Thread: A general guide to this game or a list of events would be useful

Default A general guide to this game or a list of events would be useful

Hello, first off I would like to say when i first started off playing this game some time ago i was completely lost over the scale of the map and how confusing everything was. I understand everything is historically correct, however it's pointless if people are dazzled by all this information overload because they will not be able to appreciate all this hard work put into accuracy.
    But things are fine now, for me at least. I figured out the nature of the map and of how this game works so far. To add to the confusion, it seems the map wasn't made to be geographically accurate but was made to represent the image of the world on maps of the period. It still is a great mod though.

What I was wishing, is that maybe there should make some sort of guide for new players. I would very much like to see a list of the unique events and scripts made for the mod.

For example when do you get attacked by an emergent faction, and when do they emerge?
    Are there any regions that exchange hands through an event?
    Any diplomatic changes happening through events?
    Will you get automatically called in the war when the 30 years war begins?
    What about supply?Is there a guide to supply and how it works? I only figured it out the hard way, unfortunately..
    How do you regenerate supply after your army has the starvation trait? If I separate the general, will the troops no longer be handicapped?
    I noticed as the French you start with a 5 unit supply wagon in the capital. What do they do? Do the wagons fight in battle?Most important what buildings are needed for you to train them?

I accepted the religious toleration event. I'm still unsure, but I think it destroyed my ability for me to build churches. Why isn't the player informed of the effects of your decision in the event messages? I accidentally discovered in the maze of buildings that I had a catholic cathedral in Kalmar as Sweden. After that there was hardly much I could do and suffered rising religious unrest even though I started out as 100% protestant. I had to abandon my Sweden campaign after all the hard work because I was afraid of even worse events coming without me knowing their consequences.

Also I'm somewhat confused on how sieges work. What kind of cannons and caliber are necessary for you to do damage on walls? The leadercannone wouldn't even do a 1% damage on the city's wooden gate. Most important how do the cannon towers work? It seemed they don't work with garrisoning troops. Even when I routed the enemy from the walls the towers would continue to fire and there was no way to stop them! In other words, by the end of the battle I had suffered huge loses with my big army against a city that just had just 2 units.
    I would also like to commend the modders for their hard work in making the city walls with new bastion style custom props. Modifying siege maps is the hardest task in a TW game in my opinion, so well done However they are still quite glitchy and it should be looked into.

I'm also confused over some of the decisions made for making the map. I find it very strange indeed on how huge chunks of the map are controlled by a single city with 20 mini forts and at the same time there are tiny regions with a single city controlling them. Was the map made in this fashion to represent some sort of historical events maybe? What is the free upkeep while garrisoned limit? Do I actually need to bother training lots and lots of units to garrison all the forts? Is the game's strategy focused on fort battles? should there be a guide or some hints at least for that too?

Just so I conclude, I wanted to set these questions to be considered. What I would very much like to see if we could perhaps make a sticky thread explaining the game's features to new players. It would sure be useful

Default Re: A general guide to this game or a list of events would be useful

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Some of that has been discussed in various posts. I do not think anyone has the time to write a guide of this kind. Most modders involved in producing the game are no longer active and some of the features come from other mods (the supply script for example).

Some factions start at war at game start, others not.

Emergent factions emerge as a result of various events or if some factions are completely destroyed (Spain for example).

The religious tolerance event should not affect your ability to build churches. It mainly allows you to improve income through a new type of "building" available. It will slow down the conversion of your population to you religion. You can use priests to keep your regions in your favoured religion, destroy churches of the religion you do not prefer and replace them with your favourite type. Religious unrest will happen now and then regardless of whether you have a religious toleration policy, although I do not think that with 100% Protestant population you could get religious unrest. Your religious policy and various events can influence the chances of religious unrest.

Forts are mainly useful for free upkeep (5 units of any kind).

Artillery is useless against star forts but heavy artillery should be capable of breaking down gates. To take a settlement you will likely have to take the walls, as it happened historically. But entering through broken down gates is also an option.

