Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Reports

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Campaign Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkasthevaliant View Post
    I don't monetize either (and I believe Sega doesn't allow people to monetize their games without explicit permission- Sega are rather disliked by YouTubers) but I figure that having ads is worse than not having background music. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
    Aye that seems to be the way of Sega from what I've read, but it seems most people just ignore them and make a declaration in the description. I actually only ever get one ad per video of FATW at the beginning and click to get rid, I don't get any on my RS III LP's afaik

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkasthevaliant View Post
    I don't monetize either (and I believe Sega doesn't allow people to monetize their games without explicit permission- Sega are rather disliked by YouTubers) but I figure that having ads is worse than not having background music. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

For my part, ads never bother me except on music videos. If it helps you, turn the adds on, I say.

Turn 60 now. I do have a bit to show for it.

I am back to selling ceasefires to Rhovanion while waiting for my stacks to return from the far north. I was only able to get 17k for the last ceasefire, so, evidence of diminishing returns there.

If I could just get Rhun to attack Rhovanion I am sure I could get a protectorate, but Rhovanion is still down to just the one FM at Rhovanost, and that is the only province Rhun seems interested in attacking.

RK's assault on Lathron was surprisingly underwhelming. Despite a numerical superiority; at 700 vs 600; RK's forces were repulsed and scattered, with Adunabar suffering less than 200 casualties. RK has not sent another stack in Lathron's direction since, but I have my first produced Wain Bow unit headed there, and expect that will be enough to let me take the settlement on my own.

Adunabar is surprising everybody. Cirith Gorgor is holding out against Rhun so successfully that Rhun isn't even trying to take that fort anymore. Adunabar has besieged Tharbad city itself, and taken back Fornost from RK. Adunabar also tried to take back Lastbridge with three half stacks, but failed. I don't know if that is a reflection of the poor quality of units Adunabar is left with after losing Lastbridge, which should have been their best recruitment center. If Adunabar manages to take Tharbad city I plan to send forces from Dwarrowdelf to take it for myself.

I took Northern Hold next to Gundabad Fortress; only two units in residence; I was able to take out both with my catapult. I will let Northern Hold revolt to get a buffer between me and Adunabar. I sent my stack in the shire to attack Sarnford. Far too many Adunabar troops for me to take the settlement in one go, but my archers and catapult were able to take out close to 500 troops, including the resident Lord, before making an orderly retreat. Two or three more such attacks should be enough to capture the settlement.

I am worried about the Beornings: First that they could repulse three half-stacks of Adunabar with their one defending half-stack. Second, they are still technically my allies, and are now regularly sending their troops through the Brown Lands, currently held by another ally RK. RK and the Beornings are not allied, and this could easily lead to them going to war, forcing me to break my alliance. My best option is probably to break my alliance with the Beornings before any war with RK, but I would like to avoid doing so until I can get Rhovanion as a protectorate.

How do you handle the selling ceasefires process? You've been attacking Rhovanion, I take it - do they approach you requesting a ceasefire, or do you approach them?

I'm also curious how many settlements Rhovanion has left, and how many troops you're able to send against them.

The Beornings shouldn't be too much trouble for you, if they end up fighting you. Especially if you've got some kind of ranged capability - a wain bow or catapult.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    How do you handle the selling ceasefires process? You've been attacking Rhovanion, I take it - do they approach you requesting a ceasefire, or do you approach them?

I'm also curious how many settlements Rhovanion has left, and how many troops you're able to send against them.

The Beornings shouldn't be too much trouble for you, if they end up fighting you. Especially if you've got some kind of ranged capability - a wain bow or catapult.

You can do it either way, but it is easier to get near the maximum amount if they initiate the negotiation as they will give you several chances at counter proposals. Once you get them to counter with a per-turn tribute, you have merely to multiply that tribute by the proposed number of turns and that will be the maximum (approximately) that they will accept as a lump sum "settlement".

Rhovanion has two provinces: Iāth-in-Rhaw and Rhovanost. I have about a stack and a half of units on their territory currently. Close to another two stacks in about two turns. By then I should be at war with them again, and will remain so; I expect; until I get my protectorate.

