Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign Reports

Default Re: Campaign Reports

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBunnies View Post
    I'm interested in how your elven campaign goes; I always found them economically challenging early on, and I'm curious about how the addition of rebellion will effect that.
    Do Elves and Dwarves suffer rebellion? I have experienced it in either of my campaigns with them. Or will this be implemented in a later patch? If so, will make some of those campaigns harder - especially against Adunabar in Eriador.

Previous post should say have NOT experienced this....is there an edit post button I'm missing?

The new patch that just came out (3.1) adds rebellion for elves and dwarves, and the custom settlement of Helm's Deep.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Was my news post about the new patch somehow not prominent enough?

Something very strange just happened. Turn 3 of my Elven campaign and RK just declared war by attacking Glorfindel in Bree-land on his way to Rivendel.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

There's more of a risk of that now, since the permanent alliance has been removed. Best to take him South past Sarnford and Threeways (just as fast).

Well, my plan now is to take Anuminas and Bree; unless Adunabar takes Bree first; and then get a ceasefire with RK. My surprise was that RK would attack without cancelling our military access agreement. I have not encountered such a thing before.
    Last edited by Wambat; March 16, 2016 at 12:59 PM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Well, it is quite weird. I wouldn't expect it to happen often (though now I'm going to go test if it does or not).

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I've been playing the Elves. I wasn't attacked by anyone as I went eastward with Glorfindel, though I think I did not go past Annuminas. I was attacked by Adunabar with one full stack after the other as I neared Lastbridge. Second battle saw a troll knock poor Glorfindel all the way back to Mithlond. Still, he took down about 3000 enemy in the 2 battles before he died

I captured Lastbridge and have kept hold of it despite many assaults by Adunabar. I dare not try to take Rivendell yet, not until I have built up more strength.

In the east the Elvenking's Halls were attacked by Dale. They've assaulted me at every occassion. I eventually sallied out and took Esgaroth where I lost a few Elves due to the wall ballistae I hadn't counted on.

Thranduil has just departed into the West and Dale has besieged the Halls with a full stack. I doubt I will be able to withstand the assault without a BG unit - I rely on them to kill a third to half the enemy and protect all the other troops.

I've had 3 new FMs as of around 390. One was in the Halls and he is now in Esgaroth. The other 2 have popped up in Forlond - one has been sent to Lastbridge on his own and the other is going to govern Mithlond because the FM there couldn't help himself and hopped on a boat back West. I like the idea that one should rely on FM BGs.

Adunabar are coming strong at me at Feorfeld too, a town I grabbed quite early on. I am training Elvellyn there now.

Ancs seem to be appearing more regularly - though Elves win by large ratios and so will trigger more often the ancs I have seen (traitors, heroes, etc.).

I've not looked at the traits properly, but have seen a few Somewhat Learneds.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I have restarted my Elven campaign a couple of times now. First to try the suggested southern route to Rivendell in hopes of avoiding an early war with RK; at first I had some blood-lust, but ultimately the battles with RK stuck in my craw. The second time because I accidentally made a map trade proposal to RK, in response to which they unilaterally cancelled our alliance. It seems RK starts the campaign pissed at the Elves and just waiting for a chance to spit in their wine. They have plenty of Adunabar stacks to fight, but seem content to let Glorfindel take them all on. This campaign is rather undermining my respect for the champions of the West.
    I have been attacking the Independents straight off. Think that might have them miffed?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    I've had 3 new FMs as of around 390. One was in the Halls and he is now in Esgaroth. The other 2 have popped up in Forlond - one has been sent to Lastbridge on his own and the other is going to govern Mithlond because the FM there couldn't help himself and hopped on a boat back West. I like the idea that one should rely on FM BGs.
    You might be shooting yourself in the foot relying so much on FMs to win your battles. That deprives you of all the FMs you might otherwise get through battlefield promotions.

True. I'm a very cautious player

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Noldor Swords are particularly good at generating Family Member candidates.

WRT Elven RK relations, they haven't been changed from the last version, and are already set pretty much as high as the engine allows at game start. Not immediately obvious why in your campaign they were in such a hurry to get rid of you, but that hasn't been my experience. Of course, I generally do as little diplomacy (particularly with allies and neighbours) as possible.
    Last edited by webba84; March 18, 2016 at 05:53 AM.

Didn't the superfaction designations change with the patch? I thought that was the explanation for why Dale would attack the Elves now - my impression was that the Elves now had just a regular alliance, which the AI is much more likely to disregard. I would also think that if the AI (including allies) is starting to see the Elves as more of a target, the relatively small Elven armies would look rather tempting.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Have you confused RK with Dale there? Dale has always attacked the elves.. (though now in the elven campaign the dwarves won't join them).

The superfaction designation has of course been removed from the elves in the elven campaign, but there was never any indication that the superfaction designation was preventing or discouraging any factions from attacking the elves when they are player controlled, superfactions seem to only protect from ai attention if they share the same superfaction (the elves dont share a superfaction with anyone).

Even in the regular campaign the alliance between the RK and the Elves is not a permanent one, (they just happened to both have superfactions, the RK superfaction is an unplayable one that it shares with Rohan, the elves superfaction is themselves).

Generally speaking the AI doesn't attack AI elves or dwarves not because they are superfactions but because their armies are incredibly powerful (small, but powerful). Where they are weak the ai will attack them (most noticably the Dwarves at Narag-zigil).

I'm probably not explaining this clearly - TLDR the alliance between the RK and the Elves is exactly the same as it was before.

Ah, well, it seemed from some of the feedback that Dale was attacking the Elves earlier than they had previously. My own very limited experience with the Elves prior to the patch was that the Beornings would attack you after a while, but I was never attacked by Dale. Or the RK, for that matter, but that's probably just because they were too busy getting destroyed by Adunabar.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Never got attacked by Dale, except perhaps once or twice later on the campaign if I didn't keep a strong garrison in the Halls, as the Elves, or ever by RK that I can remember. Beornings, yes.

Dale were very aggressive toward my new Elven campaign - went for the capital within a few turns. It was a bit of a shock to the system for me to have to slaughter thousands of Bardings

webba84's Avatar Artifex

This is very strange to me. I've played full 3.0 and 3.1 campaigns and there was no noticeable difference in ai behaviour between them (attacked by dale, beornings, not attacked by RK). In fact, I've been attacked by Dale in every elven campaign I've played going back all the way to before open beta, and always around the middle of the campaign (never early or late) - it's quite a surprise to hear that this is not the case for some people.

Warrants further testing, I think.
    Last edited by webba84; March 18, 2016 at 09:43 PM.

Just had a first in my Elven campaign. I accepted an adoption only to be informed the fellow had died. Crazy thing is, I wasn't that excited about the candidate in the first place given his stats, but the Elves are starved for units. Anybody else have that happen to them before?

The only time I've ever been informed a candidate for adoption died is if he was a captain who won a heroic defensive battle while it is the AI's turn. Then when it comes back around to being your turn and the message pops up, it says that he has died before he was able to be adopted (which is a bug in vanilla RTW too). That's the only way I've ever seen that happen though, so if that isn't the case I'm not sure what it might be.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yup, its a vanilla bug. Happens to me quite a lot (and it's particularly infuriating when its the elves. And when it's in Rivendell.)