Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.1b is released!

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum 2.1b is released!

Congratulations on the release.

Just in case of whatever, I uploaded the 2.1b on dropbox, here's the link;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmaw486f6d...v2.1b.exe?dl=0

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Is anyone else getting a campaign-start crash like this?

Have you tried reverting to bordered windowed mode in the config (that seemed to fix it for someone else)?
    There is, however, the danger of it generating a broken map if it didn't finish properly. Does it crash before the loading screen comes up (which may mean the map is borked), or while the loading screen is processing (which means it probably isn't)?

The real test is this; could someone re-patch, and after the first crash, check in data\world\maps\base and check what map.rwm is there? If it's still the 0kb one, they the second attempt is fine. If, however, it's one with today's date and is under 13MB, it's probably corrupted.
    Okay. So in the EBII.cfg file in the EB II folder I changed the value of "1" to "0" in the field where it says "borderless_window = 1". That seems to have fixed the problem with the game crashing. However, as Myarta says above in regards to version number 2.1B in the lower left on the main menu, mine doesn't say that. It says only "v.2.1" in the lower left portion of the main menu screen. A new campaign does not take 5-10 minutes to load, yet now it doesn't crash either, apparently because I edited the .cfg file. I checked the properties and size of the map.rwm file; it is indeed 12.4 MB or thereabouts. Then again, the game didn't crash this time. By the way, I'm using the "FTP link" download for the patch (I also used FTP for the main game download). I tried obtaining the "gamefront" website download of the patch, but I was not allowed to do so! It says the following message about phishing software the moment the download ticker finishes: "Reported Unwanted Software Page! This web page at media1.gamefront.com has been reported to contain unwanted software and has been blocked based on your security preferences."

Ugh! Stupid Firefox. Should I use a different browser or edit my security preferences?

In either case, I don't have any time to fix this. I'm busy right now and I'm boarding a plane to fly across an ocean tomorrow. After that, I'll be busy, busy, busy with the family back in the United States. A shame. I want to help here, and of course fix my own problem so I can play normally at some point.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

NEVERMIND! Lol. I was making a small mistake with the folder path. The game is fixed now and it truly does say "v.2.1B" at the bottom of the menu after re-patching to the right location. And just as predicted, the new grand campaign I launched took about 4-5 minutes to load before it brought me to the campaign map.

Basically, I wasn't directing the patch directly to the EB II folder. Previously, I had directed it to the mods folder, I believe.

For dummies like me, you should probably stipulate that in the instructions, in terms of the correct folder path (which is different from the main download, to say the least).

EDIT: Fantastic, phenomenal job you guys! The new units are stunning and superb! However, after snooping around and looking at a bunch of new units, I couldn't help but notice a couple things that were most likely unintended. The eyes of the new Armenian cavalry units, both soldiers and horses, are strangely missing and transparent, so you can see right through the unit at what's behind them (through their empty eyes, pretty scary looking actually, lol). Also, something funky and weird has happened to the "eastern cavalry khuveshavagan" heavy cavalry unit; many of the textures are downright wrong and some soldiers are even partially invisible! Weird. I have old backups of previous versions of EB II. I wonder if replacing some texture files here and there in the right folder locations according to the "battle_modelsdb" file would fix that particular issue.

It seems i have work tomorrow morning. Thanks god I have it free.

Thankks for all the work. Im proud of have been able to help a little little bit with the testing. Great team and communitty. Ready to enjoy and keep improvng this already great game.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Guys this mod is fully mod foldered right? Just to be sure that it wont mess up my other mods.

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Yes

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Guys this mod is fully mod foldered right? Just to be sure that it wont mess up my other mods.
    Duh...

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

I shouldn't have to move my ENTIRE steam library just to play this mod... that's pretty asinine TBH.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Congratulation on release guys, I am very gratefull for your effort. Unfortunatelly I probably wont have possibility to try it at least for a weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    I shouldn't have to move my ENTIRE steam library just to play this mod... that's pretty asinine TBH.
    You shouldn't ever install games, or anything else that might be modified after installation, in Program Files.

We're not being asinine, we're working around the crap that is UAC in modern versions of Windows. It's your choice at the end of the day, do you want a working mod or not?

Maybe, I understand it is not necessarily the programmer's fault if that restriction affects you guys, but the fact remains 99% of software has no trouble with Program Files.

You shouldn't ever install games, or anything else that might be modified after installation, in Program Files.

It's your choice at the end of the day, do you want a working mod or not?
    You don't have to. You can add a new Steam Library folder, then uninstall M2TW or move just M2TW into that new folder and keep the rest where they are. ALL Steam games -can- be bit in the ass by the Program Files protection issue. It's not specific to M2TW and it's not specific to this mod. The team is just trying to save you trouble. If you want, you can just leave it where it is, but then you'll have to check manually whether Windows has cached older copies of the mod's directory whenever you patch. That's more work in the long run, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    Maybe, I understand it is not necessarily the programmer's fault if that restriction affects you guys, but the fact remains 99% of software has no trouble with Program Files.
    Cool. Go ahead and install it in program files, then. Honestly, it probably will work. But it might not, and when it doesn't, just remember to check for that. The best advice is to not even have to deal with that, though, by moving it wholesale.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    You don't have to. You can add a new Steam Library folder, then uninstall M2TW or move just M2TW into that new folder and keep the rest where they are. ALL Steam games -can- be bit in the ass by the Program Files protection issue. It's not specific to M2TW and it's not specific to this mod. The team is just trying to save you trouble. If you want, you can just leave it where it is, but then you'll have to check manually whether Windows has cached older copies of the mod's directory whenever you patch. That's more work in the long run, believe me.
    Thanks, I didn't know you could do that, the Steam link in OP makes it sound like you have to move all your games from the steamapps folder to somewhere else.

BTW the info in the main post is wrong. The 2.1b isnt supposed to be installed in "\mods\EBII\data"
    It creates a "data" folder which means you just point it to "mods/ebii/"

BTW, my game also crashed the first time i started a campaign. I just reinstalled in to check and it happened again.

1. Download the patch and apply. Make sure you point it at [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\data folder

It seems to create data folder inside data folder. So looks like it should be [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII folder

EDIT you beat me

THE HYPE IS SO GLORIOUSLY REAL :O

Praise be to the modders, praise be to the historians!

We praise you, oh mighty ones! *weeps with joy*

Hats off to everyone involved in creating that new level of EB II.

Updated the instructions - I haven't tried the auto-extractor myself, I just copy the directory with the updated files over.

2.1b is excellent. Instead of doing something useful today I played it for hours, good enough for me!

So far I've uploaded 21gb to the torrent stream!