View Poll Results: Should they receive a buff?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 87.80%
  • No

5 12.20%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Community Vote] AI Captain Stack versus Player FM Stack

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default [Community Vote] AI Captain Stack versus Player FM Stack

As usual before making this change the question is what does the community want, there are currently no buffs.

Would you like to see an AI led captain stack receive a buff when you attack them with a family member?
    Last edited by z3n; January 13, 2016 at 05:55 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: [Community Vote] AI Captain Stack versus Player FM Stack

Maybe a very, very, very minor one. Like +1 morale. I feel the gap between butchering captain-led armies like kittens and having basically every battle be your worst nightmare whether you like it or not is too narrow to give them more buffs.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Maybe a very, very, very minor one. Like +1 morale. I feel the gap between butchering captain-led armies like kittens and having basically every battle be your worst nightmare whether you like it or not is too narrow to give them more buffs.
    To be clear, there are currently no buffs.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Definitely a good idea to buff morale.
    Any other AI things on the way?

I agree they do need a buff but perhaps no more than +1, at the current pace they do rout easily. Another thing to consider however by 100-200 turns in game, there would be multiple captain led stacks. It might be a concern to raise morale as it would definitely make it harder to defeat large empires (not saying that currently its an easy task to do).

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i´m pro buff
    play usually on vh/vh and as rome i could rout+defeat the northern italian rebel stacks with a 1:7 kill ratio easily.

If this could be made an optional part of EB II I agree to buff them.
    There are many people playing VH battle difficulty and still achieving heroic victories (see Tartaros' post above).
    Others - like me - struggle with the (fantastic) battle AI at medium already.

Also - it's a huge difference if you attack a celtic AI stack with Rome - or a ptolemaic/seleukid AI stack as Saba....

So:
    if players can decide to install that or not - very much in favour of it.
    If it's a fixed part of the AI - against it because I prefer not every battle being a complete slaughter of my forces due to my limited battle tactics skills.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Definitely buff.

Hey Zen, been meaning to get back to you on the AI stuff for a while but been really busy, sorry about that!

The AI captain led stacks absolutely need a buff, I'm currently fighting off the Seleucids on VH/VH who are throwing nothing but 3/4 and full captain stacks at me, they invariably break within 5 minutes of fighting. The tactics employed are much, much better than they once were, there's a lot of flanking going on - I've even had enemy cavalry charge my line from behind - a first in Total War for me. The issue is that these tactics demand morale enough to carry through, many units will be some distance away from their leader resulting in a quick morale drop.

You're doing great work and battles are just getting better and better. Looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with next!

EDIT: Might be good if someone created a thread dedicated solely to battle AI, would be easier to read through and collect data in one place no?

Awww screw it, let have more fun. +1 morale buff, and make it mandatory, so we cant chicken out of it lol

I thought that very hard battles give moral and stamina boost to the AI units, either way I am OK with those boosts only.

Not sure players will even notice the difference here...

Im ok with the buff as long as they will still be worse than a FM led stack.

We will either find a way, or make one.

I think it should be a small buff, as well, a +1 morale boost perhaps. I definitely think most FMs(assuming they don't have negative traits) should still give a better morale boost than a captain, however.

I definitely think most FMs(assuming they don't have negative traits) should still give a better morale boost than a captain, however.
    It's AI only, so what does it matter how captains are doing compared to FMs?

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

My vote would be to make the buff optional, either on installation or via "official mod".

Forgot to finish :/

In that way, you come a lot closer to pleasing both sides.

Based on the poll there really arent 2 sides.
    Morale is way too low right now anyway. I dont even see this as a buff...its basically a fix.

Noone should be playing M2TW battles below VH, either way. Whatever the mod (BC, SS, TA or EB...). I get people might be shy to upgrade to VH, especially if it's above recommended, but also I'm pretty sure there's nobody who'd downgrade back to medium or another lol-AI-run-away-on-touch difficulty level after having seen VH and how easy it (still) is... So give it a try.
    Last edited by delra; January 14, 2016 at 04:15 PM.

What about morale update "reforms" for AI as the game progresses just like the armor upgrade reforms.

So AI troops get +1 morale at turn 60, +2 morale (total) at turn 120, +3 morale (total) at turn 240, etc, or
    tie it to the (max) number of settlements AI has.

I thought the point of an AI FM was the morale boost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast