Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how did this mod add new regions

Icon5 how did this mod add new regions

Hi, i was just wandering how this mod added new regions, sorry if its already been asked. if its confidential for the mod right now i understand, but if you can say that would be awesome for me and for other modders

Domesticus

Default Re: how did this mod add new regions

It might be confidiential since its the only mod I know that has new regions for Empire

That said though, if you'll notice, they were already on the map. If you play vanilla, and run your mouse over those areas, you'll see their names pop up. LordSith found a way of activating them as real regions and created their cities

Sadly he cant make the trade areas into real regions, except for the east indies, or remap the areas.

CA really screwed the pooch on recent games when it comes to modding. Yay, the glory of DRM, make sure you dont do anything cool, and as far as I know, Steam only allows small mods. Sickening

Not really, there are many games that can be modded extensively on steam. Not to mention that someone added korea into shogun 2 so even in the total war scene there is more being done. However it does seem to require substantially more effort or I would imagine more mods would do it.

VadAntS's Avatar Miles
    Artifex

As i said before the original author of the new regions is russian modder Lom, LordSith only ported his mod (Ultima Ratio Regum) into ID. So only Lom can say how he done it. )) But i think he is not reading this forum.

Domesticus

CPT, I got that mod On Steam, Uanime had to split it up into like 14 parts, and he seems to be confused on how to upload the newest huge version. Imagine the terror Imperial Destroyer would do, something like 100 parts. Im sure theres plenty of great mods on Steam, but as far as I understand, 1GB is the limit for a single mod

And yeah, the Shogun 2 map apparently can be modified greatly, but it requires 3D mapping and LOTS of work as compared to Medieval 2. Sucks, since I was imagining how amazing a Game of Thrones mod would be on the Shogun engine, with its amazing graphics and focus on sword and bow warfare

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kriegtooth View Post
    It might be confidiential since its the only mod I know that has new regions for Empire

That said though, if you'll notice, they were already on the map. If you play vanilla, and run your mouse over those areas, you'll see their names pop up. LordSith found a way of activating them as real regions and created their cities

Sadly he cant make the trade areas into real regions, except for the east indies, or remap the areas.

CA really screwed the pooch on recent games when it comes to modding. Yay, the glory of DRM, make sure you dont do anything cool, and as far as I know, Steam only allows small mods. Sickening
    Its not confidential. Just the thought of someone thinking it is confidential is a detriment to the modding community. That is not what free modding is all about. Shame on you.

VadAntS's Avatar Miles
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by terryman View Post
    Shame on you.
    Shame on you Mr Kriegtooth for your dirty thoughts!
    Last edited by VadAntS; January 18, 2016 at 02:10 PM.

Domesticus

Pfft, ive seen worse hoarding of ideas Im not gonna name names or mention what it is, but on this very forum ive seen a guy who never finished his mod past custom battles SHUT DOWN everyone who tried to finish the mod, or even make a mod using the same theme.

IF LordSith or LOM kept the method of reactivating the regions secret, then thats way down the list than blocking out an entire idea for a mod

Edit: Also, total wild man speculation. Im into mods for Mount & Blade Warband. A couple mods that use artillery. They got permission to use them from another modder since he made it, and they are all similar(1700-Napoleonic Era).

Turns out nobody even understands how it works except to merge in the original coding for it from the original guy.

This could also be a holy relic
    Last edited by Mr Kriegtooth; January 18, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

Pfft, ive seen worse hoarding of ideas Im not gonna name names or mention what it is, but on this very forum ive seen a guy who never finished his mod past custom battles SHUT DOWN everyone who tried to finish the mod, or even make a mod using the same theme.

IF LordSith or LOM kept the method of reactivating the regions secret, then thats way down the list than blocking out an entire idea for a mod

Edit: Also, total wild man speculation. Im into mods for Mount & Blade Warband. A couple mods that use artillery. They got permission to use them from another modder since he made it, and they are all similar(1700-Napoleonic Era).

Turns out nobody even understands how it works except to merge in the original coding for it from the original guy.

This could also be a holy relic
    Well, I didn't mean it in a mean way.

But there is a sense of community in the modding community. Modders aren't required to have open source projects, or even share their methods the moment they find them. But after your work is released I'd expect everyone to share their methods if people ask them. Or else, the methods will die with them. What if they get disinterested in the game and move on never to be seen again? If a modder is done using their "Secret methods" and they've released their work already, then share it if others want to know. Why the hell not? You don't have to share your code, just your methods so others can improve upon your work for years to come!

I've seen alot of selfish people in modding over the years but they are few and they get called out, but most of us think we are all working together to make the same product better.

Also, what mod are you referring to in your edit?

I've also asked this question before and got no response...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post14659643

The method to add regions may be here somewhere:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...04#post8700104

But, I don't see why Imperial Destroyer doesn't share their methods with us.
    Last edited by terryman; January 18, 2016 at 09:15 PM.

Domesticus

Ah, I got you. I read the original post in such a way that it sounded insulting

Yeah, I agree with that. No modder should hold everything so tightly that their methods die with them

As for my edit, I mean mods for Mount & Blade: Warband. The mods in question are L'Aigle and Twilight of the Sun King. Both of their makers got permission from someone who made an earlier mod with artillery. But hes disappeared from the modding scene, and they dont understand how his coding worked, cant teach them how to do it. So they just added the codes he used since his mod was similar to their in time frame

That said, I might have the story wrong

The mod here on this site I mention that the owner of which seems to want to block people from doing, I wont mention since I might get in trouble for my thoughts

Its not Imperial Destroyer by any means though. Im sure that LordSith will share the idea if he has permission from Lom.

Considering that LordSith is from Kyrgzygstan, and I assume LOM is from the Russian total war modding community, there could be a language barrier in explaning it to us English speakers. LordSith speaks English, but who knows about LOM

Edit: Personally, I feel like we should do away with direct permission in mods as long as the original creator of something is thanked and credited. If I was modding, I'd want my name plastered on stuff, but I wouldnt demand people seek me out to ask permission, since I could end up leaving a community, or you know, die or something.

and I mean to imply by talking about story for M&B Warband mods, no offense intended to LordSith whatsoever since he has brought us an amazing mod, but he might not even understand how regions were activated in Empire. It might be a mystery like the artillery guns in the mods for Warband

That said, as far as I know, those regions were activated, as if CA had them blanked out, and no other edits to the map can be done. LordSith is unable to make the other trade region maps into real regions, for example
    Last edited by Mr Kriegtooth; January 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

VadAntS's Avatar Miles
    Artifex

Its not Imperial Destroyer by any means though. Im sure that LordSith will share the idea if he has permission from Lom.

Considering that LordSith is from Kyrgzygstan, and I assume LOM is from the Russian total war modding community, there could be a language barrier in explaning it to us English speakers. LordSith speaks English, but who knows about LOM
    LordSith also speaks in Russian and I speak in Russian too. Because our countries historicaly were in the USSR. )) So LordSith spoke with Lom and got permission. But the main problem is that the way of adding the new regions is very difficult. It's difficult to explain in Russian not to mention in English. Also Lom has very little time for modding now and i think LordSith doesn't know the all aspects of this method. That's why you can't get the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by VadAntS View Post
    LordSith also speaks in Russian and I speak in Russian too. Because our countries historicaly were in the USSR. )) So LordSith spoke with Lom and got permission. But the main problem is that the way of adding the new regions is very difficult. It's difficult to explain in Russian not to mention in English. Also Lom has very little time for modding now and i think LordSith doesn't know the all aspects of this method. That's why you can't get the explanation.
    But not having time to mod is all the more reason to share your findings so others can continue to improve the game. Rather than starting at the beginning again.

Domesticus

Problem there is the language barrier. Lom doesnt have the time to explain it, and might not be able too

Hopefully LordSith can help out one day

It would be good for all mods, and especially ones like the US Civil War, Victorian and WW1 mod Well, if the WW1 wont dead except for custom battle

I'd say the best thing to do would be find the region coding, and then just reverse engineer it. Actually, the best thing would be if CA and Sega werent such greedy DRM lovers, and would release a modding kit for the older games, or if someone could brute force the engine into doing new things, without legal ramifications

*wishes all TW games could be like Medieval 2*
    *wants westeros total war in Shogun 2*
    Crap, everything could work with Shogun 2 since it's engine goes from the middle ages to 1870. You could have literally everything, but its hard to mod with only a handful of playable factions you have to replace

or if someone could brute force the engine into doing new things, without legal ramifications
    WALI can do this. It edits running memory, which is perfectly legal.

However, it would take a longggggg time to figure out how to add new regions using that. New region sizes, boundaries, coordinates, buildings, etc... There is so much information the game needs in order to add a region.

Domesticus

True, but probably too much work, for sadly little gain I guess

Empire doesnt seem THAT popular. But dear god I would LOVE to have China, Japan, South America, and Africa in it

Maybe even Australia.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Can someone post a few screenshots showing the added regions in ID?

I am kinda curious whether it would be worth switching from Darthmod
    Last edited by Badger-dude; February 07, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

Domesticus

I aint got screenies, but I think theres some in the download or discussion thread.

And it is WAY worth it. Imperial Destroyer is built off of Darth Mod, but LordSith has added so many factions, units, and his own tweaks to the CAI and BAI that make the game challenging even on Easy. Then you have Vadant's disease submod that adds in a lot of random events

Its not even a question I say that Imperial Destroyer is the Stainless Steel and Europa Barbaroum of Empire: TW

@VadAntS: could you upload the original mod here ?
    i asked earlier and you gave me a link, but it was in russian and i couldnt figure out how to get the mod
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

VadAntS's Avatar Miles
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by poa View Post
    @VadAntS: could you upload the original mod here ?
    i asked earlier and you gave me a link, but it was in russian and i couldnt figure out how to get the mod
    https://yadi.sk/d/gSvI2k-DT5AJ4 Press the white button Скачать to load the mod.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by VadAntS View Post
    https://yadi.sk/d/gSvI2k-DT5AJ4 Press the white button Скачать to load the mod.
    Is this just VDM or is it ID, or both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast