Thread: More Realistic: Attila's Warfare

Default More Realistic: Attila's Warfare

Greetings everyone, I am Maxsilv and this is my first post on Total War Center, even if I have been registered here since quite a long time! I have got started modding with Total War: Rome II a year ago. Today, I am going to share with you a mod which improve battle realism for Total War: Attila.
    I hope it will be appreciated!

P.S.: Please, forgive my mistakes; English is not my native language.

--------------
    Presentation
    --------------

Introducing video:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Summary screen:

-------------
    Description
    -------------

Current version: 1.5
    Latest update: 13, dec. 2015

– Please, give me your advices, in order to make next modifications even better!

With “More Realistic: Attila's Warfare”, I want to allow commanders to use proper tactics on the battlefield. This mod changes melee duration, fatigue impact, morale variations, projectiles range, ability to detection, stats display and more!

Compatibility:

“More Realistic: Attila's Warfare” is compatible with the latest version of Total War: Attila, DLC and most of campaign, map or graphical mods, yet changes may not be available if you use any battle, unit, overhaul or UI mod.

Known issues:

– Encyclopedia has not been updated.

If you have any problem, tell me!

Installation:

– With Steam

1. Go to Steam Workshop
    2. Subscribe (download will automatically start)
    3. Launch Total War: Attila
    4. In launcher, select the right mod
    5. Enjoy!

– Without Steam

1. Download more_realistic_attila_warfare.zip
    2. Unzip files in '…\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Attila\data\'
    3. Launch Total War: Attila
    4. In launcher, select "Enable out-of-date mods"
    5. Select the right mod
    6. Enjoy!

---------------
    Development
    ---------------

Although version 1.5 is fully playable, there could be significant changes in future updates. While it primarily focuses on battle, I do not exclude to revise its purpose with version 2.0… if I do not simply decide to create another mod. Nothing is yet determined; I need time and more advices. Meanwhile, you can react to features that already are in "More Realistic Attila's Warfare"!

Default Re: More Realistic: Attila's Warfare

Just did a dry run of the mod. First off, thanks for your effort in making it, lots of passion have gone through this battle mod in which Attila seems to be lacking in my opinion.My preliminary thoughts:

Positives:

- Best morale balance I've seen. The strong effect of fatigue on morale works out very well.
    - Due to point 1, battles are extremely dynamic. A fatigued palatina can be defeated by fresh desert tribesmen. A devastating ambushers charge will route roman medium spear men in less than a minute. Not everyone's cup of coffee, but I personally like it.
    - Unit info is very well laid out with detailed stats.
    - Don't know if you did unit balancing but the stats seem logical and unbiased.
    - Cavalry won't suffer crazy casualties when retreating and prolonged melee against heavy infantry will make them lose eventually. So spam cav doesn't work.

Areas of Improvement:

- Archers are utterly useless against medium/heavy infantry. Even firing at the enemy from their rear will not cause any causalities. Haven't tried javelins though.
    - While in diamond formation, I charged armored camel warriors against palatina guards head-on and didn't get a single kill. That's a bit harsh. I'd rather have strong casualties for a cav charge than standing up in melee, this is what cav is for.
    - This is subjective, combat seems a bit long and that is fine if the soldiers were actually fighting as I enjoy watching. But I think the delay time between attacks is long.

I'll keep playing with it as I find it very promising and the morale effects are great. Thanks Maxsilv for your hard work!

Thanks Jaserms for your feedback. I will continue to improve this mod and your point of view helps me a lot.

To answer you:

– Many modders prefer increasing morale amount for most units, although it is not very realistic; I have decided to create my own version.
    – Fatigue is really important. However, it seems that it does not matter for AI units, which still run in most cases.
    – It is absolutely necessary. I do not even understand why CA has forgotten range display for missile units!
    – I do no unit balancing. Stats values are from vanilla.
    – Reducing retreating casualties for cavalry is not easy, because there is no way to do it directly in game’s database. Nice to see that my changes are effective!

– I think arrows’ main issue is the lack of armour penetration. Or perhaps the lack of lethality due to range.
    – Armored camel warriors are a strong and powerful unit (they have lots of HP, an efficient charge bonus and good melee stats), yet I am still working on charge effects.
    – Yes, I have increased the delay time between attacks and sometimes melee looks a bit boring. I will try to fix it.

I`ll try your mod for sure, the thing that keeps me from enjoying Attila is the combat, so I ended up modding it more than actually playing

One thing I really like is how you present your mod, I`ll start a campaign with it and note down my impressions on the combat system.

Some stuff I just want to throw in here (before even playing the mod):
    - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...an-change-them
    This thread has some interesting stuff about combat mechanics, you may find something helpful in there.

- You said in the video you decreased spotting chance. It seems like the AI behaviour on the battlefield is better if you actually increase the spotting chance. Might be worth looking into, the Divide et Impera mod for Rome 2 implemented that quite some time ago. Decreased spotting chance would be indeed more interesting against a human opponent, but the AI seems to utilise it`s resources better and counter your moves better with increased spotting chance.

Oh, and no worries about your English, it`s great

Sorry for the delay, I was quite busy last days.

– During my research I have already found this thread few weeks ago. So, I have not used it for my mod yet; I will use it for next modifications!

– I have never considered impact of decreased spotting chance for the AI, even if it is logical. I should think about it, thanks.

Salutations! I have just updated my mod and it is now fully compatible with Slavic update for Total War: Attila.

As I have insufficient permissions to edit my topic, you can find the new non-steam link here: more_realistic_attila_warfare.zip

Thanks to the help of @Snakers, who has passed hours to beta-test my mod (and defeat my armies in multiplayer ^^), finally I can propose an enhanced version of “More Realistic: Attila’s Warfare”.

As I have insufficient permissions to edit my topic, you can find the new non-steam link here: more_realistic_attila_warfare.zip

Main changes:

• Reworked abilities
    • Better unit experience
    • Reworked mass system
    • Added various morale bonus/malus
    • Readjusted missile damage, shot spread and rate of fire
    • Optimum stats display (in my opinion)

Compatibility:
    “More Realistic: Attila's Warfare” is compatible with the latest version of Total War: Attila, DLC and most of campaign, map or graphical mods (included unit reskin), yet changes may not be available if you use any other battle, unit, overhaul or UI mod.
    It may be compatible with save game (need more tests).

New known issue:
    • Sometimes, “flaming arrows” ability is automatically deactivated during the battle, without any reason.

Just a quick update as I have fixed flaming arrows not properly working; thex are not any longer a distinct ability.
    Please note that this new version is now considered as “definitive”. Do not expect more updates! By the way, Steam and non Steam link are still the same, so just look above!

Last, but non least, the non-Steam version of this mod is now fully compatible with Mac/Linux version of Total War: Attila!

You can still download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/okibd1...rfare.zip/file

See the full list of changes below:

• Fixed issues preventing the mod’s non-Steam version from working on Linux/Mac
    • Removed "cav-axe" and "inf-slayer" units classes (partially added by previous mod update)
    • Updated stat display according to previous change (plus few tweaks)
    • Assigned extended shot for bow and precision shot for crossbow units (helping AI to deal with it)
    • Rebalanced projectiles according to previous change (plus few tweaks)
    • Phased units health bonus according to training level (poor=0, trained=5, well=10, elite=15)

Enjoy!

#AttilaForever