Regions are the way they are for historical reasons.

Hey thanks for the reply Geoffrey, also I forgot to mention about religion. See what happened in Kalmar was, there was a catholic cathedral and even though i had started the game in that region with 100% Protestantism it was converting the region to Catholicism. All this i noticed after i accepted religious tolerance. I couldn't build a protestant cathedral there or in any city, i checked all of them. Even though when I was randomly browsing buildings some turns before the event my eye did catch one city where I could build one.

The issue was I felt I couldn't stop the conversion. I thought maybe if I destroyed the catholic cathedral the protestant one would become available. BUT when I went to destroy it the destruction button was grayed out saying "You cannot destroy this type of building". That was the 'oh what have I done' moment and I simply decided to stop playing. For some reason I thought I did that with the event but I wasn't sure. That's why I came to the forums to ask. However there was a protestant community you could build. I don't know if that is the new type of building you were talking about.

It's a shame no modders or anybody wants to bother. That means there is no one to ask, I really thought that this mod was still active. Still though you still didn't explain much about the tolerance event and what it actually does or why it even happens. Maybe you don't wanna spoil it for me or something. I never thought that perhaps you guys might not want to say to people like me on how everything works. If that is so it's ok..

Quote Originally Posted by oorestis View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply Geoffrey, also I forgot to mention about religion. See what happened in Kalmar was, there was a catholic cathedral and even though i had started the game in that region with 100% Protestantism it was converting the region to Catholicism. All this i noticed after i accepted religious tolerance. I couldn't build a protestant cathedral there or in any city, i checked all of them. Even though when I was randomly browsing buildings some turns before the event my eye did catch one city where I could build one.

The issue was I felt I couldn't stop the conversion. I thought maybe if I destroyed the catholic cathedral the protestant one would become available. BUT when I went to destroy it the destruction button was grayed out saying "You cannot destroy this type of building". That was the 'oh what have I done' moment and I simply decided to stop playing. For some reason I thought I did that with the event but I wasn't sure. That's why I came to the forums to ask. However there was a protestant community you could build. I don't know if that is the new type of building you were talking about.

It's a shame no modders or anybody wants to bother. That means there is no one to ask, I really thought that this mod was still active. Still though you still didn't explain much about the tolerance event and what it actually does or why it even happens. Maybe you don't wanna spoil it for me or something. I never thought that perhaps you guys might not want to say to people like me on how everything works. If that is so it's ok.
    Yes to a degree that is so, games are fun because of the learning curve and when you have learned a lot they become less exciting. On the other hand games can also be frustrating when you make big mistakes that ruin your game and you have to start all over again, especially a campaign that takes weeks or months to finish. Many things in the mod have a modder behind them and the modder is not always active. In some cases, the modder has borrowed scripts from another mod (with permission). Supply is borrowed from Byg's Grim Reality Mod. That mod has gone through several revisions and although there is a guide in the link, that guide may no longer apply to the version we have, which may even have some small changes. The economy script also has aspects that were unexpected perhaps because of the engine and the mechanics seem to vary depending on the faction in ways that even the modder did not seem aware of. Taking into account that some of the modders are no longer active and may no longer remember all the ins and outs, mysteries are for the player to solve. I also have to learn things at times the hard way.

I forgot that you cannot destroy religious buildings in 1648. I do not think that has anything to do with the religious tolerance event. However, by building the Protestant line of buildings and if your leader is pious and you have priests in the affected region, you reinforce your favoured religious denomination. I checked my Swedish campaign, where I have also accepted the religious tolerance event. Kalmar currently has a Catholic collegiate church (not a cathedral) and a Protestant church with 7% of the population being Catholic and 90% Protestant. So it is not such a big problem.

A Catholic cathedral has an additional conversion ability compared to a collegiate church, so it is better if things do not get that far. Still, life is like this. There are still for example Christians living in Egypt, 14 centuries after the country was conquered by the Arabs. To expect to convert the religious faith of the population within months or years would be unrealistic.