Thread: Peninsular War 1808 Mod (3 Days personal challenge)

Default Peninsular War 1808 Mod (3 Days personal challenge)

Hello everyone. Today I present you a mod on the Peninsular War DLC that seems to have been neglected for quite a while. This is a personal challenge which I sustained giving myself a maximum time of 3 days for completion. Some small things have not been done because either I exceeded the time limit imposed to myself or werent working for reasons to me unknown. However, if it gets appreciation, I might keep on working on it.

This mod changes the inital situation of the DLC, reverting back the time machine to Late August 1808, right after theConvention of Cintra. As France, right after the debacle of Dupont, you will have Victor in a dangerous spot, Loison, Soult and Lefebvre in northern Spain at your disposal, while you will be able to recruit Junot, Kellerman and Massena to aid in the fight.

As England, Wellesley will be initially absent due to being interrogated on his involvement in the convention, but he will be recruitable in later months should you wish to dispose of Hill, Baird, Reding with his swiss troops or Moore which is currently head of the operations.
    With such a disgraceful pact between England and the defeated French marshals, you should claim a quick victory to appease public opinion!

Britain is able to recruit swiss troops in Gibraltar. France is able to recruit Italian Velite Grenadiers, Young Guard Chasseurs, Baden, Wurttemberg and Westphalian regiments in Toulouse. Aside from Gibraltar and Toulouse, both England and France cannot take advantage of gained territory, so it will be a war of attrition to the last. AI has been changed heavily to take full advantage of big armies when present and harass the enemy with small contingents.

Polish legion textures courtesy of Steph, Chasseurs and Line Fusiliers textures both mine and courtesy of PdGuru. I wanted to modify more, but again, it was a challenge.

Enjoy, should you like it, maybe a little new year's +rep wouldnt hurt ^_^

Download HERE

INSTRUCTIONS:

- Put spa_napoleon in your campaign folder, overwrite the existing startpos file (always make a backup copy first!)
    - add the mod "sir_peninsula.pack" to your user_script list
    - Make sure to get rid of local_en (or your equivalent language) as it changes some names that peninsula_en must use. Rename it into something else, .bak extension always works, or put it into another folder.
    - Play the Peninsular War DLC

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Peninsular War 1808 Mod (3 Days personal challenge)

Downloading it now. Thanks for sharing it!

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

The original DLC was rubbish so its no surprise it was largely neglected by modders, glad to see this.

Hi
    Trying this mod after a question in the Reality Core thread.
    My vanilla installation is not broken, but installing this as per the OP instructions gives me CTD before loading completes.
    Is it only sir_peninsula.pack that needs adding to user_script? What about sir_peninsula_en.pack?
    In addition to removing local_en.pack, what about local_en_patch.pack?

My NTW application is under Steam.

"local" files only load the lines of text, so these cannot cause a crash. Have you checked your game's cache? After uninstalling LME4 there are still residual changes here and there. Try that first.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

My NTW install is clean and runs fine.
    The application crashes on the first loading screen (just after the NTW cursor appears) with your mod installed. Looks like it doesn't work with my version, or something is missing.

There is no "my version", the only way to acquire the game - beside piracy that is - is by buying it on Steam or having the retail copy, which is basically just a box with a Steam code. The copy of the game is always the same.
    Regardless, I've just uninstalled all mods I had, downloaded this one again from the link that I myself provided, and ran the game. Everything went fine, so I suspect the problem is on your end.

EDIT: Do you have the Peninsular War DLC? Goes without saying, but just in case....
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

I wrote "my version" because it is unclear that you have developed your mod using the Steam version, or older code purchased directly from CA.

For the avoidance of doubt - I have a legal copy of NTW purchased through Steam (id 901162), with the following DLCs as supplied by The Creative Assembly:
    Coalition Battle Pack, Community Reward Unit, Elite Regiment, Grand Battery of the Convention, Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars, HMS Elephant, Imperial Guard Pack, Peninsular Campaign, Royal Scots Greys, Towarczys and Imperial Eagle Pack.

The installation is clean, verified by Steam, and working flawlessly. There are no other mods. (It also works flawlessly with the 3rd party LME4.2 mod installed)
    Installing your mod using your published instructions in this thread causes the program to crash during loading.

As there is clearly an issue, do you think it lies with the commercial developers code, or with the freeware modder's addon??

I am sure your mod is nice, and I appreciate both your time in developing it, and your time responding here, but it is seems unfortunately to be incompatible with the current NTW software available through Steam. (

If only I could purchase code directly from CA my friend... ah, what a dream... modders are more like mechanics, we fix and build using scrap material and imagination.

Okay, so the game doesnt load on the very first screen. This means that it cannot find the pack so something might be wrong inside the user_script txt.

I assume you're not familiar with naming conventions, have you written as follows:

mod sir_peninsula.pack; OR mod "sir_peninsula.pack";

both work. Verify this one as a last resort.
    My Mods and Projects

I downloaded the mod but when i play the campaign, there are no young guards, westphalian units....etc no more units than in the vanilla, only generals and start positions from the mod.

Help !

Did you change the user_script as instructed?
    My Mods and Projects

Grumbler's Avatar Foederatus

Does the mod support Multiplayer?

Will the mod work with MoE?