Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What is your favorite unit?

Default Re: What is your favorite unit?

I've just started a Roman campaign, but I'm already in love with Hastati. I don't even have to use Principes and Triarii, with a bunch of cheap Hastati is enough to conquer Italy.

blasphemy

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1307 View Post
    blasphemy
    My thoughts exactly. In a game with this much variety, it would be a travesty if all you did was use one unit as your primary infantry unit for any campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by VINC.XXIII View Post
    Cladivetai. They look straight coming from Lucan's poem. Great job.

"[...]Ligurian tribes, now shorn, in ancient days
    First of the long-haired nations, on whose necks
    Once flowed the auburn locks in pride supreme."
    Aye, these guys are pretty cool. Had some fun using them as Roman allies!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    My thoughts exactly. In a game with this much variety, it would be a travesty if all you did was use one unit as your primary infantry unit for any campaign.
    No, no. What I meant was that I'm winning battles without using Principes and Triarii because they are in the battlefield just watching Hastati destroying/routing the enemies so fast they don't even have the opportunity to fight, or just a little.

I'm also using Equites Romani/Sabelli or Hippeis and Hippeis Tarantinoi, Leginu, Tvrm Pes Rasna...

Don't hate me just because I love Hastati.
    Last edited by Shylon; November 30, 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shylon View Post
    No, no. What I meant was that I'm winning battles without using Principes and Triarii because they are in the battlefield just watching Hastati destroying/routing the enemies so fast they don't even have the opportunity to fight, or just a little.

I'm also using Equites Romani/Sabelli or Hippeis and Hippeis Tarantinoi, Leginu, Tvrm Pes Rasna...

Don't hate me just because I love Hastati.
    I don't hate you, bro.

Your tactics actually make sense, considering how the Hastati were historically expected to enter the fray, bear the brunt of frontal assaults, and receive the most casualties, before the lines of Principes would come to their aid. If it came down to the Triarii that meant the Romans were in bad shape and the battle wasn't going well. In our game, however, you basically have to use Triarii or some other spearman unit if you're facing a significant amount of medium or heavy cavalry. Hastati swordsmen aren't sufficient enough to defend against heavy cavalry charges.

Came across this old thread. Want to give a shoutout to Alan Riders (unit, not adult film star).

These guys are badass, even on the steppe. They fire arrows, they run all day, they can charge, they can melee, they fight in tight formation (!). And somehow they do all of this while being cheap as dirt.

Camillan era Hastati are reasonably good well-rounded unit. I think they're so available in Italy because they're supposed to represent not only Romans but the "generic" common Italian tactics for people who weren't Celtic or didn't use Greek panoply. I was using them playing as Carthage and Epirus. They're ok, you won't go bankrupt over making your main line with them AND Italy has a convenient central position in the Mediterranean so shipping them around isn't hard.

Yes, there are much more units on the campaign map than them, Cohors Sociorum, Libyan hoplites, Greek regulars and other middle of the road guys, but I prefer basing my expansion around the units that are easier to replace and not too expensive to keep (if you don't have to disband them then they will keep their experience!).
    Last edited by Satapatiš; January 25, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

If I could make each of my fully stack armies comprised of Galatian cavalry and spearmen retainers forming half of all units, I would.

Seriously, they're among of the coolest units in the whole game, the hybrid meeting of Hellenistic and Celtic arms and armor. They also look totally suitable for Roman armies. It's just a shame that Koinon Hellenon can only recruit the raiders, spearmen and cavalry, not the Galatian colonial swordsmen who fall somewhere between the Machairophoroi and Thorakitai as middling or heavy infantry. They unfortunately can only be recruited in the colonial military settler building available to the Diadochi successor factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    They unfortunately can only be recruited in the colonial military settler building available to the Diadochi successor factions.
    I've heard they weren't very cool fellows in Greece, whether its true or not, they eventually sacked the most sacred place around, or attempted to do so, so perhaps the devs thought It wouldn't be historical to have KH inviting them as colonists

Obviously roman legion. They are powerful, have decent price and most importantly you never ran out of them.

Carthage also this with iberian and samnite but have to wait after reform otherwise you will mostly rely on libyan who are more numerous than even roman but as a line infantry they are rather sub par although it gets the job done.

You'll have less of the regular cohors from the patch onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You'll have less of the regular cohors from the patch onwards.
    Aren't roman greatest strength are their manpower though?

Although i got to agree on roman cavalry because right now i can more easily deploy and replace 4 roman equites per army than if i do the same but with allied cavalry.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567