Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marian preview

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Marian preview

That would be paullus, feel free to PM.
    I will update the post later with a FAQ section.

Do some Cohors Reformata fellas have leather cheek guards on their helmets?

Marian cohorts are great, guys. Great thanks! But I beg you, please, could youget rid of those horned helmets of veterans and first cohorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoiyn View Post
    Marian cohorts are great, guys. Great thanks! But I beg you, please, could youget rid of those horned helmets of veterans and first cohorts?
    The simple answer is no. They are attested to in sources and appropriate for the unit.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Why do normal cohorts only have 160 men while first cohorts have over 200? In eb 1 all had over 200 bar the evocatii shouldnt this be the case here too?

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Why do normal cohorts only have 160 men while first cohorts have over 200? In eb 1 all had over 200 bar the evocatii shouldnt this be the case here too?
    First Cohorts were bigger, simply put. Other cohorts were a standard size that was smaller than the First Cohort.

EB1 isn't really an authoritative source for EBII on anything.

On cohort size, we'd prefer to be able to modify a lot of unit sizes. It would be nice if we could show the standard cohort as 240 and the first cohort as 480, just to convey the differences between the cohort system and the manipular system. But within the limitations we can't do that. The first cohort is larger because it is supposed to be, which necessarily requires a smaller size for the standard cohort.

Beautiful units! Not a fan of the horned helmets though, probably because it's not what I think of when I imagine Marian units. But if the EBII says they are authentic to the unit then who am I to say otherwise. Good work though!

I understand the units previewed are early-Marian units, will we get to see something like this in later versions?

I must say that horned helmets do look horrible. Are there any plans to include more Italic pre-marian units, like Brutii, Lucanians, Samnites? Will Camillian and Polybian general units remain the same?

I like how the horned helmets look... although I would consider them a security risk in a fight, and wouldn't wear such a helmet myself. Maybe for showing off lol.

I really don't get the problem with the horns. I personally love them, and it's mainly because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Lancaster View Post
    it's not what I think of when I imagine Marian units
    They look so completely different and alien to what anyone envisions when they think "roman legionary", and it's awsome. It gives them the distinct feeling, these are not your normal legionaries, these are veterans, crack troops that have done amazing things to merit those decorations. Every other soldier in the army probably knows them by name.

I think they look badass, which is what they're supposed to be

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

I think they look awesome. breaks with the Hollywood norm of clone armies the people think of when they think about roman legions. the cohortes are an old picture from a member that isn't in the team anymore as far as i know. An yes there will be more oscan, campanian, venetic units in eb

What are sources for those horned evocatii helmets?

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Regarding the first cohort size, I was under impresion that it was more or less the same as the regular cohort in the republican period and get bigger only in the principate.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    What are sources for those horned evocatii helmets?
    Did you see those late Republican monumental relief carvings and sculptures in the spoiler tags of the OP?

In either case, not every soldier in the units with horned helmets has them (i.e. a variety of helmets are shown), and for that matter not every Marian unit has them either, so it's not a big deal even if you dislike them. It would be questionable and problematic if EVERY soldier had them. Then I'd raise an eyebrow or two at the EB II team.

In case anyone's interested (and for some reason hasn't seen them yet, most likely due to not being able to play the game yet), here's some snapshots I took of the pre-Marian, Polybian units:

TRIARII:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PEDITES EXTRAORDINARII:

PRINCIPES:

HASTATI:

VELITES:

EQUITES:

What sources? Horned helmets may have religious meaning, but that doesn't makes sense. Gauls could just hit those horns and helmet could fly away, injure the head and leave it unprotected . I suppose that evocati wore their favourite old rusty gear, that saved their lives for the years of service, with some decorations

Hitting the horns to knock off a helmet, what is this some film? And, if that was possible, wouldn't crests also be a problem.

I dont know why people have such a huge problem with horns on helmets. They look really cool and there were other cultures that hand them.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I dont know why people have such a huge problem with horns on helmets. They look really cool and there were other cultures that hand them.
    Totally agree that they look cool. I do consider them an unwise addition for a combat helmet though. They give the enemy something to grab (piercings, overly long cloaks, long hair, beards, and moustaches tend to be bad stuff for soldiers as well). The horns on the Marian Evocati are not that big, so it's OK for them - also, I am wondering if those horns are easily removable. If one can remove them by simply pulling or wiggling them out, the soldier wearing such a helmet might be able to get free from a grip without trouble.
    Last edited by Rad; January 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    They give the enemy something to grab
    So, you have your trusty sword in one hand, and your heavy shield in the other. In front of you is one of these horned, masked, heavy armored badass-mofos armed with a gladius and a very bad attitude. You get very, very (very!) close to him, enough that you can grab his horns, and then you pause for a second. You need a free hand to grab them. Do you drop your weapon, or do you drop your shield?

And then you get gutted. Another day in the life of a legionary. They always try going for the horns!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast