Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated November 26, 2017]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated March 19, 2017]

Thanks, Caillagh and TSK! You are both right, this was a period of calm before a gathering storm ...

Chapter Fifteen

As Mabon’s war-band marched north to find the Ebdani raiders, he noticed the clouds moving ahead, as if they were showing the way. A warm wind blows from the south, he thought, even in winter. It was true: as they marched north, the skies turned dark, rain poured down and the snow melted. The lack of snow would make it harder to track the raiders, but Blaidd’s keen eyes soon picked up their trail.

As Mabon’s riders passed an abandoned hill-fort, Blaidd called out to him, pointing to a point on the horizon.

“Do you see, Mabon? There!”

The raiders were marching up the hill, perhaps to seek shelter in the hill-fort.

This was just a small raiding party, compared to the large army which Mabon’s warriors had ambushed.

“This will be easy!” shouted Mabon.

“Perhaps too easy?” suggested Blaidd.

“You have a sharp mind, as well as keen eyes!” replied Mabon. “This could be a trap, to draw us into an ambush. We will ride ahead, while our swordsmen, spearmen and slingers approach the raiders who we can see from here.”

Mabon’s riders passed the raiders and viewed the horizon in every direction, looking for any sign of more enemies.

No further enemies were visible. He watched as Rhiannon led the infantry in a charge. The raiders held for just a few moments, before they were overwhelmed. Mabon led his riders in pursuit of the fleeing enemies.

After the chase, he found Rhiannon kneeling by a dying Ebdani swordsmen. She was speaking softly to him, holding his hand as his life ebbed away. Mabon dismounted and approached.

Rhiannon told Mabon, “This Ebdani warrior told me that he hated the Ebdani nobles who are leading the raiders on our lands and seizing our people as sacrifices. He is ashamed of what the raiders were doing. He only followed them in fear that his family would be sacrificed, if he did not. There are villages in Ireland who would rise up against the Ebdani, if they had support from outside and if they believe that they could win.”

Mabon said, “We could use the ships which the Ebdani used to land their army to transport our warriors to Ireland – we could lead the people against the King and end these raids!”

Rhiannon agreed with him.

“Did he tell you which tribe has allied with the Ebdani against us?” asked Mabon.

Rhiannon shook her head and gently reached out to close the eyes of the Ebdani warrior.

After this victory, Mabon’s war-band marched south, towards Moridunon. They stopped to rest for a night at the druids’ village. Cigfa, the chief druid, was delighted to hear that the raiders had been defeated and the whole village celebrated this victory with their guests. Late that night, Cigfa took Mabon aside. Mabon was feeling safe and relaxed after leading warriors on long marches and into battle. He had eaten well and he had drunk deeply of the druids’ delightful, warming mead. But what Cigfa had to say made him feel sober, rapidly.

“I had a message from the gods, on the night that you left to fight the raiders”, she said. "They showed you and Rhiannon marching into the hall of the King of the Ebdani and slaying him. They showed you marching up to the temple of the Morrigan in the city of the Ebdani, and burning that temple to ashes.”

Mabon had not told Cigfa of the plan which he and Rhiannon had agreed, so this was a surprise – and it sounded like good news, their plan would succeed. But what Cigfa told him next shocked him.

“You must not go there! The gods warned me of the fate of the Silures, the Demetae and all of the tribes of Britons, if you go. Silent warriors will come from the south. They will be many, but they will fight as if they were one man. They will march under birds of prey with fierce claws and shining eyes. They have a terrible purpose. They cannot be defeated. You must not go!”

Shaken by this disturbing news, Mabon found Rhiannon and pulled her away from a group of swordsmen who were telling stories of their brave deeds. Rhiannon listened calmly to Mabon’s report of what Cigfa had predicted.

“The chief druids have advised the Kings of our tribes for generations,” said Rhiannon. “When I was a child, I heard druids advising my father, the King. They usually provide their advice in the form of a story or a prophecy. It is up to us to work out the message which their story or prediction is meant to convey.”

Mabon said, “I understand how the druids would worry, if our best warriors all crossed the sea to Ireland. Our tribes would be vulnerable to attack. We have seen how the people of local villages fled from the raiders, seeking refuge in the druids’ village. The druids have a few swordsmen, but they could not fight a large raiding band on their own.”

Rhiannon replied. “When we return to Moridunon, we should send word to Dagomaros, general of the Iceni. If we inform him of our plan, perhaps he will send men to defend our lands, while we are gone? If he does that, then we will have heeded Cigfa’s warning.”

Mabon nodded and smiled. At that moment, an exhausted-looking man arrived and almost fell from his horse.

The exhausted man spoke, “Where are Rhiannon of the Demetae and Mabon of the Silures? I must find them, I have urgent news from Moridunon!”

Rhiannon called to one of her men, “Bring food and mead for this messenger! Take care of his horse. Now, sit down and tell us what has brought you here in such a hurry.”

The messenger said, “It was the Ebdani! We saw their ships and we thought that we only had to defend the harbour.”

The messenger continued, “We only had a few men, Queen Cerridwen’s household guards and a few old men and boys who volunteered to defend our homes. But the Ebdani surprised us! They had warriors coming in to Moridunon from the land as well as the sea! Our men were surrounded and cut down. Only a few of us escaped. Moridunon has fallen!”
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 02, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated April 2, 2017]

That's a very dramatic ending!

Moridunon has fallen... what will Mabon (and his friends) do now?

And even if the Iceni will defend against the prophesied warriors, I'm still slightly worried. They sound oddly familiar...

Knowing that there are Ebdani village who would rebel if they had support is valuable information, I wonder if it going to be of use to Mabon. Moridunon has fallen, this is terrible news - what is going to happen next? And the Silent Warriors from the south sounds intriguing!

Thanks, Caillagh and theSilentKiller. Yes, they have acquired valuable information which could be of vital importance. We're about to discover what Mabon and his friends did next...

Chapter Sixteen

“If Moridunon has fallen to the Ebdani, then we shall take it back! We must assemble the men and leave immediately!” said Rhiannon.

“Wait,” said Mabon, “we need to take time to think. Our men are drunk from celebrating their victory and we have no plan.”

“Our plan is that we will march on Moridunon and make those raiders wish they had never been born!” replied Rhiannon. “We do not know whether my sister, Queen Cerridwen, is alive or dead. If your brother’s lands had fallen to the enemy, you would not want to wait!”

“You are right, Rhiannon,” said Blaidd. “Mabon would want to charge in, if his brother Rhys was in danger. He would not wait to discover how many men the enemy had, or whether an attack would lead to victory or disaster. If Rhys was in danger, then you and I would have had to hold back Mabon and make him think ahead, rather than rushing in.”

The three of them rode to Moridunon, wearing grey cloaks with hoods to hide their features and arriving as the sun was setting. What they found worried them. The Ebdani force was several times the size of the war-band led by Mabon and Rhiannon. Mabon and Rhiannon stayed overnight in a hamlet inhabited by loyal Demetae farmers, who greeted Rhiannon warmly.

They returned despondently to the druids’ village. As they approached the village, they were disturbed to see a column of warriors arriving. Most of these men carried spears and a few had swords. Mabon was relieved when he saw a commander wearing the golden-yellow cloak of Iceni noblemen. As Rhiannon and Mabon dismounted in the village’s central square, they found the chief druid, Cigfa, greeting a handsome man who Mabon did not recognise.

Cigfa introduced them. “Cotos, this is Mabon of the Silures and Rhiannon of the Demetae. They raised a war-band from the tribes of this region to protect the people from the Ebdani raiders. Mabon and Rhiannon, this is Cotos, commander of the army of Adiatorix.”

Cotos greeted Mabon and Rhiannon warmly, “It is an honour to meet two such famous warriors. Bards and druids are writing songs and stories about your heroic victory against the Ebdani.”

“It is too soon to write songs of victory,” said Rhiannon, and told Cotos about the fall of Moridunon.

“You command the army of Adiatorix,” said Mabon, “is King Adiatorix here?”

Cotos looked troubled. “An assassin tried to take the King’s life. He did not succeed, but the King was wounded. The King put me in command and returned to Camulodunon to recover.”

“Who tried to take the life of the King?” asked Mabon.

“I do not know. The assassin was a stranger and he was killed by the King’s guards during the attempt on the King’s life. Perhaps he was sent by the Ebdani or their allies?” replied Cotos.

“Is the King safe? Whoever sent one assassin might send more,” asked Rhiannon.

“I did what I could. I chose the finest swordsmen from my army and sent them to accompany the nobles who guard the King,” replied Cotos.

“What will you do now?” asked Rhiannon.

“The King told me to complete the task he was coming here to do," said Cotos, "to end the raids by the Ebdani against your people’s lands. Meanwhile, the King’s brother, Dagomaros, is marching his army south.”

“The lands south of here are Dumnonii territory. Is Dagomaros starting a war against the Dumnonii?” asked Mabon.

“There is war between the Iceni and the Dumnonii,” replied Cotos, “but the Iceni did not begin it. The Dumnonii have allied with the Ebdani in their war against us. If your war-band had not defeated the Ebdani army which landed, they would have fought alongside the army of the Dumnonii. Combined, their forces might have had the strength to defeat the armies of Adiatorix and Dagomaros.”

“If our war-band joins with the army of Adiatorix, then we will have the strength to defeat the Ebdani at Moridunon,” said Rhiannon.

“We could surprise them, as they surprised us,” suggested Mabon. “If our war-band approached Moridunon from the sea, then the Ebdani might send their warriors to defend the Moridunon’s harbour. The army of Adiatorix could strike a decisive blow from the land.”

Mabon’s war-band rowed their ships towards Moridunon under a clear blue sky. No fog or rain hid their approach, so they were seen by an Ebdani lookout when they were mere dots on the horizon. Soon, Ebdani warriors were setting out to sea in their own ships, ready to meet Mabon’s warriors.

Mabon had hoped that his approach from the sea would cause the Ebdani to focus their attention on the ships carrying his war-band. He had hoped that this would allow the army of Adiatorix to reach Moridunon’s streets without being seen, to surprise the enemy. However, instead of the enemy being caught unawares, the army of Adiatorix were surprised by the heavy sound of horses’ hooves striking the ground, as a company of Ebdani noblemen struck from behind.

Last edited by Alwyn; April 09, 2017 at 09:19 AM.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated April 9, 2017]

Hmmm. I'm beginning to sense a theme here. You're hoping next year's WS Yearly Awards will include the category "Best Screenshot of Some Ships", aren't you?
    (That is another nice one... )

You've given us another dramatic chapter, what with the assassination attempt and the sneak attack gone wrong. I hope Adiatorix and his army will be able to cope with the Ebdani cavalry (and whatever other Ebdani troops might be about to catch up with them).

A failed surprise attack that might cost Adiatorix' and an almost assassinated king... Why are some noble men randomly, in full gear, riding around the country side right when our heroes attempt a sneak attack. Maybe just coincidence but still ominous . Anyway, can't wait to find our if Adiatorix managed to fend them off!

Thanks, Caillagh and theSilentKiller! (Ah, good idea about a category of 'Best Screenshot of Some Ships'! I think it could be a bit more specific, though ... maybe 'Best Screenshot of Some Ships in an Iceni AAR'? ) We are about to find out whether the army of Adiatorix (under their new commander, Cotos) can handle the Ebdani attack. Yes, TSK, it does seem like a remarkable coincidence that Ebdani noblemen were out riding just when the Iceni attempted a sneak attack!

Chapter Seventeen

The Ebdani heavy cavalry had concealed themselves by riding through the edge of a forest, circling round beyond the Iceni infantry and catching them from behind. The Ebdani horsemen smashed hard into the Iceni infantry, who had not had time to brace themselves. Most of the men in this Iceni army were farmers and craftsmen with spears, not seasoned warriors.

If the Ebdani infantry in Moridunon had charged the front of the Iceni army at the same moment as the cavalry charge, then the Iceni infantry would have been under attack on both sides. But the Ebdani infantry had left the streets of Moridunon. When the lookout had warned them that Iceni ships were approaching, the Ebdani infantry had run to the harbour. Instead of running to support the attack by their heavy cavalry, they were running to board their ships.

The Iceni spearmen led by Cotos wore no armour. Their lack of armour enabled them to run fast. They quickly surrounded the Ebdani heavy cavalry. Their long spears were the ideal weapon for striking at the enemy horsemen. Seeing the heavy cavalry surrounded, an Ebdani messenger ran to the harbour and sounded a horn, calling the Ebdani ships to return to the harbour.

Mabon did not know what was happening on the far side of Moridunon. He saw the Ebdani ships leaving the harbour to meet the ships carrying his war-band. He heard the blast of the horn and saw the Ebdani ships turning back to the shore. Mabon could only wait anxiously, as the ships carrying his warriors approached the harbour slowly. Their lack of experience in crewing ships was showing. If I survive this battle, thought Mabon, I must recommend to Cotos that we train some warriors to fight on ships. His plan depended on the Ebdani being divided between fighting two different force: the army led by Cotos, approaching from the land side, and Mabon’s war-band, approaching from the sea.

On the other side of Moridunon, the nimble Iceni spearmen sent the Ebdani heavy cavalry running. After re-forming his infantry line, Cotos marched his army into Moridunon and found the enemy infantry returning from the harbour. Despite their lack of experience, the Iceni spearmen held their ground. Due to their lack of armour, they paid a heavy price, suffering many casualties.

When Mabon’s warriors arrived at last, they charged into the melee. Now,the Ebdani infantry were exhausted and under attack from both sides. Mabon’s men were fresh and many of them were from the Demetae tribe. Mabon’s Demetae warriors were determined to avenge the old men and boys who had died trying to defend Moridunon from the Ebdani. Seeing that they had no hope of victory or escape, the surviving Ebdani men threw down their weapons and surrendered.

When he met Cotos after the battle, Mabon was shocked to see how many Iceni men had been injured or killed. If only my war-band had landed earlier, he thought, this could have been prevented. When Cotos told him about the attack of the Ebdani heavy cavalry, he felt worse.

“If only my riders had remained with your army, we could have scouted ahead and warned you of this attack,” Mabon said.

“Perhaps,” replied Cotos, “but a general is responsible for the army he leads - and I command here. I should have recruited some scout riders. I am more concerned that the Ebdani heavy cavalry struck without warning from behind. It was as if they knew we were approaching! How could they have known? Your friend Rhiannon is the sister of Cerridwen, Queen of the Demetae, is she not? Cerridwen has been missing since the Ebdani captured Moridunon. Perhaps the Ebdani are holding Cerridwen hostage and forcing Rhiannon to spy for them?”

“Rhiannon would not betray us, I would trust her with my life!” said Mabon. He had not realised that this was true until he said it. Planning his battles with Rhiannon, and fighting alongside her, he had come to depend on her. “If you wish, my horsemen and I will train scout riders for your army, so that you will never be surprised like this again.”

“I am grateful for your offer,” said Cotos, “but I might have a better use for you and your brave warriors. The Iceni have defended against Ebdani raids for long enough. It is time to take the fight onto their lands. But your war-band is small and my army has suffered many losses. How can we defeat our enemy? You raised your war-band from the local tribes, could you recruit more men from them?”

Mabon said, “Rhiannon told me that she spoke with a dying Ebdani warrior who said that he only took part in the raids because he was afraid that his family would be sacrificed if he did not. He told me that many villages in Ireland only obey the King of the Ebdani out of fear. If our small war-band landed, we could persuade them to join us and march to Eblana, then our combined force could defeat them.”

It was agreed that they would use Mabon’s plan. The small war-band led by Mabon and Rhiannon landed on a remote beach in southern Ireland. Ebdani warriors, hoping to be freed from the threat of sacrifice to the Ebdani war-goddess known as the Morrigan, joined them eagerly. As they approached Eblana, the city of the Ebdani, the keen eyes of Blaidd spotted enemy slingers coming ashore from a ship, to attack their flank.

Mabon’s horsemen rode quickly to scatter the slingers. But the enemy had cavalry too and they rode out at the head of the Ebdani army.

This time, it was the turn of Mabon’s war-band to fight hard against an apparently overpowering force.

This time, it was the army of Cotos who arrived by sea and landed just in time to surprise the enemy from behind them. At last, the King of the Ebdani was defeated.

The temple of the Morrigan, where so many people had been sacrificed, was burned to ashes. Cerridwen, Rhiannon’s sister, had been held captive by the King of the Ebdani. In exchange for the release of Cerridwen, the King of the Ebdani and the druids from the temple of the Morrigan were allowed to go into exile. Mabon stood in the harbour of Eblana with Rhiannon and Cerridwen, watching the ship of the Ebdani King leave. They wondered where the King and his druids would go. Cerridwen said that it didn’t matter, they could not harm anyone anymore. Eblana was secured under a new King, one of the Ebdani noblemen who had marched with Mabon and Rhiannon to liberate their people.

Mabon, Rhiannon and their war-band returned to Moridunon. They heard welcome news from the south: Dagomaros and his army of experienced Iceni swordsmen had defeated the army of the Dumnonii and occupied their city, Iska. Mabon and Rhiannon travelled to the Iceni capital, Camulodunon, to see Adiatorix, King of the Iceni, receive oaths of allegiance from the new kings of the Ebdani and Dumnonii. Adiatorix was proclaimed the High King of Britain and Ireland. The Iceni were at peace, at least for now. Mabon wondered if his days as a warrior were over. During the celebrations, a trading ship arrived at Camulodunon from the distant city of Massalia. The ship carried two men whose arrival would influence the course of history for the Iceni. One was a prince from a defeated tribe, the other was a wealthy merchant.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated April 22, 2017]

I notice you're still working on grabbing 'Best Screenshot of Some Ships in an Iceni AAR' next year.

It's nice to see the Morrigan's temple has been destroyed, although I'm not entirely sure that will mean all the Morrigan's priests are out of business (and I still think Mabon and his allies should be worrying more about Cigfa's prophecy). It's good to see that the Dumnonii were defeated, though, and I'm interested to see who the prince and the merchant turn out to be.

(Just a minor point, but I'm not sure the kidnapping of Cerridwen was worth including. It doesn't seem to have changed the course of the plot at all, and it seems to have been very easy to retrieve Cerridwen safely. It's a great chapter other than that, though. )

The temple of Morrigan destroyed, Dagomaros victorious and everyone's safe (for now); Like Mabon, I am wondering what will happen to him now that the enemy has been defeated. I wonder who this prince from the defeated tribe is...

Thanks, Caillagh and theSilentKiller!

Caillagh, you may well be right about Cerridwen's kidnapping. On reflection, I feel that I rushed the last chapter- Cerridwen's kidnapping could either have been removed or turned into a larger part of the story. theSilentKiller, in this chapter we will discover who the prince from the defeated tribe is....

Chapter Eighteen

As Mabon and Rhiannon strolled along the harbour of Camulodunon, the principal city of the Iceni, they smelled the grilling of freshly-caught fish. Rhiannon laughed when Mabon’s stomach growled, signalling his hunger. They stopped at a stall and handed over a couple of copper coins for a delicious meal of smoky grilled fish and fresh, crusty bread. As they finished eating, a large ship of unfamiliar design approached the harbour. This ship’s prow had painted eyes and a fierce-looking metal spike. Despite the warlike appearance of their vessel, the crew had come to Camulodunon to trade, not as invaders.

The ship docked and a well-dressed merchant supervised a team of sailors who began to unload his goods onto the harbour. Mabon and Rhiannon joined a crowd of curious people who gathered to watch the strangers leaving their ship and unloading their goods.

“Be careful with the amphorae!” The merchant bellowed in a deep voice which sounded familiar to Mabon. “King Adiatorix won’t be happy if he misses his chance to taste this fine wine, the best wine made anywhere in Gaul!”

When the merchant turned, Mabon recognised a face he knew from his childhood. He called out, “Pytheas! Pytheas of Massalia!” The Greek merchant had more grey in his beard than Mabon remembered, but his smile was as warm as ever.

“Whelp!” cried the merchant, embracing Mabon warmly, “It is good to see you again!”

“Half of Camulodunon heard you saying that you are supplying wine to the King!” said Mabon.

Rhiannon interrupted, “Perhaps Pytheas intended half of the city’s people to hear him?”

“Of course I did!” admitted the merchant cheerfully, “Who wouldn’t want to buy the wine which the King of the Iceni is drinking? I would not want the people of this fine city to miss this opportunity.”

“Not just the King of the Iceni, now,” replied Mabon, “The ruler of all the tribes in Britain and Ireland.”

“So I have been told,” said Pytheas, “and I heard a simply unbelievable rumour that you were involved!” He grinned. “When we stopped at Iska, people were telling tales of your victories. I see that the stories I told you when you were a boy, of the heroes Achilles and Heracles, have inspired greatness in you!” The merchant smiled at Mabon’s companion. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?”

Rhiannon introduced herself, “I am Rhiannon of the Demetae.” She hesitated. “I have heard tales of Pytheas of Massalia, but he came to Britain in the time of my grandfather’s grandfather.”

Mabon said, “It was our private joke when my brothers and I were boys, we pretended to believe that he was the original Pytheas.”

The Massalian merchant replied, “My name really is Pytheas, I am proud to be descended from the famous trader and explorer. I have a friend to introduce as well.”

The merchant beckoned forward a young man, who had seen perhaps fifteen or sixteen summers. He wore the fine cloak of a Celtic nobleman, but the design of the clasp was unfamiliar. Is he from the south, across the sea, perhaps from the Carnutes or Namnetes? Mabon wondered.

The young man introduced himself, “I am Getius of the Carnutes. My mother is…” he paused and then continued, his voice soft and trembling, “My mother was sister to your King, Adiatorix.”

“What happened?” asked Rhiannon.

“My eldest brother was pledged to marry a princess of the Pictones, the tribe south of us” said Getius.

“Go on” said Mabon.

“I think the Namnetes were threatened by this” said Getius. “The Namnetes had always been stronger than the Carnutes, but if we allied with the Pictones, that would change. The King of the Namnetes looked on the lands of the Carnutes with hungry eyes. In each generation, the Namnetes demanded more and more land from my people. My grandfather was a weak king, he gave up land which had belonged to us for generations, to appease the Namnetes. But my father was strong. He refused the demands of the Namnetes and sought an alliance with the Pictones.”

“I wonder if the rumours about the Pictones having iron blessed by the gods motivated the Namnetes, too,” said Pytheas.

“What do you mean?” asked Mabon.

Getius explained, “Druids from the south who came to the annual druids’ gathering at our city, Cenabum, said that the Pictones were forging swords and spear-points which are stronger than the iron made by other tribes. The druids said that the iron of the Pictones is blessed by the gods. Perhaps this news reached the ears of the King of the Namnetes? That might explain what happened next.”

“What happened?” asked Rhiannon.

Getius continued, “The Namnetes wanted our land. They were stronger than us so they took it. They took everything we had. They pretended that my father had insulted their King, but everyone knew that was a lie! Everyone who resisted – and every member of my family the enemy could find – is dead.”

He sighed. ”Now I am the last of my father’s line who still breathes. Brave noblemen, who served my father for many years, died to enable me to get away. I should have fought back, like my older brothers died, instead of running for safety.”

“You wanted to make them pay for what they did to your family,” said Mabon, scowling. “I would have wanted the same thing. When enemies took one of my brothers as a sacrifice, I wanted revenge.”

Rhiannon spoke softly, “If you had stayed behind, you would have died, and the sacrifice of your father’s noblemen would have been in vain. I’m glad that you-”

The young man interrupted, “Mabon, you wanted revenge. Did you get it? How?”

“The Iceni went to war with my people’s enemies and I joined them, with a company of riders from my tribe" said Mabon. "I made myself useful, fighting for Dagomaros, a general of the Iceni and brother of King Adiatorix. I’ll introduce you to Dagomaros. His brother, the King, will want to hear your sad news.”

Rhiannon observed, “When they hear that the Namnetes have killed their sister, I believe that Adiatorix and Dagomaros will lead the Iceni to war. You will get your revenge soon enough.”

Pytheas said, “If the Iceni are going to war, then I have something – some people, in fact, who can assist you. I can offer you an advantage in battle which will surprise the Namnetes.”
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 17, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated June 17, 2017]

In my great writing voyage this has to be one of the most complex stories .I imagine that now that he has the advantage Mabon will want to expand more aggressively .Maybe to the unfound horizons!
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated June 17, 2017]

Thanks, mad orc!

Chapter Nineteen

“Your ship looks ready for war, with that metal spike at the prow,” said Mabon. “Are you offering to lend us your ship for our war against the Namnetes?”

Pytheas replied, “My ship is ready for battle because it needs to be – I would not lend it to anyone. During my trading journeys when you were a boy, the only thing we had to worry about was a storm catching us unprepared. Now, things are very different.”

“Different how?” asked Rhiannon, “If we’re going to cross the sea to fight the Namnetes, we need to know what dangers we’ll face.”

“The northern coast of Gaul isn’t dangerous for an experienced crew,” said Pytheas, “In the Mediterranean Sea, we have to watch the horizon. We used to trade with the Etruscans in northern Italy, but the ports they used to own are closed to us now. Our trade ships went south to trade with the satrapies of Carthage, but they found ports which were blockaded or burned.”

“That sounds bad for trade,” said Mabon. “But why do you need to be ready to fight?”

“The crews of some Carthaginian ships have become pirates, preying on trading vessels,” said Pytheas. “That is why my crew are armed and why my ship has a ram and a ballista.”

“A ballista?” asked Mabon.

Pytheas nodded and pointed to a wooden structure which sat on the deck of his ship, just behind the prow.

“It looks huge. How strong do you have to be to fire such a thing?” asked Mabon.

“That’s the clever part,” said Pytheas. “This weapon can be fired by one ordinary sailor. It can fire bolts or stones further than an archer or slinger - and with much greater force. The last time a pirate vessel approached my ship, it turned and fled after one shot.”

“Such a weapon would be devastating on land, as well as at sea,” observed Rhiannon. “You said that you were offering something which would give the Iceni a decisive advantage – is this it?”

“My crew need this ballista to keep us safe on our voyage home,” replied Pytheas. “But you are close to the truth. I brought the finest master carpenters from Massalia on this voyage. They can teach your craftsmen how to make a ballista like this one. It should not be difficult to learn, particularly since they can study the weapon on my ship.”

“Do we need such a weapon?” said Mabon, “The Army of Dagomaros contains veteran swordsmen and Dagomaros is an experienced general.”

Getius, the young prince of the Carnutes, replied, “You haven’t seen the swordsmen of the Namnetes. Their best warriors become chosen swordsmen and they are given equipment to match their pride. They have fine swords and their armour looks as if only a noblemen could afford it. Against their chosen swordsmen, you will need every advantage you can get.”

Getius paused. “Will you introduce us to your general, Dagomaros, and your King, Adiatorix? The sooner I know that the Iceni will avenge my mother’s death, the happier I will be.”

Dagomaros and King Adiatorix were moved by the story Getius told about the defeat of his tribe and they resolved to avenge the death of their sister, the mother of Getius.

“You are my sister’s son. You are always welcome in my hall, as one of my family,” said Adiatorix. “When we cross the sea to avenge the death of your mother, you will carry a sword and march with the army of my brother, Dagomaros.”

When Pytheas offered to demonstrate the ballista on his ship, Adiatorix eagerly accepted his offer. The next morning, Pytheas welcomed Dagomaros, Adiatorix, Mabon and Rhiannon aboard his ship for a demonstration of the ballista.

As the ship left Camulodunon behind, Pytheas pointed ahead to a beach, where a group of people seemed to be standing still. The people on the beach were armed with spears; they carried large shields and held them high so their faces could not be seen. It was if they expected to be struck by a swarm of arrows or sling-stones. As the ship got closer, members of the crew loaded the ballista and aimed it at the group of people on the shore. Surely, Pytheas does not intend to demonstrate his weapon against people, thought Mabon. That would be cruel. What is happening here?

“Alexander of Macedon built a grand empire,” said Pytheas, obviously enjoying his chance to lecture a king. “He was a great general and commanded brave warriors. When his enemies hid behind the walls and towers of their cities, Alexander did not want his veterans to suffer heavy losses trying to storm the walls. He used weapons like this one”, Pytheas indicated the ballista near the prow of his ship, “which devastated Alexander’s enemies and saved the lives of his soldiers. Even on battlefields where the enemy was not behind high walls, weapons like this one gave Alexander’s army the advantage they needed to win decisive victories. An army which takes few casualties can keep advancing, without having to wait for replacements.”

Pytheas nodded to his crew. The ballista fired its projectile towards the beach with immense speed and force. Several of the people on the beach were down; their shields had not saved them. The crew worked quickly and the fearsome ballista fired again. Now, all of the figures on the beach were down. Mabon realised that, apart from the screeching sea-birds in the skies above, the flapping of the sail and the cheering of the crew as they saw that their weapon hit its targets, he could hear nothing. He could hear no sounds from the beach – no cries of pain or pleas for mercy, just silence.

The ship came close to the shore, Pytheas and the others strode across the beach to see what the ballista had done. Mabon realised that he had been mistaken. The ‘people’ on the beach had been bundles of clothes stuffed with straw, supported by planks of wood nailed together and stuck in the ground. Their shields had been nailed to the planks of wood. Several of the shields had been smashed to pieces by the impact.

Mabon returned with the others to the hall of the King. As Adiatorix negotiated with Pytheas, the King of the Iceni enjoyed cups of the excellent Massalian wine which Pytheas had brought. They agreed that the Massalian master carpenters would teach the Iceni how to make ballistae. In return for this knowledge, and for many amphorae of wine, the Massalian merchant would receive not only silver, but also a house near the docks in Camulodunon. Pytheas and his crew would use this house whenever their trade ships docked at the Iceni capital. It would be a trading post between the Massalians and the Iceni and a symbol of the growing friendship between them.

That evening, Mabon and Rhiannon, in accordance with their new daily routine, walked back to the harbour of Camulodunon. Mabon pointed out a group of children who were vigorously fighting with wooden swords. Rhiannon smiled, observing that the girl who was leading one of the groups wasn’t bad. Behind Mabon and Rhiannon, in the shadows, two people crept, quiet and unseen.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 13, 2017 at 09:34 AM.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated July 2, 2017]

I like Pytheas lecturing everyone. It sounds as if he was having fun!

And that's a lovely picture of Pytheas's ballista. Which I notice is on a ship...

The Best of Luck's Avatar Foederatus

Last sentence...ominous. Love the atmosphere you've created and the contrast coming!

Surely the ballista will prove useful at more than one point. And taken under Pytheas' tow -or at least his knowledge about Alexander- what could go wrong, right?

I like how the wild tribe is slowly using modern weapons and civilization tactics .Learning from Alexander is a plus .The same way I learn from Alwyn.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Thanks for your kind comments, Caillagh (sorry, the next chapter has no pictures of ships ), The Best of Luck (thanks, I hope to maintain the atmosphere), theSilentKiller (oh yes, the ballista will be useful) and mad orc (yes, I enjoy the development of technology and tactics in Total War games and including them in AARs). I recommend reading the AARs by the kind people who commented on my last chapter - you will find them in the different sub-forums of the Writers' Study. Like me, they appreciate encouraging comments. Also, if anyone has not found the new Rome II AAR, Toutatis Favours the Brave by Welsh Dragon, I recommend it!

I hope that you'll enjoy what happens next...

Chapter Twenty

As Rhiannon and Mabon walked along a busy street in Camulodunon, they watched a group of children who were laughing and playing. A second too late, Rhiannon noticed that the girl playing with a wooden sword froze, looking startled and staring at somewhere behind Rhiannon’s back. As Rhiannon whirled around, her hand on her sword hilt, she heard the crack of a blow to someone’s head and saw Mabon falling to the ground. Rhiannon saw the two attackers, a man and a woman.

The man had struck Mabon with a club. You bastard, she thought, Mabon could have been useful in this fight. He’s not bad for a cavalryman. She noticed the design of the plaid on the tunic which one of the attackers wore. He belongs to my tribe – that’s a Demetae design, she realised.

As she drew her sword, Rhiannon called to the attackers, “Who are you and why did you attack my friend?” She spoke in a loud and commanding voice, as if she was commanding her company of swordsmen in battle.

Some people passing by, including a group who looked like apprentice craftsmen on their way from one ale-house to another, stopped and stared at the unfolding scene. If the attackers want to be quiet, let’s see how they handle an audience, Rhiannon thought.

The man who had attacked Mabon looked young and wild-eyed. He carried a wooden club. The other attacker, a young woman, carried a sword. She wore well-made clothes and a finely crafted gold torc, signs of wealth and high rank.

Mabon’s body moved slightly. Thank the gods, he’s stunned, not dead, Rhiannon thought.

The woman spoke, “Your friend is alive, for now, because I permit him to live.”

“If you hurt my friend again, then neither of you will leave here alive,” said Rhiannon.

The woman laughed. “You should not make such threats, the two of us could kill you easily.”

“Are you a mighty warrior then?” asked Rhiannon, “I don’t remember seeing you on the battlefield when I fought the Ebdani who raided our land and enslaved our people. Perhaps you were too afraid to fight – or too weak to use your sword in battle.”

The woman ignored Rhiannon’s taunt, “Your sister has no business ruling the Demetae. If she stepped down, neither would you. If you want to live and if you value your sister’s life, you will endorse me, Goewin, as Queen of the Demetae.”

Rhiannon thought, She is obviously high-born, why don’t I know her? She said, “What makes you think that our tribe would accept you as Queen? Growing up in my father’s court, I saw the nobles of the Demetae talking and feasting with my father. I don’t recognise you, why would they accept you?”

Goewin replied, “You would have recognised my two elder brothers, but they died in your war against the Ebdani. Your father was only King because your grandfather killed my grandfather. You and your sister, the so-called Queen, are friends with Mabon of the Silures - a traitor who helped the Iceni to defeat your father in battle! Now you want the Demetae to support the Iceni in their doomed attempt to cross the sea and attack the mighty Namnetes!”

"My grandmother was a princess of the Namnetes”, Goewin continued. “Under my leadership, the Demetae would prosper by allying with them. The King of the Namnetes, not that wounded weakling, King Adiatorix of the Iceni, is destined to be High King of Gaul and Britain! The chief druid of the Namnetes says that the gods have abandoned the Iceni and look with favour on his people.”

Goewin repeated her demand, “If you want you and your sister to survive, you will put down your sword, kneel and acknowledge me as Queen. What is your answer? Tell me now!”

Rhiannon moved with little steps, watched her opponent. Just a little more, and you will be between me and your friend. She remembered being instructed by her father’s champion swordsman, a grey-haired veteran with a scarred face.

“Young warriors think that sword-fighting is about swinging your arm harder and faster than your enemy,” he used to say. “But the strongest warrior can be defeated by someone who’s nimble on their feet. The warrior who keeps moving can avoid fighting too many foes at once. You want your opponent to be cramped while you have plenty of room to swing your blade.”

Suddenly, Rhiannon stopped moving and attacked. Instead of aiming at Goewin herself, she struck at her opponent’s sword. The champion swordsman had taught Rhiannon that, because the weight of a sword is mostly in the blade, a hard blow to your enemy’s blade can disarm them.

Rhiannon spoke calmly, “You made me an offer. Allow me to make an offer in return. Leave your sword and tell your friend to back away from Mabon. Even if you and your friend managed to kill me, you would have made enemies of the ruling families of the Demetae and the Silures. There is no need to start a vendetta between your family and mine.”

Goewin scowled, picked up her sword and struck swiftly. Each blow was parried by Rhiannon.

Instead of striking back, Rhiannon spoke again. “If you want to see tomorrow’s dawn, leave this place in peace – and do not approach me or Mabon again.”

Goewin lunged, hoping to surprise her opponent. But Rhiannon had not only learned to keep moving; her experience in battle taught her to observe how her enemies moved their feet. Rhiannon realised that the blow was coming and stepped aside. Rhiannon’s sword moved quickly. This time, she did not aim for her enemy’s blade.

Goewin gasped, dropping her sword and wrapping her wounded sword-arm in her cloak. Her cloak was soon stained with blood.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rhiannon saw the other attacker, the man, trying to get close to her without being seen. Rhiannon had no doubt that her sword-work would defeat this man’s club. Too late, she saw that the man had drawn Mabon’s sword. She brought her sword up to parry the man’s attack. Her sword reached her opponent’s stolen blade too late - just after it had started to cut into her side. She felt blood seeping down from the wound. With her left hand, she pressed her cloak onto the injury, trying to slow down the loss of blood.

I must finish this quickly, or I will collapse, she thought, as she saw the man swinging his sword, attempting to finish her. Parrying his blow, she saw an opportunity to strike and brought her sword down fast and hard. The man looked in horror at the stump where his hand had been and collapsed to his knees. The woman, Goewin, had fled. The man stumbled away after Goewin, clutching his ruined arm with his remaining hand.

Mabon unsteadily rose to his feet, rubbing his head.

“Thank the gods,” he said, “You saved both our lives.”

Mabon continued talking, but Rhiannon found it difficult to follow what he was saying and her vision was becoming blurred. She heard him saying something about finding a druid, and then everything went dark.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 13, 2017 at 09:46 AM.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated August 13, 2017]

Chapter Twenty-One

The spy closed the door of the private chamber, bowed to the King of the Namnetes and began his report. He explained the events as positively as he could. The King and the King’s brother frowned as they listened.

“My lords, my mission succeeded. I found a disaffected Demetae noblewoman, Goewin. I persuaded her to attack Rhiannon, a princess of the Demetae, and Mabon, a prince of the Silures.”

“What is that to me?” asked the King of the Namnetes, “If you had persuaded the Demetae to fight the Iceni, our enemies would be divided. If the Iceni sent half of their army to Wales to subdue the Demetae, we could have landed and taken their capital. Did you persuade the Demetae to attack the Iceni?”

The spy trembled slightly, shaking his head.

The King continued, “No! Instead, my other spies warn me that the main Iceni army are boarding their ships. They intend to come here and attack my capital. How can you claim that your mission was a success? Explain yourself!“

“During the attack, Rhiannon was injured.” said the spy, “The King of the Iceni offered Mabon the command of the Iceni navy, but Mabon said that he could not accept. He explained that it was a matter of honour. Rhiannon saved his life; the attacker who injured her had escaped and could try to attack her again. Mabon will remain with her while she recovers.”

“How does this help us?” asked the King of the Namnetes.

The spy gulped and spoke more quickly. “The bards of Britain sing of the heroic leadership of Rhiannon and Mabon against Ebdani raiders. The Iceni ship-crews could have been led by an inspiring commander. Instead, command of their navy has been given to Cotos, an Iceni nobleman. Everyone says that he is cautious. Some even whisper that he is a coward.”

“I see – that is information which I can use,” said the King. “I expect that our enemies will land their army a few days’ march north of here, where the beaches offer safe landing. We will not oppose them when they land their troops. After their army has landed, our ships will drive away theirs. This will not be difficult, since the Iceni navy is led by a coward.”

“Shouldn’t we fight them when they are trying to land, won’t they be vulnerable then?” asked the King’s brother.

“If we march to the beaches, we will leave Namnetum unprotected,” replied the King. “They might just land a small force as a diversion, to draw us away from the capital so that their main force can take our capital without much resistance.”

The King paused, stroking his grey beard. “I want their army to watch while our ships drive theirs away. I want them to make camp, see our ships patrolling the coast and know that they will receive no supplies by sea. I want them to realise how difficult it is to forage for supplies during the winter. As their bellies become empty, their courage will fail. After a few days, our army will march out and destroy them utterly. Then, we will sail to their capital and take their lands.”

When the ships of the Namnetes advanced aggressively, the Iceni ships fled, just as the King of the Namnetes had predicted. The Iceni had chosen to make their stand on an open plain, where the grass was covered with frost and snow. The snow crunched underfoot as the Namnetes warriors marched. Their main army was followed by the garrison from Namnetum, marching to reinforce them.

As the Namnetes marched towards the Iceni, the pale winter sun reflected on snow – and on the iron armour of the chosen swordsmen who formed the centre of the Namnetes battle line. Even from a distance, the King of the Namnetes could tell that the Iceni sword bands did not wear iron armour.

There was something odd about the Iceni warriors. The King of the Namnetes realised what was. “Look!” The King said to his brother, “It seems unnatural, doesn’t it? The Iceni swordsmen are standing still. Warriors would normally march towards us, to show their courage and to meet our charge with their own. Are they cowards?”

The King’s brother said, “That is strange. Perhaps they have learned to fight like the Greeks? I heard stories from the tribes in the south of Gaul, who say that the Greeks of Massalia form a defensive line and wait for their enemies to attack. However, there might be another reason. Perhaps they have men waiting to ambush us?”

The King of the Namnetes ordered for his light cavalry to scout their flanks, looking for any hidden enemies. They found nothing.

“What are those?” The King’s brother pointed towards what appeared to be wooden structures inside the Iceni formation. From a distance, the Namnetes could not see them clearly.

“Perhaps they were trying to construct a fort, but did not have time to complete it?” suggested the King. “Those could be watch-towers or platforms for their slingers to fire.”

The answer came with a sound like a rushing wind and the sickening impact of heavy stones smashing into a line of marching warriors. It seemed as if a series of giant hammers had struck the centre of the Namnetes line. In several places, swordsmen had been knocked down and injured or killed. Their shining iron armour had not protected them. The King of the Namnetes realised that the sun’s reflection on their armour might have drawn the attention of the Iceni who operated the deadly rock-hurling machines.

Now, the King of the Namnetes realised why the Iceni had remained still, not marching towards his army. The Iceni wanted more time for their machines to hurl rocks against the Namnetes before the opposing lines collided. The King ordered his light cavalry to circle around to the left flank of the Iceni. When he heard another crunch as more stones landed, and saw more of his swordsmen falling, he ordered his remaining swordsmen to charge. His men would be tired after running through snow, but at least more of them would be alive.

The Namnetes’ light horse broke through a thin line of spearmen who were guarding the Iceni left flank. Just a short distance ahead, they could see the Iceni engineers operating their machines.

Nearly there, though the captain of the Namnetes horsemen. He saw Iceni noblemen holding their swords high, charging towards his horsemen. It’s too late to turn back now, thought the captain, before an Iceni sword brought him down. As he fell from his horse, the captain heard the terrible machines firing again and realised that his horsemen had failed to stop them.

The Namnetes warriors charged bravely through a storm of rocks hurled by the Iceni ballistae and a rain of stones fired by the Iceni slingers. Beyond the rocks and stones, the Iceni sword bands waited. The Iceni warriors did not wear iron armour like the chosen swordsmen of the Namnetes. But the Iceni were fresh, while the Namnetes were tired. The Iceni were at full strength, while the Namnetes had lost men before they reached the Iceni line. The Namnetes had expected to break through the Iceni line, but it held firm.

When the Namenetes reinforcements arrived, more Namnetes warriors charged into a single point of the Iceni line, trying to force their way through. They wanted to punish the operators of the ballistae and the slingers who had slain their friends. But the Iceni line still held and the slingers continued to fire.

When Iceni swordsmen and spearmen charged into the flanks of the Namnetes, Namnetes warriors began to fall back. Their heads hung low with the shame of warriors who flee from battle. The King of the Namnetes and his brother led their company of noble swordsmen into the centre of the melee, but even they could not turn back the trickle of fleeing men, which turned into a flood. The King and the noble swordsmen of the Namnetes fought hard and refused to flee or surrender, even when they were surrounded. The defensive ring of Namnetes swordsmen became smaller and smaller, until no-one was left.

Namnetum, the capital of the Namnetes, and Cenabum, the city which the Namnetes had taken from the Carnutes, fell to the Iceni. While the Iceni army marched to Cenabum, the sea-port of Namnetum was guarded by the Iceni fleet under the command of Cotos.

Cotos watched the horizon anxiously. He hoped that no-one would challenge his tenuous hold on Namnetum before the Iceni army returned from Cenabum. When unfamiliar ships were seen approaching the harbour, Cotos ordered his fleet to sea. The men crewing the unknown ships wore iron armour which shone in the sunlight. Cotos remembered fleeing from the ships of the Namnetes and the shame which he had felt. He remembered reports of the chosen swordsmen of the Namnetes whose armour shone in the sun. He ordered his slingers to open fire. Cotos was afraid and his fear motivated him to attack before he learned where the ships and their crews had come from.

Last edited by Alwyn; August 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM.

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated August 20, 2017]

Chapter Twenty-two

"From the third century BC, many of the hill-forts [in southern Britain] got facelifts. The reconstruction of their perimeter defences strongly suggests that they were being used as fortresses – easily defensible strongholds that would come into their own when hostility broke out."
    - Alice Roberts, 'The Celts: Search for a Civilization' (Heron Books 2015) p. 123.
    “Stand your ground!” called Rhiannon to the spearmen. “The riders are charging. You have to be ready.”

The rapid hoof-beats got closer and closer. The sons of craftsmen and farmers hastily formed a line and tried their best to look like well-trained spearmen. It was not an impressive display. A few spearmen looked over their shoulders, their eyes searching for a place to hide. The horsemen suddenly turned away from the line of spears. Many of the spearmen sighed with relief and wearily rested their spears on the ground. Suddenly, they heard rapid hoof-beats again. The horsemen had turned and were positioned to charge into the spear company’s unprotected flank. A few spearmen braced their spears against the ground, as they had been taught, but others fell back, seeking a safer place behind other men.

Rhiannon clapped her hands loudly three times and the horsemen turned away, slowing their horses to a calm, unthreatening walk.

Mabon leaned down from his horse to whisper to Rhiannon. “They’re improving. At least some of them stood their ground this time!”

Rhiannon sighed and scowled as the spearmen formed a half-circle around her.

“If this had been a real battle, others would have been depending on you to stand your ground. Tell me: if horsemen charge and you do not stand together, what will you do?”

“Die,” replied the spearmen, chanting the usual response to their instructor’s familiar question. Their heads were low with shame and their voices sounded dispirited.

Rhiannon continued, “If horsemen charge and you stand, what will you do?”

“Live,” came the reply.

Rhiannon spoke again, “You have to react to the moves the enemy’s horsemen make. They are not fools. They know if they charge a line of braced spearmen, they will lose – so they will not do that. They will strike the flanks or rear of your company - or charge when you are on the move. A company of spearmen must always watch what the enemy are doing. You have to be ready to react instantly and to move together. Your lives, the lives of your fellow warriors and the freedom of our tribes depend on this.”

The spearmen did their best. They were proud to have joined Mabon’s army and to be trained by Rhiannon, a famous warrior. But they were unblooded. They lacked the experience which enabled veteran spearmen to react confidently to an unexpected attack. The next time Mabon’s riders pretended to attack, the horsemen split into two groups and approached as if they were charging from both flanks. When most of the spearmen panicked and ran, Rhiannon cried out with such fury that one young recruit turned red in the face and dropped his spear. Rhiannon decided to try something different. She lined up the spearmen opposite bales of straw which they would use as targets for their javelins.

Mabon dismounted and joined Rhiannon as they watched the spearmen practice their throws from a safe distance. At least the spearmen knew that they were doing badly and the enthusiasm with which they kept practising with their javelins suggested that they wanted to improve.

“If we lead these men into battle, they will turn and run, putting others in danger,” said Rhiannon. “They will not be ready for weeks – perhaps months.”

Mabon sighed and said, “I know. But we also know that, since Cotos and the Iceni navy attacked an Arverni fleet, we are at war with the most powerful tribe in Gaul. Dagomaros has one army – the only Iceni force in Gaul. Dagomaros has two cities to defend, Cenabum and Namnetum. The armies of three tribes – the Arverni and their allies, the Pictones and the Cessetani – will be marching against him. He-”

Rhiannon interrupted, “The sword bands of Dagomaros are veterans. The men of this army are not ready. We talked about the army you wanted to build. You told me what you learned from fighting for Dagomaros in Britain. You remembered the chariots of the Brigantes breaking through Iceni spearmen, so you wanted chariots. You saw the Caledonians using armoured horsemen, so you wanted armoured cavalry of your own. You saw the Deceangli spearmen wearing armour, so you wanted spear bands. Do we have chariots? Do we have armour for all of our warriors?”

Mabon said, “That’s true, we don’t have chariots and many of our warriors lack armour. But Dagomaros needs help now! The Pictones occupy the lands south of Namnetum and Cenabum. The druids say that the Pictones have iron blessed by the gods. If their swords are less likely to bend or break, they could have a decisive advantage against the sword bands of Dagomaros, even though his men are veterans.”

“Perhaps,” conceded Rhiannon, “but if all else fails, Dagomaros can fall back to Namnetum where the ships commanded by Cotos can bring him home to Britain.”

“The Pictones, the Arverni and the Cessetani won’t stay on their side of the sea,” said Mabon. “When we fought the Ebdani, we saw how difficult it is to fight a tribe whose warriors can strike anywhere on our coast without warning. If we spread our army too thinly, we’ll lose. If we concentrate our forces but they strike elsewhere, our people will be taken away in chains and sold in the slave markets of Gaul.”

Rhiannon replied, “The High King of the Iceni, Adiatorix, knows that the enemy could raid us from the sea. He ordered the strengthening of hill-forts across the south of Britain. Their ditches are being dug deeper and their ramparts are being built higher. They are well-supplied with javelins and spears. Each hill-fort is a refuge for our people and a stronghold which can hold back enemy raiders until an Iceni army arrives.”

Mabon said, “Sheltering in hill-forts is better than nothing, but it will not give us victory. Our warriors are not yet trained or equipped as well as we wanted. But the army of Dagomaros stands alone. We must stand with him and his men. Our army will have to complete their training in the same way that the veterans of Dagomaros did – in battle.”

The army of Mabon marched for days from its recruiting grounds near Camulodunon to the port city of Iska in south-western Britain. For many of the men, the journey to Namnetum on the west coast of Gaul was their first sea voyage – the start of an adventure. As the shore of southern Britain faded from view on the horizon, Mabon hoped that his men would see their homeland again. He felt keenly the responsibility of commanding not just a company of riders, but an army.

When Mabon and Rhiannon arrived at the port of Namnetum, they were relieved to find the city still in Iceni hands and to discover the army of Dagomaros camped outside. The veterans of the army of Dagomaros watched Mabon’s warriors as they landed. When some veterans taunted the young recruits, Rhiannon silenced them with a hard stare which could have stopped an angry boar in its tracks.

Dagomaros embraced Mabon and Rhiannon warmly and called for food and ale for them and their warriors. “Welcome to Gaul, my friends! You have brought these new warriors to learn the art of killing our enemies, yes?”

“I bring levy spearmen, scout riders, slingers and sword bands,” reported Mabon. “They are willing, but lack experience. The only warriors who have seen battle before are my company of veteran riders - and Rhiannon, who is directing the training of the soldiers.”

“What would you like us to do?” Mabon asked Dagomaros. “My men brought tools as well as weapons. We thought you might want us to build a fort to hold off our enemies.”

“I want your men to march, not dig,” said Dagomaros. “We are not going to wait, like frightened children, for our enemies to come to us. We are going to attack the Pictones at their capital, Lemonum. People say that they have god-blessed iron. Ha! I say we seize that advantage for ourselves. We march!”

Default Re: Andraste's Children (Iceni AAR) [updated September 1, 2017]

Great chapters! The Iceni making progress, using their ballistae and training their men. Let's hope that the inexperienced soldiers won't be the reason for a defeat. Can't wait to see if Dagomaros' plan is going to succeed or if the enemies have a counter-plan!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast