Thread: Minimod for darth mod

Default Minimod for darth mod

Moved from Eras main by user's request. ~Iskar

Here's my little contribution to Darth's mod, please download the .zip file and extract it in your main RTW folder.

Many and many changes for a different, slower paced game experience. I'd like some feedback!

One last update because why not, so to summarize it all:

- New units have been added: getai phalanx, noble falxmen, speutan phalanx, greek thorakitai, hounds of culann, liby-phoenician heavy spearmen, carthaginian civic hoplites, heavy spear throwers, georgian swordsmen, turdetani hoplites, thracian thureos
    - Battles last longer
    - Economy runs slower, do not expect to spam armies all over the map
    - Cities grow at a lower pace
    - Cavalry is made somewhat weak because of their tendence to overwhelm infantry. All non spear infantry get a penalty against cavalry, expecially archers and skirmishers.
    - The AI trains more elite troops now rather than cheap armies of lesser units.
    - Archers are weaker, they are not supposed to be a battle winning force.
    - No building experience and weapon bonus.
    - All units cost more and you need to keep an eye on your pockets before training any more armies.
    - All unit stats have been rebalanced
    - No more machine gun towers, city defensive towers cannot kill armies all by themselves, in fact they do little to no damage.
    - Roman infantry is a bit weaker ( honestly, they were too powerful ). Barbarian factions get more economic bonus but basic units are a bit weaker ( they were way too strong for their cheap cost )
    - Phalanxes are tweaked in order to make them less impregnable from the front and they start battles in a more stretched line.
    - General units are very tanky but with moderate killing power... this will both prevent the player from abusing general bodyguards and killing the enemy general quickly.
    - The AI factions are tweaked in order to make them expand more
    - The game is overall harder

The game is meant to be played with europa270bc provincial campaign. i don't know if the other campaigns work as well. Playing with Barbarian Invasion exe is highly recommended... the AI is much more aggressive and unpredictable.
    Last edited by Ironlich; January 30, 2018 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: Changes to Darth mod

I recommend to play this on Hard/Hard because of the proportionally bigger cash bonus that the AI receives due to higher difficulty, or you can try it on Very hard/Hard if you are up for a real challenge.
    Last edited by Ironlich; February 04, 2016 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: Minimod for darth mod

Looks awesome !
    Thanks for the work, Rome 1 is still alive and still growing.
    Also, I have a question... maybe not the right thread, but I really need help.
    Since I have this minimod I cannot use 'fire at will' on any unit on the battle field niether campaing battles nor custom battles.
    How can I fix this bug?

That's a strange bug, i never had it. I recommend you reinstall rome total war and barbarian invasion, install the latest patches then install darth mod. Use the original .exe or you'll experiment errors.

Another thing, delete the ui1.pak which is situated in your data\pack ( the last file on the column inside the pack folder )

One more general update, i think this little gameplay rebalance mod has reached it's intended purpose.

Basically everything has been touched in the name of pure game balance in order to make things more spicy for the human player.

I will make an example of how things work in this mod by writing a small guide, playing the Roman Julii campaign ( europa270bc ) on VERY HARD / HARD difficulty ( because harder it's better in my opinion ).

Let's start by taxing your cities as much as you can in these 2-3 turns, then gather your forces including generals and prepare to sail for greece. The Gauls on the north are damn strong and their lands are not worth conquer, plus you will have 2 enemies to fight at once, gauls and germans. So you are ready to sail for greece, where the land is decently rich and the greek army can be defeated with some effort.

You will soon come to grips with the macedons and they are pretty strong... don't be afraid to charge their pikemen head on, they are not so overpowered like in vanilla. To defeat them tho, you need to flank their phalanxes or concentrate missile fire on them. Grow your cities, become rich and calmly plan your next moves... always avoid having more than one enemy at once because it can be quite a nightmare to face 2 opponents expecially if they are barbarians.
    Last edited by Ironlich; November 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM.

Sometimes i have a CTD when i play this minimod. What should i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
    Sometimes i have a CTD when i play this minimod. What should i do?
    There is no sure way to avoid CTDs but there is a ton of ways to make them less likely to happen. I will make a short list:

- Lower your graphic settings
    - Defrag your hard disk
    - Don't spam too many agents ( diplomats, spies etc... )
    - Avoid bribing cities/armies and don't let your cities revolt, they can cause CTD.
    - Use the original .exe and not a copy.
    - Don't save game before battles.
    - Don't load game while on the campaign map, quit the game and load it from main menu instead.
    - Don't do battles in areas overcrowded with enemy armies, expecially in narrow spaces. They are likely to cause CTD.
    Last edited by Ironlich; April 07, 2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlich View Post
    Moved from Eras main by user's request. ~Iskar

Here's my little contribution to Darth's mod, please download the .zip file and extract it in your main RTW folder.

Many and many changes for a different, slower paced game experience. I'd like some feedback!

One last update because why not, so to summarize it all:

- New units have been added: getai phalanx, noble falxmen, speutan phalanx, greek thorakitai, hounds of culann, liby-phoenician heavy spearmen, carthaginian civic hoplites, heavy spear throwers, georgian swordsmen, turdetani hoplites, thracian thureos
    - Battles last longer
    - Economy runs slower, do not expect to spam armies all over the map
    - Cities grow at a lower pace
    - Cavalry is made somewhat weak because of their tendence to overwhelm infantry. All non spear infantry get a penalty against cavalry, expecially archers and skirmishers.
    - The AI trains more elite troops now rather than cheap armies of lesser units.
    - Archers are weaker, they are not supposed to be a battle winning force.
    - No building experience and weapon bonus.
    - All units cost more and you need to keep an eye on your pockets before training any more armies.
    - All unit stats have been rebalanced
    - No more machine gun towers, city defensive towers cannot kill armies all by themselves, in fact they do little to no damage.
    - Roman infantry is a bit weaker ( honestly, they were too powerful ). Barbarian factions get more economic bonus but basic units are a bit weaker ( they were way too strong for their cheap cost )
    - Phalanxes are tweaked in order to make them less impregnable from the front and they start battles in a more stretched line.
    - General units are very tanky but with moderate killing power... this will both prevent the player from abusing general bodyguards and killing the enemy general quickly.
    - The AI factions are tweaked in order to make them expand more
    - The game is overall harder

The game is meant to be played with europa270bc provincial campaign. i don't know if the other campaigns work as well. Playing with Barbarian Invasion exe is highly recommended... the AI is much more aggressive and unpredictable.

Подскажите пожалуйста, если Вас не затруднит, как и где я могу скачать этот мод