Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite unit?

Default Re: What is your favorite unit?

The Indian Chariot Archers. Both an effective missile unit and a devastating battering ram to the finish off an enemy unit. Provided you can keep an eye on them due to having no skirmish mode and can easily be killed by missiles.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I can also add the Etruscan Hoplites as well. Both a beautiful unit and a tough heavy infantry to crack.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Good choices, Mayers! I've seen all the Indian units thus far via custom battles, but I've yet to actually see what they can do on the battle field. Well, I suppose I have seen one of their units in action so far: the elephants! ...by virtue of fighting Epeiros.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Good choices, Mayers! I've seen all the Indian units thus far via custom battles, but I've yet to actually see what they can do on the battle field. Well, I suppose I have seen one of their units in action so far: the elephants! ...by virtue of fighting Epeiros.
    Oh I forgot another dependable Indian unit, the Indian Light Cavalry.

For light skirmisher cavalry and the description saying they are not for melee, they sure have a powerful melee attack useful for killing even medium cavalry.
    Last edited by Tactics Mayers; January 21, 2016 at 10:26 PM.

Update: I got rid of all the Tumblr pics and have shared links to my Imgur albumbs instead. I've also added a few new pics, including Thracian Katoikoi!

Numidian thureos infantry, cretan archers, spartiates, ligurian swordsmen, whole thracian and illyrian rooster, iranian heavy cavalry, armenian cataphracts, polybian triarii, first cohort, liby phoenician heavy cavalry, persian archers, pedites extraordinarii.

I find it weird that phalangists (except royal ones) are carrying same type of helmet. I expected at least some guys wearing phrygian ones.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Rhomphaiai. I love them, and they make enemies flee so fast the battle is over almost as soon as it has begun.
    Also Kataphraktai and Katapults. I know the latter are not supposed to be used on units, I rarely do so and if I do so they don't kill that many, but they instantly force an entrenched enemy to either take action or to flee.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    whole thracian and illyrian rooster
    LOL. I think you mean roster. Funny typo, though.

The dreaded Illyrian rooster! The bane of the Romans! Woe unto Rome!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    but they instantly force an entrenched enemy to either take action or to flee.
    Such a good point! It's really convenient to have at least one of them on the battlefield if not during a siege when you're trying to knock down a section of the walls. It never fails to goad the enemy into coming towards you, which is great when you have superiority with missile fire. It's especially good when the enemy is being stubborn and trying to hold a hilltop position for a height advantage in the melee. Forcing them to come down the hill ensures victory for your army in some cases where the balance of forces is about equal.

Egyptian rooster is good also. Is there any chance to see more native egyptian and ptolemaic units?

My favorite Gaisatoi but subject to change when some celtic and germanic units comes out.

I really love all of the Illyrian units. There's something really aesthetically pleasing about their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlack103 View Post
    I really love all of the Illyrian units. There's something really aesthetically pleasing about their equipment.
    You know which Illyrian unit I like the most? The Illyrian Thorakitai. The EB II team really didn't make much of a stink about them, but they're really cool, a great supplement to your regular thorakitai as a Hellenistic faction. And they can be recruited from basically only one settlement, and under the right conditions (i.e. making it an allied democracy, not an oligarchy or directly ruled/supervised). I speak of SKODRA! On the Adriatic Sea, of course.

nedes nesamoi!

Armenian cataphracts, marian romans, scythian nobles, armenian guard infantry, caucasian infantry, caucasian/armenian lancers, nabatean agema.

Reason?
    Because they have best quality of textures by far.

The Khamis (the sabean professional army)

There is something incredibly neat and unique about them, being able to rain down arrows from afar, but also representing some of your most dependable troops in melee combat. They present a distinct (and refreshing) increase in professionalism compared to the rest of options available to the Sabean Kingdom.

I like those spanish semi professionals with round shields, falcatas and javelins. Also, I was delighted when I first saw battering ram.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

I've grown to like Nezadgar. They may be the only infantry unit avaliable to Parthia before settling, but despite their suspiciously poor stats, they actually do their role rather well, being capable of engaging in prolonged melees and even be more even than I expected against other melee units and even cavalry.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Classical Hoplites.

Zrehgen Aswar (Parthian Cataphracts). Best cavalry in the game. With a charge of 45 (15 attack plus 30 charge) they destroy most infantry. Also their armour piecing maces mean they cut down any cavalry they tangle with with ease. Coupled with 10 armour making them largely impregnable to arrows (important in the east) they are well worth 580 upkeep.

However what makes them a bargain is the line frighten_foot, frighten_mounted. Only one unit is needed per armour to cripple the enemy with a nicely timed charge. If I had to have only one extra unit to add to any armour it would be these. I dread the day when the team review this unit and tone it down!!

Finally the artwork as always is stunning. Second favourite are probably armenian cataphracts, look even cooler but aren't quite as good. No frighten enemy cavalry.

Can you imagine we still have a heavier version of Cataphracts planned? Can't think what those will do to infantry in charges

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Can you imagine we still have a heavier version of Cataphracts planned? Can't think what those will do to infantry in charges
    I'm listening.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast