Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite unit?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default What is your favorite unit?

Greetings, salutations, ave, and Χαίρετε!

What is your favorite unit in EB II, particularly the latest version, v. 2.1b? Mine has to be the brand new "Thorakitai", the Greek/Hellenistic heavy infantry unit wearing breastplate, scale, and chainmail armor. With their colorful plumes, helmets, and thureos shields, they look simply fantastic, no matter which faction is marching them into the field. And you can obtain them relatively quickly in the game (the "Thorakitai Reforms" come around 220 BC or thereabouts). The other new infantry unit that looks phenomenal is the "Phalangitai Agema" pike phalanx, and of course the heavily-armored, chainmail and breastplate wearing Hellenistic cataphracts (Kataphractoi). I'm stunned by all the new heavy Hellenistic cavalry in addition to the hetairoi, like the Molosson Agema, the Lydian Lancers, Kleruchoi Agema, etc. Even the Lonchophoroi Hippeis, a rather meh looking unit in EB I, looks fantastic and vibrantly colored in EB II.

Although the Thorakitai are my indisputable favorite, I have to give the EB II team kudos for the work done on the Roman faction. I'm not referring just to the standard Polybian and later Marian units, either, but also those "Pedites Extraordinarii" and "Cohors Sociorum", the infantry of the Italian allies. What a superb job you guys have done on those!

So, tell us, which new units are your favorites? You could also mention older ones that were great too, like the Carthaginian sacred band or Parthian cataphracts. The new Armenian cataphracts look stellar too! I know there's some new Celtic units, but I just can't remember which ones are new and which ones are old. They all look great, in any case.

On a side note, who was the little genius who thought to incorporate that Indiana Jones quote into the "charismatic" trait description for assassins/spies:

"This man has friends in every town and village. He speaks a dozen languages, and knows every local custom. He can blend in and disappear."

"Does anyone here speak English...or even ancient Greek?"

Marcus Brody would fit right in to EB II.

EDIT: As was requested below by Rad, here are a bunch of pictures of Thorakitai and Hellenistic cataphracts that I uploaded to Tumblr, along with some other new units from various factions (each faction usually has different shields, colors, and patterns for each unit's plumes, shields, capes, cuirasses, etc., so keep in mind each of these units could look drastically different for each faction):

EDIT: I've deleted all the Tumblr images and provided links to my Imgur albums instead. Simply scroll down the page to view all the pics. Enjoy!

KATAPHRACTOI:
    http://imgur.com/a/nnFLs

THORAKITAI:
    http://imgur.com/a/8QA7o

AGEMA PHALANGITAI:
    http://imgur.com/a/bgktB

THUREOPHERONTES TOXOTAI
    http://imgur.com/a/pTQ0e

LYDIAN LANCERS:
    http://imgur.com/a/scj3e

THESSALIKOI CAVALRY:
    http://imgur.com/a/beNBb

LONCHOPHOROI HIPPEIS:
    http://imgur.com/a/zBRRG

2nd EDIT: Via PM, Rad was also interested in seeing Polybian units, since most of the Roman units shown in the previews are later Marian-era units. Therefore, I have taken it upon myself to upload a few pics to Tumblr once more. Enjoy!

TRIARII, PRINCIPES, HASTATI, VELITES, PEDITES EXTRAORDINARII, EQUITES:
    http://imgur.com/a/pa14C

3rd EDIT:Adding images of the new Armenian cataphracts, because they're simply too spellbinding and amazing not to post here as an example of what the EB II team has accomplished.

ARMENIAN CATAPHRACTS:
    http://imgur.com/a/kn12X

4th EDIT: new images of SPARTAN HOPLITES, THRACIAN KATOIKOI, AND THRACIAN PELTENAI:

http://imgur.com/a/5MBze

http://imgur.com/a/LfL5u

5th EDIT:

ASPIDIOTAI HIPPEIS:

http://imgur.com/URJ38pj

KLERUCHOI AGEMA:

https://imgur.com/a/Ckvg4

BAKTRIOI HIPPOTOXOTAI:

http://imgur.com/jvF6AtR

THRACIAN KATOIKOI:

https://imgur.com/a/5MBze

THRACIAN RHOMPAIAPHOROI

http://imgur.com/YohxNi9

THRACIAN CAVALRY

http://imgur.com/a/2W7Vt

LIBYAN SWORDSMEN

http://imgur.com/a/bulel

HYPERASPISTAI:

http://imgur.com/a/gxtt3

Default Re: What is your favorite unit?

My favorite new unit so far would have to be the peltanai, or thraikan peltasts. They have an extremely flexible role as skirmishers and effective flanking infantry and I always keep one in my armies when available.

So far, my favorite unit is the Pedites Extraordinarii.

Other units i like are the Akkadian Infantry and the Peltanai. They look very nice.

Hell yes! Those Thraikan peltastai are actually pretty amazing and versatile. You can tell the enemy fears them the most due to the fact that their archers and slingers always try to target them the most. It's best to keep them out of harms way until the melee begins, and then rush them in to do maximum damage.

I also like the new Akkadian infantry. In fact, I like nearly every new unit in the game, to be honest. If I had to choose a favorite, though, it would have to be the Thorakitai. I actually can't wait until the next big release of EB II, because I'd like to see what the team is going to do with that "placeholder" unit called "thorakitai epilektoi", and whether or not an even more beastly looking unit will be made for that.

Nice to hear about some of the favorite units in the new release. Our artists have been doing some incredible work! I'm pretty partial to the Peltanai, too, but I'm also crazy about how our Polybian and Marian rosters have come out (with a few units left to go, of course). Have you had the chance to play with some Bastarnai yet?

And yes, there is a "beastly" thorakitai epilektoi unit coming along. But there are some map areas that need more love before we finish off it and some other Hellenistic units.

Skep's Avatar Civis

For me the Royal Makedon Peltastai. They are as awesome if not more awesome than the Thracians but since they are so hard to replenish they are my unique hardliners in my Makedon campaign. I take them on every campaign.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Probably the KH general. A small portable piece of battlefield wall.

peltanai for being very usefull good unit
    etruskan hoplites and illyrian phalanks for how they look. especially hoplites, they are awsome and brillant shields

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Probably the KH general. A small portable piece of battlefield wall.
    Actually I dont see been that good. I mean, the unit its great itself. But the unit size is the same to those of cavalry bodyguards while infantry units tend to be larger making the gap between KH bodyguards and the equivalent unit bigger and so proportionally less powerful. But Epilektoi Hoplitai are just so good that even with that problem you still love to have those bodyguards haha.

In my case as preferred unit, I will pick Thesallian Cavalry look wise.
    By performance Pelstatai Makedones and Toxotai Kretikoi.
    The first are just so versatile and powerful at the same time that I just lvoe them. They hold very long agaisnt any units in very unfavourable conditions, and in good conditions they just wreck. I have won battles just thanks for how long they lasted that gave me time to defeat the enemy on the other side and come with the rest of my army.
    The Toxotai Kretikoi are just very versatile too. WHile been great archers their flanking capabilities later are so good. Dont leave them against cavalry though.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Probably the Epeiros Hypaspistai. its beautiful.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Armenian cataphracts, they are led fist in wolfram gauntlet. They ooze man-sweat mixed with horse odour.

The guy who designed them should be given a manor in Media with female harem.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Too much to chose from!! Thorakitai, theureophoroi, kataphractoi, heitairoi, peltastai makedones, hypaspistai, agema phalangitai, elite lancers, all thracian units, armenian royal guard, armenian cataphracts, scythian nobles, first cohort, sacred band, numidian nobles, carthaginian heavy cav, all british celtiberian & iberian units bastarne compainions. That is just a fraction of my fav units. You put so much love in the models that i cant really say tbh hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    Nice to hear about some of the favorite units in the new release. Our artists have been doing some incredible work! I'm pretty partial to the Peltanai, too, but I'm also crazy about how our Polybian and Marian rosters have come out (with a few units left to go, of course). Have you had the chance to play with some Bastarnai yet?

And yes, there is a "beastly" thorakitai epilektoi unit coming along. But there are some map areas that need more love before we finish off it and some other Hellenistic units.
    Oh my God I can't wait to see them! And no, the Bastarnai are probably among the few new units I haven't had a look at yet! I will do so right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skep View Post
    For me the Royal Makedon Peltastai. They are as awesome if not more awesome than the Thracians but since they are so hard to replenish they are my unique hardliners in my Makedon campaign. I take them on every campaign.
    Weren't the "makedones peltastai" also a unit from the first version of EB II, v. 2.01? Even so, yes, they are very awesome, especially the colorful Ptolemaic version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    Actually I dont see been that good. I mean, the unit its great itself. But the unit size is the same to those of cavalry bodyguards while infantry units tend to be larger making the gap between KH bodyguards and the equivalent unit bigger and so proportionally less powerful. But Epilektoi Hoplitai are just so good that even with that problem you still love to have those bodyguards haha.
    Yeah, imagine how dangerous the KH bodyguard would be if they were the same size as the identical-looking Epilektoi Hoplitai unit.

In my case as preferred unit, I will pick Thesallian Cavalry look wise.
    By performance Pelstatai Makedones and Toxotai Kretikoi.
    The first are just so versatile and powerful at the same time that I just lvoe them. They hold very long agaisnt any units in very unfavourable conditions, and in good conditions they just wreck. I have won battles just thanks for how long they lasted that gave me time to defeat the enemy on the other side and come with the rest of my army.
    The Toxotai Kretikoi are just very versatile too. WHile been great archers their flanking capabilities later are so good. Dont leave them against cavalry though.
    Toxotai Kretikoi are tried and true as far as missile troops go, but EB II now has a much better Hellenistic foot archer: the Thureopherontes Toxotai.

The Thureopherontes Toxotai (and their mounted equivalent, the Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai) are much better armored (some wearing suits of iron scale mail) and hence have greater defensive value than the Toxotai Kretikoi. I also kinda like the shield patterns and colors a little more on the Thureopherontes Toxotai.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Probably the Epeiros Hypaspistai. its beautiful.
    I like their variations of color and shield patterns a lot, as opposed to the generic Macedonian one, which looks rather cookie-cutterish to me. Then again it's easier to spot the latter on the field of battle, which is a bonus for the player and certainly would have been in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    Armenian cataphracts, they are led fist in wolfram gauntlet. They ooze man-sweat mixed with horse odour.
    That's a pretty badass thing to say. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    The guy who designed them should be given a manor in Media with female harem.
    Lol. At first I thought this was a reference to "the media", as in the mainstream press, TV news, blogs, newspapers, journals, etc. Then I realized you were obviously referring to the land of the ancient Medes and the Median Empire of antiquity. And then I felt sheepish. But yes, totally, a harem full of belly dancer girls and everything else, wine, grapes, live music, you name it, the EB II team and particularly its graphic artists deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Too much to chose from!! Thorakitai, theureophoroi, kataphractoi, heitairoi, peltastai makedones, hypaspistai, agema phalangitai, elite lancers, all thracian units, armenian royal guard, armenian cataphracts, scythian nobles, first cohort, sacred band, numidian nobles, carthaginian heavy cav, all british celtiberian & iberian units bastarne compainions. That is just a fraction of my fav units. You put so much love in the models that i cant really say tbh hahaha
    I know, right? I mean, just look at my OP; do you have any idea how hard it was for me to pick just one unit? Even then I felt compelled to list a bunch of other ones I considered runner ups as far as my favorites go.

The elite phalangitai of any of the successor states, called agema or silver shields. Those guys are beasts, probably the best infantry in the entire game, even counting the Romans.

The list is long lol.

My most favorite would be a bunch of Roman units.
    Polybian: Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Equites.
    Marian: Cohors reformata, prima cohors, Evocati.

Others.
    Illyrian skirmishers, Celtiberian swordsmen, Dacian light phalanx, Cretan archers, Bosphoran archers/horse archers, Armenian Lancers and Cataphracts. Parthian cataphracts. Peltastai Makedones/Logades. Maybe Celtic light cavalry (the one that gets armor upgrades), but I am never sure haha. Carthaginian Noble cavalry, Sacred Band infantry. Thracian cavalry looks awesome as well.

Greek levy phalanx looks like a decent, cost effective unit.

I would add more, but this is already enough haha, You guys do an amazing job!

Havent seen Thorakitai or Hellenic cataphracts yet because I am unable to play the 2.1 (studies and busted PC), I would really appreciate screenshots of them.

Last edited by Rad; January 16, 2016 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Yeah, imagine how dangerous the KH bodyguard would be if they were the same size as the identical-looking Epilektoi Hoplitai unit.

Toxotai Kretikoi are tried and true as far as missile troops go, but EB II now has a much better Hellenistic foot archer: the Thureopherontes Toxotai.

The Thureopherontes Toxotai (and their mounted equivalent, the Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai) are much better armored (some wearing suits of iron scale mail) and hence have greater defensive value than the Toxotai Kretikoi. I also kinda like the shield patterns and colors a little more on the Thureopherontes Toxotai.
    What I meant about KH bodyguars is that bodyguard size is usually arround 40-50. Then for standard units you have that cavalry are usually arround 75 which makes cavalry bodyfuards close to those in size, while infantry goes 91 for very heavy/elites 121 for normal heavies and goes on. Basially I meant that the relation of bodyguard size/standard unit size s worse for infantry commanders. But they are still great hehe.

About Thureopherontes Toxotai, I have read they are great but I had not the time to play the campaign for that long and I had to erase my saves due to Bogia's mod. Will see eventually. the Kretikoi though till the reforms are one of the best. Is difficult to compare units across reforms as the new ones usually have quite better values in general.

We will either find a way, or make one.

I'm very practical and all my favourite units are the ones well-worth the money I pay for them, not necessarily the best-looking or the strongest heroes

I love the Illyrioi Hippeis for that reason, they are among the strongest cavalry you can get in southern Europe and only cost 337 to upkeep which is spectacular imo. The only cavalry that can beat them usually cost >500

I also like the relatively cheap phalangitai deuteroi from recent releases since they perform nearly as well as the "normal" hellenistic phalanx in my experience (for half the cost).

Illyrioi peltastai are the best cheap javelin-armed infantry in the game hands down at the moment.

Nezagdar—Parthian levy spearmen (called Iranian spearmen in the game, although only available to Pahlava from what I've seen ) are one of the most durable meatshields in the game, with armour of 4 and huge shields of 9 they soak missiles better than anything else in the known world (doesn't sound like a thing to be proud of, though)

Quote Originally Posted by wojtekimbier View Post
    I'm very practical and all my favourite units are the ones well-worth the money I pay for them, not necessarily the best-looking or the strongest heroes

Illyrioi peltastai are the best cheap javelin-armed infantry in the game hands down at the moment.
    Good man,

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Havent seen Thorakitai or Hellenic cataphracts yet because I am unable to play the 2.1 (studies and busted PC), I would really appreciate screenshots of them.
    Ask and you shall receive! I just edited and updated the OP with a bunch of new pictures in spoiler tags above. Go and check them out! Especially those Lydian Lancers, they're so mind-numbingly beautiful and perfect as heavy cavalry! It's the same model used for the Molosson Agema and Kleruchoi Agema as well.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast