:
    - new icons for factions: Ireland, Wales, Croatia
    - new factions: Kingdom of Cyprus, Principality of Antioch, Kingdom of Jerusalem (broken up the blobby Crusader States), Uyunid Emirate
    - emergent factions moved to starting factions: Principalities of Morea and Thessalonica (vassals of Latin Empire), Principality of Wallachia (vassal of Bulgaria)
    - new emergent factions: Kingdom of Valencia, Duchy of Milan, Prince-Bishopric of Strasburg
    - a few new, less generic icons for rebels based on ornaments, dynasties or factions not present on any map.

Many thanks to all the people giving feedback and suggestions! I think I implemented at least some of those that looked decent.

I wish this was the last update... (yeah I said that a lot of times). Just so that Warman could do some startpos stuff without worrying that it's gonna change. There's still the dreaded religion map waiting for an update. I'll get there.
    No Nationalism was hurt here.Now I see the CAI in the Balkans and Asia Minor to be Competent when dealing with their lands and enemies.In the Balkans BTW I will Update on the family trees and the diplomacy for the mod after the changes.Btw for Wallachia i got no info who was ruling the vassal state. With this I wont look at the Starting factions and Emergent factions maps. For now for me only the Religions map is in my crosshair. Nothing Else.

Gratz mate.

And For me After Renaming of Volga Bulgars to Volga Bulgaria - Here a song from Volga Bulgarian(Tatarstan) Metal band.

Quote Originally Posted by Inyk View Post
    Idea for maps!

convey province Riga ---> faction Livonia (new faction)
    convey province Gyulafehervar ---> faction Teutonic Order

Mission: Impossible - land barter
    Tom Cruise shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    Giving gyulafehervar to the TO would be like giving the whole of Transylvania to them. The TO was not present for very long in the kingdom of Hungary and they were there only in the southern region, in the Saxon area. Transylvania was hugely important for the Kingdom of Hungary not only because of the Hungarian population there but because it was one of the major suppliers of salt ( to a great extent also to Europe ). Salt was sometimes as much worth as gold
    Well I think the logic of Inyk for giving Transylvania to the Teutonic Order is for balancing.Hungary already got 5 regions + 2 from Croatia.Now its a powerhouse faction,that was fighting with big peasant revolts in the 1210s in Hungary in that time,and that can slow their steamroll.So independent/vassal(I dont know what were the relations of the TO with Hungary at the time,havent researched that part) Teutonic Order in Transylvania ,but emergent faction in Latvia is good idea and Historically accurate,Teutonic Order this way will have a hard starting campaign in Central Europe,compared with the ''Easy'' and safe starting campaign in the Baltics,but we know this will make the Baltic nations campaigns without the arch enemy the Teutonic Order - a bit boring.But this is up to the Mod Team. For me I wont take sides on the subject. The only reason for this exact change is - Balancing,nothing else.

Edit: Another Scenario is Teutonic Order in Transylvania,independant with non-aggression pact with Hungary, but its 2 main armies is in the Baltic Sea at war with the Baltic nation that Holds Riga with good Economy sustaning the landing force with the developed Transylvanian region ,but this way the Hungarian player can backstab TO big time in the first 10-20 turns.

In 1211, Andrew II of Hungary enfeoffed the Teutonic Knights with the Burzenland. In 1225, Andrew II expelled the Teutonic Knights from Transylvania, and they had to transfer to the Baltic Sea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...Teutonic_Order
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; February 16, 2016 at 03:31 AM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Well Hungary was a powerhouse back then, even though there were internal struggles. But giving Transylvania to the TO would be like giving one province of France to the templars or similar. The TO never had any authority in Transylvania and they never had autonomy or in a vasal status. They were just there to guard the southern borders in exchange for some tiny land. Once they wanted to expand their influence they get kicked out by the king. If there were more cities in transylvania then yes but giving the whole of transylvania to them would be hugely unhistorical

I would lie if the thought of the Teutons starting in Transylvania didn't cross my mind, but I dismissed it because of one reason - TO in the Baltic area is so darn "iconic" that it would be a detriment to the campaign if they were not there from the start. Is it completely ahistorial? Well, yes - in the context of the Order itself. But not in the context of the Baltic and Polabian crusades that have been going on for quite a while in that broadly-defined area, so the TO is there to represent that in a way. TO in the Baltic lands also makes sense from the "future" perspective - they had a strong state there, and not in the lands they were expelled from. This is a case of historical familiarity - you would expect certain factions to be in certain places.

As for balancing - Hungary might start with a lot of land, but it can be made underdeveloped. Both major cities can be 1-building forts at the start of the game, and the three remaining minor cities could also be made relatively small. Also keep in mind that Hungary will be at odds with pretty much everyone around them - they should be at the brink of war with Lesser Poland (dispute over the control of Galicia-Volhynia), so they might be unlucky and have a war on their northern border.

One thing I wanted to do is to add the Archbishopric of Riga as an emergent faction where the Teutonic Order is. This would eliminate any of TO's "core provinces" though, so it wouldn't be possible to revive them. But I think that's neat, since they weren't native to that land anyway. The Archbishopric wasn't native either, but it was there earlier. Alternatively it could be a blob of pagan tribes, like Livonians or Lettgallians, but I'd prefer the Archbishopric - fancier faction symbol.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; February 16, 2016 at 04:11 AM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

The TO was expelled for the very reason that they wanted to establish a mini state for themselves and be independent from the Kingdom of Hungary. Apart from the TO, there were several other entities that would be a far more suitable to have an own state, the szekler, the saxons and the vlachs playing the most prominent role in Transylvania.
    Making the Kingdom of Hungary underdeveloped in terms of settlements would make a lot more sense, as they started heavily fortifying the settlements with stone walls, mainly after the mongol invasion, when they realized the importance of more fortified defenses.
    And being at war or on the brink of war on the west and in the south will be a great disadvantage .

Regarding the Archbishopric of Riga: they could be added as emergent faction, I guess, but we also have to keep in mind that there are still a lot of factions to be done as of now, and at some point we have to draw a line in terms of how many factions we want to add. There were so many duchies, petty kingdoms, small factions available anyway that we would never be able to represent them all

Morderoc's Avatar Laetus

I finally found a good map of France for early XIIIth c. As you can see on it, in 1223, south-western France is still an english land, while french royal domain has extended (in blue) over Normandy and federated several fiefs like Bretagne. But Champagne is still a property of the count of Champagne, like a lot of fiefs are.
    (Yellow is for ecclesiastical fiefdom, Blue is the french royal domain, red is english royal domain, and green is french federated fiefs owned by different counts and dukes)

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Well with TO staying as it was in the Baltics I think the starting and emerging factions maps are Final and now the only map to be done is the Religions one.

Yes, pretty much. The only change I have in mind is swapping the emergent pagan Prussians into emergent Royal Prussia. I felt that the duchy of Pomerania should be replaced with a successor, not a predecessor. Same with Yotvingians having an emergent duchy of Mazovia - replaces tribal communities with feudal states, as it pretty much happened historically.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; February 16, 2016 at 08:44 AM.

An idea would be to give at start of the campaign the Riga region to the "Livonian Brothers of the Sword" (a new minor faction similar to the TO) an make the Teutonic Order a small horde faction who began the campaign in south Hungary .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livoni...s_of_the_Sword
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Mariana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teuton...dom_of_Hungary

It can be a good compromise between historical accuracy and gameplay (like this the TO can still join the Baltic area, go to the crusaders state in Levant or maybe stay here and make their own kingdom).

(And to enable their movement on the map without too much troubles or wars we can imagine, as a Military Order approved by the Pope, military acces was granted to them from all neutral Catholic factions via their cultural trait).