Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite unit?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: What is your favorite unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Can you imagine we still have a heavier version of Cataphracts planned? Can't think what those will do to infantry in charges
    Quit teasing us like this. You know what you're doing.

Why heavier cataphracts?
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Well the late grinpavar were even heavier according to our historians. But don't expect this unit soon; it's really low priority. Something to look forward to for everyone that likes charging tanks into helpless infantry

Well the late grinpavar were even heavier according to our historians. But don't expect this unit soon; it's really low priority. Something to look forward to for everyone that likes charging tanks into helpless infantry
    OMG LATE PARTHIAN CATAPHRACTS???!!! I cannot wait. I must have them tomorrow. I expect a report with a full set of unit files on my desk by 12 o'clock sharp, Johnson. Or it's your badge, your gun, and your license to mod!

Please don't make them any time soon. I spend enough time on this mod as it is without having to spend 500 turns on a new parthian campaign to get even better cataphracts. Who would want to be in the infantry (or opposing cavalry for that matter!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by sigurdr View Post
    Please don't make them any time soon. I spend enough time on this mod as it is without having to spend 500 turns on a new parthian campaign to get even better cataphracts. Who would want to be in the infantry (or opposing cavalry for that matter!!!)
    Or, on turn number one of your new Parthian campaign...

Code:
    ~ 
    Welcome to Medieval II shell!
    create_unit "Khiva" "steppe cavalry parthian cataphracts" 5 9 9 9
    create_unit "Khiva" "steppe cavalry parthian cataphracts" 5 9 9 9
    create_unit "Khiva" "steppe cavalry grivpanvar cataphracts" 5 9 9 9
    create_unit "Khiva" "steppe cavalry grivpanvar cataphracts" 5 9 9 9

don't tempt me!!! (what does the 5 9 9 9 refer to?)

IIRC it is amount, experience, weapon and armour upgrades. Not sure if in this order.

cheers Sar1n, I try not to cheat but when I have to wait so long for units it becomes tempting

Can you imagine we still have a heavier version of Cataphracts planned? Can't think what those will do to infantry in charges

I guess Saka will also get heavier(late) cataphract version?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post

I guess Saka will also get heavier(late) cataphract version?
    I don't want to spoil too much

Maybe you could contact the person that has those units. It could be helpfull with materials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgu_yCTHStk&t=60s

Campidoctor

Mistophoroi Hoplitai (Mercenary Hoplites), for some reason.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They are one of my favorites too. It's a very well made, solid fighting unit. Now, if that butt ugly Hellenic standard bearer model from EB1 were to be replaced with something newer, they'd be perfect
    EDIT: They seem to be experiencing some issues with their thighs... some PE might fix that
    Last edited by Rad; March 27, 2017 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    Maybe you could contact the person that has those units. It could be helpfull with materials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgu_yCTHStk&t=60s
    Hmm. Those are really nice and more than suitable for the Sasanian Empire, but I'm not sure about using any textures let alone whole models for EB II. The East of Rome mod is set in Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages, whereas EB II is solely within the Hellenistic period, overlapping with the beginning of the Roman period for the Mediterranean. In terms of the overall feel and look of equipment, gear, clothing, standards, etc. these are two very different time periods and for the most part are not compatible. Also, the units previewed in that Youtube video have heavily modded and awesome looking textures, but they are still clearly using the Medieval II Total War/Stainless Steel Middle Eastern/Asiatic heavy cavalry unit model, with faces and everything. The cool thing about units in EB II is that they have their own unique and custom look for everything. EB II does not rely on other mods for that, let alone the vanilla total war games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    I can't deny that they're really well made and historically accurate, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're my favorite unit to play with or look at. I have a bias, though, for really heavy infantry units like the Hellenistic Thorakitai Epilektoi or the Roman Pedites Extraordinarii (or for that matter Marian First Cohort). Give me chain mail, scale mail, or tons of muscled cuirass breastplates please! Lighter units and medium units play their part and by sheer economic necessity I am forced to use them, but I don't prefer them. The only light units that I like are ones that are incredibly versatile, like the Thracian Peltastai (oh my god they are vicious monsters) or the Roman Antesignani (really capable skirmishers/javelinmen, solid medium infantry compared to lighter Velites, AND serve as decent spearmen against cavalry...and manage to look awesome). The Thorakitai are not only heavier than hoplites (including your mercenary ones), but they have the versatility of being missile units as well, throwing javelins to soften the enemy.

I guess only Eastern cavalry are worth mentioning; most of their infantry are meh. It's supposed to be that way, though! I will say this, however: Carthage's beautifully-designed and oh so very elite Sacred Band infantry are quite possibly the most monstrous, solid fighters in the whole game, just a cut above the Hellenistic Hypaspistai, Hoplitai Epilektoi, and Spartan Hoplites. I especially like the new Libyan Swordsmen for that matter, the equivalent to the Hellenistic Thorakitai and Roman Principes, but I place them next to the Illyrian Thorakitai as being just a step below on my preference scale. I prefer the Thracian Katoikoi over them.

I guess my descriptions were also biased in favor of Mediterranean units, but obviously the Celtic Argoi and Drutonedammoi are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Im so with you here. Their looks (besides that standard bearer guy) are pure perfection
    My personal little album of them: http://imgur.com/a/zWkHr

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Im so with you here. Their looks (besides that standard bearer guy) are pure perfection
    My personal little album of them: http://imgur.com/a/zWkHr
    In addition to the standard-bearer, do you guys also plan on creating a new model for the generic Hellenistic general? He's about as bland as the standard-bearer...come to think of it, they look very similar. This stands in stark contrast to the awesome-looking model for Koinon Hellenon's commanders and generals, with their impressive plumage and ornately-colored, unique shield designs sporting motifs like the white Pegasus.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Obviously, I lean towards the Celtic rosters. I like the heavier Gallic units like the Solduroii and the Argoi especially. It's nice how those units actually look different from faction to faction. I also love entire Pritanoi roster, as blue war paint looks awesome on everything. Moving away from my core factions, I love hoplites of all different colors. It's great how they look so different, depending on what part of the world you're fighting in.

Free Kekistan

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    In addition to the standard-bearer, do you guys also plan on creating a new model for the generic Hellenistic general? He's about as bland as the standard-bearer...come to think of it, they look very similar. This stands in stark contrast to the awesome-looking model for Koinon Hellenon's commanders and generals, with their impressive plumage and ornately-colored, unique shield designs sporting motifs like the white Pegasus.
    planned but low priority iirc.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

So Pahlav/Iranic roster has not finished yet any estimation regarding when they might be available?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast