Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get Imperium for FM`s outside Rome?

Default How do I get Imperium for FM`s outside Rome?

Saw the answer to this somewhere but can`t find it.

In early campaign if I understand correctly FM`s can only get Imperium if in Rome and hold Praetor.Propraetor.Consul.Proconsul or Regional govwernor.

It was stated that Imprium can much later on be gained by FM`s mentioned above in other settlements other than Rome.

My Question : Which settlements(city) ?

and what building do I need ,and what is the building path to get the required building?

Thankyou

Default Re: How do I get Imperium for FM`s outside Rome?

Cities with Ius Latinorum, which can only be built in Italia AFAIK, can hold elections for atleast quastors, meaning that you can put your FMs there and they can get selected to be questors. I do not know if they can become praetors or consuls in other cities than Rome, though, but after a Praetor has been selected, he will hold Imperium for a few years, meaning that he can act as a general without penalties.

For anything beyond Quaestors, you don't. That's entirely by design, Rome is the place from which all authority flows, unless your FMs go back in winter, they won't get elected to magisterial offices.

Otherwise as Jepekula said, Quaestors can be elected in Italy with the Ius Latinorum.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

That's how devs ruined Rome's gameplay through design, you are forced to constantly micromanage your generals and in the end it's just easier to either ignore the whole thing or just make them all sit in Rome in a megadoomstack of heavy cavalry cause their constant reshuffling to Rome and back to their province is just too bothersome and annoying. Similar to how Koinon gameplay was ruined through design that prevents them, as the only Greek faction, from ever building a new polis anywhere ever because screw you player and your idea of what a Koinon empire should look like.

That's why I prefer to stick with Carthage and Pergamon these days. Carthage you just conquer Rome early and pretend you're Rome afterwards with as good units but without all the silly micro. With Pergamon you just need access to Agoge before your second generation starts coming of age and you can pretend to play Koinon.

Romans have the easiest starting position, loads of money, better troops than most other factions, and get even better with each reform. So spare me the sob story about how hard it is to have to "micromanage" your FMs to get even more advantages over the AI.

And KH aren't just another Hellenistic Successor, they are different and thus play differently too. They get conversion from their government buildings, bonus recruitment from the polis, and can still build eastcols.

Speak for yourselves cause im loving the micro. Actually i await with enthusiasm the turns that i get news about my family members being elected and others being eligible for some positions . Makes the mod very immersive which for me it was what EB 1 was mostly all about.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

If you really must have KH able to build new polis' it's really not hard to do.

To your campaign_script, you add the following in the "11. Colony Management" section:

Code:
    ;;; Special KH polis-building script ;;;			
    	set_event_counter ecKoinonColonistsOn 0
    	declare_counter KoinonColonyPoints

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart
    		if I_CompareCounter FactionTurnInProgress = 5			;;; it is the KH turn
                and I_IsFactionAIControlled f_kh
                set_event_counter ecKoinonColonistsOn 1
           end_if
    	end_monitor

;; Test how many Metropoleis Koinon Hellenon controls:
        monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_kh
            and I_EventCounter ecOlympicYear = 1
            and I_EventCounter ecSpring = 1
            and SettlementBuildingExists = polis_three
            inc_counter KoinonColonyPoints 1
            if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_kh					;;; for the AI it is not needed
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
        end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType f_kh
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            ;
            if I_CompareCounter KoinonColonyPoints > 0
            end_if
        end_monitor

monitor_event AddedToBuildingQueue FactionType f_kh
            and BuildingName = polis_one
            inc_counter KoinonColonyPoints -1
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            ;
            if I_CompareCounter KoinonColonyPoints = 0
            end_if
        end_monitor
        ;
        ;   Re-enable the event counter after the player has clicked the end turn button. If this isn't done, the colony building will never complete.
        ;
        monitor_event ButtonPressed ButtonPressed end_turn
                terminate_monitor
            end_if
            ;
            if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_kh
            end_if
        end_monitor
        ;
        ;   Disable the event counter at the end of faction turn - applies for both the player as well as the AI.
        ;
        monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType f_kh
        end_monitor
    Meanwhile in your EDB, find "polis_one requires" and add to the end of the line:

Code:
    or event_counter ecKoinonColonistsOn 1
    Delete your map.rwm, start a new campaign and bam, KH can build new polis_ones.

That's how devs ruined Rome's gameplay through design, you are forced to constantly micromanage your generals and in the end it's just easier to either ignore the whole thing or just make them all sit in Rome in a megadoomstack of heavy cavalry cause their constant reshuffling to Rome and back to their province is just too bothersome and annoying. Similar to how Koinon gameplay was ruined through design that prevents them, as the only Greek faction, from ever building a new polis anywhere ever because screw you player and your idea of what a Koinon empire should look like.
    you can recruit allied generals and use them to command your armies instead of the roman ones,or limit yourself to only 1 stack commanded by 1 roman general to minimize the micro-good luck though defending your multicontinent empire with 1 stack

or as you wrote forget about the whole office system,fighting in italy and using the offices is manageable but getting to greece or asia minor is an exercise in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by excubitor View Post
    you can recruit allied generals and use them to command your armies instead of the roman ones,or limit yourself to only 1 stack commanded by 1 roman general to minimize the micro-good luck though defending your multicontinent empire with 1 stack

or as you wrote forget about the whole office system,fighting in italy and using the offices is manageable but getting to greece or asia minor is an exercise in futility.

They either have to extend every office or allow elections to happen in any city(almost).
    Its the fault of the game really not the offices themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jim600 View Post
    Saw the answer to this somewhere but can`t find it.

In early campaign if I understand correctly FM`s can only get Imperium if in Rome and hold Praetor.Propraetor.Consul.Proconsul or Regional govwernor.

It was stated that Imprium can much later on be gained by FM`s mentioned above in other settlements other than Rome.

My Question : Which settlements(city) ?

and what building do I need ,and what is the building path to get the required building?

Thankyou
    I was the one who said that. Once a family member has served a term as a Praetor, he is eligible to be appointed a provincial governor. By staying in his province, he retains Imperium. The provinces are very broad: All of Spain, all of Gaul, Illyria, All of Greece proper plus up to Byzantium. Most of Anatolia. Syria. All of Africa except Egypt. Tons of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Speak for yourselves cause im loving the micro. Actually i await with enthusiasm the turns that i get news about my family members being elected and others being eligible for some positions . Makes the mod very immersive which for me it was what EB 1 was mostly all about.
    +1 for this. I love the system.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    They either have to extend every office or allow elections to happen in any city(almost).
    Its the fault of the game really not the offices themselves.
    The major offices (from Praetor upwards) have pro-magistracy periods of years afterwards, where they retain imperium. So it isn't a case of having to rush back as soon as your term ends.

And the "Rector provinciae" ancillary is transferable so while only (pro)praetor or (pro)consul can get him, you can later assign the province to whomever you wish and as long as he stays in the province his imperium is granted. So the level of role-play and micromanagement is really up to each player to freely choose, nothing is forced actually.

But who wants to hate, of course can always find a pretext to do so as as well.

I found playing as Rome enjoyable and relaxing. It's not even hard to track down FMs I should be moving in/out of Rome anymore since I started writing them down. Only problem I have is that I do not have enough settlements to park all my quaestors in

Don't roman provinces allow a FM imperium if he stays within that province, Legatus? I have a FM who has it and does not have praetor, consul, etc.

Must be Ius Latinorum. And not for all titles.

Provinces give legatus to governors that stay there and have not other offices. That doesnt give them Imperium but compensates it somewhat. Although they cant go out of their province or they will lose it.

We will either find a way, or make one.

That's the easy way out, stay in Italy until praetor, then get legatus and stay there forever and ever (unless dude gets to become faction heir).

I must say i like the system very much, some micro it is true, but i adds a lot of character to your campaign. In my humble opinion, a brillant feature. (I would actually increase penalties for leading sizeable armies without imperium)

By the way, I think I suggested this sometime ago but didnt remeber the answer. Why isnt considered giving a movement boost to the "eligible for..." traits? That would make the FM faster when travelling alone making a lot more possible and realistic coming back to Rome for election, without giving advantages to the army.

I like lot the roman office system but I have to agree that it gets a bit exhausting once you start expanding outside italy, needing at least a year of travel for each election even if you have the fleets available.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Thats an interesting idea. If you do make them travel further then perhaps also make characters that dont have imperium a bit worse.

Another thing i thought would be cool is allowing characters that are super influential get elected from anywhere.
    I believe there were some that actually did that outside of Rome.(Gaius Marius, Cinna and i think Sulla?)

Or maybe if you guys add those late game Augustan political changes, make faction leaders/emperors have permanent imperium and traits that have a huge impact on other characters and the empire.(both negative and positive)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast