Thread: Revolts/civil war in Hellenistic monarch

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Revolts/civil war in Hellenistic monarch

In particular the above title refers mostly to the Seleukids and Ptolemies. Having campaiged many times with both factions I am of the opinion that they need to be made more difficult.
    In reality the Seleukids lost their empire to the Parthians, because they could never leave Syria -except Antiikhos VII- because they were too busy fighting each other. Plus there's the Hasmoneans.
    Again the Ptolemies in fighting and native revolts crippled the state.
    None of these major challenges ever need be faced by the player. I have to try hard to loose regions to the Parthians to get a challenge. Plus I promote the growth of the Roman Republic hoping that they will arrive to present a challenge.

Default Re: Revolts/civil war in Hellenistic monarch

Both factions do have mechanics in place which trigger internal unrest. There's the business of the Akitu keeping the Seleukid FL close to Seleukeia, lest he trigger revolts in Babylonia. The Ptolemaioi FL causes unrest by being away from Alexandreia and over-recruitment of the Machimoi class causes revolts in the Thebaid.

You might argue they aren't triggered readily enough or aren't severe enough, but they are there.

Perhaps it's just that, it's not triggered often if at all. Plus I think they require extra revolt triggers. Just my opinion, need more challenge a Jewish revolt, Alexander Balas etc. Full stack armies of Seleukid troops under a Hellenistic usurper (rebel) late on more often
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; May 16, 2022 at 04:02 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I knew about the Ptolemaic faction leader trigger in regards to Alexandreia, but was unaware about the Machimoi recruitment causing unrest, or the Seleucid faction leader causing unrest by being away from Seleukeia. Cool! Good to know, so +1 rep.

To be honest, I think the present game version 2.35a R3.5 is fairly challenging enough. When I played previous versions I had to go out of my way to keep my finances below or hovering around 100,000 mnai (to avoid corrupted governors), building up my Mediterranean navy for no reason since the entire sea would already be in my possession at that point. Now I struggle to stage enough troops along the extensive borders of my empire as Koinon Hellenon, with a rebel spawn script that is far more aggressive than in the past. You can no longer just leave your interior provinces lightly garrisoned or ungarrisoned anymore and for that you must pay a hefty cost. If left unchecked, multiple rebels can spawn in the same province over the span of a few years, causing massive unrest, loss of provincial tax and trade income, and even a potential siege by a rebel army. I would say the human player will have a challenging game no matter the faction chosen now.

I wouldn't mind making Egypt more rebellious but far richer because for all of Ptoleamic boasting of their "wealth" they certainly cannot keep up with Seleucid.

Seleuicd start with 3 field army and 2 equal army garrison with zero income while Ptoleamy start with 3 field army and 1 equal army garrison but lost 5000 gold per turn which more or less force you to disband some of your early army.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Perhaps it's just that, it's not triggered often if at all. Plus I think they require extra revolt triggers. Just my opinion, need more challenge a Jewish revolt, Alexander Balas etc. Full stack armies of Seleukid troops under a Hellenistic usurper (rebel) late on more often
    It's a gameplay balance. It can't be so strict that it feels like "history on rails" or becomes annoying. If you ignore those mechanics altogether, there will be consequences, but they're not ever-present.

If you take your Ptolemaioi king overseas to lead wars elsewhere, eventually Thebaid will revolt. If the Seleukid FL never bothers to come back to Seleukeia in the spring, Babylon will rise. But in neither case are they required to stay there permanently, lest they cause unrest.

Perhaps counter to that as a Hellenistic monarch it's expected by their army and subjects that he lead the army.in the case of the Seleukids if the Basileos did not make his presence felt across the arche it would weaken hold of satraps/stategoi.