Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.1b is released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.1b is released!

I found a couple issues with BAI, unfortunately. While sieging a minor city, defender's units are deployed on the other side of it. So easy to rush up and get the walls before defenders make their way to the other side. Also, seems like in every field battle, AI concentrates against my left flank. That makes it predictable and easy to defeat.

@myarta: I checked the file properties and it wasn't read only. Is there anywhere else I should check to make sure? It's not the first time I've edited a .cfg file in Notepad++ which is why I'm confused.

As I mentioned, it crashes every time not just the first. I can never reach the campaign screen.

The sad thing is I initially uninstalled EB 2.0x and reinstalled EB2.1. I actually got to play about as the Romans but I noticed some graphical problems. I decided a full reinstall would be in order only to find gamersgate now uses Steam for their TW games. Nothing but problems since then. Damn shame.

I'm reinstalling EB2.1 again in the hopes I can try it - will take a half an hour or so. If/when it crashes out I'll look in the M2TW directory as you advised. Thanks.

Yeah, sadly it just crashes no matter if I run it through Steam directly, the shortcut, or the launch file in the EBII folder. I get the same error message each time (see my first post). I'm tempted to copy M2TW back to my C drive (though not in Program Files as the install required). Really, I'm open to anything at this point. As for the log, there is nothing, not even in the M2TW directory.

Because I rarely use my D drive for anything I thought it might be the source of the problem but vanilla M2TW runs without a hitch.

Also, the borderless_window is set to 1 by default so making it 0 was kind of the idea. What happens is I change it to zero, the green save icon changes to red and it says: Please check whether if this file is open in another program. No idea what that means; I'm editing the .cfg with everything closed - even Steam. No clue what's going on. Maybe I can force it into windowed mode in the shortcut properties. Would that work?

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Do you have kingdoms installed?

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    You are correct that a Satrapy (Marz) building should not be built in the capital, because it does not upgrade to a capital (Arkaiakan Marz (Royal Satrapy)). It actually only requires the 'city' level, though, if I'm reading this right. So 6k people. Not 'large city' which is 12k. So if you complete your kingdom event before your population has grown that much, it might be confusing that you have to wait for a population milestone before the new building pops up, meanwhile being accidentally offered the 'wrong' building as a choice.
    i've raised it in the internal forum so that Armavir upgrade for the first reform is removed as a condition as it seems to cuase a lot of confusion and is superflous requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKuhlmann View Post
    Yes, I think you are right. I would go further and say, that the royal buildig would have to be built first an only then should the satrapy buildings in the other provinces be unlocked. Because a satrapy only makes sense, if there already is a royal centre. Maybe the requirement "Armavir=Large City" should be skipped to avoid confusion. You could get a message: "Now you can your royal satrapy in armavir, and you'll be a king ruling kingdom" and, after building it, another one "Congrats, oh King. Now convert your provinces to satrapies and rule in glory". As I am no modder, I don't know how this could be implemented and how much work it would be.
    agreed. this would be great but i dont know if it is technically possible.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Rafkos View Post
    There's too many units to show, that's why it crashes. Simply use early era, all the units will be there anyway, the only difference in late period is that some factions share units, if I'm correct.
    Thanks! I was also wondering why every custom battle I chose ended up crashing.

According to Steam, yes. I have all four kingdoms mods in my mod folder, in addition to ebII of course.

It tempts me, showing the faction symbol, then the loading screen, then crash. Why does vanilla work but not EB2? Why only EB2? Why now? Why Santa, Why?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbuster View Post
    Yeah, sadly it just crashes no matter if I run it through Steam directly, the shortcut, or the launch file in the EBII folder. I get the same error message each time (see my first post). I'm tempted to copy M2TW back to my C drive (though not in Program Files as the install required). Really, I'm open to anything at this point. As for the log, there is nothing, not even in the M2TW directory.

Because I rarely use my D drive for anything I thought it might be the source of the problem but vanilla M2TW runs without a hitch.

Also, the borderless_window is set to 1 by default so making it 0 was kind of the idea. What happens is I change it to zero, the green save icon changes to red and it says: Please check whether if this file is open in another program. No idea what that means; I'm editing the .cfg with everything closed - even Steam. No clue what's going on. Maybe I can force it into windowed mode in the shortcut properties. Would that work?
    Huh, that's really strange. I hardly know what to say, unfortunately. If it's not read only, then the only other thing would be if you needed administrative privileges to edit it, but that would only be true if it was in Program Files. Is the launcher open, maybe? I guess you could reboot, as that would ensure nothing is holding onto that file once it comes back up.

Also, try making a new folder called 'logs' in your EBII folder, so that your log will write correctly. Launch using the Launcher (because you have to edit the config file if you're using the launch.bat instead).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    i've raised it in the internal forum so that Armavir upgrade for the first reform is removed as a condition as it seems to cuase a lot of confusion and is superflous requirement.
    agreed. this would be great but i dont know if it is technically possible.
    It is. It's similar to the code that restricts you to just one Basilike Patris.

You'd have a monitor that checks for the presence of the Royal Satrapy and sets an event counter. The event counter being 1 would become a requirement to build the Satrapy buildings. You would only set it to 1 once there is a Royal Satrapy building in existence.

Great work EB team, just finished a TATW D&C campaign so will now try this .. great timing!!
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Well there's a workaround for you as it sometimes don't work with Steam version. You will need a no-cd kingdoms.exe placed into main M2TW directory, after that you will need to start the game using no-steam shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    It is. It's similar to the code that restricts you to just one Basilike Patris.

You'd have a monitor that checks for the presence of the Royal Satrapy and sets an event counter. The event counter being 1 would become a requirement to build the Satrapy buildings. You would only set it to 1 once there is a Royal Satrapy building in existence.
    sounds great (except you'd call the original building Royal Administration or the like instead of Royal Satrapy).
    do you have access to EBH forum (Campus Martius)? if you're able to implement the script changes, it would be better to take discussion there to be able to coordinate and discuss this with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    sounds great (except you'd call the original building Royal Administration or the like instead of Royal Satrapy).
    do you have access to EBH forum (Campus Martius)? if you're able to implement the script changes, it would be better to take discussion there to be able to coordinate and discuss this with the team.
    I don't have access, nope.

Royal Satrapy appears to be its name: "Arkaiakan Marz (Royal Satrapy)", if we're talking about hay_capital. Then you have two kinds of subsidiary satrapy, the "Marz (Satrapy)" [hay_satrap] and the "Phil-Hellenic Satrapy" [hay_philhensat].

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard13 View Post
    normal medieval? or kingdoms?
    Normal medieval. I try using the launcher.bat from the EB file and it starts up medieval. The actual Latest launcher included in this update also just crashes when I try to start EB

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

You need kingdoms to run this mod

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Although all the units look fantastic overall (despite some steppe and Eastern cavalry ones having inexplicably invisible eyeballs), something terribly wrong has occurred with the textures of the "Khuveshavagan" model in battle_modelsdb, used for "eastern cavalry khuveshavagan" and the "eastern early bodyguard" unit for Pontos and Hayasdan. Some of the soldiers are partially invisible! The textures are completely wrong. It may just be a glitch for my particular download of the game. Luckily for me, I can fix by using the old texture files from an older version of EB II I happen to have on my computer. However, for everyone else who does not know how to mod the game and fix textures, this will be a funky-looking problem for them. You should consider including a fix for this in the patch right away.

Thank you EB team for this highly anticipated release and for your continued dedication for this awesome project.

I have already mentioned some of this in the test release thread but there were no changes made on it. However, as it was not dismissed by QS in the thread it might have just been overlooked. There are several units where an existing voice file could be assigned to (voice files in brackets):

The KH bodyguard -> "somatophylakes strategou"
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_cavalry_general_bodyguard_1) (Greek1_Unit_Select_hellenistic_cavalry_general_bodyguard_1)

Kretikoi Peltastai + Peltastai Logades -> “peltastai”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_makedones_peltastai_1)

Molosson Agema -> “molosson agema”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Molosson_Agema_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Molosson_Agema_2)

Phalangitai Deuteroi -> “phalangitai deuteroi”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_phalangitai_Deuteroi_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_phalangitai_Deuteroi_2)

Hippeis Thessalikoi -> “hippeis thessalikoi”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_cavalry_hippeis_Thessalikoi_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_cavalry_hippeis_Thessalikoi_2)

Mistophoroi Hoplitai -> “mistophoroi hoplitai”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Misthophoroi_Hoplitai_1)

Kurepos -> “curepos”
    (Gallic_Unit_Select_Curepos)

Illyrioi Hippeis -> “illyrioi hippeis”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Illyrioi_Hippeis_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Illyrioi_Hippeis_2)

The above mentioned ones are quite straightforward. On the following I’m not sure (if it really matches their concept; the callname does not consider their “culturally foreign” background):

Illyrioi Peltastai -> “peltastai”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_makedones_peltastai_1)

Illyrioi Hoplitai -> “hoplitai”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_1) (Greek1_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_hoplitai_1)

Also in the test builds (I had no time yet to clarify this in the autumn release) the Machairophoroi had the voice “thureophoroi” assigned. This could be intended somehow, still.

Still not able to edit so two additional ones in a new post:

Hypaspistai -> “hypaspstai”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_infantry_hypaspistai_2)

Ioudaioi Taxeis -> “ioudaioi taxeis”
    (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Iudaioi_Taxeis_1) (Greek_Unit_Select_hellenistic_Iudaioi_Taxeis_2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbuster View Post
    It tempts me, showing the faction symbol, then the loading screen, then crash.
    Any luck yet? Have you tried running any other mods? It sounds like something is corrupted in your install. First, I would try to run EB2 through Steam's library by right clicking on Medieval II, going to Properties, then "Set Launch Options", and adding this line exactly as written:
    Code:
    --features.mod=mods/EBII

If running EB2 like that doesn't work, navigate to this file, make a backup, and delete it:
    Code:
    ....Medieval II Total War\Mods\EBII\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm
    After you've deleted it, run EB2 again, start a new campaign, and after you hit "Play" you'll have to wait around 2 to 3 minutes (maybe longer depending on your computer speed) to generate a brand new map file.

Hopefully one or both of these approaches will fix your problem!

I got a CTD the first time I tried to start a campaign after the long load and the intro video but then the second time it started up fine! Excited to get some games in!