Thread: On Late Unit Skins

Default On Late Unit Skins

I hope this post of mine gets a reply. Uhm, a disclaimer, I'm not demanding any of the below to be implemented, I'm just hoping they would be at some point in the future.

As a starter, the Post-Marian reform units of Rome are gorgeous. Beautiful to the point I'm commending the foresight and the historical accuracy the team employs that influenced them to decide to NOT use the disgusting segmented plate armor so touted about by reen-actors and the movie Gladiator (but the movie was awesome nonetheless). However, again, I never expected mail and scale and uniform-ish helmets to look so good (I always expected the roman army to look the ugliest towards the end of the game).

So now to the point, I hope that many of the other factions get their units to look the same (not like the roman army, but have their equipment and look fit the changing times) in the "late period". NOW hold up!! I know there is a limited roster for the whole game, so letting every faction get a whole new set of hypothetical units (because by late period, historically, Rome has already stomped them) just so that they'll fit in later is impossible. I'm hoping that using Medieval II's system of armor upgrades one can apply it to as an avenue to introduce new skins to every unit that will still be around come the late period.

A good example is that if the phalangitai would still be around in the later game, they'd be using mail or modified composite armor, and less of the archaic bronze breastplates, and more importantly, more iron helmets.

Another is that the Indian units can't forever be half naked right? I know for a fact India at the time had good metallurgy.

Final example (and important in that it can be applied to general's bodyguards) is that the consular guard cavalry can't still be wearing Camillan era tiny chest pieces when all their regular cavalry look way more modern. So, here is hope to all the other factions looking good (I mean the whole point of EB is that it's not ALL about Rome).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; January 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Paragraphs! Hope you'll forgive me Pooploop.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: On Late Unit Skins

Indeed, good points there and depending on the new artists will get the other factions will get revised late units.
    Since that's the main issue right now, lack of manpower on this front.

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Usually we don't make "what-if" units
    However, some units get "middle" and "late" skins, using the armor upgrade mechanic. Play a custom battle and take a look at the gallic units (with different armor chevrons) for example

Well, I suggested a Polybian-preMarian-mini armor reform, which would have "modernised" the mid-to late 2nd century BC Romans... I know, I know, they are crazy strong as it is lol. But is applicable to a bunch of other factions as well. It doesnt have to be a huge effort, new 1 body+1helmet variation per unit, replacing the most outdated stuff. A unit slot is saved, a existing unit is refreshed.