Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Campaign Map Master Thread

Banu Ghanyia where no more the start of the mod. Hafsids had Tunis regions that u have for Bnu Ghaniya. Ziyyanids had Algeria region now but both Hafssids and Ziyyanids were part of Almohad in the start of the mod and both became independent later around 1235.

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    At this point I don't want to have campaign map tools... The amount of complaints and nationalism would increase exponentially when I would start to redesign the map with better provinces. Saying "you can't edit the map" is so much easier and less stressful.
    Small mercies, etc

Quote Originally Posted by nnnm View Post
    Banu Ghanyia where no more the start of the mod. Hafsids had Tunis regions that u have for Bnu Ghaniya. Ziyyanids had Algeria region now but both Hafssids and Ziyyanids were part of Almohad in the start of the mod and both became independent later around 1235.
    Doesn't matter. It's more interesting to have a lesser-known political entity on the map, especially in a place as bland (faction-wise) as North Africa. Banu Ghaniya are there to throw a wrench into Almohad+Hafsid machinery.

I don't think Pisa should be a faction and should be replaced by Florence for a few reasons. The first is that the city in game is Florence and not the port city of Pisa. Florence would play a role in both the Guelph-Ghibelline Wars and Latin ruled Greece. The other faction could be the Republic of Siena, who also played a role in the Guelph-Ghibelline Wars and defeated Florence at the battle of Montaperti. It would be interesting to see a faction in Tuscany other than Florence. The other reason is that Cagliari(city on Sardinia) was independent and ruled by the Giudicato of Cagliari(which would be represented by Sardinia) and they would remain independent from Pisa until 1258. In 1214 Benedetta of Cagliari married the ruler of the Giudicato of Arborea and essential unite half of Sardinia for a few years.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giudicato_of_Cagliari

Funny coincidence, since I removed Florence from the emergent factions map for the next update (just so it doesn't eliminate Pisa from there). It's a good point about geographical location, so I could place Florence as a starting faction. But that would require Warman's consent - he manages the playable factions list, and Pisa was meant to be playable. So I'll hold off until he can chime in and comment on the matter.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; February 10, 2016 at 09:10 PM.

Sorry for a double post, but in addition to the post above, I'd have another query.

I was thinking about emergent factions in the Levant and two ways of handling it.

a) keep current blob called "Crusader States" with three regions (Cyprus, Antioch and Acre), but place emergent Crusader factions beneath it (Cyprus, Antioch, Jerusalem). Meaning that they can either rebel and appear, or be liberated when the Crusader States are eliminated.
    b) remove the current blob, introduce Cyprus, Antioch and Jerusalem as starting factions with the ability to confederate into a "Crusader States" blob. It remains to be seen whether all could become playable

Both options have pros and cons.

a) PROS: stronger starting faction that has a chance against the Ayyubids and other Muslim states. Definitely a playable faction. CONS: is a generalised faction that is based on the one seen in Stainless Steel, when the number of factions was limited.
    b) PROS: more historical and diverse starting position, with more fancy icons and colours, perhaps even with one or two unique units per faction. CONS: weak one province minors that might find it difficult to put up a fight against the Muslims. A challenge for the player, but probably a bigger, crippling one for the AI. Only one faction out of three might be playable.

I probably would choose the option a) - a united Crusader faction is better for balance in the region and has a chance to withstand the Muslims. It still adds those separate factions as emergents, so once the Crusader States are gone, they can be revived as smaller states.

In any case, I will be doing icons for those new factions, so either way it's a "win" situation. I also decided to add a couple emergent factions in other places: Kingdom of Valencia and Prince-Bishopric of Strasburg. We already have Kingdom of Majorca and the Electorate of Trier, so why not those?

I'd go with option B and the group of minors, with maybe at least one of them being playable. Could be an awesome "bragging rights" faction if you manage not only to form the Crusader States, but survive and prosper in the face of Muslim supremacy as well. That is just me and my love of challenges though... mechanically A would allow the Crusader States to exist more often in game.

In any case, I will be doing icons for those new factions, so either way it's a "win" situation. I also decided to add a couple emergent factions in other places: Kingdom of Valencia and Prince-Bishopric of Strasburg. We already have Kingdom of Majorca and the Electorate of Trier, so why not those?

Why Valencia and not Catalonia/Duchy of Barcelona?

Can't comment on the second as lack of knowledge on said area, though wouldn't it fall more suitably into Mecklenburg?

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Doesn't matter. It's more interesting to have a lesser-known political entity on the map, especially in a place as bland (faction-wise) as North Africa. Banu Ghaniya are there to throw a wrench into Almohad+Hafsid machinery.
    how it doesn't matter ? Banu Ghaniyyah rebilion was crushed in 1205 and since 1203 they hold no lands in Africa at all. if u want to represent the situation after Las Navas de Tolosa add Marinids as playble hord faction that at war with Almohad from the start of the mod in south of Morocco. replace Banu Ghaniya with with Ziyannids and give them Algeria region. add Tunis region to Hafssids and give them bad relations with Ziyanids and Almohads and balanced relations with Marinids. and the Ziyanids balanced relations with Almohads and Marinids and Bad relations with Hafsids.

and about the crusades, option A is more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Olligarchy View Post
    Why Valencia and not Catalonia/Duchy of Barcelona?

Can't comment on the second as lack of knowledge on said area, though wouldn't it fall more suitably into Mecklenburg?
    Check the emergents map - Barcelona is already there. Strasburg would be in one of the two provinces of the "central" Holy Roman Empire. Just for funsies. Mecklenburg is on the Baltic coast, far from there.

Quote Originally Posted by nnnm View Post
    how it doesn't matter ? Banu Ghaniyyah rebilion was crushed in 1205 and since 1203 they hold no lands in Africa at all. if u want to represent the situation after Las Navas de Tolosa add Marinids as playble hord faction that at war with Almohad from the start of the mod in south of Morocco. replace Banu Ghaniya with with Ziyannids and give them Algeria region. add Tunis region to Hafssids and give them bad relations with Ziyanids and Almohads and balanced relations with Marinids. and the Ziyanids balanced relations with Almohads and Marinids and Bad relations with Hafsids
    Except the Ziyanids claimed land and independence in the 1230's, too far in the future for the start of the mod. Their faction (as the Kingdom of Tlemcen) is an emergent faction. Marinids are already included as a horde, but I don't think they'll be playable. Banu Ghaniya stays, for the sheer fun of it doing stuff at the Almohad back door.

Check the emergents map - Barcelona is already there. Strasburg would be in one of the two provinces of the "central" Holy Roman Empire. Just for funsies. Mecklenburg is on the Baltic coast, far from there.
    You're absolutely right. *feeling like an idiot* mixed up Strasburg and Straslund very neatly.

Oh right... have you guys thought on Faction Traits yet, or too early to kiss and tell?

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

I'm for B because what I learned from Rome 2 and Attila is 3 minor factions with 1 region each makes a stronger defence and are more aggressive than 1 faction with 3 regions.And the CA I with the minor factions always handles better than the bigger factions who got 10+ regions due to also several other reasons. More money per turn, more armies for imperium level and so on.And with B you can try with the kingdom of Jerusalem to take back Jerusalem from the Muslims as playable faction. In fact I fear the Aubids they can't handle 4+ frontlines - Sudan, Lybia, Syria Arabia/Levant and rebelions in their lands.

Hello. First I want to say that this mod is so great guys, keep up the good work!
    Second, I wanted to make a suggestion. The province named Arabia, which holds Mecca. Is originally known as Al-Hejaz. So I thought adding it this name would be more realistic. Thank you.

Hello everyone!

As a player of Total War fan I am and the Medieval era, as well as Portuguese come here leave some suggestions to improve the Mod and makes it historically correct with regard to Portuguese faction or in this case the Portuguese Province.

Let down a few points that must be corrected:
    - Replace the city of Porto to Guimaraes (1st Portuguese capital and home of the first king of Portugal - D. Afonso Henriques)
    - Please change Spanish Rebels for Iberian Rebels - everyone forgets that there exists another country (Portugal) and is not all Spain and that the two form Iberia or more precisely the Iberian Peninsula. Make no mistake these as the Total War makes almost discriminated the Portuguese and the history of Portugal.
    - The town of Silves, is not correctly positioned, as probably there is no possibility to work on the map and change the location of the city, it might be better to change the name to Évora.

For now is everything.
    I have helped and clarified some things.

If you need more information about Portugal just ask!
    Thank you and good work!

Thank you! I'll make the changes as you desrcribed, they look reasonable.
    a) Guimaraes should indeed work better - in vanilla map, that settlement isn't even a port. I called it Porto before as I just assumed it was important enough.
    b) Iberian rebels makes sense. Truth be told, this is an indication of a mental shortcut of mine - I thought that "Iberian" and "Spanish" could be interchangeable. No disrespect towards non-Spaniards on my part, that's just how my brain operates sometimes. Anyway, I'll be making new icons for those ethnic rebel types, to differentiate them from existing faction icons. Iberian rebels currently use a desaturated icon of Leon, and that might get confusing. Suggestions are welcome, this will be done for all rebel types that don't have anything unique.
    c) there is indeed no possibility to move the settlements on the map, so a good number of them is not totally correctly placed. On the other hand, the settlements themselves are so big in scale that a difference of 50 or even 100 km in regards to real position is something that can be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostor7 View Post
    Second, I wanted to make a suggestion. The province named Arabia, which holds Mecca. Is originally known as Al-Hejaz. So I thought adding it this name would be more realistic. Thank you.
    Yes, but Hejaz was only the western part of Arabia, adjacent to the Red Sea. The two other regions are roughly Shammar and Nejd, both of which are bigger. I thought that generalising it to "Arabia" works better.
    Last edited by jan_boruta; February 12, 2016 at 04:36 AM.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

if Ziyyanids are represented through Tilmecan emergent faction that will be better. Ziyyanids are much known as Banu Abdul’Wad and their home is between Wahran and Tilmecan and have large influence and respect yet they are not from Almohad sects and especially in Tilmecan. however if u want to add someone at the back door of Almoads that should be Hilalids Arab tribes not Banu Ghaniyyah.

Uyunids: Kufah
    While the Uyunids never controlled the city of Kufah, they did rule the Persian Gulf coast of Arabia, and large parts of the Nejd and Syrian deserts. Both of which make up over half of the in game region of Kufah, which is currently desolate. Records say different things about the Uyunids faith, whether they were Shia or Sunni. Arabia seems really empty, with only three controlled regions and only two Arab factions.

Hey will the crusader states be playable??

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Another attempt at fixing da stuff;

1) Give Dalmatia back to Croatia, rename the province to Croatia, rename the settlement to Knin.
    2) Give Venice Lombardy, Lombardy is a piece of fantasy anyway and it did not exist in such a form until 1395 as the Duchy of Milan

Balkans are a no go zone for me now, so I am not "fixing" anything.

1) Ragusa will be renamed into Zadar and will stay Venetian - it's a port, and Knin definitely isn't one. Dalmatia stays as Dalmatia as well, since it's bigger than Croatia proper. Would the name Slavonia be okay? I want to keep it a bit abstract in that region, since a few factions are there - Croatia, Serbia, Venice, and an emergent Bosnia.
    2) Venetian holdings on the terraferma got big mostly after the 14th century. It's less inaccurate to try and represent the Lombard League than to give Venice dominion over northern Italy. I thought about it earlier, but forgot - I can add an emergent Duchy of Milan, alongside already present Verona. So if Lombardy gets eliminated, only its successor states will have the opportunity to emerge.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

1) Ragusa will be renamed into Zadar and will stay Venetian - it's a port, and Knin definitely isn't one.
    How about Šibenik or Biograd?

Would the name Slavonia be okay? I want to keep it a bit abstract in that region, since a few factions are there - Croatia, Serbia, Venice, and an emergent Bosnia.
    Perhaps leave it as Dalmatia then...

2) Venetian holdings on the terraferma got big mostly after the 14th century.
    Yeah, and their holdings in the Balkans did not even include all the islands until 1482, the coastal cities until the 16th century and anything outside the walls of the coastal cities until the 17th/18th century.

It's less inaccurate to try and represent the Lombard League than to give Venice dominion over northern Italy.
    lol how?

The Lombard League was not a political entity.

It was just a declaration on a piece of paper.

I thought about it earlier, but forgot - I can add an emergent Duchy of Milan, alongside already present Verona. So if Lombardy gets eliminated, only its successor states will have the opportunity to emerge
    How about this;

Duchy of Milan instead of Lombardy.

Milan gets Milan province.

Venice gets Verona.

Croatia gets "Ragusa".

?