Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [CAMPAIGN] Manpower System for Ancient Empires, By Causeless

Default Re: Population Mod: "Citizenship" Ancient Empires

What!? Thats fast may i ask why he quite? finally a good scripter that shows some great progress to only stop some months/weeks later "really a shame" because of the possibilities he could create with scripting for AE.

Dont want to work together? I tought you guys already shared work and helped one and another.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Too bad, with his mod and the things he found out he gave me a big boost. Well, no use to nag about it...

I believe Causeless is still going to be modding, but at a reduced capacity, he just isn't in AE anymore. Just so you guys know we will continue with work on this script, we've two scripters right now, one helping to import DeI's great supply system script to AE and we also have one other scripter working on his own new secret stuff . I can say without a doubt, however, that Causeless was definitely one of the best at what he does and it is a great shame that he isn't working on this anymore and as such this part of AE will likely be delayed until after initial release.
    Last edited by Petellius; March 08, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking1978 View Post
    Hey, Causeless, any update? Maybe I should speak for myself, but I think we're all excited here...
    I'm no longer a part of AE. I may continue this population mod independently from AE and release it for the vanilla game. Assuming the situation doesn't change, I see no issue with letting AE use the code I've already written, provided that the license laid out in the scripting files is followed and that I am credited for the work I have done.

Assuming that AE continue work on the scripts I have in place, it's likely that some stuff (like the UI editing I've done) would not be in the AE population mod, at least to begin with. I do not think that I uploaded the UI modification code before I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    We'd love to, they just don't want to work with us.
    The P++ population mod is for the vanilla game, with the compatibility for DeI and VV being a side goal. If it is ported to Attila, especially considering Litherion is a main team member, then I doubt that there would be an issue with AE using it (as it's foremost a vanilla project instead of being tied to any particular mod). I cannot give a confident 100% answer if P++ would allow it, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    What!? Thats fast may i ask why he quite? finally a good scripter that shows some great progress to only stop some months/weeks later "really a shame" because of the possibilities he could create with scripting for AE.
    I quit due to conflicts with another team member.
    Last edited by Causeless; March 08, 2016 at 08:20 PM.
    modificateurs sans frontičres

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

It seems like this populous mod would be something that Ancient Empires and Fall of the Eagle could greatly benefit from. As well as the amazing work that the Medieval Kingdom Total War guys are dojng

So don't throw the baby out with the bath water

@ Causeless: Great to hear you're still around.

Quote Originally Posted by COWMAN55 View Post
    It seems like this populous mod would be something that Ancient Empires and Fall of the Eagle could greatly benefit from. As well as the amazing work that the Medieval Kingdom Total War guys are dojng

So don't throw the baby out with the bath water
    I suspect AE will find some solution, considering Litharion is on the team, and he co-developed P++. They could port P++ to Attila for use within AE.

They also could adapt the code I've written (again under the condition that all code I've written is fully accredited in the source code and I am credited as a contributor on the mod), assuming that the situation does not change.

However, I have no idea about the option AE will ultimately choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking1978 View Post
    @ Causeless: Great to hear you're still around.
    I'll try to keep up on Attila modding to some capacity. Conflict with AE isn't enough to make me quit modding... Honestly, I initially joined AE out of interest for the battle scripting and large-scale true AI modding that was allegedly being done... Which turned out to be completely false. This isn't why I left the team, though. I was modding before AE and will probably mod after...
    Last edited by Causeless; March 10, 2016 at 05:27 PM.

(scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Default Re: [CAMPAIGN] Manpower System for Ancient Empires, By Causeless

Hello, I'm here to announce an update on Ancient Empires's manpower system. I am now creating the manpower system, based off of my own previous code which I have kept updated for use in Medieval Kingdoms.

A public usable release has not been created yet, but hopefully we should see an implementation in when AE releases with a campaign. For any modders who are interested in exploring the code or helping, you can find the full source code online here, under the GPL v3.

That's all for now. I'll be updating and showing more work here when it is at a suitable stage.
    Just wanted to give a message on what's going on here.

We regret that Hardballer has left the mod. Causeless has rejoined the team and will be implementing his manpower script. Thanks.
    Last edited by ABH2; January 04, 2017 at 08:40 AM.

Hello guys

I was wanting to gauge community input on what sort of UI they'd want. Would you guys prefer a UI like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Or like this?:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Obviously neither of these images adequately represent what they'd ideally look like. The upper one, for example, would certainly show a lot more information up-front instead of just population values like that, as well as hopefully looking nicer in the end. The lower one would have some way of showing extra info in the tooltip.

For both UI systems, hovering over the values would display more in-depth population information than is shown here, of course.

Generally speaking, what I'm asking is whether you guys would prefer a UI that highlights the manpower mechanic at the forefront, or whether you would want a UI which keeps the manpower system generally fairly low key? I'm mostly hovering around a system in the middle.

To have the manpower system obviously and clearly present itself, especially to new players who are unaware about the manpower script, would be good, but could go too far. It might distract too much and draw too much attention. Obviously it's fairly ugly, too, right now.

The lower system with just a simple icon on the settlement UI fits the vanilla game better, but I have other concerns there. Do you guys think the lower image keeps hides the mechanic too much? I fear that it could be easy to forget or otherwise ignore.
    Last edited by Causeless; January 04, 2017 at 08:47 PM.

first screenshot would be great for population information.

Yeah I really like the breakdown in population information (first image). Adds to the role playing immersion of seeing my little Romans colonize and multiply XD

Second one - it fits perfectly the vanilla game and doesn´t draw too much attention. Btw; awesome work, Causeless!

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

I think the first screenshot is better. An important mechanic like manpower deserves to be highlighted, especially as it's something that isn't present in the original game, and hence many players will likely be unfamiliar with it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Definitely the first one. This extended information about a population visible upfront gives is a logical supplement to actual overview of the city state. IMO there is no point to unfold that info by the mouse hover only.

My vote goes for the first one Gives a better and quicker look

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

First one seems okay. Going for that one.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Yes first one looks far more in depth!

Causeless, could in depth info be added to the city detail page? Or is that info pane fairly un modable?

That would mean basic at a glance info from main screen, but then by going to province details more in depth numbers (like Noble pleb classes etc if your still planning these?)

Quote Originally Posted by klunny10 View Post
    Yes first one looks far more in depth!

Causeless, could in depth info be added to the city detail page? Or is that info pane fairly un modable?

That would mean basic at a glance info from main screen, but then by going to province details more in depth numbers (like Noble pleb classes etc if your still planning these?)
    Showing info there is a great idea!

It should hopefully be moddable, but we'll see. Separate classes are planned.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

IIRC some of PoR´s script is based on your work and their script AFAIK can use more than their 4 classes,
    wouldn´t the scripting part be pretty portable, with only the UI stuff being unresolved?

Do note that I have no idea about scripting and what it entails, I just looked into the PoR scripts once for some unrelated submodding,
    IIRC there they had 12 population classes per region potentially.

Anyways, thx Causeless for again taking up this important part of AE!
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    IIRC some of PoR´s script is based on your work and their script AFAIK can use more than their 4 classes,
    wouldn´t the scripting part be pretty portable, with only the UI stuff being unresolved?

Do note that I have no idea about scripting and what it entails, I just looked into the PoR scripts once for some unrelated submodding,
    IIRC there they had 12 population classes per region potentially.

Anyways, thx Causeless for again taking up this important part of AE!
    PoR2 is fantastic and it's really excited to see the mod in DeI. For Ancient Empires, though, the PoR2 script isn't suitable for Attila, both due to changes between R2/Attila scripting, changes in the manpower design (their script is hardcoded for 4 populations classes per region, the tables allow for up to 16 but only the first 4 are used), and other changes such as hordes support.

After I left AE I continued working on manpower (slowly) over the course of 2016. Due to this, it isn't all that far behind.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast