Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite unit?

Default Re: What is your favorite unit?

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post
    So Pahlav/Iranic roster has not finished yet any estimation regarding when they might be available?
    Not soon. We are very low on manpower atm, and there are more pressing areas that we are focused on. But you never know with these things. If we get 5 new artists tommorow it could be done in a month. If not, then don't hold your breath

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    planned but low priority iirc.
    That's too bad. They could use some sprucing up, if not an entire remodeling. Perhaps the funkiest part about them is their faces; something's a bit off there. That's especially considering the fact that most of your Hellenistic units look fantastically realistic, as opposed to the cartoon-like look of faces in units found in vanilla RTW and M2TW.

i rly like/hate hai nizak(armenian spearmen). while they are cheap, they can hold or even clearly defeat much more stronger(statisticaly) and more expensive units.

Of all the available Hellenistic cavalry units, which one is your favorite? I'd say mine are the Kleruchoi Agema (or Agema Klerouchon Hippeon) from Ptolemaic Egypt, if only because they look the most dashing out of the heavy lancers. If not them, I'd have to say the Hellenistic cataphracts (kataphractoi), given their ferocious and heavily armored appearance, if not because of their charge bonus!

Kleruchoi Agema:

Kleruchoi Agema and Kataphractoi riding together:

Kataphractoi:

By the way, I just added links in the OP to new Imgur album pics of the following units:

ASPIDIOTAI HIPPEIS:

http://imgur.com/URJ38pj

KLERUCHOI AGEMA:

https://imgur.com/a/Ckvg4

BAKTRIOI HIPPOTOXOTAI:

http://imgur.com/jvF6AtR

THRACIAN KATOIKOI:

https://imgur.com/a/5MBze

THRACIAN RHOMPAIAPHOROI

http://imgur.com/YohxNi9

THRACIAN CAVALRY

http://imgur.com/a/2W7Vt

LIBYAN SWORDSMEN

http://imgur.com/a/bulel

HYPERASPISTAI:

http://imgur.com/a/gxtt3

Lonchophoroi.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    Lonchophoroi.
    They're pretty delicious looking and versatile with their javelins, although their charge bonus suffers slightly as a result:

The new Aspidiotai Hippeis make up for that by being standard lancers, although unlike the other Greek lancers since they wield shields:

Btw, am i the only one that can't spot the difference between the Agema Kleruchoi and the Lydian lancers?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Btw, am i the only one that can't spot the difference between the Agema Kleruchoi and the Lydian lancers?
    This was my original thought when I looked at both of them, but then I did a thorough inspection. Turns out that while the bodies are actually the same models, the helmets, capes, and plumes are slightly different. For instance, the Kluerchoi Agema have purple-painted helmets while the Lydian Lancers have red-painted helmets. It's ironic that you've invoked this comparison, though, since the Lydian Lancers are actually a carbon copy of the Molosson Agema from Epirus! In addition to the differences I've already mentioned, I don' think the Lydian Lancers have one of the same body types as the Kleruchoi Agema, namely the one with a linothorax that has an iron strip plate kottybos stomach band. You can see an example of that if you look at my picture of Kleruchoi Agema, specifically the guy on the very far right who is somewhat obscured by the pop-up unit labeling text caused by hovering my mouse cursor over the unit. You can see how a couple of the guys behind him have the same armor type for their torso.

Some new pictures:

Kleruchoi Agema:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lydian Lancers and Molosson Agema riding side by side (just to show that there's not a difference between the two as far as appearance is concerned; the same model is used for both of them):

Thracian Rhomphaiaphoroi

Thorakitai Epilektoi:

Thorakitai:

Thracian Katoikoi:

Baktrioi Hippotoxotai:

Lonchophoroi Hippeis:

Aspidiotai Hippeis:

Euzonoi:

Hyperaspistai:

Libyan Swordsmen:

Thracian Cavalry, Hippeis and Prodromoi:

Thracian cavalry storming the breach in the walls of a Barbarian city:

I've been playing an Epeiros-as-Syrakousai game recently, and I have to say some of the lower rungs of the Greek roster are brilliant. Hemithorakitai especially; they can harass from range, they can close and melee with levies or lower-tier line infantry, they can hold cavalry. Hoplitai Haploi are also really handy as long as you cover their flanks with steadier units (like Hemithorakitai).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I've been playing an Epeiros-as-Syrakousai game recently, and I have to say some of the lower rungs of the Greek roster are brilliant. Hemithorakitai especially; they can harass from range, they can close and melee with levies or lower-tier line infantry, they can hold cavalry. Hoplitai Haploi are also really handy as long as you cover their flanks with steadier units (like Hemithorakitai).
    Yeah, but you better wipe out the Romans and much of the Celtic factions soon after your Thorakitai reforms, otherwise the Romans get Marian units and the Celts get their heavy upgraded reforms.

Seriously, though, those Cohors Evocatae are solid monsters and the First Cohort, numbered 242 men, are really intimidating. The Polybian era Romans are scary enough, but the Triarii are now only what, 90 some men for each of their units?

Man, I think that all those sword-and-javelin infantry would look way better if they held their swords in right hands from the start, not only when they spend all of their missiles.

What unit I should use as medium Macedonian cavalry? Xystophoroi?

Also, what do you think about using hoplitai haploi as some sort of southern roman socii? Perhaps as some Lucanian spearmen?
    Last edited by wermez; April 30, 2017 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    Man, I think that all those sword-and-javelin infantry would look way better if they held their swords in right hands from the start, not only when they spend all of their missiles.

What unit I should use as medium Macedonian cavalry? Xystophoroi?

Also, what do you think about using hoplitai haploi as some sort of southern roman socii? Perhaps as some Lucanian spearmen?
    As cavalry, use Raskumezenai. They're abundant enough in mercenary pools, and you can get them in regular recruitment too in some places. After Thorakitai reform, you also might want to use Lonchophoroi Hippeis if you really want to roleplay with Macedonian cavalry, but oddly they are both more expensive and slightly inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Yeah, but you better wipe out the Romans and much of the Celtic factions soon after your Thorakitai reforms, otherwise the Romans get Marian units and the Celts get their heavy upgraded reforms.

Seriously, though, those Cohors Evocatae are solid monsters and the First Cohort, numbered 242 men, are really intimidating. The Polybian era Romans are scary enough, but the Triarii are now only what, 90 some men for each of their units?
    I have a question about the Celtic armor upgrades. What is it they get exactly? I tried searching in the EDU and other files for how it changes their unit stats but I couldn't find anything. Also, while the Celts get their reforms, it seems like the Iberian elites just stay the same throughout the game, and their stats are rather poor for an elite unit to begin with.

They get a +1 armor boost each upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    They get a +1 armor boost each upgrade.
    It's not +1, it's +2.5 (rounded up) each.

Well now, that's interesting. Why doesn't that show in the stats?

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Well now, that's interesting. Why doesn't that show in the stats?
    No bloody clue why CA wouldn't have made it so that it accurately displays on the unit info card, but as the guy who determined it, here's how we came to that conclusion (note that we didn't exactly determine how much it added, but since the other theory we'd found on the matter was that it would be +2.5 each, that's what we've assumed since).

-We tested in multiplayer. The reason for doing this is that custom battles supposedly either give the player or the AI bonuses (i.e. there is no "bonus-less" difficulty) and we would need to have control of both sides of the battle to make things work out (e.g. we couldn't have the AI suddenly pulling out of a melee).
    -The units used were the Camillan and Polybian Equites (with their availability edited, so that Carthage had access to the latter in "early" multiplayer setup). The reason is that the stats of these units are almost wholly the same, except for the Polybian variant having +1 armour and slightly higher cost. For testing purposes, we gave the Camillan unit a single available armour upgrade (which would change the rider model to that of the Polybian unit, but leave the Camillan pony instead of the Polybian horse).
    -Now the test was simple. Assuming that armour upgrades were +1 each, the stats would have been the same and all things being equal we should see fairly close results and either side potentially winning. We lined up the units opposite each other (though we did give both sides a BG unit with general in it, which was to stay far from combat to prevent a loss of general influencing things), drew both units up in equally deep lines and made sure they had a clear charge. No pulling out of melee allowed, the fight would continue until either unit (Polybian or upgraded Camillan) won.
    -The results were clear. I believe we did about three battles, with the upgraded Camillans winning each time with a fairly significant margin (about 10 troops more remaining on huge unit size). This meant that the upgraded Camillans must have had better stats than their Polybian counterparts, i.e. the armour upgrade must have added more than 1 point of armour value to the unit.

Furthermore, I think the Armenian Cataphracts ought to be rated highly.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Quite odd. Well, that makes armor upgrades even more joyful events

One little thing I remember; one day I decided to test Polybian equites vs Lybo-phoenician horseman. Difficulity was medium; both units charged and fought until Lybo-phoenicians run away. Equites were considerably stronger. Is that normal?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast