Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The revenant

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The revenant

Yeah i am talking about the DiCaprio film. I really liked it. Didnt know you could sleep inside a horse wtf?

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The revenant

Leo never did a mediocre movie, none.

Leo's a better actor than people give him credit for. I kinda saw it sort of in The Man in the Iron Mask, but I was still young enough to be eww Titanic but Jeremy Irons and Co kicking ass! But when he was owning the screen with the ensemble in The Departed I started going back and watching stuff like Catch Me If You Can.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

well, you can sleep inside a tauntaun....

ive heard the imagerie can be a bit....trippy at times, does it really get weird, like the character hallucinating and stuff? like, in, obnoxiously artsy?
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; January 14, 2016 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    ive heard the imagerie can be a bit....trippy at times, does it really get weird, like the character hallucinating and stuff? like, in, obnoxiously artsy?
    Yea he has alot of.. episodes. Some pretty artsy stuff otherwise in the movie, fits in a bit more than the hallucinations though (in my opinion atleast). Laughed a little at that horse when I saw it, don't know what it was. Something about the situation overall just made it feel absurd.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The vision's/flashbacks never really feel out of place, they help to break up the scene's where DiCaprio is on his own, which is for a lot of the film. This is one where I'd say don't go in with any preconceptions. It's a raw and gritty film with lots of action.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

I greatly enjoyed it. It's bluntly brutal. I like Di Caprio, but it's not because he has a different role than usual that it's deserves that much praise, he does his job well enough though, but for me it's the director that deserve the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Didnt know you could sleep inside a horse wtf?
    Napoleon's soldier did that during the retreat in Russia. Not sure if you have to do it naked....

I always thought that getting wet is what kills you in that climate.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Ugh dosent premier until a week here. Is this Karma because we got Star Wars a week before? Goddamnit.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Can you fix the title it's so annoying.

Default Re: The Revenant

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Can you fix the title it's so annoying.
    You could've. By being not lazy enough to go Advanced. Holy crap.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

The original literary concept of surviving inside a carcass is Jack London's "To Build a Fire". It used to be required reading for teenagers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Build_a_Fire
    More angry over the accident than concerned for his own safety, the man builds a fire under a tree to dry his clothes as sensation begins to fade from his extremities. The snow from the tree's loaded boughs eventually tumbles down, extinguishing the fire and frightening the man for the first time. He gathers materials for a new fire with and lights it with great difficulty, burning himself with his matches in the process, but accidentally pokes it apart while trying to remove a piece of moss. He seizes hold of the dog, planning to kill it and use the carcass for warmth; however, he finds that he can neither draw his knife nor strangle the animal with his frozen hands. In a final desperate attempt to warm himself up, the man tries to run along the trail but repeatedly stumbles and falls. Finally understanding the truth of the local residents' warnings about the cold, the man succumbs to hypothermia and dies, imagining himself to be with "the boys" as they find his body the next day.
    The dog watches the man's body for some time, not understanding why he is not moving or a building a fire. When it realizes that he is dead, it hurries off along the trail, toward a campsite where other men can provide fire and food.[2]
    Here's the problem, the director was so obsessed with natural lighting, that important wood lore and tracking was on the backburner. You're talking about one of the greatest survival stories, yet the character does things that would have killed him.
    A debris hut is the standard not that garbage in the film. No woodsman would build an open fire while being stalked but might build a Dakota Hole variation.

However we briefly got some ahistorical Native American characters. The gorgeous Grace Dove who plays his wife being a total but delightful fiction.

http://www.historynet.com/hugh-glass...ant-legend.htm
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 16, 2016 at 02:25 AM.

No Oscar worthy performance in it which means he'll probably get one. Leo was simply miscast. Still looks too young.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

There are several compelling tales of survival, and I hope that some budding independent film maker and actors use this genre to make more of them. This knowledge known for millennia could be lost from practical skills entirely over the next 50 years.

It's why it needs to be taught to sons and daughters even when under age 12. It's why Outward Bound was invented. It's why there was a resurgence in Native American lore, new schools like Tom Brown's, military survival schools, etc.

It's even an aspect of the Back-to-the-Land movement.

Tracking, fishing, orienting, hunting, trapping, flintknapping, pottery, woodcarving, shelter-building, fire-building, tanning, etc might be lost entirely.

Jim Bridger who was one of the men who helped Hugh Glass, went on to become a mountain man himself.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bridger
    James Bridger, known as Jim Bridger (March 17, 1804 – July 17, 1881), was among the foremost mountain men, trappers, scouts and guides who explored and trapped the Western United States during the decades of 1820–1850, as well as mediating between native tribes and encroaching whites. He was of English ancestry, and his family had been in North America since the early colonial period.[1]
    Jim Bridger had a strong constitution that allowed him to survive the extreme conditions he encountered walking the Rocky Mountains from what would become southern Colorado to the Canadian border. He had conversational knowledge of French, Spanish and several native languages. He would come to know many of the major figures of the early west, including Kit Carson, George Armstrong Custer, Hugh Glass, John Fremont, Joseph Meek, and John Sutter.

This is a mostly accurate story of Jim and Jennifer Stolpa and their newborn child.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbo...r_Stolpa_Story
    Snowbound is based on a true story. Jim and Jennifer Stolpa and their infant son Clayton are 500 miles from their home in Castro Valley, California, when they lose their way and are stranded in an endless wilderness of deep snow in northern Nevada, east of Cedarville, CA. They battle for survival against the elements when Jim Stolpa drives too far down a snow-covered road and gets stuck during a snowstorm. Using only meager supplies and resourcefulness, the young couple struggles to keep themselves and their son alive in a frozen shelter while awaiting rescue. Realizing they will not be found and out of supplies, Jim ultimately strikes out on a courageous 50-mile walk through the snow alone, determined to reach help and return to save his loved ones before they die.
    Jim and Jennifer's story was also used as the plot for the "Lost in the Snow" episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive. The episode originally aired November 3, 2005, and featured Les Stroud analyzing the Stolpas' actions and showing the viewers how to be better prepared for such a situation.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 17, 2016 at 02:15 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I grew up watching Grizzly Adams (Dan Haggerty died just last week), though that show was very Disney-esq. Of the Genre 'Jeremiah Johnson' is my favorite.

Just a couple related notes.

Here's a scale of bear types with Kodiak bears being humongous. I encourage parents to take their kids to an excellent natural history museum so they get the wonder and sense of scale. The talons can be 5 inches long (12.7 cms).

Here's a Guardian article about Greg Boswell, a climber who was attacker by a grizzly bear, had to climb down, walk back to his vehicle, drove himself to the hospital, and survived.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nadian-rockies
    The excellent survival film, The Edge.

Several cursewords.
    The okay Backcountry film. I think it's the smaller more common black bear.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; January 17, 2016 at 09:00 PM.

Also the CGI bear looked silly.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Did Leo screamed and cried good in this movie?

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Here's the problem, the director was so obsessed with natural lighting, that important wood lore and tracking was on the backburner.

I listened to an interview with him and he talked about how much he HATES filming trees because they're impossible to make them look good on film because of lighting to he would try to film as much of the movie during the "golden hour" when the natural lighting was best and most contrasting and most beautiful.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    I listened to an interview with him and he talked about how much he HATES filming trees because they're impossible to make them look good on film because of lighting to he would try to film as much of the movie during the "golden hour" when the natural lighting was best and most contrasting and most beautiful.
    It's my understanding that the color correction relied heavily on multiple power windows in every shot.

And rgd the CG bear. Really? bad CGI? A. Recommend better and B. Did you expect them to use a real bear? I've watched the scene multiple times, very convincing IMO.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

What I appreciated about the bear attack was that it didn't happen like a Hollywood movie bear attack where the bear stands up on its hind legs and growls a few times, hits the person a few times, and then goes away. This one charged immediately, bit and clawed and pushed DiCaprio, and to me acted more like a real animal. Not that I've been attacked by a bear but my parents lived in Alaska for 7 years and I've been around my share of them. I've seen a lot of black and brown bears. I've been on islands where we had to get there via float plane and as we fished we were surrounded by brown bears. I've been close enough to smell them and have to move out of the forest path to give them the right of way. Yeah, I could tell it was a CGI bear, but that bear attack was the best I've seen.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast