Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [BC 2.4.2] : Standalone Patched Version - [Preview + Download] RELEASED!

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT 2.4 !RELEASE! - !PREVIEW! AND !DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    Yes, most likely. The mod doesn't depend on OS, but the game does. So, I assume that if you have M2TW already installed on OSX, then you should be able to install and play BC as well.
    Thank you for your answer wudang_clown!
    I already tried that, dowloaded the bc and put it inside the mods but i think the problem is the mod has .exe files which mac os can't read.
    so i am not sure if this will work at all or i just need to change the file format somehow.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

You mean the launch script? I forgot about it. It's a batch script and it won't work under OSX. We would have to write a shell script for OSX, but I have no access to any OSX, so I think your have better chances browsing TWC in search of some M2TW mod launcher for OSX.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    You mean the launch script? I forgot about it. It's a batch script and it won't work under OSX. We would have to write a shell script for OSX, but I have no access to any OSX, so I think your have better chances browsing TWC in search of some M2TW mod launcher for OSX.
    thanks for the recommendation, i did what you said and found a way to make it work.
    i am writing it so other with same problem people may use it. the solution is based on itza's 2nd post in this thread.

(i am not sure if this works with steam, i bought the game usinf appstore)
    - download the bc to your mac
    - go to applications, right click to Medieval II: Total War™ Collection, select Show Package Contents then find your way through Contents/Resources/Data/Mods, drop the bc download file in mods.
    - launch game, select Advanced on the menu at the top
    - toggle Advanced options:
    - paste --features.mod=mods/(bc file name)
    - click play

this works for me, the only bug is that i can't play custom battle, but that is no big deal for me.

all the best.

Thanks to all the BC team. I'm really enjoying a campaign as Kingdom of Makouria. Played a lot of Attila of late but refreshing to get back into a great M2 conversion. There is something more "pure" about the M2 experience. Not so many fluffy irritating extras as the more recent Total War games have had like edits and managing loyalty of family and generals and constant choices in upgrading governors and general.... Just good honest empire building, back stabbing and invasions! And when it's as polished and BC 2.4 its a joy to behold. I especially love the music scores. Brilliant work and thanks again. If I could have a wish for future versions it'd be 1. more culture specific settlements and 2. a bit further east into China.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

Where do I find portraits of Kara-Khitan and Indian factions? I'm enjoying adding a few of my own portraits to generals and rogues... The African are easy to find in their own folder in : data/UI but I've looked far and wide for the Kara-Khita and Indians and can't locate them. Thanks.

---Dont worry - I found. Indians are in mesoamerican group and Kara_Khitan in eastern Europe.
    Last edited by sgz; May 11, 2016 at 08:12 AM.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War

all units mongols update 0 money/days @@! like a god in very hards !

Another q for the mod team : which file defines a given factions' " cultural group"? Currently Rome, Armenia and Georgia are "Greek". I'd like to use the seemingly unused " southern europe" cultural group to give the latter 2 factions new portraits - distinct from the Roman ones. Thanks.

The file you are looking for probably is descr_sm_factions.txt

If you make new portraits, put them in a submod and share them with us. I have been tempted to do that with the steppe factions but I could not find good portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    The file you are looking for probably is descr_sm_factions.txt

If you make new portraits, put them in a submod and share them with us. I have been tempted to do that with the steppe factions but I could not find good portraits.

Excellent. Thanks for that. Worked immediately. Don't supposed you'd also know which file codes for strat map unit voices? I've tried descr_sounds_accents.txt but that doesn't seem to work.

PS I like your "avatar" image. Can I use it in the mod ?
    Last edited by sgz; May 13, 2016 at 03:16 AM.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I noticed that the Kingdom of Jerusalem is helplessly overpowered due to their large pool of heavily armoured infantry which kills everything in autocalc. Their roster is basically double the size of that of other factions and since most units pools have a maximum of one the larger number of different units allows KoJ to recruit two to three times more heavy infantry than other factions. (Example, they can hire templar sergeants, hospitaller sergeants, crusaders sergeants, armoured sergeants and regular sergeants all of which are on par with the second tier(!) skoutatoi spearmen of the byzantines, and similarly for the heavy swordsmen/halberdiers.) I can understand a certain imbalance in this, if it is intended to emphasise the European heavy infantry, but firstly a three/five to one ratio is a bit much and secondly I would expect the crusaders to field more knightly cav in their armies, which they do not do at all because the AI (rightly) regards the armoured infantry as more cost-effective. One might also consider increasing the unit pool cap to two per unit for other factions to allow them a more adequate recruitment of higher tier units and maybe one should allow low tier units to be recruited independent of the AoR effects.

Armoured infantry might also need a bit of a nerf in general. Slav Spearmen and Swordsmen have freakishly large defense values but seem to be somewhat spammable by the Kypchaks and their neighbours.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree with Iskar. Historically, the Kingdom of Jerusalem had very limited manpower. I'm not sure that is fully represented here. I feel like missile units have been nerfed too much. This leaves the non-Crusader factions at a disadvantage

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Indeed. I can see the reasoning behind the through-the-board 5 damage points for all kinds of archers but considering the lots of armoured units in the mod this makes archers and horse archers pretty useless most of the time. Admittedly, the balance between historical realism and playability is tricky in this case.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Hi. The only way to download this file is through Mega/Megasync?
    ---------------
    There would be any problem with adding the moddb link in the opening post? (I am having some problems to download the file from moddb, btw)
    --------------
    Never mind
    Last edited by mishkin; May 31, 2016 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgz View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for that. Worked immediately. Don't supposed you'd also know which file codes for strat map unit voices? I've tried descr_sounds_accents.txt but that doesn't seem to work.

PS I like your "avatar" image. Can I use it in the mod ?
    Sorry, I had missed your email. I believe the voices are determined in the same file by the input in "culture", e.g.
    culture middle_eastern

You can use my avatar for your portraits as long as you do not sell them because I do not have the copyright.

Hello How do i enable defending vs the A.I in hotseat campaigns. Thank You.

Sorry I have no idea about hotseat campaigns, I am not sure anyone here does. Maybe you can ask in some more general thread on hotseat.

In defense of the KoJ, I would say that in my campaigns sometimes the KoJ is destroyed. Sometimes it is not and it becomes strong. Usually the Byzantines, KoJ or Egypt dominate that area but it varies from game to game and occasionally one of the other factions goes strong and close to dominating. I expect that it is mostly chance, except that factions that start with many provinces have a head start and so they tend to become the dominant faction more often than those that start with just a few provinces. Otherwise, factions are balanced so that they get a certain amount of cash per turn mostly depending on their number of provinces and their units are reasonably well balanced in terms of effectiveness and upkeep. The KoJ cannot have endless heavy knights because of their upkeep, regardless of how easily they can recruit them.

I do think personally that they have too many chiefs and too few indians but that has no effect on campaign balance or battle balance.

Edit: William of Tyre mentions that only about 200 knights fought at the battle of Montgisard (see my video and description of the battle www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?452114-Campaign-battle-screenshots-and-videos&p=10237040&viewfull=1#post10237040) but he reports 1100 dead and 700 wounded. So clearly the vast majority of those who fought were simple folk, militia and levies of some kind plus a few sergeants. In those days, there was one sergeant following every knight and sometimes they were counted among the knights if they were on horse. So at most, at most, there were 400 knights and sergeants and they were not all killed and wounded otherwise this would have not been a victory for the Crusaders but a massacre. So clearly, the majority of combatants were levies, militia and peasantry. There is another account of a castle being held by 1500 men, most of which were described as militia, without a mention of a single knight being present. The numbers were not small, just the fighting quality of the KoJ was terrible because the majority of the men were untrained or poorly trained locals given a spear and expected to stand up agaist Mulsim fighters who were often slaves trained all their lives to fight for God or their Sultan or for profit and their freedom etc, massive incentives compared with the Christian levies who while on duty there was no one at home tending to their fields or crops except maybe their wives or children.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; July 02, 2016 at 07:59 AM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Edit: William of Tyre mentions that only about 200 knights fought at the battle of Montgisard (see my video and description of the battle www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?452114-Campaign-battle-screenshots-and-videos&p=10237040&viewfull=1#post10237040) but he reports 1100 dead and 700 wounded. So clearly the vast majority of those who fought were simple folk, militia and levies of some kind plus a few sergeants. In those days, there was one sergeant following every knight and sometimes they were counted among the knights if they were on horse. So at most, at most, there were 400 knights and sergeants and they were not all killed and wounded otherwise this would have not been a victory for the Crusaders but a massacre. So clearly, the majority of combatants were levies, militia and peasantry. There is another account of a castle being held by 1500 men, most of which were described as militia, without a mention of a single knight being present. The numbers were not small, just the fighting quality of the KoJ was terrible because the majority of the men were untrained or poorly trained locals given a spear and expected to stand up agaist Mulsim fighters who were often slaves trained all their lives to fight for God or their Sultan or for profit and their freedom etc, massive incentives compared with the Christian levies who while on duty there was no one at home tending to their fields or crops except maybe their wives or children.
    If this is true than it's quite impressive that the crusaders lasted for around 200 years. However, when the Mamelukes came they made quick process with them, just as they did with the other Christian kingdoms (Armenia and Makuria) aswell as the Mongols.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    If this is true than it's quite impressive that the crusaders lasted for around 200 years. However, when the Mamelukes came they made quick process with them, just as they did with the other Christian kingdoms (Armenia and Makuria) aswell as the Mongols.
    The battle of Montgisard was one of the very few battles the Crusaders won against Saladdin (I think the only one). Their victory was the result of several coincidences, such as (a) a large part of Saladdin's army being away collecting food and (b) the baggage train being mired in a small muddy river, exposed to the advancing crusaders while at the same time blocking the passage for the rest of the Arab army. The small muddy river was next to a steep hill so Saladdin's army was almost trapped in the most inconvenient location between the muddy river, the mired baggage train and the steep hill. They managed to deploy somehow but in a very piecemeal fashion. Other units had been advancing towards Jerusalem and had to hurry back. Also it appears that the heavier Arab troops had left their armament in the baggage train, because they did not expect that there were any Crusaders nearby.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

So clearly, the majority of combatants were levies, militia and peasantry.
    Even if they were not knights, it does not mean they were light troops or peasantry.

May I remind you that Baha ad-Din describes the KoJ infantry as being clad in mail and padding to such a degree that composite bows are useless against them.

The battle of Montgisard was one of the very few battles the Crusaders won against Saladdin (I think the only one).
    Battle of Belvoir, Acre, Arsuf, Jaffa etc. ?

Really?

such as (a) a large part of Saladdin's army being away collecting food
    False, Ali ibn al-Athir, among other sources, mentions small raiding parties that went ahead, nothing more, and he also mentions them being slaughtered as well after the battle.

Also it appears that the heavier Arab troops had left their armament in the baggage train, because they did not expect that there were any Crusaders nearby.
    That is a ludicrous statement, not only was Saladins army literally in the heart of KoJ, they were a mere 45-50km away from Jerusalem.

I find it entertaining how people have such a mighty desire to downplay crusader victories.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    However, when the Mamelukes came they made quick process with them
    If you consider half a century to take a few remaining coastal cities or nearly a century and a half to take out Cilicia as "quick process" then yes.
    Last edited by +Marius+; July 04, 2016 at 03:11 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by +Marius+ View Post
    If you consider half a century to take a few remaining coastal cities or nearly a century and a half to take out Cilicia as "quick process" then yes.
    If you consider a massive war against an alliance of the KoJ, Armenia, the Mongols, the sixth crusade aswell as other intervening European powers while also ripping Makuria apart on the southern front just as "taking a few remaining coastal cities", ok.

PS: Armenia probably would have been conquered in 1291 or so already if the Armenians didn't bought peace.