I just remember the bloody nose the Beornings gave me in my first attempt at a Dwarven campaign. I have been careful maintain a buffer with them throughout my current campaign. If/when we come to blows, I will be sure to come in full force.
    Last edited by Wambat; September 09, 2016 at 10:38 PM.

In my campaign as Dale I have no need to break my alliance and conquer the Beornings other than for adding to my economy at the moment and I'm wondering if it is worth it, or is there something militarily beneficial?
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 10, 2016 at 05:28 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

I don't think it's worth it to betray the Beornings as Dale, personally - unless it looks like they are about to betray you. If you see them start to put armies on or near your territory, you might want to attack them preemptively to potentially avoid losing allies (since the AI factions tend to side with the attacking faction when forced to choose between allies).

The Beorning lands are rather profitable and probably easy for Dale to develop (they are either Homelands or Fiefdoms for you; can't remember). Oldford in particular can get some nice trade going. But it'll still take you time to build them up, and in the meantime you'll be at war with the Beornings, your faction leader will probably lose some Authority (making your generals/governors less loyal/efficient), and you'll lose out on the trade that you currently have with the region.

Also, the Beornings somewhat shield you from factions in the west and south. If Adunabar or Tharbad is doing really well across the Misty Mountains, they can only really attack you if they first take those 2 Orc forts: Gundabad and Northern Hold, I think. That makes it easy for you to defend the area. If you take out the Beornings, western enemies could also attack you across the High Pass, further south. And then, whoever owns the Brown Lands can just march up the Anduin and attack you as well.

But since you have military access with the Beornings, what you *could* do is send a stack through their lands and attack these other factions before they get close to you - projecting your power safely. Make it a real viking raid - plunder some settlements, destroy everything, and move on to the next. The target faction may want to ceasefire with you (since you don't border them), and you can usually get them to pay you a good deal of cash for such an agreement. Just a thought I haven't tried such a strategy with Dale, but it seems to me that they would be really well suited for it, since you can afford to maintain a big raiding army, and said army can be of very high quality, with a good mix of terrifying troops.

I don't think it's worth it to betray the Beornings as Dale, personally - unless it looks like they are about to betray you. If you see them start to put armies on or near your territory, you might want to attack them preemptively to potentially avoid losing allies (since the AI factions tend to side with the attacking faction when forced to choose between allies).

The Beorning lands are rather profitable and probably easy for Dale to develop (they are either Homelands or Fiefdoms for you; can't remember). Oldford in particular can get some nice trade going. But it'll still take you time to build them up, and in the meantime you'll be at war with the Beornings, your faction leader will probably lose some Authority (making your generals/governors less loyal/efficient), and you'll lose out on the trade that you currently have with the region.

Also, the Beornings somewhat shield you from factions in the west and south. If Adunabar or Tharbad is doing really well across the Misty Mountains, they can only really attack you if they first take those 2 Orc forts: Gundabad and Northern Hold, I think. That makes it easy for you to defend the area. If you take out the Beornings, western enemies could also attack you across the High Pass, further south. And then, whoever owns the Brown Lands can just march up the Anduin and attack you as well.

But since you have military access with the Beornings, what you *could* do is send a stack through their lands and attack these other factions before they get close to you - projecting your power safely. Make it a real viking raid - plunder some settlements, destroy everything, and move on to the next. The target faction may want to ceasefire with you (since you don't border them), and you can usually get them to pay you a good deal of cash for such an agreement. Just a thought I haven't tried such a strategy with Dale, but it seems to me that they would be really well suited for it, since you can afford to maintain a big raiding army, and said army can be of very high quality, with a good mix of terrifying troops.
    Hahahaha thanks Count, great minds think alike, actually a "Viking" raid on the blind side was precisely what was in my mind should Harad take Lathron then move further North, I was asking about the Beornings basically as an alternative economical option by comparison really and how it would affect my leaders standing. I was aware of the strategic implications but I would probably have overlooked them in favour of the possibility of more battles
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 10, 2016 at 08:05 AM.

I haven't seen Harad get much farther north than Ost-in-Agarlad, so they *probably* won't threaten you ... but on the other hand it would be rather interesting to suddenly swoop in as the savior of Gondor!

As for your faction leader's standing, it's tough to judge. You'll take an Authority hit for losing an ally and gaining an enemy - but you also can *gain* Authority by capturing Chief Cities (such as Oldford) and by gaining territory. If it was me, I probably wouldn't attack the Beornings in that way unless it looked like they were about to betray me. But of course it's up to you.

I haven't seen Harad get much farther north than Ost-in-Agarlad, so they *probably* won't threaten you ... but on the other hand it would be rather interesting to suddenly swoop in as the savior of Gondor!

As for your faction leader's standing, it's tough to judge. You'll take an Authority hit for losing an ally and gaining an enemy - but you also can *gain* Authority by capturing Chief Cities (such as Oldford) and by gaining territory. If it was me, I probably wouldn't attack the Beornings in that way unless it looked like they were about to betray me. But of course it's up to you.
    I'm also wondering what effects my game difficulty choices will make on my campaign, I originally thought Adunabar would be extremely prominent but now I feel it is Harad, as they are expanding even more aggressively. I will leave the Beornings alone......for now first I will smash the Chiefdom of Rhun and quietly and stealthily attempt to be the savior of Gondor
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 10, 2016 at 01:34 PM.

Turn 65. hitting the fan.

This is the turn all the WotW factions have decided to stop supporting my war efforts financially. It may be my imagination, but I think that was around the same point they turned on me in my Elven campaign.

It is also the turn Rhun decides to finally let me know how they really feel: by besieging Narag-zigil. This led to a bit of a confidence boost as I rashly decided to sally against the besieging force and won: 3 infantry, 2 cavalry, and 2 archers against my 1 BG and 1 Wain Bow. It was a bit foolish as I would have lost the settlement had I not succeeded. Definitely recalled to mind my Elven days; I lost just 3 men from the BG.

I was expecting to resume war with Adunabar right away. I keep setting my units next to their enemies and they keep dodging the bullet. They stupidly sent a four unit stack into Hobbiton and two full stacks of bounders sent them packing. So, now they are at war with the shire; which I wanted, as I really want to get my hands on Michel Delving; but just when they have stopped kicking all the asses in Eriador. They went from besieging Tharbad to now looking like they are set to lose Threeways. The Beornings are now Assaulting Taurdal. I doubt very much that Adunabar will have any more comebacks at this point.

The Isen front is still vacillating back and forth, but I am no longer expecting Dunland to make any progress. RK has shifted too much of its forces to this theater; it is just a matter of time now.

On the subject of shifting too much forces: RK has eastern Gondor nearly undefended. I don't know what they are thinking, what with Rhun piling up stacks on that border. Maybe they know something I don't.

I was able to force Dorwinion into war with Rhun; after having prevented said war the last 50 turns. Despite having most of my forces relatively nearby, I am nervous about the conflict with Rhun. I wanted to have a protectorate I could gift settlements to to give me an instant buffer with Rhun so I could get a quick ceasefire. I will probably just have to use scorched earth, as I do not want to split my forces east and west.

You seem to have much better luck getting factions to pay you for wars. I tried it today as Rohan, asking Tharbad for 1,000 mirian if I attack Adunabar - their enemy - and they refused. This is despite me having gifted them 3 of their settlements back (after capturing them from Dunland), along with thousands of mirian, and despite me paying *them* to attack Adunabar. Of course, this was my only attempt at moneymaking in this way, and I certainly haven't been doing a lot of diplomacy apart from gifting settlements.

Rhun is a good opponent for the Dwarves. They don't have many units that are a real danger; AP units are rare unless they've conquered into North Rhun and are training Great Axes. They tend to go heavy on melee infantry, which you can beat them at. Archers/slingers are maybe the most threatening unit, which you can only really counter with artillery and mercs. But the biggest danger is their sheer numbers and the vastness of their territory, which makes it a bit difficult to get momentum going against them. Probably the best thing you can do is take Raichost and Tham.

I'm around 60 turns in to my Rohan campaign. Dunland is being stubborn, and I'm beginning to worry that I've lost the touch for getting protectorates. I've got over 100k in the bank, and have systematically reduced Dunland to the Misty Mountains Hold. Very early in the war they approached with a ceasefire request, which I agreed to on condition that they hand over some cash and the Fortress of Dol Baran. In the past decade or so, as their towns have fallen one by one, they've asked for ceasefires, to which I've countered with protectorate demands (and 90k or 100k, sometimes with towns). Yet they are refusing to submit. I wonder how I was able to get protectorates so easily with Dale and Harad, and only barely manage to get one as Khand. I'll do the whole siege/lift/siege thing for a while.

Wambat, how long does it take you to get a protectorate? Do you need to keep sieging them for dozens of turns typically? Do they approach you for ceasefire?

I have acquired a protectorate exactly one time; in my ELven campaign; I believe I paid well over 100k for it, and ended up losing it when one of the protectorate's allies attacked me. I think a few factors, like how many factions you and the subject are allied to/at war with, that weigh in, but I also think you need to keep piling troops onto the subject's soil to increase the intimidation factor.

Mind you; in my current campaign I had something like 80% of my forces on Rhovanion's soil and they still refused to submit with an offer of >250k. I am pretty sure their alliance with Rhun may be playing a part here since Rhun has a tremendous military ranking and shares a long border with Rhovanion at this point. Currently I have decided that in order to break the spirit of Rhovanion I am going to have to break the armies of Rhun, so I will probably be sending my Wain Bows though the eastern plains to lay waste to Rhun's settlements until they are willing to pay for a ceasefire.

As far as getting financial support for your war efforts, I find that is most effective early game. I suspect that mechanic in ME2 where AI faction attitudes will gravitate to a set level determined by campaign difficulty is present in RTW, and at Bullroaring this means all factions will hate you by around turn 50 to 70. I make a priority of getting diplomatic contact with the WotW faction as early as possible to take advantage of this income while while everybody doesn't hate me yet.

Gotcha, thanks. I think you're probably right about the alliance playing a role. Also military ranking - the fact that the game keeps graphs of such things is maybe an indication that the AI is somehow keyed into it as well, and may use such rankings to decide on diplomatic offers.

I did get Dunland to submit after another try - sent in a diplomat with the Map Info offer; they countered w/ ceasefire & a demand for 57k & map info; I countered with protectorate, 100k offer, and map info; they accepted. For some reason, though, when I attack Adunabar (Dunland's ally), Dunland doesn't side with me, the attacker. I tried waiting a few turns and then attacking Adun, but Dunland seems consistently to side with them. That is extremely problematic, for obvious reasons. I can't not fight Adunabar; I've spent much of the campaign defending the RK from them. Oh well. Making Dunland a protectorate doesn't seem to be terribly worthwhile for Rohan anyway; you've got enough money to fight on 2 fronts handily, so you don't particularly need them as a buffer against Tharbad. I probably should've just kept them bottled up, and gone with extorting them for ceasefires.

I just started an RK campaign, so I may try the financial support thing - but I'm getting a lot of "thanks but no thanks" replies for my alliance offers with other WotW factions. Probably because I'm one of the biggest factions on the map.

"Also military ranking - the fact that the game keeps graphs of such things is maybe an indication that the AI is somehow keyed into it as well, and may use such rankings to decide on diplomatic offers". If that be true Count then do you not think if you have a strong & an aggressive gameplay that is having success, then that would have others looking to make diplomatic platitudes towards you rather than you to them? As you may have noticed I have a sort of Neanderthal "me stronger than you " approach, I don't usually ask for alliances or ceasefires because that hands the initiative to them in my book, I will only accept when offered (on my terms) if and when they are suitable to me.
    I am always the dominant one, using confidence in negotiation, strength & power of mind in war creates fear!!!!!
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 12, 2016 at 03:15 AM.

I think that's true, to a degree - I have certainly only been able to get a faction to become a protectorate by overwhelming force. It's also true, apparently, for ceasefires: the best chance you have of getting a ceasefire offer, usually, is after you have beaten the enemy really severely and are about to finish them off. (Of course, by then you may be in no mood to accept any peace offers!)

But money is also part of the equation; I think you have to have both military dominance *and* a willingness to be generous if you want to get some of the big diplomatic prizes.

Dwarf Campaign update: Summer FA 426

Gondor is lost to Harad. All that remains of the RK in Gondor seems to be that fortress that butts up to Dunland. On the other hand, I got sick of watching the RK struggle against Adunabar in Arnor, and decided to go after them in force. I captured Bree, Fornost, Weathertop, Tirn-Ferval (sp?) and that town just NW of Lastbridge and successfully gifted them to the RK. Interestingly, on a couple of those cases, the RK declined the gift until I repaired some of the buildings and walls damaged in the attacks AND pacified the provinces. After that, they apparently were much more attractive gifts.

I also captured Lastbridge and Rivendell keeping the first for myself and gifting the latter to the Elves. Tharbad is beating back Adunabar further south after they captured the Minhiraith provinces, and I'm feeling confident Adunabar will
    not rise to a strong power again with the few minor provinces they still retain, so I offered them a Ceasefire, which they actually accepted.

Back in Gondor, however, things have take a interesting turn: Rohan, apparently thanks to my earlier some 30,000 mirian gift, have raised a substantial force and are attacking Harad, driving them out of Minas Anor, Pelargir, an are working their way back west. It may be that Harad bit off more than they could
    chew.

Back in the north, I allowed Rhun to destroy Dorwinion, and now they've decided to go after.....wait for it......Harad! Hahah! Yes, it appears Rhun's next conquest will be heading back into Mordor from the North and East. This gives me ample time to.......keep making money and developing some
    of m new acquisitions, I guess.

My next moves will probably be to build up a countering force round Narag Zigil in case Rhun does decide to turn on me early, or go after Dale. And see to Adunabar's end in the north.

Hah, I love it when you have 2 big threatening factions that decide to fight each other! I almost never see Rhun & Harad go to war in my campaigns, though.

Hah, I love it when you have 2 big threatening factions that decide to fight each other! I almost never see Rhun & Harad go to war in my campaigns, though.
    I was also surprised. I think maybe it's because I allied early on in the campaign with Rhun, and also because I took no hostile action when Rhun attacked
    my other ally, Dorwinion. I know, deep down, it's only a matter of time. And I got about two stacks full of Wain Bows and Catapaults ready to go when it does.

Nice I'd think you're getting close-ish to victory by now?

Just started a RK campaign yesterday. Man, I love the start to that campaign. There's so much tension, and those first few turns take a long time, as you maneuver your armies and fleets just so, and fight some of the most crucial battles of the game.

I've learned from my past RK sessions and am trying something a bit more aggressive. In western Gondor, I assembled what troops I could under 2 poor FMs and marched them north, to rebel-held Erindol. I'm just sieging the settlement until it starves. Erindol isn't a great settlement, but if you let Dunland take it, they will eventually sweep around the White Mountains, or throw themselves at Thoronburg Keep. Also, this way I can hopefully help Rohan in the region.

In the Dol Amroth and coastal area, I gathered an army with 3 FMs and sent it to take the island of Tolfalas. I've typically avoided taking it, because it can become a target for Harondor, whom I'd preferred to keep as an ally or trade partner. But this way, Harondor will hopefully focus on taking the island back rather than besieging Dol Amroth. So far so good. The next phase of the plan is to take this army and sail it south to take the Umbar region, now that Harad is involved in wars with both its neighbors. But I need to either bite the bullet and spend money on upgrading Tolfalas toward walls, or be really vigilant with my fleets, lest a Haradrian army land and take the settlement right back.

In the Ithilien area, I've just taken Cair Andros and Minas Ithil. Usually I'm more aggressive here, but this time I'm taking it a bit slow, as I realize that MI should be a relatively easy place to hold thank to its custom battle map, and I don't want to overextend myself in Mordor. I may need to send that army west toward Rohan, as they're being threatened by Adunabar; take Anorien on my way and then probably take Emyn Arnen and dig in for a while.

And in the North, things are holding fairly steady. I assaulted Threeways early on, but needed to scramble those troops to meet up with my other meager forces near Fornost, so I lost Threeways to Adunabar. Still, I took Fornost (from the rebels) for myself, and took Taurdal as well. Just fought an epic siege defense there - 1,700 Orc- and troll- troops vs my 700 or so. That chain rout was incredibly satisfying There are still some troll units around, but hopefully that was the bulk of Adunabar's northern army. Next, I plan to take Lastbridge, and then Adunabar should be pretty much crippled in terms of their recruitment, even though they have taken some far northern towns.

Money is tight. I'm currently making around 1,800 per turn, but I have been spending more than that on training, boats, and occasional building. Hopefully that will change once I am free to go on the offensive against Harad in the south.

Money is tight. I'm currently making around 1,800 per turn,

RK is in a good position to rake in tons of diplomatic income early on due to the large number of battles it is committed to. I always try to take advantage of that in an RK campaign.

But I need to either bite the bullet and spend money on upgrading Tolfalas toward walls, or be really vigilant with my fleets, lest a Haradrian army land and take the settlement right back.

Another option that can be exercised for Tolfalas is to cover the entire coastline with units. This may not be practical if you don't have the units to spare, but if you do the AI will not be able to land troops

Turn 70. The most fun I have had yet in this campaign, even though still not developing according to my designs.

Dale took Gaurgaul; bribery again, I guess. I was happy for them, but also a little depressed that, at that point in the campaign, my "passive" partner had expanded just as much as I had, not counting petty provinces.

It is really quite strange how bashful North Rhun has been. They have been "at war" with Dale this entire time, and Dale has had minimal troops on their eastern border for most of the campaign, but North Rhun has not so much as sent a stack in Dale's direction the entire time. It has six full stacks all just huddled around Fornhūd.

Now that I have Dorwinion at war with Rhun, they seem to have lost their taste for Rhovanion; sending several stacks eastward over the north of the Sea of Rhun. Still no sieges going on in the east, however. I have started producing spies and rogues to send over there.

Adunabar's obsession with Sarnford is costing it, as it's soft underbelly in eastern Eriador is being gobbled up by the Beornings. I am inclined to try to take some of the pressure off Adunabar by starting a war between the Beornings and Dale. I do not want too many wars on my plate, so I will wait until I have concluded business with Rhun and Rhovanion, unless the Beornings don't give me that time.

Whats happening with Rhovanion and Rhun? Well, I had another confidence building encounter with Rhun's papier-mache armies. Roughly 3/4 stack of my own took out two full stacks from Rhun in one field battle; over 2000 of Rhun's men lost to only 40 of my own. I didn't even have Catapults or Wain Bows in my stack. Now that's more like it.

Rhovanion gave me a decent payoff for a ceasefire; I will get back to them once I have dealt with Rhun; and boy is Rhovanion pumping out the units. My plan is to kick Rhun out of the Wilderlands west of the Sea of Rhun. I have already kicked them out of Braig Estolad; once I take Erebost and Lith-morchant from Rhun I will probably let both revolt and besiege them until I am ready to hold them or gift them to a protectorate. Then I can get my ceasefire from Rhun and concentrate again on beating Rhovanion into submission. Now that all the WotW factions are no longer willing to give me free money, I am free to make alliance with both Rhun and North Rhun, which should diplomatically isolate Rhavanion when I attack them again.

I finally got my hands on both Sarnford and Lathron. I was able to go to war with Adunabar once again when they repulsed RK's siege of Fornost. Despite Adunabar's obvious weakness, neither RK nor Tharbad are making any headway in Eriador. But, being beset on all sides, Adunabar was quick to grant me both provinces in an immediate ceasefire. I love the huge stacks of tiny 12 man garrison units that come with the diplomatically acquired settlements. They will come in handy to protect my open plains settlements in Wilderland from enemy spies and rogues.

A comment on Wain Bows: Fun to use; take a lot of managing in field battles due to constantly getting stuck on rocks; but holly-hell do they hurt the pocket-book. I have only built six of these and their upkeep has already got me into negative income. So much for my dreams of fielding stacks of these things to ravage the eastern plains. I think I will end up having to scrap most of the ones I have built once I have things under control around Narag-zigil.
    Last edited by Wambat; September 20, 2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: edit to remove false information