Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Can we rule the world? New info on regional occupation.

Default Can we rule the world? New info on regional occupation.

So, My favorite part in 3rd age total war was (as the Dwarves) after taking over all of the misty mountains and colonizing Mordor that I could finally turn my armies on those pesky elves as well as turn my sights on the humans and eventually create a Dwarven Middle Earth. I never actually finished a campaign in third age where I had the whole map but one of my favorite sieges was taking Helms Deep from a huge Rohan stack.

So, with that point.. After i dispatch the greenskins will I be able to take my Dwarven armies to the Empire and lay siege to some Empire cities. Or even attack the Undead and join up with my Imperial allies against them. I keep hearing something that you will not be able to attack certain factions??? (Like Dwarves only fight orcs) but then I also hear that you can only occupy certain swaths of the map? (at the saem time I saw a video where a dwarf settlement was occupied by orcs and it changed the look of the city so if that mechanic is in there why am I hearing these rumors)... I am curious because in total war games I like to go against history a bit. I mean I have never been told "No, Charlemange, Your kingdom never expanded into Scotland, you MUST fight in southern Italy and Gaul... ??

So does anyone have a solid or valid answer on who or what we will be able to take for any given faction?

~ Official answer: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regional_Occupation_Blog ~ (HigoChumbo. Jan. 19th.)

The black and green shaded areas in the north are Norsca, the blue indicates the mountains and Badlands with Holds that Greenskins and Dwarfs can own, and the white areas are regions that all the other races and factions find hospitable.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 20, 2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: edited for visibility and to avoid creating another thread on the same topic.

Default Re: I cannot find a strait answer so I am going to ask outright. Can we rule the world?

"Just to clear up a small bit of confusion:
    -If you can occupy a piece of territory, then you can raze that territory and resettle it later, much like in Attila.
    -If you can not occupy a piece of territory, then you can raze it but not resettle it (because you can't occupy it)
    -If you can not occupy a piece of territory and you raze it, the enemy AI can come back and resettle it.
    Stay tuned for the blog to go more in depth with that next week."
    Flag ·
    This is from CA darren

Default Re: I cannot find a strait answer so I am going to ask outright. Can we rule the world?

I think (from CA's announcements and lore-wise) that there will be the following limitations:

All faction's can go to war against every other faction (even empire and dwarfs).

I even believe you might find yourself fighting civil wars as any of the faction's to gain control (altdorf fighting against averheim perhaps).

I think you can move your armies to wherever you wish.

I think once you take a settlement, your options are the same as in Attila except that some options are greyed out for certain regions. I don't think you can occupy the empire as dwarfs. Sack them? Yes. Raze them? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by darkterren View Post
    "Just to clear up a small bit of confusion:
    -If you can occupy a piece of territory, then you can raze that territory and resettle it later, much like in Attila.
    -If you can not occupy a piece of territory, then you can raze it but not resettle it (because you can't occupy it)
    -If you can not occupy a piece of territory and you raze it, the enemy AI can come back and resettle it.
    Stay tuned for the blog to go more in depth with that next week."
    Flag ·
    This is from CA darren
    Do you have a link for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Person012345 View Post
    Do you have a link for this?
    Honestly I'm lazy and I'm on a phone at work and took a while just to copy and paste from the official total war fourm which was a copy and paste from a Reddit post that Darren posted it. If i remeber when i get home on my comp anf no one posted it i will
    Last edited by darkterren; January 15, 2016 at 06:20 PM.

Alright, I found it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...er_resettling/

There, if anyone is interested.

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

To me, this sounds like a way to make certain factions permanent threats; so as the Empire, you can go conquer and raze the Badlands, but the Greenskins will eventually come back and reemerge as a threat. Same for the Warriors of Chaos. CA could have just imposed harsh penalties and made stacks spawn in certain areas, but it would only work in the case of Greenskins-Empire resettling. Dwarves are very unwilling to settle in any place with a sky (so no Dwarf resettlement of Empire/Vampire cities) and Vampires have no use for Greenskins and Dwarves (no Vampire resettlement of Karaks/camps).

Holy this might be the first total war I do not buy unless modders can fix this. Thank you guys for the responses and I need to wait for the Dev interview on it for me to make a final decision but not being able to occupy HUMAN lands as a DWARF is maddening. I can maybe understand undead but still you would strive to rebuild the land and hope the nature grows back too.. Why would a Dwarf occupy some Orc tribal town but be forced to destroy a giant stone fortress that was built by the Empire. This design decision does not make sense to me so maybe I need to wait for the Dev response.

Lordinvicus I can understand the point... maybe making the game more dynamic.. so you defend your land as the Empire for X amount of years, get the guts to raise an army and invade the orcs.. you destroy everything you can and go back home. Years go by, you fight wars with separatists, defend against vampire counts.. then out of the wastelands rise another orc army.. makes for a never ending game... HOWEVER what if you as the empire want to colonize orc lands? colonize dwarf cities (Like in Skyrim Marakarth or whatever... the Nords loved living in that thing)... we just.. can't? seems like a design flaw... this a storyline game or a total war game?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    To me, this sounds like a way to make certain factions permanent threats; so as the Empire, you can go conquer and raze the Badlands, but the Greenskins will eventually come back and reemerge as a threat. Same for the Warriors of Chaos. CA could have just imposed harsh penalties and made stacks spawn in certain areas, but it would only work in the case of Greenskins-Empire resettling. Dwarves are very unwilling to settle in any place with a sky (so no Dwarf resettlement of Empire/Vampire cities) and Vampires have no use for Greenskins and Dwarves (no Vampire resettlement of Karaks/camps).
    That's not completely true. The Dwarfs build above ground in the valleys. They just don't feel secure there and need a Karak nearby. Queen of Silver Depths had a city in the bowl of the eight mountains, ringed with walls and towers, their palaces however lay in the mountains around the valley and their mines stretched below the city. Likewise some enterprising Dwarfs live in the lowlands of the Empire and elsewhere, such as Josef Bugman (imperial name) although they're considered a strange folk.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Vanders's Avatar Civis

Additionally, destroying an entire city and presumably slaughtering innocent civilians doesn't seem like a Dwarf thing to do (unlike maybe Chaos Dwarves) though you should still have that choice.

I feel like there should be an option to subjugate the population and create vassal states for factions and sub factions where that would make sense ie Empire provinces and smaller states. Even Sylvania considering there are average people living there (consequences may apply given the previous owners however).

Honestly however, I think taking territory just needs to be an option as well rather than just rendering and entire geographical area desolate being one's only option.
    Last edited by Vanders; January 19, 2016 at 12:47 AM.

I think if there's enough to do in the game that you don't feel the need to conquer the planet to feel like you enjoy the game, then it'll be fine.

The thing I worry about most is getting to face every army in war. How will the orcs get to fight wars with vampire counts? Why would they? They can't gain those territories anyhow. Killing vampires just gives empire a boost.

and someday when they add elves, how will vampires or dwarfs invade ulthuan? How will they ever even fight the elves?

Now i'd be fine if there's a way for you to fight these faction's (and advantages in doing so) but it'll still be weird.

Well, Dwarves killing elves settles grudges, so there could be major advantages there. Brettonians launching a successful crusade brings prestige, so that would be a thing. I can only imagine that a lot of offensive endeavors would be mission based. What concerns me more is if they expand the map and the factions, if we keep the duality expansion mechanic, the map will be very crowded. High elves vrs Dark elves is a natural opposition, but who would oppose Skaven? Brettonians? Tomb Kings? Some races don't have obvious natural enemies, others have too many.

The nemesis system isn't a dualistic thing. In fact, the nemesis system doesn't even exist. It's a made up term! Essentially, Dwarfs and O&G can conquer any mountain provinces + Badlands, whereas the Empire + VC can conquer any human inhabited province. It's not dualistic b/c that means that e.g: the Empire can conquer not just it's nemesis, but also Brettonia, Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, The Border Princes, (maybe) Norsca and Marienburg. Similarly, in other games adding other areas of the map, it will most likely be able to conquer all of the human colonies in say, the Southlands when that's added. So it's not like you'll lack any places to expand when other parts of the map are added...

It should look a bit like this:

And if you're chaos, your mission is notto create a large empire. It's to destroy everyone else's. Raze every settlement on the map, basically

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Aren't dwarves suppose to live in the mountains not the badlands?

Maybe dwarves can't actually conquer and colonize the badlands, because they're kind of mountains only type people

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emcdunna View Post
    And if you're chaos, your mission is notto create a large empire. It's to destroy everyone else's. Raze every settlement on the map, basically
    Is that confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Is that confirmed?
    Either way WoC are the only faction where I can see no actual will to occupy settlements and just raze everything. The lore absolutely supports the inability to occupy settlements for them. All the other races the lore doesn't really support this complete inability.

Warriors of chaos will basically be like the huns from attila. They'll be a horde who loot and raze your territories, corrupt your lands, and be a constant and increasing threat. They won't be some big empire that you bump ugglies with on occasion, or own lovely territories for you to conquer and subjugate

Quote Originally Posted by C.Maximus View Post
    Holy this might be the first total war I do not buy unless modders can fix this. Thank you guys for the responses and I need to wait for the Dev interview on it for me to make a final decision but not being able to occupy HUMAN lands as a DWARF is maddening. I can maybe understand undead but still you would strive to rebuild the land and hope the nature grows back too.. Why would a Dwarf occupy some Orc tribal town but be forced to destroy a giant stone fortress that was built by the Empire. This design decision does not make sense to me so maybe I need to wait for the Dev response.

Lordinvicus I can understand the point... maybe making the game more dynamic.. so you defend your land as the Empire for X amount of years, get the guts to raise an army and invade the orcs.. you destroy everything you can and go back home. Years go by, you fight wars with separatists, defend against vampire counts.. then out of the wastelands rise another orc army.. makes for a never ending game... HOWEVER what if you as the empire want to colonize orc lands? colonize dwarf cities (Like in Skyrim Marakarth or whatever... the Nords loved living in that thing)... we just.. can't? seems like a design flaw... this a storyline game or a total war game?
    Well, a lot of the Orc settlements are actually former Dwarf holds that were taken from the Dwarfs thousands of years ago.

That being said, it would be nice if CA just put in an option to make all settlements conquerable.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast